• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer - foolish or not to try the St jean pied de Porte route ?

Artykat

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2019
Hi there, my name is Kate, I hope to travel from Dublin to Biarritz (already booked the flight) from 28th August until 5th Sept 2019. I have been reading the postings here for the past couple of weeks to gain as much info as possible . Many people here advise first timers to go the Sarria to SdC route and I considered doing just that but each time, it felt wrong so Im going with my gut feeling and beginning at the start - St Jean pied de Porte . As I only have one week in Sept. and hope to pick up where I left off on my next Camino until I arrive at SdC. Somehow it just doesnt feel right (to me) to begin the pilgrimmage at the last stop - hence my decision. However, I am open to suggestions/advice and would very much appreciate any comments or advice here. My main concerns are: I have heard on this site that the route from St Jean PdP is very tough and can be treacherous and one person advised against it for a first timer. I am 52 years old, very healthy and fit (go to gym 3 to 4 times a week and love walking) But I have little mountain trekking experience , though Im looking to join a hiking group at the moment to prepare. Second concern is a Bunion - dormant at the moment but can flare up from time to time. If it flared up during the Pyrenees Im not sure how I would cope. Any suggestions on footwear would be welcome. I have also heard that this route can be very quiet... that doesnt put me off as I dont mind solitude too much. Love the idea of meeting different pilgrims along the way though. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Kate,
Last year I walked from St Jean Pied de Port as far as Pamplona, ( a week's walking should get you further than that), and this year will continue on from Pamplona to Burgos. Yes the path climbs, but it is a paved road for a lot of it, so it is not treacherous underfoot. It is a long walk to Roncesvalles for a first day, so many people break it by making a short first day and stopping at Orrisson. The final descent into Roncesvalles goes through the forest and the path was muddy and slippy in places. There is an alternative to walk on the road instead of through the forest which removes the potential slippy path.
I would not describe it as a quiet route - I started solo and quickly fell into step with 2 other people. There were usually many others in view all the time.

I think you may have been reading exaggerated reports of the crossing from SJPDP to Roncesvalles. It is a straightforward walking path - long and sometimes steep but definitely not a technical mountaineering challenge. Many people far older than you and probably in far less fit physical shape walk it every year without serious difficulty. I cannot comment on your bunion issue. That is one for you and your doctor or podiatrist to talk about. As for the route being very quiet??? On a busy day in late August or September it is quite possible for over 400 people to set out from SJPDP. Most choose the higher level path - the Route Napoleon - and form a near-continuous conga line :) If you plan to set off from SJPDP in summer then finding yourself short of company would be the last thing I would worry about.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't think you should have any real issue. Due to time constraints while I was still working, I did the Camino in three pieces in subsequent years.
I train year round, but found it never really comes close to duplicating the rigors of being on the trail. The important thing is not to over extend yourself the first few days. Since you are only walking a week, just take it easier on the first few days. If anything starts to feel off, stop right away and deal with it. Never put off dealing with a discomfort to the end of the day as it may have magnified itself into a bigger issue by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
SJPDP to Roncesvalles is not treacherous! I did it without any prior backpacking or long distance walking at the age of 58.
I think that people are suggesting starting in Sarria if you want to receive a Compostela this time. But if you plan to return to pick up where you left off, then start in SJPDP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there, my name is Kate, I hope to travel from Dublin to Biarritz (already booked the flight) from 28th August until 5th Sept 2019. I have been reading the postings here for the past couple of weeks to gain as much info as possible . Many people here advise first timers to go the Sarria to SdC route and I considered doing just that but each time, it felt wrong so Im going with my gut feeling and beginning at the start - St Jean pied de Porte . As I only have one week in Sept. and hope to pick up where I left off on my next Camino until I arrive at SdC. Somehow it just doesnt feel right (to me) to begin the pilgrimmage at the last stop - hence my decision. However, I am open to suggestions/advice and would very much appreciate any comments or advice here. My main concerns are: I have heard on this site that the route from St Jean PdP is very tough and can be treacherous and one person advised against it for a first timer. I am 52 years old, very healthy and fit (go to gym 3 to 4 times a week and love walking) But I have little mountain trekking experience , though Im looking to join a hiking group at the moment to prepare. Second concern is a Bunion - dormant at the moment but can flare up from time to time. If it flared up during the Pyrenees Im not sure how I would cope. Any suggestions on footwear would be welcome. I have also heard that this route can be very quiet... that doesnt put me off as I dont mind solitude too much. Love the idea of meeting different pilgrims along the way though. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Kate,
I am 68, not too fit, and i managed the SJPDP route. Yes, it is tough, but you are walking on roads, good paths, etc, and yes, some rocky and difficult downhills, but from your description you will do just fine. My strategy was to depart early, go slowly, take rests, drink Aquarius water or Gator Ade, and enjoy the splendid scenery. Most important, use walking sticks, they do a little of the work for you. Dont let advice make you fearful. If you are in the shape you say, you will do just fine.
Buen camino!
(My blog at jacscamino.wordpress.com may help give you an idea of the trek).

