• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer, solo woman senior. Travel company or self book?

littlegreen60

Time of past OR future Camino
Early June 2023
Hi Everyone
I am considering walking my first Camino, solo, from Sarria in June. I am 62 and in fair shape, but I really want to be able to take my time and not push, like maybe 12 days.
I almost booked with a self guided tour company, but once they added the solo surcharge, it seemd too expensive, approx 1600 $for 12 days, no dinners...
I am kind of overwhelmed at the idea of researching and booking where to stay on my own I can over do planning...

I like the idea of flexibility, but I'm concerned about getting stuck with nowhere to stay, or in a seedy place. It would be my first time traveling alone overseas.

Flying in and out of Porto from NYC seems like the most reasonable air fare.

Wondering about costs if I want to eat a good meal or want a private room.

Any encouragement, insights or suggestions are welcomed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You’ll probably worry yourself senseless in the lead-up to this but:

Book your first couple of nights in advance; thereafter - relax and take it as it comes. It’ll be fine. I’ve walked with people who must have evaded their full-time carers or had never been allowed out on their own before; but somehow nothing caught fire, nobody died and everyone got to Santiago.

It’s not that difficult - but you’ll not believe me until you’ve had a go.

Hi Everyone
I am considering walking my first Camino, solo, from Sarria in June. I am 62 and in fair shape, but I really want to be able to take my time and not push, like maybe 12 days.
I almost booked with a self guided tour company, but once they added the solo surcharge, it seemd too expensive, approx 1600 $for 12 days, no dinners...
I am kind of overwhelmed at the idea of researching and booking where to stay on my own I can over do planning...

I like the idea of flexibility, but I'm concerned about getting stuck with nowhere to stay, or in a seedy place. It would be my first time traveling alone overseas.

Based on the info you gave, I absolutely recommend self-booking. The camino is very safe, you won't be left stranded somewhere (esp Sarra - Santiago). Albergues are most economical, but if you need a night alone, there are plenty of pensións or "Casa rurals" along the way. You'll save money, be able to create your own schedule, and leave room for magic.

If you're overwhelmed, something I like to do is get on google maps, look at camino towns and "pin" places that have great reviews. Some wonderful places I've stayed have average reviews, so take it with a grain of salt. You can usually tell who the high-maintenance folks are ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It’s the most walked stretch with plenty of support and fellow Pilgrims. Walking as a solo woman is not a problem. Many of us on this forum walk alone, at least we start that way and we are way older. 🚶🏽‍♀️🚶🏽‍♀️Check out Gronze.com to get a good idea. Then make your own stages. Buen Camino!

I agree with the previous comments, just pre-book your first couple of nights. That will relieve any stress you might have. Once you get there, you'll see how easy it is.

If you are not comfortable to 'wing it' after that.
Just jump on to booking . com in the evenings and check out where you might like to stay the next night or two. That way you can ensure you have a booking one of two days ahead. It's that easy.

The biggest issue in my mind with using a tour company or pre booking the whole journey, is lack of flexibility. How could you possibly know what distance you feel able to to walk, or want to walk, on day 7 !

If you have a smartphone, you can book rooms as you go along. Some Albergues are also available to book this way. Many people use booking.com for convenience, particularly if they lack Spanish skills. I would think the advice to book the first 2 days is good, and then you may find yourself adjusting your distances places you might stay. LOTS of places to choose from in that stretch. If you are worried, you can prebook everything with free cancellation and change on the fly, if you wish.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Everyone
This sounds great
Yes, many of us have a tendency to over-plan and you are certainly not alone in that.
😍 I get that this is a huge step for you. Congratulations! ♥️ If you want to take a further step then take @henrythedog 's advice. The Camino is a very safe place to challenge yourself. What ever you decide, I am sure that your Camino will be a memorable event in your life.
You probably should consider the total travel cost rather than just the airfare, even though the airfare will probably be the major part.

The downside of flying into and out of Porto (a beautiful city btw) is that you then have a bit of a complicated journey to Sarria. It would be simpler to fly into and out of Madrid. Then there is lots of advice on the forum about travelling from Madrid to Sarria.
There is a large range and I am sure something to suit your requirements. Start by looking on gronze.com It is in Spanish but most browsers will translate for you.

