• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time walkers

mcpat

Hi all
i hope ye can be patient with me. both myself and a friend want to do 1 week of this walk for the first time this year soon in next 2 weeks we hope. just was looking for advice on where to walk, where to fly into to how to get to where the walk begins etc, basically any info that will help us with the walk
kind regards

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi mcpat. Give us some specifics and we'll all run off an consult our notes to advise! Where are you flying from? Do you have a week to walk, or does the week include the travelling either end of the walk?

hi
it was kinda a last minute idea id say flying from cork city to destination, the walk would include the traveling id imagine. possible dates are 5th sept for a 5 day period. if im bn honest im not sure where we have to fly to etc so any help be great

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tricky. You don't have much time. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

If you just want to get started on the Camino and intend to continue later, you can get a flight from Dublin to Biarritz, local bus into Bayonne and train to Saint Jean Pied de Port arriving in the evening. Enough time to pick up your pilgrim passport, find a bed and get walking the next day. You could make it to Puente la Reina or Estella (depending how fit you are - PlR took me 5 days and Estella 6 days but I wasn't fit at all) and then fly back maybe from Bilbao. You'd have to check connections from these towns to an appropriate airport. Advantages: Lovely scenery, starting with other pilgrims, Pamplona, Pilgrims Monument on Alto de Perdon. Disadvantages: You might feel you're just getting into it and making friends when you have to leave...and you don't see Santiago!

If you're not sure you'd want to pick it up again later you could do the last 120km or so from Sarria to Santiago. I'm not sure where you'd fly to from Ireland, maybe Madrid or Santiago? and then train to Sarria. You could do that walk in 5 days. Advantages: You see Santiago, and having done 100km+ you are certified as a pilgrim. Disadvantages: The Camino changes character in the last 100km or so, as it gets very busy as large groups and bus tours etc join. There is some nice scenery, but apart from Santiago itself you miss out on the classic Pilgrim sites along the way.

If you can be flexible by a day or two it could make a huge difference to your trip. Other forum users will no doubt have alternative suggestions. I've only done the Camino Frances, so maybe a different route would suit your schedule better. Buen Camino!

thanks again
i think i will be traveling from stansted so where would this take me to place wise ? id i was going to france or spain to do the walk

Ha! McPat. I don't think you'll ever be a travel agent! From Stansted...if you want to do the start of the Camino fly to Biarritz (France). If you want to do the end fly to Santiago, get the bus back to Sarria and walk from there.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sorry McPat. No offence. Confused by the airports. Cork seems like a non-starter, so it's Dublin or via Stansted etc. France/Spain are apparently better for accommodation etc than some of the other Caminos, so that's a plan. Are you tavelling with Keith from Cork?

no dont know a keith in cork. so you would go with the start of the camino rather then the end of it ?? if you had the option ? do ya have to book hostels before ya get there ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There's a guy posting under keithrevenge from Cork who's on this forum. He's leaving soon as well.

The start is nicer for scenery, and atmosphere in my opinion (see previous post). However, you are pushed for time, so it's all a balance. You'll have to work out your flight options because that is the key. The start is more awkward to get to and from. A radical option is to fly to Biarritz, walk to Pamplona (3-4 days) and then walk part of day 5 (e.g. to the pilgrim monument) and return to Pamplona. From Pamplona you can get to Bilbao, Madrid etc to fly home relatively easily.

Doing the end is easier because you can get a return flight to Santiago so all you have to do is get the bus back to Sarria and then walk back to Santiago. You might never go back and do the rest, though, and the rest is the best.

By the way, I never booked any accommodation in advance. That was April-May, though.

hi tyrrek
thanks for all the help. I think we will probably start near santiago as you said flights will be easier. i feel this will be a trip we will complete over the stay there and we will be going back there to do it in more detail in the future, anymore tips would be greatly appreciated. oh if we bring luggage can this be moved on at a minimal cost to our next hostel destination ?? also any tips what to walk with ie water etc would be great

That trip sounds like a sensible one given your limited time. For general advice just look through the wealth of information on this site.

There are companies who move luggage for you but that means you have to know exactly where you're staying and book in advance, so it takes away your freedom a bit. Rightly or wrongly there is also a certain kudos about carrying your own pack on the Camino if you're physically able!