That walk from Saint Jean to Roncesvalles on either route (Napoleon or Valcarlos) is not in the least bit treacherous. You will be walking on mostly paved roads on the Napoleon, up a gradual, but steep hill. Hydrate, bring energy food and walk relaxed. You will have no problems.
As far as footwear goes, find a good combination with the right socks for you, wear them a bit to break them in and then go on a few 10km walks in them. That will let you know if they will work.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do wonder if those who have advised that you shouldn't start off your first Camino on this route might also be those who like to tell you how dreadful their pregnancy and births were as soon as they discovered you were pregnant 😆. There will always be someone who tries to put you off.

The one thing I would say is that it can be hard going until you reach Roncesvalles but, as has been said on here, definitely worth it. I rode from SJPdP in 2013 with my husband and we found it very hard. Indeed, three times I told him we should turn back (I'm a bit of a wimp, me), and he kept encouraging me, then when he said we'd never make it to the top, I encouraged him to carry on. We did reach to top and I'm so very glad we didn't give up on that very first leg.

[Edit: I wrote the below for this thread but in such a way that it could be reused elsewhere; in particular for people with questions about the two ways down to Roncevalles from the Col de Lepoeder. I should have mentioned up here that the videos were so one could judge whether the Route Napoleon was too steep for them.]

Here are three YouTube videos of the Route Napoleon version of the camino. Note that you can click on the video's settings icon (the cogwheel) to adjust the playback speed.

The first is a very fast hyperlapse video lasting a bit over three minutes. At the Col de Lepoeder (at about 2:20 - 2:22) it looks like the pilgrim goes down the steeper, wooded path to the albergue in Roncevalles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzNrSdO33QQ

The second shows the full route at a slower speed. This video was filmed by @davebugg and produced by @John Sikora, both forum members. It is 42 minutes long and it has two sidebars in the video showing Brierley's map and a Google Earth map with a moving indicator of where Dave was when filming that frame of the video. Dave took a right at a road (at about 34:30) to take the less steep and Pilgrim Office recommended way down to Roncevalles. At the signpost (at 34:30) he could have taken the alternative trail and ended up on the same road he took but just a little farther down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLMyWudsSXQ

The third video, uploaded by BK Lee, shows the same walk that Dave did. The video shows a seven and a half hour walk in a five hour video. The decision to go down the less steep route was made after 4:06:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVX7B1rbJlk

If you want to see the walk through Valcarlos view these two videos by John Sikora. He did the trip in two days, spending the night in Valcarlos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPaqFvBV_tU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjcJ3V2pIos

The Pilgrim's Office in SJPdP has a paper handout map of "Les ports de Cize" showing the two routes from SJPdP to Roncevalles. A copy is online.
http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE1.11.Aqu.Nav.SJPP-Ron.Cize.pdf

Click the picture below to get a bigger version of the elevation profiles of the Napoleon and Valcarlos routes. On the webpage that comes up you will see more information about distances, heights, slopes, etc. in the comments.