I see that others have suggested using booking.com and that is useful advice but the downside of starting at that website is that it is not focussed on the Camino and so it often isn't obvious how close a particular place is to the Camino itself. You will be tired after walking and will not want to have to travel big distances to get to your accommodation. Also, most of your fellow pilgrims will stay in places close to the route and so if you are off to one side then you have less chance to interact with them.

Starting at gronze.com will help you identify places close to the Camino and used by other pilgrims. If you then want to book via booking.com then that is fine.

Once you start walking your fellow pilgrims will give you advice on where to eat.
I wish you the absolute best for this pilgrimage!

Last edited:
Booking your own arrangements is not difficult. Websites like Gronze.com and Booking.com can assist you both with daily distances and accommodations. Doing your own booking is not hard.

With that said and since you are flying into Porto, let me humbly suggest walking a different Camino. My bias is that I find the section of Sarria to Santiago to be one of my least favorite parts of the Francés. In June, that last 100 kms to SdC will be crowded. Therefore, why don’t you explore beginning in Tui and walking from there to Santiago? That route is the final 100 kms of the Camino Portugués. After arriving in Porto, take a bus or train up to Valenca or Tui where you’ll start walking. It’s a wonderful Camino with great country to walk through and cities to visit like Tui, Pontevedra, and Padrón. The walk is also not particularly difficult, but it encompasses all of the aspects of what makes a great Camino experience. Even though you’re walking solo, you’ll find many kindred spirits to connect with along The Way.

On Booking.com, you’ll find all types of accommodations for all price ranges. Many restaurants serve pilgrim meals that cost about €12. I think that after you start doing the research, you’ll become more comfortable doing this on your own.

Booking.com is easy, and you dont have to book the whole trip at once.
Look for places that are 100m - 300m from the centre of town, and you'll be on or close to the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can see by the map here on the gronze.com website that there many small towns and options. If you don't read Spanish. You can open it in a Chrome browser and it will translate for you. It is a bit early to book for June, but as others have said, maybe book the first night (or two) and then just book a day ahead as you go. This leaves much more flexibility. If you get finished earlier consider a bus trip to Muxia or Finesterre for a night. Most of all Buen Camino, dreaming about the Camino is a special experience in anticipation.

Hi Everyone

Lots of us were nervous the first time we headed out.
I will add to the excellent advice given above: Remember the mantra The Camino will provide. As you get into the rhythm of the walk, I venture to say you will be able to free yourself of most of your concerns, and then allow the Camino to show you the Way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is a wonderful adventure for you, Little green. First times--there will always be an element of uncertainty and anxiety until you are there. Fully in the moment.

Self-book for greater flexibility!
You can then determine where you stay, what you eat, and how far you will walk (or have a sightseeing/rest day).

As others have said, there is plenty of accommodation in the Sarria to Santiago de Compostela stretch. You can have your pack transported, or catch a bus, or taxi if you feel inclined (for any reason).
Buen Camino

This sounds great

Yes, many of us have a tendency to over-plan and you are certainly not alone in that.

😍 I get that this is a huge step for you. Congratulations! ♥️ If you want to take a further step then take @henrythedog 's advice. The Camino is a very safe place to challenge yourself. What ever you decide, I am sure that your Camino will be a memorable event in your life.

You probably should consider the total travel cost rather than just the airfare, even though the airfare will probably be the major part.

The downside of flying into and out of Porto (a beautiful city btw) is that you then have a bit of a complicated journey to Sarria. It would be simpler to fly into and out of Madrid. Then there is lots of advice on the forum about travelling from Madrid to Sarria.

There is a large range and I am sure something to suit your requirements. Start by looking on gronze.com It is in Spanish but most browsers will translate for you.

I see that others have suggested using booking.com and that is useful advice but the downside of starting at that website is that it is not focussed on the Camino and so it often isn't obvious how close a particular place is to the Camino itself. You will be tired after walking and will not want to have to travel big distances to get to your accommodation. Also, most of your fellow pilgrims will stay in places close to the route and so if you are off to one side then you have less chance to interact with them.

Starting at gronze.com will help you identify places close to the Camino and used by other pilgrims. If you then want to book via booking.com then that is fine.

