• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Timer Concerned with Amount of Walking per Day

AlyB

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking the Camino this summer (2015)
Hello all!

I have just graduated from college in the US and want to walk the Camino as a last hurrah since I've been dreaming of doing this for many years now. I was thinking of starting in Pamplona as I've always wanted to visit that city, but I only have about 2 weeks total to make it to Santiago. Is this doable or is this crazy? I am a very athletic and physically fit 22 year-old female (I was a basketball player) and I have a fair amount of hiking experience; however, I have no idea what is the typical walking distance for an average day on the Camino. I know the exact distance will vary from person to person and day to day, but if I could just hear from a number of you what you found your typical daily distance to be and with how many hours per day of walking, that could really help me out. On paper, I would like to think that I could do 20-25 miles a day easily, but I realize that I really don't know anything about the Camino and that walking that far per day every day is a lot more easily said than done.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pamplona to Santiago is about 440 miles (give or take). 440 divided by 14 days of walking = 31 miles per day. Doable? Only you know the answer to that.
When my wife and I walked from Leon to SdC this March we walked less than that per day. It was enjoyable and we weren't "in a hurry".
Hope that helps!

Ron

P.S. Congratulations on your graduation! Woohoo!

I think that, if you've been dreaming about the camino for a while, you won't be honouring this calling if you're worrying about getting there in such limited time…

Most people (although maybe you're not 'most people'!) take about a month to walk from Pamplona to Santiago, and according to the 'traditional' stage-division, 29 days is about average (This isn't the best source but here's a look at the distances at a glance: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/)

I think it might be possible to do it in 2 weeks from Burgos, but even then you'd be pushing it a bit… It gets very hot over the summer, some regions are very hilly, and no matter how fit you are long-distance walking over many consecutive days can give rise to all sorts of complications, blisters being the least of your worries! So, I don't know… maybe start in Pamplona because you've always wanted to go there, walk as far as you can each day, enjoy every amazing conversation and experience along the way, and then come back and finish it another time... Or else just start a bit closer, so you don't feel rushed?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How about you go out on Saturday and walk 30 miles, then do it again on Sunday and see how you feel on Monday. That will give you an idea of whether you're up for that kind of distance. (Remember to wear a pack - just fill it with anything that weighs about 6kg!)

Youth and fitness do not always result in getting to Santiago, and doing too much day after day after day will definitely result in NOT getting there. Only you will know how much too much is--Kiwifamily's idea is actually not a bad one. It'll give you a sense of what to expect. Just to share that most of the people I knew who had to drop out were young, fit, and in a hurry.
If you want to start in Pamplona, you could do that...and see how far you get in 2 weeks, without a set goal.

I just don't think you will have a very "buen Camino" walking 30 miles a day. Having to leave very early, a couple of hours before sunrise and walking all day with few breaks and getting to the albergues late and tired and repeating the next day.
I walked on average 20-25 kilometers a day (approximately 12-15 miles). Some days I did about 30 kilometers. Days like those would have me walking from sunrise to anywhere from 1:00-3:00 pm.
Instead why not fly to Madrid. Take a bus or train to Leon (it's a beautiful city) and start from there. You should be able to get to Santiago with no problem in two weeks and still have time to "smell the roses".
Maybe sometime in the future when you can get 30-40 days for a vacation, walk it from SJPdP to SDC.
cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What is it that is appealing to you in the idea of walking the Camino? I think that if and when you are able to answer that you will be able to decide if trying to do Pamplona to Santiago in 2 weeks is what you really want to do. I have come across 1 person who was doing 50km a day, and had done it before. 1 person. He does it for the athlectic challenge as he lives in northern Spain and culture and pilgrim experience is not part of the motivation. If you are in any way interested in more than the physical challenge, such a taking the time to reconnect with yourself after years in school, before starting a carreer, if you want to exchange with like minded people, or to absorb history and local culture, then perhaps you may want to revisit your plan.