Last edited:
Hi Kate,
Last year I walked from St Jean Pied de Port as far as Pamplona, ( a week's walking should get you further than that), and this year will continue on from Pamplona to Burgos. Yes the path climbs, but it is a paved road for a lot of it, so it is not treacherous underfoot. It is a long walk to Roncesvalles for a first day, so many people break it by making a short first day and stopping at Orrisson. The final descent into Roncesvalles goes through the forest and the path was muddy and slippy in places. There is an alternative to walk on the road instead of through the forest which removes the potential slippy path.
I would not describe it as a quiet route - I started solo and quickly fell into step with 2 other people. There were usually many others in view all the time.
Hi Kate,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Kate,
Thanks for that Fletcher, that's a big relief. Somebody said the trek from Sdp is steeper than Croagh Patrick which sounded a bit scary. But if it's a paved road for most of the journey then it sounds ok.

I think you may have been reading exaggerated reports of the crossing from SJPDP to Roncesvalles. It is a straightforward walking path - long and sometimes steep but definitely not a technical mountaineering challenge. Many people far older than you and probably in far less fit physical shape walk it every year without serious difficulty. I cannot comment on your bunion issue. That is one for you and your doctor or podiatrist to talk about. As for the route being very quiet??? On a busy day in late August or September it is quite possible for over 400 people to set out from SJPDP. Most choose the higher level path - the Route Napoleon - and form a near-continuous conga line :) If you plan to set off from SJPDP in summer then finding yourself short of company would be the last thing I would worry about.

That's reassuring Bradypus. I spoke to one of the many travel agents which pop up in the Camino searches .. This lady seeto think it was a bad idea to take this route as it was so quiet ! I'm more inclined to believe your version as it will be August and from what I read here, SpdP seems to be a popular starting point.. Appreciate your feedback!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't think you should have any real issue. Due to time constraints while I was still working, I did the Camino in three pieces in subsequent years.
I train year round, but found it never really comes close to duplicating the rigors of being on the trail. The important thing is not to over extend yourself the first few days. Since you are only walking a week, just take it easier on the first few days. If anything starts to feel off, stop right away and deal with it. Never put off dealing a discomfort to the end of the day as it may have magnified itself into a bigger issue by then.
Zrexer thanks for the very useful advice. This is something I wouldn't naturally know, in fact I would have thought its best get the hard bits out of the way first then relax for the last days. It makes sense and it's something I'll remember.

I have said it before and will say it again to anybody who has not walked the Camino, do not watch videos showing the entire route before you go. Be surprised. Be apprehensive. Be all those things that a step into the unknown brings.
Walking the Camino is not dangerous and requires no precise planning for safety. Watch the videos later after you get back, so they can stir up good memories.

SJPDP to Roncesvalles is not treacherous! I did it without any prior backpacking or long distance walking at the age of 58.
I think that people are suggesting starting in Sarria if you want to receive a Compostela this time. But if you plan to return to pick up where you left off, then start in SJPDP.
Thanks trecile for the helpful info.

I have said it before and will say it again to anybody who has not walked the Camino, do not watch videos showing the entire route before you go. Be surprised. Be apprehensive. Be all those things that a step into the unknown brings.
Walking the Camino is not dangerous and requires no precise planning for safety. Watch the videos later after you get back, so they can stir up good memories.
RJM This is what I love to hear. So far I haven't watched any videos but getting all my info from this forum which is so good and informative. Thankfully my fears have abated after reading the posts here. I love the idea of facing the Unknown and experiencing this special journey for the first time.

You should have enough time to get to Pamplona and maybe even as far as Puente la Reina. From either place you can find public transportation back to Biarritz. Try to spend a night in Biarritz, you will love it.
Good to know, many thanks for that.