For water I had a water bag in my pack with a tube to my mouth (variously called bladders or Platypus etc). Mine was 2l but I usually filled it to 1.5l, as any water is obviously extra weight. The advantage of these is that you don't have to keep reaching round to your pack if you need a quick sip, although there are alternatives such as water bottles in a kind of holster. Many villages have water fountains, so just keep refreshing your water and topping up when you see one.

Apart from a couple of changes of clothes you don't need much 'equipment' as such. Good boots, of course, which you've already worn in. Some people like walking poles, although I didn't use them myself. You'll be walking in the rainiest part of Spain so have at least a waterproof jacket and make sure your clothes are not heavy fabric so easy to dry.

Start slowly, take breaks when you need them, look after your feet (see various threads on here) and you'll be in Santiago before you know it. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
just wondered what your views on most economical way to get there dublin to london and then onward ?? any reasonable price airlines you would rec ? thanks again

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The direct (Aer Lingus) flight is definitely the best option, although it is very expensive at this time of year and at short notice.

Having to connect is a pain, but if you're flying from Dublin rather than Cork and can find a good deal there'd be no reason to go through London any more than Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid etc. At the moment Expedia suggests Dublin-Santiago via Madrid is cheapest, although it's a long wait in Madrid and you don't arrive in Santiago until midnight.

You may be lucky and get a cheap charter flight from Dublin to Madrid or Barcelona. Spain has a couple of low cost airlines (Spanair and Veuling) which would connect to Santiago. However you'd have to check timings very carefully and if you missed a connection there would be no comeback as there would be if you had booked your whole journey with the same airline.

I'm afraid by any method it's unlikely to be very cheap at this time of year, so maybe bite your tongue and go for the straightforward option if you can.

Leave
Mon, Sep 5
Iberia 8059
operated by Air Nostrum

Iberia $680 inclusive R/T For 1st week and 2nd week in Sept. Prices may go down by booking in Sept.

Depart:
2:40pm
Arrive:
6:05pm

Dublin, Ireland (DUB)
Madrid, Spain (MAD)

1 stop in MAD

2hr 25min

McPat needs to get to Santiago, or at least Sarria, though. The connecting plane doesn't leave Madrid until 22.45. It may be possible to get a train or bus to Sarria instead, but it's a bit late in the day for that. And the Iberia option probably isn't much cheaper than Aer Lingus.

I've no idea how old you are McPat. Any chance of a student/young persons deal etc?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
McPat,
I live in Cork, and have walked the Camino in 2005, Sarria to Santiago.
Tyrrek and arn have given you very good advice.
Seeing as you are just beginning to research , and travelling in 2 weeks leaves little time to pick up airline bargains.
I would also recommend Dublin to Santiago via Aer Lingus, but prices have shot up to Eu 200 for next few weeks.
If you had booked a few months back, prices were Eu 24 each way.

Another option from Cork to Santiago,
is Cork to Stansted, and then Stansted to Santiago via Ryanair, prices are cheaper.

Seeing as you do not seem to be very familiar with the Camino, or its location,
I think you should consider going with a guided tour.
On your doorstep , a guided tour travels from Cork on 10th Sept to 17th Sep,
check Barters Travel shop in Patrick St, Cork, their web page below,
being led by Michael Grainger, also his web page below. Price Eu 615, staying at B &B.
Walk 111km of the Camino de Santiago, with experienced tour guide Michael Grainger, Sarria to Santiago.

http://www.travelnet.ie/offer.htm?id=40

http://michaelgraingercaminowalking.com/

hi all
many thanks for all your help :D only problem is planning to return to either cork/dublin on the sat but cant find any reasonable prices for flights for 2 from santiago de compostela

mcpat

I assume you have checked Ryainair Stanstead to Santiago for prices and availability?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dearest fellow pilgrims,
I've 2 queries to help me out on my forthcoming camino and I'm hoping to squeeze some info out of you experienced pilgrims.
1 When travelling from Santiago airport to Sarria late afternoon on Thursday do I buy bus tickets at the airport or seperately on each bus?
2 When arriving in to sarria late vening on Thursday where should I stay? I'm guesisng all the hostels will be full by that time.
I'm starting the camino by myself and whilst I'm confidnet that I'll be able to hook up with people the following day I'd welcome the chance to some walkers on my first night.

Thanks for taking time to read this post. I'd really appreciate your help.