If you have 2 weeks and want to see Pamplona and end in Santiago, and don't care much about pilgrim experience, then fly in, visit Pamplona for a day, bus or train to Leon and and take it from there. If you have extra time go for Fisterra or Muxia.

If you care about the life experience start in Pamplona and see where your feet take you in two weeks. Probably around Leon or Astorga. Santiago will still be there when you go again in a few years.

But truly, I urge to think about what it is about the Camino that you find appealing and take it from there. And I have to concurr about the youth and their injuries. Those with tendonitis and shin splits: young people pushing the envelop, thinking they could push day after day. Don't let that be you.

Hello all!

I have just graduated from college in the US and want to walk the Camino as a last hurrah since I've been dreaming of doing this for many years now. I was thinking of starting in Pamplona as I've always wanted to visit that city, but I only have about 2 weeks total to make it to Santiago. Is this doable or is this crazy? I am a very athletic and physically fit 22 year-old female (I was a basketball player) and I have a fair amount of hiking experience; however, I have no idea what is the typical walking distance for an average day on the Camino. I know the exact distance will vary from person to person and day to day, but if I could just hear from a number of you what you found your typical daily distance to be and with how many hours per day of walking, that could really help me out. On paper, I would like to think that I could do 20-25 miles a day easily, but I realize that I really don't know anything about the Camino and that walking that far per day every day is a lot more easily said than done.

ola and welcome!
the calling is important to heed, pay attention to, i dare say.
yet/and i would very strongly point to adjusting the 'plan', your time-table. you mention 14 days - and you are coming across the atlantic. there is jet-lag perhaps to figure into your plan.
and the day you would need to get back from SdC to your city of departure. so perhaps it's 12 days of walking?
either way, my take is that much of what can be done does not mean that is should be done.

the pilgrimage is not an assembly of ingredients (age+fitness level+days available) - as much as an assembly of water+chicken+herbs don't automatically guarantees (spelling?) a yummy and nourishing chickensoup.
the pilgrimage is more than adding kilometers and nights/days.
perhaps you'd like to review your intention and what your values are? is it because you want to say you've done it? to check it off some list? to you value much 'happenings' vs a slower pace? to slowly marinate/absorb a new experience or to fast immerse and move through it?
no one can answer this for you.
whatever you decide - the results of your actions will be lived/experienced by you. - thus - choose wisely.

and you have choices - fly to madrid - travel to pamplona - hop forward via train or bus to another big city? burgos? leon? and walk from there in a more comfy pace?
or you can walk the camino in stages - i've met severals pilgrims who come back each year to complete another, continued section (granted, many of them were europeans) - that way you have your 'salami tactic pilgrimage' - a slice at a time :)

why 'the last hurrah' ?
why not one hurrah in a series of glorious hurrah's of life?

very best wishes and "buen camino" in /for whatever you hopefully wisely decided. -

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for the responses! To answer the question about my reason for wanting to do the Camino, I want to do it for the spiritual reasons rather than the physical challenge - finding myself, becoming more in touch with who I am, leaving behind the hustle and bustle of my typically busy life, testing my independence, the adventure, etc. On that note, perusing this forum (in addition to your appreciated responses!!) has helped me realize that my original plan is quite silly....I'd much rather end in Santiago though, rather than start in Pamplona and end before reaching Santiago. That being said, what would be the best starting point for an approximately 2 week Camino? (14 days isn't a hard deadline, just an estimate).

Also jet lag won't be an issue because I plan on flying to Madrid from LA and staying with the host family I lived with while studying abroad for a few days to rest up before I actually set out on my Camino, so the 2 week time frame I was referring meant from the time I leave Madrid to start through the time I arrive in Santiago. I did like Anemone del Camino's idea to go to Pamplona for a couple days to see it for my bucketlist and then taking bus/train to Leon and actually starting the Camino there. Is that a more doable plan?

AlyB, you smart girl! Glad we were able to ask the questions that allowed you to come to an answer that really suits what you are looking for. Take a lot at the many sites that show you "the main" etapas, such as http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/ and http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-frances.

