• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer needs accommodation advise

hayden van neck

Hi.

I am walking the Camino in September this year,starting from SJPP on sept 3rd. I normally walk about 20 miles a day and start about 8.30am. Is it difficult to find spaces to stay at the end of each days walk,about 5.00pm.

cheers hayden

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Camino from late Sept to the end of Oct last year. I started walking between 6-7am and walked between 6-8 hours a day. Stopping between 1-3pm and never really had a problem finding a place to stay. You may encounter a few problems if you arrive around 5pm. You will encounter everything on the Camino = all kinds of weather, hills, rocky paths, mud, etc. and all will effect the distance you can cover in a days time. Walking the mileage you do regularly is going to make you very well prepared for the Camino. You are going to have an incredible adventure. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked last year in May/June, you shouldn't have any problem with accommodation. I stayed in a mixture of municipals and private owned albergues and the standards of all varied totally, sometimes the 5 euro municipal would be much better quality than the 15 euro private albergue! I just decided based on the guidebook and on where fellow pilgrims stopped.

One thing I would advise is that for the last 100km after Sarria it does get busy with lots of Spaniards and school groups. For that stage of the walk we rang ahead to book a room for our accumulated merry band of pilgrims to ensure we didnt get stuck. So that could be a wise decision.

Oh and handy tip - bring a little plastic drybag so you can bring your valuables into the shower with you to keep them safe! Just in case! :)

But honestly accommodation is nothing to worry about! The Camino is magic and I truly believe God lovingly takes care of all his peregrinos! You'll have the time of your life! Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will find it difficult to start later than 7am and by 1 or 2 pm you will be looking for a place to stay after the heat of day. In September there will always be a roof over your head at night but shorten you days after Sarria on the weekends.

You will find it difficult to start later than 7am and by 1 or 2 pm you will be looking for a place to stay after the heat of day. In September there will always be a roof over your head at night but shorten you days after Sarria on the weekends.
Hi there, I see that you state it will be difficult to start later than 7:00 a.m. Is this because of the heat, becuase they chuck you out or for some other reason?
I am a late riser...just preparing myself!
Regards

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there, I see that you state it will be difficult to start later than 7:00 a.m. Is this because of the heat, becuase they chuck you out or for some other reason?
I am a late riser...just preparing myself!
Regards
Thanks for advise.I am an early started but travelling with someone who starts slower.A month of early starts should sort her out.ha ha.

In albergues usually around 8 they expect that most pilgrims have departed so they clean.

I walked last year in May/June,

One thing I would advise is that for the last 100km after Sarria it does get busy with lots of Spaniards and school groups.
!

Unfortunately this comment sounds a bit detrimental, like the Spanish shouldn't be there! Anne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I found that from 6am onwards you would not get much sleep. People start getting up to go to the toilet and rummaging about. It didn't bother me too much. Sometimes I went on the wifi or just lay on the bed as everyone gets ready for another day's walk. It is lights out at 10pm anyway. Even though I did not always get 8 hours sleep I never struggled to get out of the bed like I would sometimes at home. The sense of adventure ahead solved that.
Everyone has pretty much left by 8am anyway. I was always looking forward to my cafe con leche so it always pushed me out the door.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.