Once you start walking your fellow pilgrims will give you advice on where to eat.

I wish you the absolute best for this pilgrimage!
Many good thoughts in this. Re: booking.com, Gronze works with booking.com (somehow) as they offer links whenever the place they mention works with that outfit.
I would suggest having a buddy (remember Scouting?) but from Sarria on there isn't a lot of remote territory to get lost in.

The suggestion above about booking the first night is good. From there on out, at 1:30 or 2:00 PM start looking for a place. You will find one, I am confident. (Besides it's a pilgrimage. Trust is an essential element. Don't get me started on the times that Jesus found us a place to sleep!)

From Sarria on there are a lot of places to sleep, to eat, to have coffee...You can also look at maps.me or maybe even wikiloc (or Google maps or https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=7.0/40.7749/-3.2308 this is the whole of the Iberian peninsula but you can work with it from there) and there will be places that are maybe a few hundred feet to the side as well as the others. I also recommend that you buy a guidebook, as for example the ones sold by our host on the Board, here, for a start at places to sleep.)

Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I prefer to go on Camino alone, and have never felt the need for a buddy, as there are usually plenty of other pilgrims around if one wants company. Especially Sarria to Santiago.

🤣🤣

With you 100% there
I think the very last thing I need on a Camino is a 'buddy'!

Hi Everyone

Good day. I have done part of the Camino twice as a solo woman traveler and honestly I would save the money and book yourself. I am going again this Spring when I can settle on a date and I will book it myself. Having said that it is nice having someone do it all for you but it is reflected for sure in what you pay.
Buen Camino!

Hi lg60
Lots of good ideas above. I'd add:
- IMO the usefulness of the advice here will depend very much on your confidence and ability to improvise and be resilient in new situations. When we look back on our first caminos we generally see that actually there was very little to worry about - even though the adventure sometimes felt very intense at the time.
Sarria to Santiago in June is going to be very busy. If demand is similar to 2022 then finding accommodation is likely to be a competitive process. You can do it all in advance for peace-of-mind or you can wing it. I think last year showed that even booking a couple of days ahead is increasingly difficult in high season on this most popular stretch. The other winging it option is to stay in first-come-first-served municipal albergues, which are actually a really great part of the experience IMO! How brave are you ready to be?
- you say you'd like to take it easy over 12 days, but actually almost no-one goes this slowly: you'll find yourself with many many hours to time-kill in small galician towns and villages as people stream past you moving at the more standard rate. And as such you won't be able to make and hold friend/comradeships along the way (actually one of the most amazing things about el camino). And if you've booked everything in advance over 12 days it'll be hard to change your booking plans on the fly should you click with some one or a particular merry band of pilgs.
So here's what I'd like to add:
- keep talking on this thread - if you give us more info about your capabilities and inclinations and we can tailor something a bit better
- get a pack and do some day walking - see how it feels to walk the kinds of standard distances that others typically do on this section (18-25km). It'll be your first camino, there's no harm in going with the flow and then, having done that, deciding how you want to change that for when/if you decide to come back again. Also, going a bit further and feeling a little bit exhausted is all part of the deal - does wonders for the sense of achievement and the appetite!
- if you find you can manage ok more kms, then other possibilities for your 12 days open up, like walking on to Finisterre for instance - but we maybe getting ahead of ourselves here..
cheers, tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello and welcome

Well done for asking the forum, you are braver than I was before my first Camino (age 61)! You've had some great responses from experienced Pilgrims here.

I used a company first time around; it was appropriate for me at that point as I would not have walked a Camino without doing that then. It gave me enough experience to know I could go it alone next time, which I did.

Big question: what sort of accommodation do you want? The main choice is between sharing rooms with others and possibly bunk beds to private rooms (with or without your own bathroom) which will cost more but be much cheaper if you book it yourself. It is perfectly fine to mix and match whatever you fancy. The municipal albergues do not take advance bookings but most other types of accommodation do. What I rather like are rooms with a small number of single beds but I also give myself a single room with ensuite bathroom if I find one that is a reasonable price (personal decision always).

