• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer on the Camino del Norte

Chris81

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to do the walk From Irun right through to Santiago de Compostella. I'll be walking the first half with my mum and sister and the second half on my own. I plan to do it over a 4 week period starting around 21st May! Its several months away but i'm already really excited about the journey and meeting lots of friendly people! I've been looking at various websites for tips and help but there are so many, its hard to take it all in. I found this website today and it's looks fantastic, everyone seems very friendly and eager to help..its brillant!

I was wondering if anyone had done this route and if so can you tell me what you thought? the highs and lows? and any other tips you can think of?

Great to be part of the Camino community,

Chris

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Chris81,

Welcome to the forum (and if 81 is your birthday year, I am old enough to be your mother, and I'm sure she will love this journey as well).

After you take a look at some of the posts on the link miguel sent you, please post back with more questions. I could go on and on about this lovely route (only downside for me was lots of asphalt), which in fact I have already done in many of the other posts, for instance:

el-camino-del-norte/topic2829.html
el-camino-del-norte/topic12086.html

Looking forward to continuing the conversation, buen camino, Laurie

Hi Chris

I walked the del Norte in late August/Sept in 2009 with a companion. We had 2 days when we did not walk, and our total trip time was 33 days, so it took us 31 days actual walking time. We were fit, and I think to do it much quicker than that would be a big ask. The first section from Irun to Bilbao is more strenuous than anything I have encountered on the Aragones or the Via de le Plata.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

I agree the first week is very strenuous lots of up and down hills so be prepared for that I found the section they call Calvary the hardest but It was very enjoyable for all that;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to do the walk From Irun right through to Santiago de Compostella. I'll be walking the first half with my mum and sister and the second half on my own. I plan to do it over a 4 week period starting around 21st May! Its several months away but i'm already really excited about the journey and meeting lots of friendly people! I've been looking at various websites for tips and help but there are so many, its hard to take it all in. I found this website today and it's looks fantastic, everyone seems very friendly and eager to help..its brillant!

I was wondering if anyone had done this route and if so can you tell me what you thought? the highs and lows? and any other tips you can think of?

Great to be part of the Camino community,

Chris
The norte is my personal favorite for the landscape. It is exciting having views of the sea appear at times when one least expects. You'll have your choice of many beaches, some of which, will be empty. It is less crowded and a bit more physically challenging than the others I've done. In summer, during a regular year, you will find many towns and cities with beaches that are filled with tourists but I had no problem finding a place to sleep. And being most days were filled with solitude walking, I welcomed see the tourists. Blisters are a problem for many especially from Irun to Bilbao where you build your hiking legs right out of the gate on the most difficult beginning stages. I took more zero days or nero (near zero) days than most and if you have the time and resources might be a good option especially in the first weeks.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back