Also, buy one of the well know CF guide books and play with the alternatives. On the CF you will find an albergue every 5-10km, except in a couple of spots where you will have to walk 15-20 km. So you can work it backwards from Santiago.

Lots of buses out of Pamplona to get you to where ever it is you decide to walk from.

Say hello to Hemingway from us!

Thank you all for the responses! To answer the question about my reason for wanting to do the Camino, I want to do it for the spiritual reasons rather than the physical challenge - finding myself, becoming more in touch with who I am, leaving behind the hustle and bustle of my typically busy life, testing my independence, the adventure, etc. On that note, perusing this forum (in addition to your appreciated responses!!) has helped me realize that my original plan is quite silly....I'd much rather end in Santiago though, rather than start in Pamplona and end before reaching Santiago. That being said, what would be the best starting point for an approximately 2 week Camino? (14 days isn't a hard deadline, just an estimate).

Also jet lag won't be an issue because I plan on flying to Madrid from LA and staying with the host family I lived with while studying abroad for a few days to rest up before I actually set out on my Camino, so the 2 week time frame I was referring meant from the time I leave Madrid to start through the time I arrive in Santiago. I did like Anemone del Camino's idea to go to Pamplona for a couple days to see it for my bucketlist and then taking bus/train to Leon and actually starting the Camino there. Is that a more doable plan?
On my first Camino I walked from Leon to Santiago in 12 days and I was 52 years old. I think you should have no problems starting there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Beautiful, AlyB...that's a very good idea. Leon to Santiago is perfect for 2 weeks; you'll be able to cover the distance in that time without rushing. There will be time for reflection but it will still 'stretch' you (and the logistics will not be difficult to arrange).
Buen Camino!

Hello AlyB,

I started in Astorga 2014-09-22 with my 15 years old son.
We arrived in Santiago at 2014-10-04.
We were not very fit (he playing soccer twice a week and I'm walking 10 km a week + 2-3 daily), but we arrived without problems, no blisters, nothing... So 13 days for 260 km.
We really enjoy to have 2 days "buffer" and have pushed to Fisterra and Muxía (by bus ;)).

The longest day was Las Hererias to Triacastela, around 30 km.

I would recommend to take it easy, especially the first days, in order to acclimate to the camino spirit and to get into your camino family.

The camino will still be here next year and most probably in 10 and 20 years too, so you can taste it now and come back sometime in the future, even starting somewhere back in France... Le Puy or Vézelay are beautiful and we'll known starting places.

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

PS: another planning tool: http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

indeed, there is a good stage planner http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances
if you are fine to walk about 10h daily, your plan seems to be pretty realistic, even though i would suggest to make stops at some distinguished places, and extend the pleasure to 16 days. for instance:

Stage Partial (km) Cumulative (km) Lodging
1) Pamplona - Estella 45.7 45.7 3R, A, C, H
2) Estella - Logroño 49 94.7 2R, P, A, C, H
3) Logroño - Santo Domingo de la Calzada 49.7 144.4 2R, C, H
4) Santo Domingo de la Calzada - San Juan de Ortega 47.2 191.6 R, H
5) San Juan de Ortega - Burgos 25.7 217.3 3R, C, H
6) Burgos - Castrojeriz 40.3 257.6 2R, 2P, C, H
7) Castrojeriz - Carrión de los Condes 43.7 301.3 3R, C, H
8) Carrión de los Condes - Sahagún 38.8 340.1 R, P, C, H
9) Sahagún - León, take Roman road 55 395.1 2R, A, C, H
10) León - Astorga 48.3 443.4 2R, P, H
11) Astorga - Ponferrada 53 496.4 R, H
12) Ponferrada - Ambasmestas, take mountainous trail 37.6 534 P, H
13) Ambasmestas - Samos 44.2 578.2 R, 2P
14) Samos - Portomarín 37.3 615.5 R, 6P, H
15) Portomarín - Arzúa 53.7 669.2 R, 6P, H
16) Arzúa - Santiago de Compostela 38.6 707.8 2R, 8P, C, H

