• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First-timer female - go it alone or with a tour group?

BPatrick

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk in 2017
I'm planning to hike for one week as that's all I can take off from my job - never been to Spain - female, age 60, doesn't speak the language. Is it wise to sign on with a tour group so I know where I will be staying each night, as well as not going solo? If so, can any companies be recommended on this site? And, how does the Camino Frances route compare to starting in Portugal for a first-timer? Thanks for any insight! - Barbara

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Solo is certainly possible.
To Solo add the word Sensible.
The Camino Francés is totally doable. I don't think you need to join a tour. Which section will you walk?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@BPatrick , I see from your other posts that you are planning to walk from Sarria. In which case you should not have any problems with navigation, accommodation or even language. A little research and planning should give you comfort as to where you might stay each night. I would never, under any circumstances recommend a tour group even if I had experience of the entity for the simple reason that I have no concept of your desires and expectations and the business model of most tour groups means that last years excellent hosts are in Thailand or Greenland this year.

The Camino Frances is the most commonly walked 'long-distance' hike on this planet and the vast majority of walkers do it solo or with a chum or two - not with a corporate entity.

Spend some time on the forum, do some research, walk the Camino.

Oh, and learn the proper usage of 'por favor', 'gracias', 'Buenas Dias' & 'menu del dia'. You will survive.

Buen Camino (another useful phrase to try and truly understand)

Sarria to Santiago I don't think you would have a problem and as Tincatinker says, read this forum for information and learn a few basic phrases and words, you'll be fine.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get a good guidebook, study it, and make a plan. Believe me, it's very doable by yourself. No need for a tour group.
You can even watch a few youtube videos of people walking the Camino. Some are actually pretty good and show a pretty good view of the average pilgrim.
cheers and ultreia

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Solo, do question about it.

1 week will take you an evening, with a lovely cup of tea, to plan.

Order the John Brierly guide, or visit tne Gronze or Eroski sites (Ersoski is in Spanish though).

If you feel better about it, prebook your bed, or keep a few in mind and which you prefer and is still available when you bet there. Bit even that is not necessary.

It is so easy to meet other pilgrims on the Camino. You are not likely to have any problems going alone.

Alone. No matter when you walk even in dead of winter there will be many pilgrims on the way. Forego tour group it is truly not needed. I was and will again be a solo female. Often, that won't last long. So many others to meet and greet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Barbara, I walked the Camino from SJPdP to Santiago this year and loved it! Out of fear, I invited my daughter to walk with me as far as Burgos. The morning I walked her to the taxi stand so that she could take a train to Madrid to return to her job in the states, I felt a great relief and release from that fear. You will find a number of other women of your age on the Camino, I am one. Walking the Camino is a very personal experience that you would not have in a tour group.
Ultreia!

"The first stage of the mythological journey––which we have designated the "call to adventure"––signifies that destiny has summoned the hero and transferred his spiritual center of gravity from within the pale of society to a zone unknown. This fateful region of both treasure and danger may be variously represented: as a distant land, a forest, a kingdom underground, beneath the waves or above the sky, a secret island, a lofty mountaintop, or profound dream state; but it is always a place of strangely fluid and polymorphous beings, unimaginable torments, superhuman deeds, and impossible delights."

Joseph Campbell,.................. Ultreya........... Willy/Utah/USA

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You can do it by yourself Barbara, we were all very apprehensive before starting our first Camino. If you are feeling lost or lonely there are lots of wonderful pilgrims out there who will help you. You will be so proud of yourself once you walk into Santiago.

I recommend the John Brierley guide and one of his more recent guides is Sarria (via Santiago) to Finisterre and Muxia. The maps are really great, he splits the walk into daily doable sections and gives very helpful advice for each section of the route. Listed are the cafés, albergues and even some small pensions.

Hi Barbara - agree with all of the above. Your question is a sensible one .. you are going to something that you cannot quite control .. throwing yourself out there, and those questions, which come down to the need for certainty (which has at its core fear of course) are common to all novice pilgrims but here is the thing - the experience, the actual experience, is wrapped up completely with letting go of those fears and just stepping out there - it is the way to do it, so, yes, go "alone" - but you won't be "alone", you will be on Camino with many many others who are also "alone" ... and you will meet them, share with them, accept their help, give your help .... and you will come - as strange as it may seem right now - to positively Enjoy that lack of certainty .... and you will no longer have the need to control what happens next - and then, why, you will be a pilgrim!!!