Hi Oonagh. Is it Thursday of next week that you're going?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not going to be much help, I'm afraid. Sarria was one of the few places where I found it relatively difficult to find accommodation, as I also arrived quite late. I ended up in an overpriced and not very good hostel, which I wouldn't recommend. See what other people think, but if there's one night where it might be worth making a reservation in advance and/or paying that little bit extra for a (nice!) hostel as opposed to albergue, this could be it. It gives peace of mind. Hopefully other people on this site will have more positive suggestions!

Tyrrek
Thank you for taking time to read and respond to my post.
Any advice about my query re buying bus tickets?

Thanks again

I'm afraid not. I was travelling through from SJPP. Somebody somewhere will advise, though. When I lived in Spain many years ago it was generally the case that for inter-city buses you'd buy a ticket at the ticket office but local ones you'd just buy on the bus. The journey from SDC to Sarria might be a combination of both if you have to change at Lugo, but I really don't know.

See if you can find other peregrinos at the airport or bus station. You may be able to help each other out! Good luck and Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I feel fairly sure that you can buy tickets from the driver. I don't think there is a ticket office at the airport...unless it is out by the bus stop.
Falcon can no doubt tell us. :wink:

Arriving late evening to Sarria on Thurs 1 Sept

Hi pilgrims/walkers
Can anyone suggest accommodation for my first night in Sarria please? I've been advised to book in advance as I'll be arriving late evening after flying into Santiago airport.

Thanks for taking time to read and reply

Oonagh,

In Sarria the Albergue O Durmiñento at Rúa Maior nº 44 is a very nice private albergue. I have stayed there several times. You can reserve by calling in Spain 600 862 508 or +34 982 53 10 99 from elsewhere.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hi all so looks like the trip is on :D excited and nervous so gang just wondering where it is we should stay over the first night etc ?? do i need to book in advance flying into santiago and then hopefully walking from there so i get a bus into sarra right ? sorry for the questions just wana be sure im going to do this right

mspath said:
Oonagh,

In Sarria the Albergue O Durmiñento at Rúa Maior nº 44 is a very nice private albergue. I have stayed there several times. You can reserve by calling in Spain 600 862 508 or +34 982 53 10 99 from elsewhere.

Buen Camino!

That was kind of you to reply and give me this info mspath, thank you, I'm very grateful.
I just phoned the hostel and they don't take reservations.
Any other ideas?

Whey hey! Glad you got sorted McPat. Let us know how you decided to get there in the end - it could be useful for others in future.

Oonagh - I don't know what's going on with the albergue that mspath kindly recommended. I found a Spanish website that said it takes reservations, and obviously mspath has done so in the past. I'm still confident that someone else on this site will have good suggestions for both you and McPat, who are now in a similar situation.

Given the shortage of time, perhaps post a new, specific topic on the forum like 'Arriving late in Sarria - where to stay?' That might get responses more quickly.

Whatever happens, don't worry. I never heard of anyone sleeping on the streets! It's only a question of getting somewhere you're happy with. When you've travelled all day it's nice to know there's somewhere waiting for you.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
everyone if ye dont mind id like some help with the following questions
1 how do we get from santiago to sarra ?

2 how do we get our bags moved to the next place we are staying ( luggage bags)

3 what is the exact journey we want to go from sarra to the church? and do we book places to stay in advance

4 does anyone have a set list of places to stay are there many people to a room ? or can it be 2 in a room

5 where do we get the passports for the walk

many thanks im sure i left out other questions

Oonagh,

Try this link caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergues/ then go to Etapa 26 Triacastela- Sarria and click on any of the last 8 albergues which are private in Sarria. Good luck!

MSPath

mcpat said:
everyone if ye dont mind id like some help with the following questions
1 how do we get from santiago to sarra ?

2 how do we get our bags moved to the next place we are staying ( luggage bags)

3 what is the exact journey we want to go from sarra to the church? and do we book places to stay in advance
4 does anyone have a set list of places to stay are there many people to a room ? or can it be 2 in a room
5 where do we get the passports for the walk
many thanks im sure i left out other questions[/quote

1. Bus from airport
2. Hopefully you are taking backpacks with a very minimum weight..and you carry them.
There are many other posts about the stuff to pack.
3. Follow the yellow arrows that mark the way....actually just follow the other pilgrims.
4. You will want to stay in the albergues along the way. Again, there is a wealth of info on this site. Other pilgrims will point you to the albergues, etc.
5. You can get passport at the albergue in Sarria.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
mcpat said:
thank you grayland and everyone for the help
any other advice is greatly welcomed :D
See if you can get a cheap flight to Barcelona, then bus to Pamplona (42 Euros Rountrip). You can start from Roncesvalles or from Sant Jean Pied de Port; you can take the bus to either one from Pamplona. Check the seasonal schedules.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
mcpat said:
hi
what is the story with luggage is there a way it can be picked up and moved on from location to location ??
Yes, many options; check Jacotrans.com. At 9 Euros/day/suitcase NTE 25 pounds.