Abbreviations R: pilgrims public hostel. P: pilgrims private hostel. A: youth hostel.
C: campsite. H: hotel, hostel, guesthouse…

as a trail Camino Frances is an easy one, kind of T1 difficulty. just make sure you can walk 50km in a slow pace carrying some load and not surfer injuries.
buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
yeah I second (third? fourth?) the idea of starting from Leon… then if you have any days left over you can use them to walk all the way to the sea, it's very beautiful… xx

... I did like Anemone del Camino's idea to go to Pamplona for a couple days to see it for my bucketlist and then taking bus/train to Leon and actually starting the Camino there. Is that a more doable plan?

Yes, but depending on how your travel arrangements work out best, you could also do Madrid>Leon, walk to Santiago and then take a bus back to Pamplona, stay there a couple of days and then back to Madrid for the flight home. Whatever you decide: Buen Camino! SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all!

My son (14 yo) and I walked from Leon. We had 20 days (3/20-4/10) -- I thought about starting from Burgos, but I wanted to leave time for taking a break if needed or wanted (for example we stopped early in Samos to tour the monastery and stay the night there). We also spent two nights in Leon to get un-jetlagged, spend time at the cathedral and other incredible sights, and we had a three days in Compostela at the end of our trip. We walked between 15 and 24 miles per day. My son could have gone further, he often wanted to continue walking until dark. But I was glad to rest... well, not really rest. We had clothes to wash, and ourselves to wash, and dinner to make, and people to meet and talk with, and the villages to explore and views of the sunset to appreciate. -

We also took a day off in Astorga, stopping at noon after 6 hours of walking to rest and read. That was the only day I wrote a letter home.

You may want to start walking at Burgos. Or from Leon, if you get to Santiago with enough time walk to Finisterre.

Beun Camino!

Kate

@AlyB, when I saw your OP, I thought to myself that you would want to be an experienced multi-day ultra-marathon runner with a support crew to even start to contemplate your proposal. I am glad to see you are considering something more realistic.

AlyB wonders whether Pamplona-SdC in two weeks is doable or is this crazy for a very athletic and physically fit 22 year-old female ( a basketball player) and with a fair amount of hiking experience. leaving alone is it a correct way for pilgrimage, the trail conditions of CF allows this when walking for some 10h daily and being well prepared (rule #1 stay well hydrated at all time). no need to run ultra-marathon. will she feel miserable after the first couple of days? almost certainly, but then again it will be her call either to get over this and continue or give up. some people just need to reach their physical limits on the way to spiritual discoveries.

€149,-
AlyB wonders whether Pamplona-SdC in two weeks is doable or is this crazy for a very athletic and physically fit 22 year-old female ( a basketball player) and with a fair amount of hiking experience. leaving alone is it a correct way for pilgrimage, the trail conditions of CF allows this when walking for some 10h daily and being well prepared (rule #1 stay well hydrated at all time). no need to run ultra-marathon. will she feel miserable after the first couple of days? almost certainly, but then again it will be her call either to get over this and continue or give up. some people just need to reach their physical limits on the way to spiritual discoveries.
I wonder what your point is here.
  • The OP would have involved walking an average of 50 km each day for 14 days - that is 14 ultra-marathon distances on consecutive days. Whether one runs it or walks it, it would be a significant undertaking.
  • You are suggesting it could be done in 10 hours each day, or at an average of 5 kph if there were no stops, somewhat faster the longer taken on stops for coffee, food etc. That is a cracking pace! Do you really think it is sustainable for 14 days.
  • Even if the OP is a match fit basketball player, walking over 10 or more hours is an entirely different thing to the intensity needed for an hour or so of match play.
I think the range of circumstances where it would be sensible to suggest this is a good thing to do are so narrow that one would consider it foolhardy. For that reason, I think it sensible that @AlyB has chosen a less demanding, but still challenging, option.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I wonder what your point is here.
  • The OP would have involved walking an average of 50 km each day for 14 days - that is 14 ultra-marathon distances on consecutive days. Whether one runs it or walks it, it would be a significant undertaking.
  • You are suggesting it could be done in 10 hours each day, or at an average of 5 kph if there were no stops, somewhat faster the longer taken on stops for coffee, food etc. That is a cracking pace! Do you really think it is sustainable for 14 days.
  • Even if the OP is a match fit basketball player, walking over 10 or more hours is an entirely different thing to the intensity needed for that for an hour or so of match play.
I think the range of circumstances where it would be sensible to suggest this is a good thing to do are so narrow that one would consider it foolhardy. For that reason, I think it sensible that @AlyB has chosen a less demanding, but still challenging, option.