Booking.com is easy and convenient. Often you don't pay in advance and have the option to cancel up until 24hrs before...but not always! I suggest you book your first 3 nights and that will give you a couple of days to walk before you choose and book night 4. I walked during a busy period and booking 2 nights ahead I never had a problem.

I use an app on my phone but also carry a paper guide book which I find much easier for planning. I did spend time before I went looking at the various accommodation options in the places I thought I'd stay but also alternatives too. I then annotated my guide book with ones I liked the look of and any to avoid. It was quite time consuming however it was very handy once I was in Spain. I was not brave enough to leave it completely to chance but did have flexibility. I tried to always leave comments about places I stayed on the app as I appreciated reading comments from others who'd stayed. Do check the date comments are made as recent ones are the most useful.

You will have an amazing experience however you choose to walk it. Enjoy your planning too and do practice walking with your clothes/kit, it will help physically but even more mentally :)

3 keys:
  • Gronze.com,
  • carry as light as possible (many packing lists on this forum),
  • book a day ahead.
After the second day, you will wonder what has kept you and smile at your worries. My advice: Consider starting a couple of etapas (stages) earlier, like from Ponferrada, you'll experience some more typical stretches than the "highway" Sarria to SdC; or follow the recommendation of @Grousedoctor above.
And btw: You are still a far way off from being a senior, and here's a secret: The Camino makes Peregrinas young! (Don't tell anyone)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

Welcome and buen camino! When I first walked, my husband was concerned and asked me what I would do I got stuck somewhere or turned my ankle or.... My answer is "I'll call a taxi." You will not be far from all that you need. It's not like you'll be up in the rocky mountains. There are so many people all around who will help you.

All you have to do is pack, get there, and start walking-- follow the yellow arrows or just the pilgrim who just ahead of you. (Lots of walkers from Sarria on to Santiago!) You can read all kinds of advice on packing here at this forum. I learned a lot from carrying my own gear and having the freedom to stop or go where I wanted every day.
There are also lots of details about where to stay and how they the places are different, in cost and comfort levels.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you to everyone for your insight and suggestions! I already feel the Brother and sisterhood <3

At this point, I think I will change my plan and fly into Madrid as suggested, and fly back from Porto. Thank you Grousedoctor.
I am also considering starting out father than Sarria, thank you pepi and peregrino_tom.

And finally, you have all helpd me feel much better about booking this myself.

Other concerns-I am chubby, overall pretty healthy, but have some concerns about my knees and hips holding out. I can walk 2 miles easily, 3 miles and a bit worn-but I feel it a little in my hips when I finish (bursitis). I am not sure I can get up to 10 miles at a time...

My true desire is to be in the landscape- I'm a nature gal. So starting a stage eariler makes sense.

Would you recommend a bus or train from Madris to say, Ponferrada?

Also- any experience on the cost of changing a flight last minute if I need to shorten or lengthen my trip?
I will keep asking questions-thank you!!!

Would you recommend a bus or train from Madris to say, Ponferrada?

Bravo! I'd take the bus, fastest and easy, take the shuttle from MAD to Madrid Estacion Station Check out and register at ALSA and book ahead ==> peace of mind.
Also recommending to book your first night in Ponferrada, my favoured there is Hotel Aroi Bierzo Plaza, cosy, smack in the center and reasonable in price.
Have your first dinner and a glass (or two) of good vino tinto just accross the street at Pizzeria Trastevere ....and you're set to an easy walk the next day to beautiful Cacabelos (15.4 km, recommendig to stay at the Moncloa de San Lazaro.
The second day, again an easy walk to Villafranca del Bierzo, (about 10 km), reserve and stay at the very reasonably priced Hostal Tres Campagñas (modern, clean and a lovely owner Loli, give her my best).
Day 3: Walk to Ruitelan (18.5 km), stay at Paraiso del Bierzo
Day 4: Climb up, its only about 10 km but steep(!) to O'Cebreiro, Stay at Casa Carolo or Casa Rural Navarro
Day 5: Easy descent to Triacastela (20.8 km) book a room at the Albergue A Horta de Abel
Day 6: Walk to Sarria (either via San Xil, 17.8 km, or via Samos 25 km) and stay at Pension Escalinate

Continue with the help of gronze.com, by now you can do it alone: ("B" = Booking.com)
😎Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 15.39.16.png

Arzua to Lavacolla might be a bit long, but Gronze.com helps you with shorter alternative walks.
In Santiago, stay at my most favored Hotel Virxe da Cerca, you'll find cheaper ones, but hey: You deserve it!