hi all we flying kerry to madrid then on to santiago ryanair was the most reasonable then return santiago to madrid then on to dubin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: luggage, when I was on the Camino Frances I saw many taxis advertising that they transport "mochilas," or backpacks. You're lucky on the Camino Frances -- because it's so popular, taxi service for mochilas is very cheap. When I walk the VDLP and send luggage ahead, I pay dearly -- about 1 euro per kilometer. It's my biggest expense by far. But I have no choice, as I need to carry a laptop and various heavy camera equipment for the app I'm creating.

Buen Camino!

Melanie

McPat,
Great you found imaginative route to Santiago.
I checked Kerry Airport and cannot find any flights to Madrid, but flights to Alicante.
Have you allowed sufficient time to walk from Sarria to Santiago ?
You mentioned 5 days.
You might give time of day arrival in Santiago, and readers can give you times of
buses to Sarria, via Lugo.

Here's a suggested list below of distance from Sarria to Santiago.
I hope you are not seriously thinking of bringing luggage on a walking trip,
bring backpack.

DAY 1– Sarria to Portomarin 23km 
DAY 2– Portomarín to Palace do Rei 23km
DAY 3– Palace do Rei to Arzùa 28km
DAY 4– Arzùa to Rùa-O Pino 18km
DAY 5–Rúa to Santiago de Compostela 19km

sorry its kerry stansted then on to santiago :D hoping to get a lend of back packs because only have gearbags. we arrive in santiago at 8pm sunday night then return home saturday. any rec for a place to stay sunday night in sarria ?? somewhere nice possible to have own toilet facilities
thanks again

€83,-
McPat,
You say you arrive at 8pm at Santiago Airport.
A bus stops outside airport at 8.10pm and you arrive at Sarria at 11pm, 3 hours.
If you can dash from plane, and run outside Airport, second stop on right,
and wait for bus Empresa Freire travelling to Lugo.
It is a small airport.
This is the last bus for the day.

The trip to Sarria comprises 2 buses, Santiago to Lugo, 2 hours arrives Lugo 21:55 price approximately Eu 6, bus company EmpresaFreira, and Lugo to Sarria departs from Lugo at 22:30 and arrives at Sarria at 23:00 price Eu 3.40, bus company Alsa, same bus station at Lugo.
Lugo is a beautiful walled town.
By the way tickets can be purchased on bus.
I took this bus on the one and only time I have walked the Camino.
Hotels in Sarria, I stayed in Hotel Oca Ville de Sarria, and found it comfortable and very close to start of Camino.
Remember, if booking , to deal directly with Hotels, as has been demonstrated on this forum and elsewhere, If you cancel with an internet booking site, you can lose your money.

Web pages of bus companies, times and prices are given
http://www.empresafreire.com/
and
http://www.alsa.es/

Web pages are in Spanish, can be translated.
A wonderful browser which I use instead of Internet Explorer is Google Chrome, which translates the pages immediately, wonderful on Spanish web sites, download now at
http://www.google.com/chrome
Times of buses from Santiago Airport daily to Lugo are
7:10 11:10 16:10 18:40 20:10.
This same bus leaves Santiago de Compostela 10 minutes earlier.
Times of buses from Lugo to Sarria daily from 12:00 on are
13:45 18:35 20:45 22:30, duration 30 minutes.
I have obtained these times on above bus companies for date Sunday 4th September.

BUT McPat,
You said flight arrives at 8pm, but I have checked Ryanair from London Stansted to Santiago de Compostela on Sunday 4th September, and it says it arrives at 20:50, i.e. 8:50pm, so you have missed last bus, and will have to stay overnight in or near Santiago, can you check ?
If so , you will not need stay in Sarria, but get the morning bus to Sarria, and start walking from there.

McPat

Take the good advice from Springhill6 and check your flight times carefully.

Usually the number in the backpack's name is also its size (in litres). As the one you linked to is numbered 80 it's probably twice as big as you need. Even if you're only walking for a week or so and get a smaller pack I don't think you'll get away with taking it as hand luggage.

