• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time

sejeleme

I have several logistic questions and need help.

I am flying into Madrid March 31 early in the morning. Is there a refugio in Madrid or should I look immediately for a bus/train to St. Jean Pied du Port?

What is the best way to get to St. Jean Pied Du Port from Madrid?

How many days walking is it from St. Jean Pied du Port to Santiago?

What is the weather like from April 1 to April 30?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi sejeleme,

Last thing first, regarding the weather please take a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=51

Regarding how to get from Madrid to St. Jean Pied Du Port, take a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=49

How many days does this take?
Any of the veteran pilgrims should correct me, but isn't 30 days the "normal" time to Santiago from St. Jean Pied Du Port? I would think that this varies from person to person, depending on the number of rest days and so on.

I see you are from Philadelphia, so I am assuming you are arriving to Madrid with the direct flight that US Airways have to Madrid. I have lived one year in Madrid, and I would recommend spending a few hours (one day?) day there. Madrid has a lot to offer.

Regarding refugio in Madrid, I am not sure. I know hotels in Madrid tend to be a bit more expensive that the ones you will find along El Camino.

Does anyone have any experience with refugio in Madrid?

Welcome to Santiago!
Ivar

I am flying into Madrid March 31 early in the morning. Is there a refugio in Madrid or should I look immediately for a bus/train to St. Jean Pied du Port?
To some extent this depends on where you are flying from if a 24hr flight from Australia you will probably want to rest at the nearest reasonably priced hotel. If flying from Europe you will want to get on the coach that day unless seeing Madrid is part of your plans. As far as I know there is no refugio though there are youth hostels and the like in Madrid as well as hotels and hostales (cheap hotels) of all types and cost.

What is the best way to get to St. Jean Pied Du Port from Madrid?

Train Madrid – Pamplona
The Madrid station for Pamplona is Chamartin. Your best way to get there from Barajas Airport is by subway. Follow the signs in the airport and go down to the metro stop. So that you only have to transfer once go to Nuevos Ministerios, transfer to line 10 - direction Fuencarral, get off at Chamartin.
Trains to Pamplona are 7:15 am - arriving 10:55, and 14:10 - arriving 17:38. Train cost 45.50 Euro approx.
Pamplona Station (RENFE), Plaza Estación

Coach Madrid – Pamplona
Coach from Avenida de America station. Get to the station by subway, change at Mar de Cristal and get off at Avenida de America.
Coaches leave at 10:30 - arriving 15:15 and 15:00 arriving 19:15. Coach fare is 22.82 Euro approx.
Pamplona Bus Station, Plaza Conde Oliveto.

Plane Madrid – Pamplona
Iberia flies from Madrid Barajas Airport to Pamplona Airport. The price of a ticket bought in conjunction with an international flight can be quite reasonable. The planes are small.

Bus Pamplona - Roncesvalles
Autobuses Roncesvalles Montañesa (name now changed I think)
Pamplona Bus Station, Plaza Conde Oliveto.
The bus up to Roncesvalles from Pamplona leaves at 18.00 on weekdays, on Saturdays it leaves at 16.00 and there is no bus on Sunday. It will cost you 3.91 Euro approx.

So if you can get a train, coach or plane that gets you to Pamplona by 17.00 hours-ish then you can make Roncesvalles the same day on weekdays.
The alternative is to stay over and enjoy Pamplona (but you will be passing through in a few days time), or taxi to Roncesvalles (expensive though you may be able to share the cost). Economical hotels in Pamplona include Pension Ascaray, Calle Nueva 24, and Pension Lambertini on Calle Mercederes.

Roncesvalles - SJPP It is usually possible to share a taxi with other people who have caught the bus and are doing the same as you.

You can also catch the train to Bayonne in France and then change to the local SJPP line.

How many days walking is it from St. Jean Pied du Port to Santiago?

About 5 weeks though you may take less or even more depending on how long your days are and if you take any rest days.

What is the weather like from April 1 to April 30?
Peter Robins's excelent site http://www.peterrobins.co.uk/camino/weather.html
is the best for weather information.

Buen Camino
William

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back