• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer on Camino- self guided tour company information needed

KateandJohn

Time of past OR future Camino
spring or fall 2016 first timers
Hi,
My husband and I are hikers, not backpackers. So we want to use a self guided tour company to make accommodations and transfer our stuff so we just need to carry day packs and poles. Any recommendations on companies to use? I've heard of Mac Adventure Tours but know nothing about them. Other tour companies that anyone has had first hand experience would be so great! We are looking at going spring or fall of 2016.
Thanks so much for your help!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just walk on your own and send your bags,onwards in the am with Camino Facil or lther com'anies,that have enveloped at each albergue along the way - even the post office now offers this service.

A lot of pilgrims use tour companies. I've met several folks on the Camino who were very happy with the tour set up, and the lodging folks are well versed in dealing with problems and situations.
With everything taken care of, all you have to do is enjoy the walk.

Here is one that come up on a web search:
http://caminoways.com/our-services/camino-de-santiago-self-guided-tours-2
and another
http://www.walksinspain.com/camino/index.html
and another (looks good)
https://www.andaspain.com/

Good luck. Ask for references. Buen Viaje

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A lot of pilgrims use tour companies. I've met several folks on the Camino who were very happy with the tour set up, and the lodging folks are well versed in dealing with problems and situations.

and another
and another (looks good)

and another
and another (looks good)

Thank you very much! Will check these out.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh, wow. I had no idea this was an option. Thank you.
Absolutely. These companies leave envelopes at the front desk on which you put down name, conatct info and where you want your bad delieverd. You then put the money in the envelop and tie it to the bag. Voila! Down side is that you have to comit to your next stop, up side os that you are not taken for a ride by "tour operators" who chaerege an arm and a leg for very little added value. Just get a goog guide with the list of albergues and distances, and go with that. Take a light day back to carry rain gear, water and snacks, and you are ready.

It is easy to do this yourself without paying a commercial operator - just get on Gronze for a list of accommodation. Then use booking.com (but check out the maps to ensure you are not booking 10km off the path) or email or telephone direct to the accommodation to make reservations. As Anemone says, the baggage forwarding is easy, all the private albergues and hotels/pensions on the route are set up for packs to be collected and delivered each day.

Having said that I know people who used commercial operators and were happy to pay for someone else to do the work.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Everyone is on their own journey in their own way. I do find that many commercial entities are getting added support from many who are knowledgable about the Camino and are able to pass info along. Even in a recent book, a tour company received a mention on the first page, and later in the book, so many mentions of 'Coke', I begun to suspect 'product placement' which is alive and well in the media, movies, books. etc.
However you go …..Buen Camiono

Since you're not going until next year, you have plenty of time to investigate tour companies and well as do a lot of reading online, especially this forum. You may find there's far more infrastructure than you could have imagined, and that setting everything up on your own may be much easier than you think.

That's exactly what happened to me and my husband. When we first started seriously planning two years ago, we didn't even consider going it "on our own." Not only aren't we hikers, we're not even daypackers (or weren't, anyway). But reading through so many helpful threads on accommodations, transport services, restaurants, and many other factors we'd never even know to consider, completely changed our outlook. We're now planning to just see where each day takes us. Would never have considered it without the information on forum, as well as in many of the excellent guidebooks out there.

Regardless, many people prefer having someone else take care of the arrangements and find it enough to just get out there and walk each day, already knowing where the day will end. I've talked to, and read many posts, from pilgrims who felt exactly that way. Whatever you decide, welcome to the forum and Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To answer your question rather than try to give you an alternative. I researched MacAdventures and WalktheCamino. Chose the later since their first question was more of what do you want to do vs. here is what we have. Currently walking. I opted to have a room set each night. At my stage in life, I value predictability a bit more. So far, bag has arrived before I did and each room has been great. The financial penalty for doing this was about 20% or so over doing it myself (by my calculations). Their expertise was well worth it so far.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My camino is next spring, and I think a tour company would be a great convenience but it is not something I would want to use. The reason is I would like flexibility on how far to go every day. Since I will be 70 and have had various medical issues, my plan is to go VERY slowly. If I can only walk 10k a day I will be okay with that. I hope to decide as I go along here to stop for the night, and am confident with the help of guidebooks, my smartphone, and the wonderful advice from this forum that I will be able to book suitable accommodations. Buen Camino!

I walked off and on with a lovely lady from the US who was using a tour company. She was very disappointed. Not just with the quality of some of the accommodations and a degree of backwards and forwards transfers that became necessary, but mainly the lack of flexibility. Due to injury she would have preferred the flexibility to choose rest days, or short days as she wanted. She made it by the way! All 500 miles.

Due to pre Camino injury I needed to transport my backup luggage each day. (Long story) And purely by preference I stayed in private accommodation. I didn't have any difficulty in booking accommodation and sending my bag ahead. As others have said, all accommodations have the luggage transport envelopes and will show you how to use them. Some of the best places I stayed were Albergues wit private rooms. Best of both Worlds!

As I don't really speak Spanish, I booked accommodation via booking.com or selected my next stopping point and asked hotel/casa staff to call ahead and book for me. They were all very helpful. Next time I will learn enough Spanish to make the bookings myself.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi,
My husband and I are hikers, not backpackers. So we want to use a self guided tour company to make accommodations and transfer our stuff so we just need to carry day packs and poles. Any recommendations on companies to use? I've heard of Mac Adventure Tours but know nothing about them. Other tour companies that anyone has had first hand experience would be so great! We are looking at going spring or fall of 2016.
Thanks so much for your help!
I am from Australia and used an Australian guy who lives in Santiago . His name is Garry Buden he may be contacted at garry@spanishadventures.com. If you go to trip advisor you shall be able to read my review. It was really great to have someone to phone if you got into any trouble (as I did). Besides arranging all your accommodation and bag transfers he supplies you with a phone with 50 Euro credit which I found to be invaluable

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back