Oh, and guided tours are terribly expensive you know!!

As for the where - well, the Camino Frances is the 'main' route and that is where you will meet the most people and have the most support - I would go for the Frances (oopss, sorry, Camino de Santiago as it is now named)

Buen Camino Barbara - just step out there all "gulp" and let it happen - you will be safe, you will meet people just like you - All will be Well xxx

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
By all means, do it solo. You won't be solo for long. Gift yourself with the experience of the Camino as 'you' planned it, and not by someone who doesn't know you. Honestly, the planning is part of the joy. I walked the full route StJPdP to Santiago for my 80th birthday last year. Trust these lovely fellow forum members, you can do this. And afterwards you can say "What was I thinking, that I needed someone to do this for me?". Wish you Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@BPatrick, hi

You will have noticed many women posting above of their experiences of going solo.

Like you I had not been to Spain and did not speak the language before I did a solo trip six years ago. I started at Sarria in late June. No trouble finding a bed in backpackers hostel. Within 10 minutes of getting my bed for the night I (an extreme introvert) was talking with a young American man whose sister knew my country. This type of encounter happened regularly during each of the five days walking.

Because of the "do-it-yourself" approach that prevails where I live a walking tour company never entered my head. I have since looked at tour companies and feel I would be cheated if I used them. Cheated in the sense of not being able to decide to do a shorter or longer distance that suited my needs each day, to tarry where something took my great interest or even to do a side trip for something that I had just become aware of.

Even if you use a tour company, you will (most likely) walk alone. Your pace and interests will determine that.

For some the destination is the thing. For others (some of whom have posted above) the journey itself is the thing.

Ki kaha (take care, be brave, move forward)

Last edited:
@BPatrick, hi again

You original post above is focused. I propose to expand out a little and talk about preparation.

For five or so days you will not need to carry a lot. In addition to what you will wear when walking you may only need two tops (one long sleeve), two pair of sox and two changes of underwear: all preferably quick drying. Charger for phone and camera. Minimal range of toiletries. A water bottle you can easily access when walking. And a sleeping bag liner. If you really need anything else once you have started you will find shops to provide

My other observation is preparing yourself. If you start at Sarria there is a hill on each of the first two mornings. They are not humungous but it wouldn't hurt to include working hill climbs into your fitness preparation: say eventually achieving 200 metres (660 feet) of elevation before breakfast!!!

Ki kaha (take care, be brave, move forward)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lots of good advice given.

I would suggest you book your first night, that first day travelling from home to start of Camino can be a bit scary, nice to be sure of where you are staying.

Secondly, try to get yourself fit, and as mentioned a bit of practice on hills.

Thirdly learn a bit of Spanish, it will add to your enjoyment no end to be able to communicate with local people. With modern 'apps' on phones it can even be done whilst you are out getting fit.

Buen Camino, this is the beginning of the rest of your life

Some years ago I was halfway through qualifying as a group leader for a trekking company when it occurred to me that I would have to spend time, possibly quite a long time, with people that I didn't actually like very much. Consider this before booking with a group.

Since then I've always walked with long standing good friends or, mostly, on my own and enjoy the company of people I meet along the way and we can mutually decide to spend some time together. Or not.

Ultreïa.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thirdly learn a bit of Spanish, it will add to your enjoyment no end to be able to communicate with local people. With modern 'apps' on phones it can even be done whilst you are out getting fit.

Buen Camino, this is the beginning of the rest of your life

The Duolingo app and website was my friend for the 6 months prior to my actual Camino on the VDLP where I knew I would definitely need some Spanish.
The Coffee Break Spanish podcast is great as they teach Spanish as spoken in Spain so you can get a bit of an ear for it. But don't worry too much if you can only hear 1-2 words in a sentence (if you are lucky!). Sometimes it is more useful to be able to recognise written words. Gallego makes everything a bit harder because that accent is very thick. For example "todo derecho" (straight ahead) sounds a lot like "derecto" (right) when spoken with a very thick accent quickly! However because it is the CF I would not expect you to have to ask directions at all and Google Translate should get you through any tricky spots should you need it.