I'm not sure about Ryanair's policy but I think in this case it might be better to go online and amend your booking to include luggage as soon as possible (and pay a bit extra) than try your luck at the airport (and pay a lot extra).

There are tricks to get round baggage restrictions if you're clever about it, especially when you're travelling with someone else, but that's probably another thread!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
hello again
we have to stop over in santiago the night we arrive sunday as we miss the last bus just wondered what peoples thoughts were about this accom either for the night we arrive or possibly the night before we return home Hospedería San Martín Pinario ?
kind regards
pat :D

mcpat do not go offline in next 10 minutes, will be back with santiago hostel 5 minutes walk from bus station

Pat

I have stayed at the Meiga Backpackers Hostel several times, the last being December 2010.

Tel 981 57 08 46. http://www.meiga-backpackers.es.

Rua dos Basquinos 67.

It is five minutes walk from the bus station. You can then catch an early bus to Lugo on Monday morning and then get the Monbus from Lugo to Sarria.

You can by your bus ticket for Lugo at the bus station. It is the Empresa Freira service (spelling might not be accutae but you will quickly see the window for it).

At Lugo pay the bus driver.

Use Google maps to print out a map of Sarria so that you can find the Sarria albergue on Rua Mayor 79. The Rua Mayor is a road on the Camino.

If the albergue is open make sure you get a sello from there. If not a bar sello will be better than none. If a a private albergue - there are several on the Rua Major - is open get a sello and leave a small donation 1€? just to say thankk you.

It is recommended that on the Sarria to Santiago route you should get two sellos a day, though the place where you sleep would be one.

Hi McPat

I stayed in the former seminary up the steps under the arch to the left of the cathedral. It was very nice and good value, and has private en suite rooms for 2 sharing. I can't remember if they asked to see a Pilgrim Passport or not (i.e. whether it's exclusive to pilgrims). You'll certainly be able to stay there on the way home once you've completed your pilgrimage and have the passport stamped etc.

Pat,

I fly Ryanair out of Stanstead. They have let me on with a 35l rucksack, but bigger than that and you will almost certainly have to put it in the hold.

Truthfully, it is worth the extra cost of doing so and as Tyreek says a lot cheaper than the penalty.

ps you can book into the Meiga backpackers online so are guaranteed your bed.

A taxi from the airport to the city was 16€ in December 2010 but there is usually a bus waiting for the Ryanair flights which will take you at a fraction of that cost to the bus station.

McPat

You and your friend may save money on baggage by combining your luggage for the flight. The allowance for checking in one bag on Ryanair is about 15kgs. You can also take about 5kgs each as hand baggage so that's 25kgs in total. That's more than you need between you for the Camino.

If I were you and your friend I'd put one empty backpack into the other. Then fill the rest of the backpack with as much stuff as you can (without going over the 15 kg limit). Any additional stuff goes in light day packs which you take onto the plane with you (5kg each). Remember size as well as weight is an issue for hand baggage. Doing it this way could save £60+ between you as you have 4 separate flights. That's several nights in an albergue!

Make sure anything liquid, including toothpaste etc is in the bag that you check in as it might not get through security if Ireland has similar rules to the UK.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yep. Pronounced 'sell-yo'. (Roughly)

we arrive sunday night at 8.50pm is there a train at around this time to sarria or will we just have to saty in santiago for the night
thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You would have to take a taxi to the train station.

There is no direct train service to Sarria. You have to go to Lugo. There is no train to Sarria. You have to take a bus.

http://www.renfe.com for train timetables.

Please take it from me, even assuming that your plane is not delayed, getting to Sarria on the Sunday night without taking a taxi is going to be almost impossible. This part of Spain does not do 24 hour lifestyle and Sunday is a true day of rest for the Spanish in this part of the world.

Though taxis are relatively cheap the journey is over 100km. There are companies which do a Santiago to Sarria run but you would need to use the search engine to find details and I suspect you would be looking at 80€ minimum. They might not even be prepared to give you a price for a Sunday night. Maybe ask the question in a new thread.

Most pilgrim hostals bed down at 22.00, maybe 23.00 on occasions. That means the doors are locked and you cannot book in.