Buen Camino

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 14.37.12.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 14.37.12.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I can walk 2 miles easily, 3 miles and a bit worn-but I feel it a little in my hips when I finish (bursitis). I am not sure I can get up to 10 miles at a time...
You don't have to do it all at once. Walk a few miles, stop for coffee and rest. Then another few miles. Everyone is different. You don't have to walk further than you want each day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After just surviving covid last spring I walked a short Camino to recuperate. If you walk only 10 ks its easy doable. I used the Correos service english speaking for Back bag transport if you feel you need it. Gronze was my guide. Plenty of company if you want it. It is just so freeing to plan just for a day ahead or two, soon it becomes normal.
Prepare your feet, take as little as you can with you, drink plenty of water, have your little emergency contact card with you incase you loose your phone. ;)
Invest in good shoes and a decent backbag.
You can do this! If dilly old me with bad knees, you can do it!

Self Book, it is pretty easy once you get going.

First, figure out what distances you think you want to hike. If you are going to just "follow the stages", then use a guidebook or an app to tell you the stage towns.

Once you know what distances/stages you want to walk - Use an app or gronze .com to see where you might want to stay and make the reservations. I like gronze .com a lot - the website is in Spanish but a chrome browser can translate it for you. But the gronze website shows places that are within a reasonable distance of the hiking trail (whereas exact location to the trail may not be evident when you use booking sites). It tells you if the places are reservable - and if yes - it gives either a phone#, email, webpage, or even a booking .com link (depending on what the accommodation choses to use for reservations). Most towns do have places with links to booking .com if you chose to book all your accommodations through them.

Albergues can be anywhere from 5-20 Euros for a bunk in a dorm room. Privates can be anywhere from 25-70 in that region (with Santiago being the most expensive and can be even higher). I spent an average of 38 euros for privates probably.

Please note - some private rooms still have shared bathrooms - so pay attention to that if it is an issue for you. I have never had an issue with shared bathrooms myself.

After just surviving covid last spring I walked a short Camino to recuperate. If you walk only 10 ks its easy doable. I used the Correos service english speaking for Back bag transport if you feel you need it. Gronze was my guide. Plenty of company if you want it. It is just so freeing to plan just for a day ahead or two, soon it becomes normal.
Prepare your feet, take as little as you can with you, drink plenty of water, have your little emergency contact card with you incase you loose your phone. ;)
Thank you, your encouragement really helps♡

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you, your encouragement really helps♡

Hi Everyone

I did the whole Frances in 2019 at 75, solo - I switched between inns and alberques as I felt the need for privacy. I booked about 1 day ahead from the place I was staying. I always found the innkeepers were happy to help with telephoning and to supplement my poor spainish to make arrangements for the next night. I will do the Portugese this year at 79 the same way. 2 tips - I did make liberal use of pack/bag transfers. and just carried a day pack. I planned 20k a day and took rest days when I needed it.
This time I will up my training to get a jump on increased strength.
Don't worry! - one of the best thngs I've ever done!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Everyone

This advice is from a self-booking perspective, with the idea of booking before you leave or having enough info to book or modify while you are out on the camino:

Start with a list of possible stages. Go back and look at the tour company you first considered and make a list of stages they would have put you on. Then look at any other tour companies and their stages. Many of these companies cater to seniors and also want their customers to book more nights rather than less nights. This means they are likely not having their customers overdo their daily walks.

Guidebooks will often be more helpful in describing the actual terrain of each day's walk. Same distance between towns doesn't always mean same level of difficulty.

Gather several stage lists from various sources and see how they match up.

Then consider their reported distances between stages and generally decide (meaning not commit to a fixed decision) if each specific stage will be too much for you.

Then go look at J Willhaus above suggestion about gronze and see the different towns and possible stopping points and start making a list of possible stages which fit you and begin to formulate a stage design which suits you.