RJM This is what I love to hear. So far I haven't watched any videos but getting all my info from this forum which is so good and informative. Thankfully my fears have abated after reading the posts here. I love the idea of facing the Unknown and experiencing this special journey for the first time.
You do have to be careful though watching those type videos after you return home from the Camino. They very well may make you want to walk it again. ;)
I took a peak at one of them just now and had a sudden desire to be on it again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kate,
I am 68, not too fit, and i managed the SJPDP route. Yes, it is tough, but you are walking on roads, good paths, etc, and yes, some rocky and difficult downhills, but from your description you will do just fine. My strategy was to depart early, go slowly, take rests, drink Aquarius water or Gator Ade, and enjoy the splendid scenery. Most important, use walking sticks, they do a little of the work for you. Dont let advice make you fearful. If you are in the shape you say, you will do just fine.
Buen camino!
(My blog at jacscamino.wordpress.com may help give you an idea of the trek).
Great advice there Jackieduda. I like the idea of departing early and having all the time in the world .Feeking more confidant by the minute!

You do have to be careful though watching those type videos after you return home from the Camino. They very well may make you want to walk it again. ;)
I took a peak at one of them just now and had a sudden desire to be on it again.
All the great things I'm reading here on this forum and the obvious enthusiasm is enough for me 😀

That walk from Saint Jean to Roncesvalles on either route (Napoleon or Valcarlos) is not in the least bit treacherous. You will be walking on mostly paved roads on the Napoleon, up a gradual, but steep hill. Hydrate, bring energy food and walk relaxed. You will have no problems.
As far as footwear goes, find a good combination with the right socks for you, wear them a bit to break them in and then go on a few 10km walks in them. That will let you know if they will work.
Thanks for the useful advice RJM. Much appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I do wonder if those who have advised that you shouldn't start off your first Camino on this route might also be those who like to tell you how dreadful their pregnancy and births were as soon as they discovered you were pregnant 😆. There will always be someone who tries to put you off.

The one thing I would say is that it can be hard going until you reach Roncesvalles but, as has been said on here, definitely worth it. I rode from SJPdP in 2013 with my husband and we found it very hard. Indeed, three times I told him we should turn back (I'm a bit of a wimp, me), and he kept encouraging me, then when he said we'd never make it to the top, I encouraged him to carry on. We did reach to top and I'm so very glad we didn't give up on that very first leg.

Thanks for the encouragment. After reading these posts the naysayers have lost their power to scare me away. Whatever about footing it, I couldn't imagine cycling these heights. Well done to you both for making it!

Somebody said the trek from Sdp is steeper than Croagh Patrick which sounded a bit scary. But if it's a paved road for most of the journey then it sounds ok.

I've walked both the Route Napoleon and Croagh Patrick. They are completely different sorts of walk and the Route Napoleon is far easier (but much longer!). Certainly nowhere near as steep and much smoother surfaces. Mostly on paved roads or on tracks used for 4x4 vehicles. If you are imagining something similar to climbing Croagh Patrick then I think you will be very surprised and perhaps a little disappointed at the anticlimax when you actually walk it.

Last edited:
If you have the time, stop at Orisson for the night, it is a wonderful start to your Camino. I do not believe you will have any trouble with the walk.

Along with others I would advise starting in StJPP .
I am nearly 75 and managed it two years ago in38 degrees so I would hope you have more pleasant conditions.
Don’t be put off by other folk , you will thoroughly enjoy the experience .
Buen Camino

It´s an excellent idea to begin in Saint Jean and continue where you left off the next year. You will have an extraordinarily different and richer experience than beginning in Sarria!!

Hi Kate - Don't miss the walk over the Pyreness from Saint Jean to Roncesvalles! I was worried about the walk and did just fine. The suggestion regarding stopping in Orrison for the night is a good one but you need to book that in advance as I understand the space is limited to 35-40 people. That did not work into my plans but I met many people who met in Orrison and all raved about the experience. I have to ditto those who recommend starting in Saint Jean - I think it will be a different and richer experience. Buen Camino!