I'm a single female planning on walking it myself in October 2019 (finishing on my birthday). I have traveled the world by myself and I find by doing your research ahead of time you can save yourself a bunch of headaches.
As for the Camino it sounds like you and I are looking st about the same plan. I can't take much time away so I will be starting in Sarria as well. I chose that starting point and route because I read it is well marked and well traveled so I'm likely to meet others along the way. I can't imagine going with a group.
In a group you have people of varying fitness levels and attitudes. You will have people at each end of the spectrum and you are stuck with them. I have done group travel and it's just not my thing. So that person that you thought was funny on day 1 in the morning you may feel like gagging them by the end of day 2 because they will not shut up and it turns out they are not that funny or you will quickly find that you have a whiney person or a complainer in the group. As a solo person you can simply go ahead or stay behind and politely NOT be near them. In a group you are stuck with them.
I also chose to walk alone as a single female because I have a re-built leg that o shattered in a fall a few years ago. I walk with a limp and I don't want to hold people up. I like the options that I can walk with who I want, when I want, stop when I want, go when I want, eat where I want because it's MY Camino and just as everyone's reasons for wanting to walk are different our experiences, wants, needs and desires for our journey are also different. I just don't see how this can be done as a tour group.

[Qtravelled s"BPatrick, post: 466146, member: 61425"]I'm planning to hike for one week as that's all I can take off from my job - never been to Spain - female, age 60, doesn't speak the language. Is it wise to sign on with a tour group so I know where I will be staying each night, as well as not going solo? If so, can any companies be recommended on this site? And, how does the Camino Frances route compare to starting in Portugal for a first-timer? Thanks for any insight! - Barbara[/QUOTE]
I travelled solo from india. I did not read any guide book. I just reached st jean & started walking. There is no problem at all. Met a lot of wonderful people along the way.
buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I travelled solo from india. I did not read any guide book. I just reached st jean & started walking. There is no problem at all. Met a lot of wonderful people along the way.
buen camino

Hi @BPatrick, I am almost the same age as you too.... I walked the Frances from SJPDP in mid July (this year) and, initially, was willing to pay 3000£ to go with a tour company...I am also a shy person and do not speak Spanish or French too. After a lot of reading (on this forum) and research, I decided to go it alone. I met a lot of people, and some have become good friends. I am soooooo gland I did it alone...... as I 'found' myself and my priorities. I also thoroughly enjoyed myself on the Camino....., yes, so much so, I did the Portuguese Camino from Porto (on 24/11/16) on my own too...... I have to admit I love the solitude (I met very very few pilgrims) and the walk was relatively easy compared to the Frances. I was a little apprehensive staying in the albergues all on my own (in these huge buildings) and had to sleep with the lights on.... but I really enjoyed myself.

I really enjoy my own company, walking in my own pace, wrapped in my own thoughts and stopping when/how I like. I think, depending on the time of year you walk, you will meet people. It is then, entirely up to you, if you wish to walk with them or not....

But, whatever you do,

Buen Camino!

I'm planning to hike for one week as that's all I can take off from my job - never been to Spain - female, age 60, doesn't speak the language. Is it wise to sign on with a tour group so I know where I will be staying each night, as well as not going solo? If so, can any companies be recommended on this site? And, how does the Camino Frances route compare to starting in Portugal for a first-timer? Thanks for any insight! - Barbara
Go alone, train well, carry your pack, be a pilgrim even if only for a week. You will meet many people and never be alone, unless you chose to. You will be glad you did.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hiked the Portuguesa alone in September, as did a LOT of other women - met a wonderful older women from Australia who'd hired a company - might be Camino Ways - to plan her itinerary for her and book hotels for her. That's an option between doing it completely on your own and having a tour guide and a group (which I've done elsewhere and have loved the people I hiked with!). But you might miss the experience of staying in hostels, which to me and I suspect most, is a big part of the Camino experience - or not. Maybe they can book hostels also. This woman was doing hotels, tho. Her baggage got transferred, and all she needed to do was carry a day pack to where the company told her she needed to end up. Obviously, that choice also cuts out any spontaneity. But she wasn't comfortable doing it alone with no plan, so it worked for her. My recommendation would be to do it w/o a touring company, and stay in hostels. It will all work out.

My daughter did a three week "safari" across the US with 7 other females this September. They had never met before the trip. By the time they got to New York they were hardly speaking to each other or the tour guide.
You'll be walking so not as bad as being cooped up in a vehicle plus, if you want to stop and smell the roses there's nothing to stop you!
Quite honestly there will be times when you'd give anything for a moment's peace and quiet but you'll miss out on a lot of cameraderie if you don't muck in at a refugio or two.
Step out and fear not - you'll soon have new friends to share your adventure with!