Once you start formulating your Possible Stage List, make sure you know the distances between each possible stage. JW's example above is great for this. Use that and write each down in a list in a notebook so you can easily combine distances (ex: Sarria to Vilei 3.6 + Vilei to Mosteiro 0.6 = 4.2). You don't have to list these in your notebook for every single town, just for the ones you are considering stopping in, but you WILL take all the distance totals for the towns you are passing through and put those distance totals on your list. (Ex: Gronze lists 18 towns between Sarria and Portomarin. You don't need all of them listed but you must know the distance between Sarria and Portomarin and the distance between Sarria and any town before Portomarin you are considering stopping in).

As you start making a list of possible stages which suit your ability and fitness level ("I know I can make it this far" or "I'm not sure if I can do that distance" or "I know I can't go that far") you will begin to formulate a more coherent list of possible stages.

(As you continue walking in training you might change your mind as you assess your capabilities and adjust possible stages accordingly, i.e. "I can walk further than I thought I could" or "I'm worried about my knee acting up again. I'd better take it easier than I previously planned")

So you take all that info and start making a stage list for YOU on THIS trip. You will have definite stops and possible stops.

The Definite Stops are ones which suit your preferences. Those preferences might include: Ability to book ahead of time; Suitable accommodation; Places to eat; Distance between towns demand you stay there.

Then you take your Possible Stops and either solidify or eliminate based on your needs and criteria: Distance between definite stops; Places to stay, if any; Types of accommodation; Ability to book ahead of time, etc.

One strategy to consider is to book all Definite Stops ahead of time and booking the ones in-between as you are on the road.

If you use Booking(dot)com a great tip is to look at the guest reviews and do a search within the reviews on each specific property you are considering using the word 'camino'. You will find that people on the camino love using the word 'camino' in their reviews and they are very helpful. Your search results will include results such as "right on the camino path" or "nice place but too far from the camino for us" or "perfect indulgence on the camino after many nights in albergues". The more results in reviews of the words 'camino' and 'pilgrim' the better. Using those words will net you info on distance of hotel from actual camino route, comfort of beds, bathrooms, showers, bathtubs and other things. If you don't see the word 'camino' in the reviews there is a good chance not too many pilgrims stayed there-- and the two main reasons pilgrims won't stay in a specific hotel are 1- too expensive 2- not close to the camino.

This advice is from a self-booking perspective, with the idea of booking before you leave or having enough info to book or modify while you are out on the camino:

Start with a list of possible stages. Go back and look at the tour company you first considered and make a list of stages they would have put you on. Then look at any other tour companies and their stages. Many of these companies cater to seniors and also want their customers to book more nights rather than less nights. This means they are likely not having their customers overdo their daily walks.

Guidebooks will often be more helpful in describing the actual terrain of each day's walk. Same distance between towns doesn't always mean same level of difficulty.

Gather several stage lists from various sources and see how they match up.

Then consider their reported distances between stages and generally decide (meaning not commit to a fixed decision) if each specific stage will be too much for you.

Then go look at J Willhaus above suggestion about gronze and see the different towns and possible stopping points and start making a list of possible stages which fit you and begin to formulate a stage design which suits you.

Once you start formulating your Possible Stage List, make sure you know the distances between each possible stage. JW's example above is great for this. Use that and write each down in a list in a notebook so you can easily combine distances (ex: Sarria to Vilei 3.6 + Vilei to Mosteiro 0.6 = 4.2). You don't have to list these in your notebook for every single town, just for the ones you are considering stopping in, but you WILL take all the distance totals for the towns you are passing through and put those distance totals on your list. (Ex: Gronze lists 18 towns between Sarria and Portomarin. You don't need all of them listed but you must know the distance between Sarria and Portomarin and the distance between Sarria and any town before Portomarin you are considering stopping in).

As you start making a list of possible stages which suit your ability and fitness level ("I know I can make it this far" or "I'm not sure if I can do that distance" or "I know I can't go that far") you will begin to formulate a more coherent list of possible stages.

(As you continue walking in training you might change your mind as you assess your capabilities and adjust possible stages accordingly, i.e. "I can walk further than I thought I could" or "I'm worried about my knee acting up again. I'd better take it easier than I previously planned")

So you take all that info and start making a stage list for YOU on THIS trip. You will have definite stops and possible stops.