Kate - welcome to the slow walkers' club! As you can see, I started my journey to Santiago de Compostela 7 years ago, and I've a way to go yet. It's been there for a long time, so I'm not in any hurry.

I have walked from SJPdP to Roncesvalles twice, at ages 64 and 65, and I doubt if I'm as fit as you. In good weather, it's an easy walk (once you're past Orisson) and a wonderful experience. The going is (mainly) firm and well marked, but the weather is the deciding factor - in low cloud, visibility can be down to 20 yards or less (I speak from experience) in which case you could be anywhere.

Check with the pilgrim office in SJPdP the night before, but you should be ok in August. You won't want for company, I can guarantee that. And take plenty of water.

Final tip - when you get to the tarmac road down to Roncesvalles, take it (turn right) instead of the (steep and muddy) trail down through the woods.

You'll have the time of your life - enjoy it!

Last edited:
My strong suggestion is to start at the beginning. If you start at Sarria you will have a far different experience, not for the better.

Don’t worry about it. Let the Camino magic happen. Don’t over think it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Believe me, just because you are a "first timer" does not preclude you from starting in SJPdP. I started out there in 2010 for my first Camino and this past fall I returned and did the same at 62, both times walking to Roncesvalles.

It sounds like you are fit so go for it. This past summer I did high altitude hiking in the mountains and believe me, the stage from St. Jean has nothing in common with that.

About your bunion issue: I have 2. I walked the CF from St. Jean PdP 3 years ago at the age of 67. I was apprehensive about foot/bunion issues. I ended up having no foot issues, as my pedorthist prescribed a shoe with a wide toe box - I wore Altra Lone Peaks. They were very comfortable.

Go for it Kate and start from SJPdP. My first trip out in 2009 I walked from SJPdP to Logrono (over 8 days) and went out over the next few years until I reached Santiago. If possible stay in Orrison to break the first day walking. Use the same peregrino passport on each trip for the pilgrim office in Santiago. Take your time and don't rush it and don't over think it.
Enjoy your camino journey and Buen Camino. (Slán o BÁC)

@Artykat , welcome

I support your intention to start at Saint-Jean and go as far as seems comfortable this year. And to re-start from that stopping point next time. Repeating each (year) until you have achieved your goal. Very European approach.

I say this noting your general fitness level.

For going up (very) steep hills you may consider taking very short steps (heel of one foot not passing the toes of the other foot). This saves quite a bit of energy as you lift each foot the bare minimum. And also consider timing your footfalls to each breath you take.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

About your bunion issue: I have 2. I walked the CF from St. Jean PdP 3 years ago at the age of 67. I was apprehensive about foot/bunion issues. I ended up having no foot issues, as my pedorthist prescribed a shoe with a wide toe box - I wore Altra Lone Peaks. They were very comfortable.
Hi Priscila thank you so much for your very useful info. I have checked out the Altra Lone Peaks on Amazon . Reading the reviews has given me a lot of information about these shoes and decided do on go for them. The wide toe box is great Idea and nice to read about so many satisfied customers so a big Thank You for your suggstion 😀

@Artykat , welcome

I support your intention to start at Saint-Jean and go as far as seems comfortable this year. And to re-start from that stopping point next time. Repeating each (year) until you have achieved your goal. Very European approach.

I say this noting your general fitness level.

For going up (very) steep hills you may consider taking very short steps (heel of one foot not passing the toes of the other foot). This saves quite a bit of energy as you lift each foot the bare minimum. And also consider timing your footfalls to each breath you take.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Thank You Alwynn for your advice - very handy to know. Looking forward to the first of what I hope will be many Camino's.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Go for it Kate and start from SJPdP. My first trip out in 2009 I walked from SJPdP to Logrono (over 8 days) and went out over the next few years until I reached Santiago. If possible stay in Orrison to break the first day walking. Use the same peregrino passport on each trip for the pilgrim office in Santiago. Take your time and don't rush it and don't over think it.
Enjoy your camino journey and Buen Camino. (Slán o BÁC)
Lua thank you! Yes I'm deciding to stay in Orison for first night after some advice here( my initial thoughts were to fly through the tough parts first (in my dreams!) and relax for the last few days but soon realised it doesn't work like that. Now I just want to relax and savour every minute of the journey.