I'd go alone. You'll find companions as you go. :) That way you can stop for an afternoon or a day and be surprised what happens day to day while you walk. Get the brierly guide, follow the arrows. Buen Camino. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I'm going SOLO in 2017
Really looking forward to it All

Only you know what you can handle, just go with the flow only alone the first day the rest is up to you :) Buen Camino

Zzotte

Hi. I was thinking the same thing a few months back. I am 59 years old grandmother and this was my first such walking adventure. I wasn't sure how to do it but I had a definate need to walk and I knew I had to walk alone. I decided to go on the Via De la Plata from Ourense to Santiago a 7 days walk and because it was my first Camino I thought it best to go with a company that arranged the accommodations each night, just incase the unknown would be too much for me to handle. It was the best experience ever. I went in September 2016 and many days I was the only one on the road. I so enjoyed every step of my journey and knowing my accommodation destination was waiting for me made it such a pleasure. I want to do it again but this time for 30 days. But this time I will arrange the trip independently. There is nothing to worry about except not doing it!!!

Is there such thing really as 'traveling solo' on the Camino Frances? Even if you walk 'alone' you will almost certainly to a degree 'be part of a group'- particularly from Sarria as quite high numbers of people start from there generally. Are you looking for solitude? Others may be better placed to advise you as I walked the Frances more than 15 years ago (alone and it was wonderful). I dont know the camino in Portugal yet:). Also walked the camino de San salvador and the Norte. I always met women and men from all different ages- so certainly believe it is do-able and enjoyable. Whatever you decide buen camino!

BPatrick, don't be afraid to take a tour group. I've done 3 solo caminos (well, one was with my teen-age nephew) and one with a tour group, so I could take my wife and four other friends who needed this kind of feeding and caring. I enjoy going solo the best, but DON'T be so quick to discount taking a good tour group. You can easily do the camino on your own, of this I have no doubt; but a tour group would allow you to get a taste of the camino with a little more certainty of what was going to happen.

We used http://marlycamino.com/ and took their Buen Camino tour http://marlycamino.com/camino/buen-camino/

There are others, but I can recommend this group.

Last edited:

I was a first timer in Spain and on the Camino Frances starting August 31 until September 23, 2016. I am a 60 yr. old female, started out from Virginia with the Lord, me, myself and I. This was my first time traveling alone internationally...there was no business traveling hubby to lead the way. Flights took me from Richmond, VA to Washington, DC., to Paris (CDG), to Biarritz, took a bus to Bayonne and the train to St. John Pied de Port. Before I left out of Charles de Gaulle airport, I had met other Pilgrims heading in the same direction with the same goals. There was a mutual camaraderie immediately. Let it flow and enjoy!

My Camino unfortunately stopped, as far as walking due to what ended up being a stress fracture in my left leg. Thank the Lord it wasn't a meniscus injury as many thought. Word of advise...be open for change and go with it. I eventually took a taxi to Leon, a train to Santiago, and a bus to Muxia before going home. Anyway, I never felt in danger at any point over those 215+ miles. If you are open for the life of the Camino, you will meet some absolutely life changing people who will encourage, listen, console, never judge, give incredible advice, laugh, challenge...the list goes on and on. You will continue to live your Camino every day when you get back home.

If going with a group makes you feel more comfortable, then go that route. If you want to challenge yourself to see what you can do on your own, then go that route. This is your Camino and to be experienced the way you want to experience it. You can't help but meet people, become close and feel you have new family members.

I always had a place to sleep even if I almost ended up on a gym floor one night because nothing in that particular town or other towns close by were available. You can make it work and it does.

Have a blast! Buen Camino! God's Blessings!

Ruth :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

It is up to you. You have a week. When you travel with others, you can collaborate to make things happen. The down side is that it may not be what you want.

On your own, you do what you choose. It may not work out, bit it is your life on your terms.

Been Camino

By all means, do it solo. You won't be solo for long. Gift yourself with the experience of the Camino as 'you' planned it, and not by someone who doesn't know you. Honestly, the planning is part of the joy. I walked the full route StJPdP to Santiago for my 80th birthday last year. Trust these lovely fellow forum members, you can do this. And afterwards you can say "What was I thinking, that I needed someone to do this for me?". Wish you Buen Camino.
You should be called "marvelous movinmaggie"

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back