• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer on the Camino (Frances)

marcpointon

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 all going well :)
Hello everyone!

Mid May 2015 will be my first walk on the camino after 3 years thinking about it, NZ is a long way from Spain! Any help, suggestions, info for a first timer would be much appreciated! My only real fear is getting lost but I have to remind myself that's the fun of it! So any info getting my hands on some useful maps?!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi and welcome!
The best tip I can give you is to make extensive use of the search function here on the forum, read a lot of the forum and then come back to us with any remaining specific questions you might still have. And maps you will not really need on the CF, it is very well, sometimes too well, marked.
Buen Camino, SY

PS I just see that you are in London, the CSJ http://www.csj.org.uk/ is offering regularly pilgrim preparation days ...

Hi,

There's really not much chance of getting lost - you'll be walking with loads of other people, and there are little yellow arrows all along the way...

Actually, I'd say the real fun of the camino is not having to worry about things like getting lost: to be honest everything is more or less arranged for you (the route, the accommodation, etc), giving you a lot of freedom to focus on your thoughts, the beauty of the landscape, and the good company. It is a very unique and special experience, having the chance to share your ups and downs with a supportive group of 'strangers' from around the world, as well as the support of the camino itself, and the wonderful generous Spanish locals.

Some people are happy with a single piece of paper with the distances between towns and the names of the hostels, others like having more substantial guidebooks, as it gives you something interesting to read while you're zoning out after your day's walk.

You are going to have the time of your life.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If that is your only fear then you have nothing to fear! Actually if we are honest we have all slightly detoured at times. But on the Camino it really isn't an issue. If you stray slightly you will easily get back on track. Just remember to take your time at deciding when in doubt. The only real opportunity to miss your way is when walking alone and entering that "empty mind " place and so miss an arrow. If you have walked more than a ten minutes since a junction without seeing a sign then stop, have a good stare, think long and hard, and then if necessary retrace your steps. All will be well I'm sure. Welcome and Buen Camino

Welcome on this forum , its almost impossible to get lost . Have an eye out for the yellow arrow's . I wish you happy planning and a great camino .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello everyone!

Mid May 2015 will be my first walk on the camino after 3 years thinking about it, NZ is a long way from Spain! Any help, suggestions, info for a first timer would be much appreciated! My only real fear is getting lost but I have to remind myself that's the fun of it! So any info getting my hands on some useful maps?!

Marcpointon:

Buy good shoes and break them in. As your feet go so goes your Camino.
Start slowly and ease your body into walking shape.
Pack as light as possible. We all have different wants but the Camino will teach you how little you really need.
Listen to your body. If you feel a hot-spot address it asap. There is no reason to get debilitating blisters.
Let the Camino be your guide. Try not to over-plan.

It is difficult to get lost on the Frances.

Ultreya,
Joe

Try not to rush each day. Build in enough "slack time" to your plans so you are not forced to cut corners to make a scheduled flight. All of the advice about using the forum search function, treating footwear as a priority, etc, are spot-on.

Good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks everybody for taking time to write, it's great to have this online community of camino lovers. Much appreciated, Blessings to you all :)

Well, if this post from you is anything to go by and regarding your 1st post about 'fears', it seems to me you having nothing to fear about having the 'Camino spirit'.
Buen Camino

marcpointon you take it nice and steady don' t rush and you should have the walk of a life time enjoy all your planning . There is more chance of finding yourself than getting lost by the way. Buen Camino:)

Thanks Pilgram b. I'm trying with this experience to not plan or control too much of what happens, I have a tendency in my life to somewhat over plan haha...one question of have though is should I book albergues in advance or just rock up? I will be going on the camino from mid May..and I also quite like the idea of sleeping outside from time to time..could this be possible mid May to Mid June? Thanks Marc

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back