• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time

JonWhiten

Frustrated :)
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - 24.07.2017 - 21.08.2017
Next?
I'm planning my itinerary from SJPdP to SdC and have so far committed to a 5week trip out of the uk commencing Monday 24th July. But... one of the main objectives of the trip is to disconnect and go with the flow.

Physical preparation for the trip has so far included some long walks on the weekend of around 27-30km and the plan is to up the frequency in the weeks up to the Camino.

My question therefor is: how realistic would it be to outline a series of daily milestones and just make sure that on each day I meet or exceed that point before seeking a bed for the night? My feeling is that, once I have banked some extra distance, I'd be free to become more flexible and take-in whatever presented itself to me.

Do you think that this could work?

Thanks ;oj

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Horses for Courses. Nice mid plan there that makes good sense if you're happy about it.

Many pilgrims book all their hotels along the route in advance or they go through a 3rd party facilitator. No flexibility.

Many just prefer to see how they feel each day bed on many variables such as weather, physical condition, friends, party the night before ...

Welcome Jon,

Daily milestones can be tough depending on your daily life schedule and how you can fit it in. I work out daily and walked 10-15km a day each day before my first camino for a year. It definitely helped me and is really more than I needed. Like you I disconnected and went with the flow. I really enjoyed it and felt liberated. When I look back through my personal journal I see many challenges and what some would call difficulties. When I think back all I remember is that it was wonderful!

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like your plan. Learn what your limits are early in the trek, and build up some extra miles. Then you can enjoy more flexibility later on. Hopefully your scheule allows you to do less than your limit on most days. Our experience was that we set a goal every morning, one that was certainly achievable, and then somedays we exceeded that goal. Also, as you could expect, we got stronger / faster during the trek.

Making a plan and having milestones is how many people prepare for an unknown. And that's just fine! I know I did the same thing. After all, how can you know until you have done it. Like most you'll also likely find that your fears/concerns about completing a daily stage, or for that matter the entire CF, within your time frame were unfounded but that is the beauty of hindsight!

On your 2nd Camino you will prep in a whole different way. For this one, enjoy the nerves and anticipation and try your best to relax and go with the flow. Wishing you an amazing experience! Buen Camino Peregrino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think practicing longer walking distances is a good idea. I hadn't done much over 20-25km and the first week was quite a learning curve. That said, I got the hang of quickly enough. I have only ever booked non-albergue accommodation (eg hotels or gites in bigger cities). Everything else we just found along the way. As for flexibility, I would set some not too strenuous goals for the first few days and then see how you feel.

One of the best bits about having five weeks to walk was the time to have a long day or short day whenever we felt like it, to stop if a place seemed nice or keep going if it didn't. I don't think the first week is the place to bank extra distance. What you do to yourself that week can have repercussions for your whole camino in terms of overuse injuries and departing toenails. Buen camino!

Thanks for the input. Some great encouragement and good for thought. It is the first day or two that scares me the most.

Having very roughly sketched out some daily "stages", none of them looks to be a problem on their own. What I don't know, however, is what the cumulative effect on me (and my legs/feet) will be :)

Buen Camino, ;oj

Hi Jon, I'm a little more than half way through my first Camino Frances. I trained 2 month, 4-5 times a week doing 15-20km with a 9kg backpack on moderately hilly terrain near sea level. That was not enough to make the climb up to Orisson easy.
You may be in better physical shape and/or younger than me(62yr) so your mileage may very.

BUT...after that first day it got easier and easier as I got stronger and acclimated.
Yes, you will probably fight blisters and sore muscles and end-of-day fatigue. But you will not likely feel accumulative physical degradation. Instead you will feel a growing sense of capability. Each morning you will likely wonder what you will see and accomplish today.
My biggest concern is, what will I do when I reach Santiago? How do I down shift?

Buen Camino!

-jgp

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don't believe that extensive preparation is necessary. Within a few days you will be okay walking 20+ kms and after a week you'll happily do 30+ if you want/need to.

I did the Frances from Sarria to Santiago with no prep as a test run and within 2 days was fine with 20+ kms (I am 67 y.o. with gammy knees and carried all my stuff all the way with no baggage carry forward), last year I did all of the Frances to Santiago with a few jump by bus because of time. Not that I couldn't have done it all but I decided to overstay in some places because I loved them so much (Pamplona, Estella (they had a running of the baby bulls), Burgos, Castrojeriz, etc.) and that put my strict timetable out of whack and I had to race ahead to be in Madrid to catch my plane.

Last edited:
Maybe you can plan weekly milestones, so you have an idea of how you are progressing given the time available. However, be sure to make the first week a little less ambitious.

... My question therefor is: how realistic would it be to outline a series of daily milestones and just make sure that on each day I meet or exceed that point before seeking a bed for the night? My feeling is that, once I have banked some extra distance, I'd be free to become more flexible and take-in whatever presented itself to me....

I normally do it the other way round (if I have a set date for flying back): I keep a simple list where I write down each day xyz kilometer still to go/days still available. This gives me a good overview how I am doing.

If you try to 'bank some distance' in the beginning, you run the risk of over-exercising/injuries etc. Start slowly and increase distance over time.

Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks again for all the input. I'm torn in that progressively increasing the daily distance during the Camino makes logical sense - I should get stronger each day - I kind of want to crack the walk over the Pyrenees in one go. I dread having a tough first day and then having the spectre of an even harder day two - I'd almost rather over do day o e and then be forced into a rest day.