my point here obviously is to give a positive answer to the original question - yes, it is doable, even though it would be a significant undertaking. why one should discourage from trying? because it appears to be irresponsible or dangerous? come on, you know the trail and facilities, and most of the stages above I enjoyed myself last year. it is nothing more, than my opinion, based on personal experience, including common hikes with younger members of my family on different European trails. and i am not insisting that someone should agree with it.

I am thinking to start in Pamplona and walk to Santiago no more than 10 miles a day, hopefully more like 7 or 8. It will take as long as it takes, and I am hoping for a wonderful experience. I'm not a new college graduate, turning 70 this year

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As a Camino newbie who is currently 14 days into his journey, the only thing I would say to anyone contemplating the Camino is this.....

Don't rush. Take your time. The Camino is not about getting from A to B in a certain time.

The journey is the Camino, not the destination. ....

If the goal is to walk a vast distance in a certain time as some kind of challenge, there is no need to come to Spain for that. .....

I can relate to what you are thinking. I am planning on walking two weeks this year and another two next year. The advantage for me is to see how far I get this year to better plan for next year as well. I am starting at SJPP and hoping to go to Sahagun, which seems to be a midpoint. Next year, the two weeks would be Sahagun to Santiago.

An advantage is that a train ride between Sahagun and Madrid is an easy one as well. I did a 21 mile (34k) pilgrimage a week ago. Other than my tenderfeet, it went well. But each person had their own endurance and pace along with the fact that you are doing it every day.

Do some consecutive day walking, judge your distance and measure backwards from Santiago to a starting spot and see if this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Aly,

As I mentioned earlier, my wife and I walked from Leon to SdC in March. Here's our stages and the approximate distances:

Leon to Villar de Mazarife - 21 kms
Hospital de Orbigo - 15 kms
Murias de Rechivaldo - 21 kms
Foncebadon - 21 kms
Molinaseca - 20 kms
Cacabelos - 23 kms
Vega de Valcarce - 24 kms
Hospital da Condesa - 17 kms
Samos - 25 kms
Barbadelo - 19 kms
Portomarin - 18 kms
Palas de Rai - 25 kms
Melide - 15 kms
Arzua - 14kms
O Pedrouzo - 18 kms
Santiago - 20 kms

As you can see, we tried to keep the stages around 20 kms or so. We didn't want to walk for so long that we had no energy or time to explore the City/Town/Hamlet that we chose to stay in or passed through.
Keep in mind that at the end of your day of walking, you'll have to find a place to stay, do laundry, eat, and hopefully explore the town you're staying in. Plus you'll want time to converse with your new Camino family!
Wherever you choose to start, we wish you a Buen Camino!

Ron and Michele

As a long-time backpacker I've had the chance to see lots of folks burn out and terminate their long-planned hikes by either going out too fast or putting in heavy miles too early. Over use injuries of the joints and tendons, blisters, and sore shoulders/compressed nerves are just some of things you are likely to run into by doing those kinds of miles from the start. I have done 20 plus mile days and gotten close to 30 but that is usually after being on the trail (not on the Camino) for a couple of weeks and having my "trail legs." As others have mentioned, we all hike the Camino for different reasons, each of them has their own value and meaning, but a forced march on the Camino will greatly limit your interactions with others and your ability to leisurely stop and sip the café con leche. Still, as they say on the Appalachian Trail, hike your own hike, buen Camino.