Stay in Santiago. You can then get up refreshed and get to Sarria on Monday morning. It will be possible to walk the 23km to Portomarin, which is a town, before the darkness comes in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pat,

If you really want to try and get to Sarria on a Sunday night you might like to look at this forum page.

traveling-to-from-the-camino/topic11090.html

Apart from the expense, assuming that they would not load extra for it being a Sunday night and assuming they would take you, getting in to Sarria at 11.00pm is really late. The municipal albergue will have closed down at 10.00pm. Whether a private albergue would take you that late, I don't know.

A hotel will be expensive.

According to my journal the Santiago to Sarria fare last December was
Bus to Sarria 8.35€.
Empresa Monforte. Lugo-Sarria. 3.35€

I paid 13€ at the Meiga, though that was winter's prices.

Is the massive cost of getting to Sarria on Sunday night, plus hotel bill, going to be worth it?

As an experienced Camino walker I would say, Santiago on Sunday night and then bus out.

hello
just wondering if anyone can remember the name of the monestery near the catherdial that was converted into accomodation was looking to book this for the last night before we depart was looking at this San Francisco Hotel Monumento but so pricey :D pr any other recs something with history/character

Thanks Peregrina2000. That's the one I was thinking of. It's a nice mix of the old and the new. I don't think I ever knew its name even though I stayed 2 nights. I was dragged in there by fellow peregrinos after I staggered into Santiago and didn't ask questions!

Looks interesting and I have saved the link but the prices....

Beyond my budget I'm afraid, but if you have the money cheaper than the Hotel Reyes. The Reyes does have history and character. being the oldest hotel in the world. It was the medieval albergue built on the orders of one of the kings to accomodate pilgrims. They used to sleep in the cathedral and he wanted them out so the place was built as both a hospital and a dormitory. It has it's own chapel. But check the prices first; it is now a 5 star parador.

I stay at the Seminario Menor. The albergue is basic but only cost me 10€ in 2009. You have to be out by 10.00am with your rucksack, though can book in again later. I have never had a problem phoning for a taxi to the airport from the building. It is both an albergue and a seminary that trains young boys to be priests. It has a long history but in terms of character, no. But it suits cheap and cheerful me.

I have used the Meiga as my last night venue simply because of ease of access to the bus station and as the price includes sheets and pillow cases it is nice not to have to sleep in a sleeping bag.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Thank you peregrina2000 for the link. It is nice to have another option even if it is not for me.

I only paid about 23 Euros for a private room with bathroom. It had bunk beds but I got it for single use. I assume it would be a bit more if 2 people were staying but still quite reasonable.

Perhaps there's a pilgrim part and a part for the general public? It's a huge building.

€83,-
I popped in a date in September for a single room and got 85€. My search stopped there!

I guess as with all things on the Camino it is best to check when you know exactly when you will be staying or just see what rate they offer on the day. The website does say that prices vary and I guess if they are looking to fill beds they will drop the price accordingly.

23€ is still more than I would want to pay, but maybe for one night, so that I could explore the place in the afternoon, I would consider it.

On principal I have always tried to do the Camino as cheaply as possible; it is part of my spiritual journey. I have also been medically retired for three years and my pension does not stretch to anywhere near what my stipend was. I return to part-time work tomorrow and I hope that will make a difference!

But I thank you for the information because when I next get to Santiago I will see if I can afford it as I would like to explore it.

"Where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn".

hi
just wondered i have friends asking about giving me petitions like you can do in lourdes is this possible ?? is there a place to put them in the catherdial
thanks

Very good question McPat. If you mean leaving pieces of paper as you might at the Western Wall in Jerusalem, I think the answer is no. However you could take a list of people who asked (or even those who didn't) to be prayed for and note them in your mind or read them when you finish your pilgrimage at the Cathedral.

When I arrived at the Cathedral I tried to remember people along the Camino who had been especially kind along the way, or locals who had said 'Buen Camino' when it wasn't expected, or had enthusiastically pipped their car horn when they saw I was a pilgrim etc.

I think this question probably merits a separate thread if there isn't one already. I'm sure everyone has petitions (from themselves or others) when they arrive.

the sello . i get one in the accom but where do i obtain the second
when we arrive in sarria we go to the church to get the passport yes ?