Believe me, just because you are a "first timer" does not preclude you from starting in SJPdP. I started out there in 2010 for my first Camino and this past fall I returned and did the same at 62, both times walking to Roncesvalles.

It sounds like you are fit so go for it. This past summer I did high altitude hiking in the mountains and believe me, the stage from St. Jean has nothing in common with that.
LTFit good to hear from you. I have since heard the same comment about high altitude hiking being very different to the hike over the Pyrenees from SJPdP - which is very reassuringly. .

My strong suggestion is to start at the beginning. If you start at Sarria you will have a far different experience, not for the better.

Don’t worry about it. Let the Camino magic happen. Don’t over think it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
[QUOT

[/QUOTE]
Thank you tvSteve when I first came to this forum I was full of apprehension but your post and many others are showing me that an important part of the Camino is setting your thinking right before you begin so Hello new experiences Goodbye fears!

Kate - welcome to the slow walkers' club! As you can see, I started my journey to Santiago de Compostela 7 years ago, and I've a way to go yet. It's been there for a long time, so I'm not in any hurry.

I have walked from SJPdP to Roncesvalles twice, at ages 64 and 65, and I doubt if I'm as fit as you. In good weather, it's an easy walk (once you're past Orisson) and a wonderful experience. The going is (mainly) firm and well marked, but the weather is the deciding factor - in low cloud, visibility can be down to 20 yards or less (I speak from experience) in which case you could be anywhere.

Check with the pilgrim office in SJPdP the night before, but you should be ok in August. You won't want for company, I can guarantee that. And take plenty of water.

Final tip - when you get to the tarmac road down to Roncesvalles, take it (turn right) instead of the (steep and muddy) trail down through the woods.

You'll have the time of your life - enjoy it!
GLenshiro your advice is most welcome , this kind of info from seasoned Camino walkers like yourself is far more valuable than any book . I hav started to fill a small notebook with advice and tips from here. . Hopefully the feet will stay dry this way.

Hi Kate - Don't miss the walk over the Pyreness from Saint Jean to Roncesvalles! I was worried about the walk and did just fine. The suggestion regarding stopping in Orrison for the night is a good one but you need to book that in advance as I understand the space is limited to 35-40 people. That did not work into my plans but I met many people who met in Orrison and all raved about the experience. I have to ditto those who recommend starting in Saint Jean - I think it will be a different and richer experience. Buen Camino!
Many thanks Denise for your input. I suppose it's not took early to book a place in Orrison...I'm hearing so many more positive remarks here about the journey accross the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles than I had heard from a travel agent I spoke to before I came on her so now I know it was not a mistake booking my flight to Biarritz and starting from SJdP. I love the enthusiasm of the people here😎

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It´s an excellent idea to begin in Saint Jean and continue where you left off the next year. You will have an extraordinarily different and richer experience than beginning in Sarria!!
Hi Joseph thanks a lot for your input... Delighted to hear that😀

Go for it Kate! Trust your gut. Invest in some good socks and boots. I chose Solomon Ultras. Alternative, a good pair of trail runners.