Of those that have done this, how realistic is it getting to roncesvalles in one day from SJPdP?

Thanks

Jon

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
IMHO getting Roncesvalles in one day is easier than taking a rest day so early in the trip. The first day or two you will likely meet other people who started out the same time as you and you will want to keep walking with them instead of taking a rest day. For me it is very difficult to part with (new) friends.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most people do the walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one go. The forum is only a tiny amount of the people on Camino. Just because lots of people on the forum like to book Orisson doesn't make it the norm. SJPdP to Pamplona in three days is doable.

One of my reasons for booking Orisson was because I would still be fairly well jet lagged after flying from the west coast of the US. Having that extra day helped. I'm sure that I could have done it all in one go, but it was nice not to have to. Without the time zone issue, you shouldn't have a problem.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is encouraging as Pamplona is my day three destination on my first draft plans :)

Thanks
No problem. I've done it twice now and while you'll want to have a little rest stop at Orisson (the bit just preceding it is the steepest section), completing the walk over the mountain is a massive first day achievement. What I did differently on walk two was stop at Zubiri instead of hauling onward to Larrasoana. Not only does it even out the three days walk, it meant I arrived in Pamplona significantly less tired and blistered on day three.

... What I did differently on walk two was stop at Zubiri instead of hauling onward to Larrasoana. Not only does it even out the three days walk, it meant I arrived in Pamplona significantly less tired and blistered on day three.

That makes sense ! Thanks

;oj

Of those that have done this, how realistic is it getting to roncesvalles in one day from SJPdP?

Jon

Up the Pyrennes was tiring but okay. Going down into Roncesvalles destroyed by calf muscles and the muscles on the front of my thighs. Did from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one day. BUT, took me 2 days to be able to recover and be able to walk again without pain but be aware I'm 67 y.o., bad knees (constriction bandages ensured I didn't have any knee problems either up or down or on the Camino), have limited lung capacity, and did no training at all.

I think you'll be fine if you take it easy and do some steep 'downhill' training for the drop into Roncesvalles. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
I'm going to be a day behind you. The cumulative effect can be a real killer.
Planning to do some decent length consecutive day walks (3 or 4) just to check out any potential hot spots on my shoes which might crop up over a series of pounding days.

Up the Pyrennes was tiring but okay. Going down into Roncesvalles destroyed by calf muscles and the muscles on the front of my thighs. Did from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one day. BUT, took me 2 days to be able to recover and be able to walk again without pain but be aware I'm 67 y.o., bad knees (constriction bandages ensured I didn't have any knee problems either up or down or on the Camino), have limited lung capacity, and did no training at all.

I think you'll be fine if you take it easy and do some steep 'downhill' training for the drop into Roncesvalles. :)
The alternative route down the hill is easier, if a lot less picturesque!

Thanks again for all the input. I'm torn in that progressively increasing the daily distance during the Camino makes logical sense - I should get stronger each day - I kind of want to crack the walk over the Pyrenees in one go. I dread having a tough first day and then having the spectre of an even harder day two - I'd almost rather over do day o e and then be forced into a rest day.

Thanks

Jon
Definitely doable. The hardest bit is the ascent to Orisson itself...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm planning my itinerary from SJPdP to SdC and have so far committed to a 5week trip out of the uk commencing Monday 24th July. But... one of the main objectives of the trip is to disconnect and go with the flow.

Physical preparation for the trip has so far included some long walks on the weekend of around 27-30km and the plan is to up the frequency in the weeks up to the Camino.

My question therefor is: how realistic would it be to outline a series of daily milestones and just make sure that on each day I meet or exceed that point before seeking a bed for the night? My feeling is that, once I have banked some extra distance, I'd be free to become more flexible and take-in whatever presented itself to me.

Do you think that this could work?

Thanks ;oj
I would not bother about distance walked etc, it's not a race and you do not know what the next day brings, that is one of the joys of the camino, so go with the flow from day one! You never know what the next day will bring, terrible weather, injury or just a desire to stay awhile, if you plan too much you will miss the spontaneity of it all, like people say,it's not the finishing but the journey itself, that makes the camino what it is, Buen Camino

I have walked the Camino Frances three times - in 23, 25 and 28 days respectively. If you are comfortable walking 25+km in a day over reasonable ground with the load you plan to be carrying then your plan sounds good to me. I wouldn't get too hung up about meeting some quota of km each and every day. When the walking is easy and you feel in good form then you can stretch yourself a little and clock up a few extra km. Then when you do run up against a tough day - weather, the terrain or just your body falling to bits! - you can take things a little easier. Stop if something catches your eye. My own slight hesitation might be that with the pressure on bed space these days those of us who do like to walk longer days can find some trouble finding a bed in late afternoon. If you are fairly sure where your night stop is going to be then booking in advance would take that weight off your mind and leave you free to enjoy your day more. I don't usually bother though and it usually works out ok.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Some great encouragement and good for thought. It is the first day or two that scares me the most.

Having very roughly sketched out some daily "stages", none of them looks to be a problem on their own. What I don't know, however, is what the cumulative effect on me (and my legs/feet) will be :)

Buen Camino, ;oj
The acumulative effect will be you will get stronger as the walk goes on, as long as you don't overdo it in the first week! the first day is hard, just plod on and you will do it, the hardest part of the first day is all the tales and prophets of doom you hear about it! start early in the morning and take you time .......and stop to enjoy the view a few times! I recently completed my 2nd camino, I'm 61 with Parkinsons disease, if I can do it you can, buen camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back