As a Camino newbie who is currently 14 days into his journey, the only thing I would say to anyone contemplating the Camino is this.....

Don't rush. Take your time. The Camino is not about getting from A to B in a certain time.

If the goal is to walk a vast distance in a certain time as some kind of challenge, there is no need to come to Spain for that. .....

exactly! it is not about rush, it is about pilgrimage not the distance. therefore it does not matter whether in two weeks one covers 300 or 700km, even though it should have a destination. otherwise indeed, there is no need to come to Spain. i may be wrong, but in my understanding pilgrimage on camino means walking. quitting walking already at noon, after some 20-25km felt somehow inappropriate for me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Having only walked to Santiago twice, I'm a relative Camino newbie, but not a pilgrimage newbie, and with all respect, my understanding is different.
Walking is the vehicle of pilgrimage, but not at all what pilgrimage 'means.' That is an entirely internal affair, a journey of the heart. So it doesn't matter at all how far one walks each day...what's going on inside is what counts.

Yeah, I find it kinda odd that anyone would use the Camino Santiago as an endurance sports platform of sorts. There are so many other venues that are actually designed to be that not to mention one could take up triathlons and the like.
I just couldn't imagine hauling-ass past a bunch of people who are on for the most part, a meditative or spiritual walk and have no concern for speed or time. In a sense competing with a bunch of people who could care less how fast you are going and who are not competing with you anyway.

Yeah, I find it kinda odd that anyone would use the Camino Santiago as an endurance sports platform of sorts. There are so many other venues that are actually designed to be that not to mention one could take up triathlons and the like.
I just couldn't imagine hauling-ass past a bunch of people who are on for the most part, a meditative or spiritual walk and have no concern for speed or time. In a sense competing with a bunch of people who could care less how fast you are going and who are not competing with you anyway.
Wow, Mark I just watched Wild for the first time. Now that is an endurance trek and more and my daughter-in-law told me a 50kg backpack is standard issue because these folks carry tents, food and cooking equipment. That is downright insane when you can come to Spain and enjoy hot meal and free wine every 20k or so:D. Just saying!

€149,-
Wow, Mark I just watched Wild for the first time. Now that is an endurance trek and more and my daughter-in-law told me a 50kg backpack is standard issue because these folks carry tents, food and cooking equipment. That is downright insane when you can come to Spain and enjoy hot meal and free wine every 20k or so:D. Just saying!
No doubt, Don.
Yeah, when you gotta carry la casa and la cocina on your back, that changes everything.
Me? I prefer hot chow and vino/cerveza every 20k ;). Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt on humping a heavy ruck when I was younger, ha ha. I'm much more civilized now. :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... my daughter-in-law told me a 50kg backpack is standard issue because these folks carry tents, food and cooking equipment. ...

Your DIL is wrong, it was actually the thru-hiker crowd on those trails that 'invented' ultra-light because they need to carry all their gear. Have a look at this blog http://christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com for some info about what these guys and gals really do carry, and what not. SY

Why rush the experience? Start somewhere and walk as far as time permits. Come back next year and continue down the trail.

My plan is to walk St. Jean to Burgos this year. Next year from Burgos to Ponferada, then in the third year into Santiago.

-Paul

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I f
Hello all!

I don't think it is doable in 14 days.
It is starting to get warm in Spain and that will take its toll. I am in Galicia at the moment.
Why don't you consider starting from Leon?

... Why don't you consider starting from Leon?

She already has decided to do so, and stated that in this thread. Really, sorry, please people, give the OP at least the courtesy to skim over the whole thread before responding!!! SY

Hi AlyB, your initial plan wasn't silly, it just needed refining. Aim low and if you miss, you may well end up with nothing. Aim high and a miss will still be something.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

It is really amazing how odd the perception of a different pilgrimage may be! It is perfectly fine to walk slowly, quit early to get a better bed or enjoy a conversation while sipping some fine wine. But I would assume it is equally fine to walk long hours, despite of being tired or hungry. For someone the concept of pilgrimage might be less meditative or spiritual, it is rather a fight with own weakness. And it has nothing to do neither with endurance sports, nor competing fellow pilgrims. But you are right, since appearance of modern bicycles, there are some elements of triathlon on Camino de Santiago. I hate to say, that renting one of these would be yet another option for OP to cover whole way down to SdC.

