• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Timer, Tickets Booked! gear Packed, PaniC

ScottRD

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to Walk Camino De Santiago (French Way)
Hi Everyone,

Just booked my tickets and very excited to be walking the first section of the Camino Frances (I have three 3weeks and am starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port and will just see where I end up).

I start on July 24th and have to return Mid Aug. Let me just preface everything that follows with the fact that i've never done anything like this before in my life and am not familiar with any of this stuff so please forgive my silly questions.

Anyways, I'm fairly tall (6 foot 4) and an odd size 38 waist and size 15 feet! and NOTHING ever fits me in stores so buying clothing etc is very stressful for me as it's a game of "find what you can online and GUESS if it works"

So now i'm trying to get my gear together. Please help with suggestions on certain brands or materials. I have already read many of the pack lists, just trying to figure out best options within that.

SHOES: Already decided Merrell is my only option for shoes (size 15). They make several models of shoe - anyone suggest anything? I know not to get gortex. ut i see that have several lines of shoe.

SHORTS - have been thinking about doing running/gym pants - but since i've never been a runner or a gym guy or hiker, not sure if it's better to get the ones that have the "mesh support" built in (BTW - are you supposed to wear underpants with these??) or just get regular shorts? Sorry i know, but i've never worn "tech" clothes in my life.

Guys? Do you get the pants with the built in mesh and go commando or just regular shorts without the mesh "cradle"?

I tend to get some chafing in the heat so all suggestions are welcome!

PANTS: People suggest getting a pair of long pants for hiking. I've always worn jeans but i know i cant bring those so any suggestions on a very light weight pair that will work well in the heat? Thoughts on convertibles? Not fond of the way they look but never worn them

UNDERPANTS: Smart Wool. 3 pairs. Already Sorted

SOCKS: I already have regular REI merino Crew socks, BUT is there a better sock for Hiking in the heat?

SHIRTS: ICEBREAKER. Already Sorted 2Xshort sleeve, 1X long sleeve.

PACK: Debating between the OSPREY EXOS 38 or Stratos 36: Any opinions? My torso is fairly short for my height and found the OSPREY packs that had a dedicated MEDIUM size to fit the best.

SILK LINER: Any recommendations for brands here? I'm looking at the RAB Travel or the Cocoon Travel Sheet. Open to any suggestions. I will probably cut the side open of whatever I get as I hate being "trapped" in a bag.

FLEECE: Looking to get an ultra light fleece jacket (100 grade)

JACKET OR PONCHO OR BOTH? I also have no jacket or windbreaker. Any recommendations? No idea what would be good in the heat!

Water Bottles: From what i've read 2X 500ML seems the way to go. Not too worried here as I can get a bottle anywhere

That's really all i need help with for now. I know, silly over thinking - but it's heard when i can't actually try anything on in a store so hoping to hone in quick and buy some options, returning what doesn't work.

Please help! Leaving soon and i have to order all this stuff and test!

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
First Camino Frances I wore Merrell Moab shoes, non waterproof, one size larger than was comfortable in store. This was absolutely the best advice I received prior to going. Not a blister. They were champion.
Second Camino Frances I wore Merrell Moab Mids, those low cut boots, waterproof but not Goretex, 1/2 size larger than was comfortable in store but in a wider fitting. (I'm paranoid about getting my feet wet).
Not a blister. They were champion.

As you are walking mid-summer I'd suggest the shoes rather than boots. Find the comfy ones in store then get 1/2 size larger in a wider fitting. As your feet swell, and they will, you will grow into them.
I tend to loquacity so will refrain further.
Regards and good planning (it's fun eh?)
Gerard

Thanks Gerard. Do you know which Moabs? The classic Ventilators? I saw they Had Moab FS as well. Not sure the difference.

How many and what type of shorts did you take?

Are long pants necessary?

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Since renamed Ventilators.
http://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-v...color=J32549#cgid=men-footwear-hiking&start=1
Good value at around US $100.
The vibram soles protect against stone bruising.
Forgot to say after recommendation I replaced the innersoles with ones from Superfeet. Original equipment insoles always wear out quick.