The Definite Stops are ones which suit your preferences. Those preferences might include: Ability to book ahead of time; Suitable accommodation; Places to eat; Distance between towns demand you stay there.

Then you take your Possible Stops and either solidify or eliminate based on your needs and criteria: Distance between definite stops; Places to stay, if any; Types of accommodation; Ability to book ahead of time, etc.

One strategy to consider is to book all Definite Stops ahead of time and booking the ones in-between as you are on the road.

If you use Booking(dot)com a great tip is to look at the guest reviews and do a search within the reviews on each specific property you are considering using the word 'camino'. You will find that people on the camino love using the word 'camino' in their reviews and they are very helpful. Your search results will include results such as "right on the camino path" or "nice place but too far from the camino for us" or "perfect indulgence on the camino after many nights in albergues". The more results in reviews of the words 'camino' and 'pilgrim' the better. Using those words will net you info on distance of hotel from actual camino route, comfort of beds, bathrooms, showers, bathtubs and other things. If you don't see the word 'camino' in the reviews there is a good chance not too many pilgrims stayed there-- and the two main reasons pilgrims won't stay in a specific hotel are 1- too expensive 2- not close to the camino.
This is so helpful, thank you! I found maps of elevations between towns that will help too.

My recent considerations:

I understand that Sarria to Santiago is probably the most heavily traveled route -and I have some reservations that perhaps you could offer suggestions on.

On the one hand, as a first timer, I am glad there are so many places to stop, but on the other, I want to walk in the countryside primarily. I am not sure how much "countyside" is in between Sarria and Santiago.

I think I should be able to do 10 km per day, and possibly more as I get going. I am thinking maybe 10 or 12 days of walking- with time on both sides to rest up and spend a little time sight seeing.

Based on these consdierations, do you have suggestions about a starting point, ot even an alternate portion of the Camino Fraces?

Thank you @KFH, excellent advice.

I understand that Sarria to Santiago is probably the most heavily traveled route -and I have some reservations that perhaps you could offer suggestions on.
Don't worry, the towns are quite small until you get to Santiago. You will find plenty of countryside.
I think I should be able to do 10 km per day, and possibly more as I get going
I'm pretty sure that you'll find that you can walk quite a bit farther than 10 km per day as you go on.

It's easier for me to walk long distances while on the Camino because that's pretty much the only thing that I need to do each day.
And don't think of it as doing a 10 km walk. Instead think of doing several 5 km walks with breaks in between.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is so helpful, thank you! I found maps of elevations between towns that will help too.

My recent considerations:

On the one hand, as a first timer, I am glad there are so many places to stop, but on the other, I want to walk in the countryside primarily. I am not sure how much "countyside" is in between Sarria and Santiago.

I think I should be able to do 10 km per day, and possibly more as I get going. I am thinking maybe 10 or 12 days of walking- with time on both sides to rest up and spend a little time sight seeing.

Based on these consdierations, do you have suggestions about a starting point, ot even an alternate portion of the Camino Fraces?
I am rookie too and can only advise on planning. All of what I wrote is some of what I learned in the last year or so. I've had to cancel or postpone three times in the last year due to a schedule conflict, my friend's injury, and a financial difficulty which I should have foreseen but didn't.

I used the time in between decisions to delve deeply into planning, including tons of reading and questions on this forum, reading guidebooks and websites, and watching videos. I do this sort of thing for any trip I take as I've been to several countries over the years but am prone to the sometimes helpful/sometimes not helpful combination of excitement, nervousness and anxiety. The planning helps me relax about the upcoming travel and my planning goal is to be well-informed but flexible.

My mindset is not for everyone, and I freely admit that it is largely because I just plain worry too much. I have a friend who did CF last year whose planning style can be fairly summed up as "St Jean is in France? Got it. I'm good" lol.

I've faced many of the same questions and issues you are going over now. The albergue thing is easy for some but not for me, as I have some health issues that I cannot ignore. That's how I came to the Definite Stop thing-- I look at those as places where I will definitely book a room and be by myself and get some rest. (Others might look at Definite Stops as an albergue they like or the distance between towns, or a bigger city etc).

Considering your preferences and time-frame, I think your first question should be "How important is it to walk into SDC on this particular trip?"