It is really amazing how odd the perception of a different pilgrimage may be! It is perfectly fine to walk slowly, quit early to get a better bed or enjoy a conversation while sipping some fine wine. But I would assume it is equally fine to walk long hours, despite of being tired or hungry. For someone the concept of pilgrimage might be less meditative or spiritual, it is rather a fight with own weakness. And it has nothing to do neither with endurance sports, nor competing fellow pilgrims. But you are right, since appearance of modern bicycles, there are some elements of triathlon on Camino de Santiago. I hate to say, that renting one of these would be yet another option for OP to cover whole way down to SdC.
Bicycles are cool. I like them. I've done some trail riding on mountain bikes here in the US. It's neat way to get around the woods, quietly and minimal environmental impact. Personally though, I don't think I would enjoy bicycling the Camino. Walking it was so cool.

I've just returned from my first Camino on Saturday. We went from Rabanal del Camino to Santiago in 13 days, walking approx 15-20 kms a day. We also camped for 11 nights. We had an amazing time, taking in the scenery, enjoying the Cafe con Leche and beautiful Vino.. You will have a wonderful time and meet some wonderful people along your way. Buen Camino...

I would start from Pamplona and search for my own pace, no matter if it's fast or slow. And no matter the distance walked.

Everybody tells you what the Camino is or means (I will do it aswell, you'll see) but nobody apart from you will walk in your shoes. Shall you enjoy walking slower than you can? Shall you enjoy taking your body to the limit?

You should notice that majority of advices in this thread come from people much older than you. We're twice your age, even three times. The way we face life is different, has to be it, to the way you can do it. You, as a young, have to take risks, have to search for your limits and even have to make mistakes.

The Camino is not about meeting people, neither about making a specific distance nor arriving to Santiago; doing the Camino has nothing to do with being clever or logical.

Just walk and enjoy the best you can. No matter how.

The Camino is not about meeting people, neither about making a specific distance nor arriving to Santiago; doing the Camino has nothing to do with being clever or logical
You might say that, but for others, it is about those things.

You might say you will meet people anyway. That might be so on the CF, but not on other routes. So if meeting other pilgrims is important, it will influence where you go, and how much of each day you walk compared to taking time to be with other pilgrims in towns and villages.

Arriving in Santiago and receiving a compostella is also fairly important to many people, otherwise there wouldn't be the large numbers doing the shorter distances, such as from Sarria.

As for being clever - maybe its not, but in the context of this thread, at least planning to cover sensible distances to achieve ones goal is clearly a good start. Planning to do something otherwise is planning to fail.

I am glad that @AlyB has decided to start in Leon. She will still meet people, achieve realistic distances, should be able to reach Santiago, etc, etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
She already has decided to do so, and stated that in this thread. Really, sorry, please people, give the OP at least the courtesy to skim over the whole thread before responding!!! SY
Sorry. I am using my iPhone. I don't find it user friendly.

You might say that, but for others, it is about those things.

You might say you will meet people anyway. That might be so on the CF, but not on other routes. So if meeting other pilgrims is important, it will influence where you go, and how much of each day you walk compared to taking time to be with other pilgrims in towns and villages.

Right.

The Camino has a different meaning for everyone. In other words, there is not a sole meaning everybody has to make it his/hers. That was my point.

I'm just telling AlyB that she doesn't have to tackle it as others do, there is not a liturgical guideline telling you what to feel, what to expect or what to do.

Arriving in Santiago and receiving a compostella is also fairly important to many people, otherwise there wouldn't be the large numbers doing the shorter distances, such as from Sarria.

