• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time walking the Camino del Norte

mark_dt

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully Bilbao to Santiago July 2018
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could provide me with any rough timings as I'm planning on flying into Bilbao on Sunday 29 June and then starting the following day. Would it be realistic to fly out from Santiago de Compostela on Wednesday 1st August? Or would I be cutting it too close. Also what sort of daily budget would be the lowest you could get away with especially if you bought a tent?

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Are you planning to head out the next day from Bilbao or will you be heading over to Irun and starting from there? If from Bilbao, you have plenty of time. From Irun it depends on your fitness level.

I can't help with your budget question because I was there at a different time of year. My understanding is that it costs more in July and August due to being in a coastal tourist area.

I'm planning on just heading straight out from Bilbao and then walking it from there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could provide me with any rough timings as I'm planning on flying into Bilbao on Sunday 29 June and then starting the following day. Would it be realistic to fly out from Santiago de Compostela on Wednesday 1st August? Or would I be cutting it too close. Also what sort of daily budget would be the lowest you could get away with especially if you bought a tent?

Thanks
I’m also starting from Bilbao and giving myself roughly a month. Looking at the stages it should be enough time. Have a great journey. I’m starting a month ahead of you. Nadine

Great you are doing the Norte.

I hope to start about mid April. From Irun

I take a light weight tent or a hammock on all of my caminos.

Most of the time I used them outside the arburgue.
Few times stealth camped.

No fires, cooking, lights, smoking, etc.
Leave no trace.

I never enter a fenced area or property.

Good luck

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.