Along with others I would advise starting in StJPP .
I am nearly 75 and managed it two years ago in38 degrees so I would hope you have more pleasant conditions.
Don’t be put off by other folk , you will thoroughly enjoy the experience .
Buen Camino
Thank you Cathn much appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would like to expand the question, if somewhat
Pretty much everyone recommends to check the weather while in SJPdP to make the final determination whether to walk Napoleon or Valcarlos.
is there even a remote possibility that all is peachy-honky-dory on your day 1 thus (taking it slowly) one makes it to Orrison, spends the night there and the morning of Day 2 is JUST AWFUL!!!!
So... what does one do? (I mean short of calling a cab and whatever options derive from there - go back to SJPdP or be taken to Roncesvalles)

Many thanks Denise for your input. I suppose it's not took early to book a place in Orrison...I'm hearing so many more positive remarks here about the journey accross the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles than I had heard from a travel agent I spoke to before I came on her so now I know it was not a mistake booking my flight to Biarritz and starting from SJdP. I love the enthusiasm of the people here😎
Definitely not too soon to reserve at Orisson. It seems that people are waiting around two weeks for a response from them at the moment. Also, some people have missed the response altogether and found the invoice in their PayPal account. To make a reservation email them at refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr. And watch for the response to come from a different email address - Sarl Apathia.

I would like to expand the question, if somewhat
Pretty much everyone recommends to check the weather while in SJPdP to make the final determination whether to walk Napoleon or Valcarlos.
is there even a remote possibility that all is peachy-honky-dory on your day 1 thus (taking it slowly) one makes it to Orrison, spends the night there and the morning of Day 2 is JUST AWFUL!!!!
So... what does one do? (I mean short of calling a cab and whatever options derive from there - go back to SJPdP or be taken to Roncesvalles)
I've read of that happening and Orisson arranging transportation to the Valcarlos route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
thanks @trecile
good to know (sort of puts a damper on things... hmmm... did i intend the pun? :rolleyes:) but i guess its better than going back and possibly lose a day

Last edited:
@Artykat
Hi Kate
I am a newbie here as well and basically about 2 years away from my planned Camino. I agree with you inasmuch as "it felt wrong' to me to start anywhere but SJPdP (and that is with understanding that I am going to do Frances). I DO hope I will get the 6-weeks I plan to devote to my Pilgrimage, and if so - am determined to see it fully through (and hopefully end in Finisterre). If not, then I am prepared to do whatever stages I will have to based on the time available to me and then pick it up "next year" from where I left
Good Luck and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
@Artykat
Hi Kate
I am a newbie here as well and basically about 2 years away from my planned Camino. I agree with you inasmuch as "it felt wrong' to me to start anywhere but SJPdP (and that is with understanding that I was going to do Frances). I DO hope I will get the 6-weeks I plan to devote to my Pilgrimage, and of so - am determined to see it fully through (and hopefully end in Finisterre). If not, then I am prepared to do whatever stages I will have to based on the time available to me and then pick it up "next year" from where I left
Good Luck and Buen Camino!
Good luck with your planning and with your Camino when it rolls around in 2 years time. Ideally I would have loved to have the luxury of 6 weeks to do it but see this trip in Sept as the first taster. You have a long pilgrimmage ahead of you so lots of planning to do.

Just seen this thread. Doing the camino is a personal thing as to what you want or get out of it. For example, reading this forum on a regular basis you will soon learn how the importance or otherwise of getting a compostela varies so much between people. Likewise with videos. I enjoyed very much seeing videos BEFORE I went and they definitely added to my camino. Currently enjoying videos on SJPP to Roncesvalles as part of planning my next Camino (having done last 100k). Research and then decide what YOU want.
Buen camino

Can I just point out that the Camino doesn't start in SJPP? It actually starts on your own doorstep, or maybe even further back than that ;)

The trip over the mountains, in good weather, is very enjoyable. Take food, water and, above all, time.

I quite envy you as you take your first steps.

Buen Camnio.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just seen this thread. Doing the camino is a personal thing as to what you want or get out of it. For example, reading this forum on a regular basis you will soon learn how the importance or otherwise of getting a compostela varies so much between people. Likewise with videos. I enjoyed very much seeing videos BEFORE I went and they definitely added to my camino. Currently enjoying videos on SJPP to Roncesvalles as part of planning my next Camino (having done last 100k). Research and then decide what YOU want.
Buen camino
🤣

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back