You are right and I didn't mean to deny it. When you start the Camino you want to arrive in Santiago as it is the physic ending, but that doesn´t turn it into the reason to do the Camino. Or yes, it does.

As for being clever - maybe its not, but in the context of this thread, at least planning to cover sensible distances to achieve ones goal is clearly a good start. Planning to do something otherwise is planning to fail.

I am glad that @AlyB has decided to start in Leon. She will still meet people, achieve realistic distances, should be able to reach Santiago, etc, etc.

I just hope her decision is based on what she feels she wants to do, otherwise the planning is failed even before start it.

Most of the electrolite sachets and foot care cream I had for my 2012 Camino I gave to young fit pilgrims who burned out and got sick trying to walk 40 to 50 km a day. Us plodders managed just fine doing 20 to 30 a day stopping to enjoy frequent cafe con leches and the odd San Michelle.

When you are young you are impulsive, your hormones are on the warpath. Is it that bad?

Let the youngsters be young. Let's give them the chance to grow and learn through suffering and enjoyment.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Camino has a different meaning for everyone.
At some level it has a few common meanings, such as undertaking our pilgrimage as a spiritual journey or for pious purposes, or even just to prove to ourselves that we are physically capable. After that, I think we bring our own meaning. Just as suggesting everyone should have the same meaning, saying what meaning they shouldn't bring to the camino, as you did, seems rather silly.

When you start the Camino you want to arrive in Santiago as it is the physic ending, but that doesn´t turn it into the reason to do the Camino. Or yes, it does.
It certainly might be a physical ending, and for many the end of their religious and spiritual pilgrimage. I do hope you weren't intending to suggest that there is some psychic meaning to the Camino.

When you are young you are impulsive, your hormones are on the warpath. Is it that bad?

Let the youngsters be young. Let's give them the chance to grow and learn through suffering and enjoyment.
'my two pennies':
yes, hormone on a warpath often leave a path of lots of bruises, broken hearts/bones/spirits and many other ailments -- regardless the age. - and often it's not just the person generating that hormone war-path who is adversely affected.
i for one was grateful for each voice of caution/wisdom during those young days. even if not always heeded. but those voices surely alerted me /pointed to another way than bulldozing through life just because i could or because i felt like it.
and it's often other caring human who attend to people with ailments/bruises/blisters resulting from actions courtesy to "hormonal warpath actions".
saluti - buen camino - may your path be blessed.

I would start in St Jean and walk as you want, stop when you want, stay where you want, walk with who you want. Stop and smell the roses. The goal is not Santiago imho... it's experiencing the million wonderful things along The Way. Buen Camino.

You need no more then 2 days to "see" and "experience" Pamplona, then take the bus to Burgos and start from there when you really want to have a spiritual experience on the Cammino AND finish in Santiago.

Hello all!

We just got back. We went from Leon,
basically following the stages in the book. The walking is not all the same.
Some of the up and down hill is slower
especially the downhill. It just is more treacherous in spots. You need to pace
yourself, but Leon is a good spot if you want to finish in 2 weeks. You will never forget it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
'my two pennies':
yes, hormone on a warpath often leave a path of lots of bruises, broken hearts/bones/spirits and many other ailments -- regardless the age. - and often it's not just the person generating that hormone war-path who is adversely affected.
i for one was grateful for each voice of caution/wisdom during those young days. even if not always heeded. but those voices surely alerted me /pointed to another way than bulldozing through life just because i could or because i felt like it.
and it's often other caring human who attend to people with ailments/bruises/blisters resulting from actions courtesy to "hormonal warpath actions".
saluti - buen camino - may your path be blessed.

Of course, each and every advice must (or should) be valued, but I feel very proud of the lessons I learnt from my own mistakes. They allowed me to know where my limits are.

If she feels she could do 25 miles a day I think she should try. And if she is finally wrong, hey, the worst thing she'll get will be some blisters, maybe a contracture or a sprain and her pride slightly wounded.

Hello all!

I walked 54 km one day and to this day i know it ended my camino after walking for a week!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back