If it is important, then you will have to choose a route (and/or distance on a particular route) which YOU can walk THIS particular trip. You do this by planning backwards from SDC, which you already have discovered as you have begun to consider Ponferrada etc.

For some people it's not important to walk into SDC on each particular trip, which is why they do the CF in stages. This is often in hand with the desire to "save" SDC for last after doing chunks of the CF along the way. This will come out as something like "first trip SJPP to Pamplona, second trip Pamplona to Burgos..." etc

Other people-- "saving" SDC doesn't matter to them. They put more value into the walking into SDC as much as they can and plan each walk accordingly. On the CF, this might even be a series of "further back" walks-- say Sarria onwards the first time, then Leon to SDC next time etc. Or it might mean choosing a non-CF route which they can do at this time.

(for an interesting discussion on this topic please see here:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/how-important-was-it-to-you-to-do-full-cf.77600/

please note that going down this topic road in this thread of yours might lead to it being closed for getting off-topic)

Once you answer that question for yourself then you start looking at the overall routes. The decision on which route will be based on a couple of factors, but the main one is "How important is the CF to you compared to other routes?"

Both this question and the earlier question are tied into the basic question "Do I intend to come back again?"

To me, you must answer these basic questions before any additional legitimate questions such as "How much nature?"

The best ways to answer that question about nature are 1) people's comments on this forum 2) the photos on this forum and 3) youtube.

Researching routes or segments of routes on youtube is very helpful if you can wade through all the videos which don't suit your purpose. Some are too much talking-head and not enough landscape and actual path. Some you might not really care what the person is saying but watch with the sound off because they have good video of what you are looking for.

You can search for routes or specific segments of routes you are considering. (Ex: "Sarria to Portomarin") The key is to watch with intention-- look exactly for what you want to find out. Sometimes the audio will take your focus off of your goal because so many other questions and interesting things come up. In this case, maybe watch with the sound off with the specific goal of seeing the landscape and perhaps the amount of people.

Based on your preferences but using my own answers to the above questions I would say maybe take another look at Grousedoctor's suggestion above. If that isn't a match for you then it is likely because you have answers to the basic questions which point you in a different direction.

You probably feel inundated with all the advice, no worries, it all comes with caring and well wishes!
Indeed, maybe book the first day, or two, then go day-by-day. You will find a place to stay.
One of the blessings (and lessons) of the Camino is allowing yourself to let go. Let your sense of time and desire to be in control go. In this sense, being on the Camino is as close as us more aged ducks can come to being irresponsible teenagers again. Booking a day ahead should be fine...though Sarria to Santiago is more crowded.
For myself, what I loved about my Camino was re-learning a different sort of time. After a couple of decades of dad responsibilities, then a couple of years of ridiculous lockdowns and restrictions on one's movements, to be on an open road, with no particular plan, other than to walk West...well, it was exactly what I needed.
Feel free to buy a Grateful Dead t-shirt and shock your friends, lol.

You probably feel inundated with all the advice, no worries, it all comes with caring and well wishes!
Indeed, maybe book the first day, or two, then go day-by-day. You will find a place to stay.
One of the blessings (and lessons) of the Camino is allowing yourself to let go. Let your sense of time and desire to be in control go. In this sense, being on the Camino is as close as us more aged ducks can come to being irresponsible teenagers again. Booking a day ahead should be fine...though Sarria to Santiago is more crowded.
For myself, what I loved about my Camino was re-learning a different sort of time. After a couple of decades of dad responsibilities, then a couple of years of ridiculous lockdowns and restrictions on one's movements, to be on an open road, with no particular plan, other than to walk West...well, it was exactly what I needed.
Feel free to buy a Grateful Dead t-shirt and shock your friends, lol.
I am feeling more comfortable with the idea of booking as I go now.
Love the dead shirt reference. Not a shocker for my friends 😉

I really am used to walking on my own in nature, so I hope this route will be OK. The Norte and primitive have a real draw for me, but im not at that fitness level yet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...
I am hiking the Norte and Primitive routes starting May 16, 2024. This will be my first Camino. I have access to the Buen Camino app, Gronze, and a guidebook which are all excellent at providing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.