Hi McPat

When you get your pilgrim passport it will have a stamp in it to show where you started. After that you'll need to get one in every place you stay. It doesn't have to be an albergue; any hotel/hostal/bar etc. Some people get as many stamps as they can as a souvenir. It's mainly about proving that you've walked the distance, so it doesn't really matter whether you got the stamp in a church or a pub. Try to get 2 each day and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Keith

tyrrek said:
Hi McPat

When you get your pilgrim passport it will have a stamp in it to show where you started. After that you'll need to get one in every place you stay. It doesn't have to be an albergue; any hotel/hostal/bar etc. Some people get as many stamps as they can as a souvenir. It's mainly about proving that you've walked the distance, so it doesn't really matter whether you got the stamp in a church or a pub. Try to get 2 each day and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Keith
Actually, it is advised that you get a stamp where you stay each night..the 2nd stamp can come from a pub, church, etc.
The issue of the certificate is predicated on walking at least the 100 km (Sarria) and the stamps are your proof. Be sure they are dated and get two each day.

Hi Mcpat,

Most bars have sello's on the counter for your use. A lot of the Churches that are open will give
you a sello ,Sometimes they have a table near the door with somebody on duty to apply the Sello, sometimes you have to go to the Sacristan and ask specifically for the sello.

You will pass many bars and at least two Churches most days on the Camino.

In Sarria the church is on the main street on the way up to the highest part of the town. the Passports are available in the Church Porch. If the Church is shut you should get Passports in the tourist office but that is located about 2 k back at the entrance to the town.

Buen Camino

Thanks Grayland. Yes, I should have been more specific. Am I right in thinking this is more important on the relatively short Caminos? I walked the Frances from SJPP a few months ago and I just got one stamp a day (usually where I was staying but not necessarily so). That seemed to be fine, but I'm thinking of doing the Ingles shortly and saw advice to get at least two stamps daily.

tyrrek said:
Thanks Grayland. Yes, I should have been more specific. Am I right in thinking this is more important on the relatively short Caminos? I walked the Frances from SJPP a few months ago and I just got one stamp a day (usually where I was staying but not necessarily so). That seemed to be fine, but I'm thinking of doing the Ingles shortly and saw advice to get at least two stamps daily.

The advice from the Pilgrim Office is that you should have at least two stamps each day from Sarria on. You are right that it is important on the last leg and does not matter too much on the early parts. The fact is that if you walked from SJPP to Sarria and then skipped on to Santiago...you would not get a Compostela :shock:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Tyrrek,

2009 walked the Inglés from Ferrol to SDC and had no problems getting two sellos a day.

The CSJ guide also has a good list of where they are available.

Try to give yourself enough time to walk the A Coruna leg as well. Having done Ferrol to SDC I intended only to walk to Hospital de Bruma where the 2 legs meet (The Camino Inglés is best thought of as a Y) but decided to walk back to SDC to "complete" my journey.

Thanks Methodist Pilgrim

I've seen your posts on the Ingles forum, which are very helpful. I'm still researching but hoping to head off in the next couple of weeks. No doubt I'll be asking you some specific questions over the next few days!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hi all
just wondering if anyine cud recommend a list of nice possible private accom from sarria onwards. we are staying in santiago the first nite and then walking from there

Arn. I just booked flight today and am off next week so unfortunately we won't overlap. I'll be interested to hear about your Portugues, though. I have that lined up for next year!

mcpat said:
hi all
just wondering if anyine cud recommend a list of nice possible private accom from sarria onwards. we are staying in santiago the first nite and then walking from there
Hi mcpat,
John Brierleys guide gives a really good list of places to stay across all budgets so I'd try to get hold of a copy or if it's too expensive just take a notes for the stages. The contact details he provides ph email www etc are upto date and accurate.
Have a wonderful journey.
Nell

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi All

Just to clarify the situation about the Seminary at the side of the Cathedral in Santiago. I asked the receptionist when I stayed there this week. There is a peregrino part and a general public part, but the entrance to the building, reception, and dining area are the same. For pilgrims it's still 23 Euros for a single room. A couple in front of me at the reception were charged 75 Euros for a double room in the other part. Prices include breakfast.

If, like me, you turn up looking scruffy and smelly with a backpack they'll know where to put you.

No discount for crutches as far as I'm aware. Although they and/or walking poles will further convince them that you should be in the 23 Euros category.

And just one more p.s., though it probably won't be an issue at this time of year. Rooms in the albergue part cannot be reserved online, but you can call in ahead of time for a reservation. This past June, I called in around 4-5 days ahead of arrival in Santiago, but the albergue part was full.

If you want to call, the desk can be reached at 981 56 0282 (if calling from US, add 011 34).

Lucky Arn and others, oh what I would give to be able to walk a fall Camino! Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back