Took 2 pairs Columbia zip-off convertibles. Not a fashion statement but light, easy to wash and dry. I wore one pair out the door when leaving so only ever had one in the pack. And no need for separate shorts.
Long pants equate to respect - Even agnostic atheists have gotta go into churches and out for dinner on Camino. And convertibles are ok for wandering the streets of Paris, Madrid or Santiago.
Regards
Gerard

Yah - I know i definitely will need at least one pair long... ugh. thanks for the columbia tip! Looking at their site now and they have longer inseams!

Did you go in the summer?

Yah - I know i definitely will need at least one pair long... ugh. thanks for the columbia tip! Looking at their site now and they have longer inseams!

Did you go in the summer?
Autumn/Fall
As to other items a quick response
Jeans -- No!
Socks -- medium thickness wool were fine.
Pack -- You like Osprey check the Kesteal 38 also. Whatever - under 40l
Fleece -- 100 grade will be fine. Zip right up the front style - ventilation
Wet weather gear -- With poncho no need for windbreaker or rain cover.
Regards
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I brought with me a 2 litre "gourd" or water skin with tube attached and refilled each morning or as needed on way. much easier to drink rather than bottles. I also got lighter as I drank more!!!
I also brought a Sleeping bag liner. Just the liner. Never felt the need for more. My Camino Frances was mostly in September.
Buen Camino

Hi

My preference for walking is 7 inch running shorts ( New Balance accelerate). Running shorts have the advantage of being lightweight and quick drying. They can also be used for swimming and sleeping and if needed can be worn under your trousers. An alternative to a fleece is a lightweight down jacket. The Mountain Hardware ghostwisper weighs 7.5oz and is warmer for its weight that an equivalent fleece. You can always find it at sale price. Don't forget the layer principle with clothes. I carry different weight merino tops. A light and medium weight that can be worn at different times of the day or worn together for extra warmth. A shirt and t-shirt combination also works. I would also suggest a lightweight waterproof jacket is more practical that a poncho. A jacket looks smarter around town. Have a look at www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk as they list the weights of all the gear they sell.

My two cents worth:
With convertible (zipoff) pants or running shorts, I use poly (tech) unders. Reason: mesh+cradle=chaffing.
I use Kuhl brand zipoff pants. They are bit more stylish. Great for walking in Paris, into a church, and to keep the sun off your legs when you want. It will be hot! I walked the CF last July. Hot, I say!
I took two long sleeved tech t-shirts and one packable button-down, collared shirt. Just a bit more style and respectability at dinner or in a church.
For summer you won't (normally) need rain gear. A super lightweight poncho will provide that insurance, just in case. I never took mine out of my pack, or my jacket for that matter.
For more, check out my packing list, link at top of my blog.

Buen Camino!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mesh=support=no undies required. But do prepare against your chafing. "Butter" the insides of your thighs. Or wear long boxer briefs (spandex style). Research info on bicycling websites or mags.

Underwear??? I tried several makes and now use Sloggi Shorts with a bit of Lycra in. They are horribly expensive and the most comfortable underwear I've ever walked in. BUT a word of warning!!!! I had a pair purloined in Boadilla (I think) by a German packing up at about 5-30am. If you see a late middle aged German in a pair of black Sloggis could you please get them back for me. They were £14 a pair!!!! (Actually I'm sure he picked them up by accident in the dark, but it makes a much better story if he stole them!!!!!) And coming from England my walking boots have to be Goretex. I have a pair of Meindl Bhutan boots and had 1 blister caused by a pair of insoles I mistakenly put in. Went back to the originals and I was fine.
P.S. Stop worrying so much. You'll be fine. The only expensive equipment I used were the boots and an Osprey pack. Zip offs were cheap (refuse to pay for expensive walking trousers unless I'm looking for winter weight ones), t shirts likewise. We didn't find anywhere that wouldn't let you in when wearing shorts, but trousers are probably a good idea for churches, so zip offs are great.
Butter the inside of your thighs??????? Unless it really turns you on, I wouldn't bother, providing you've got your underwear sorted. Mind you, I managed without coating my feet in Vaseline too.
DON'T OVERTHINK. Just go with it.

I chafe bad when I walk or run in hot weather. I wore compression shorts on the Camino under tech type shorts. The best defense I have found to combat getting chafed down there is an application of Vaseline over the affected areas. A couple of times when I didn't do the Vaseline thing I got chafed so bad I went commando for a few days until I healed up. The tech type convertible pants/shorts are a good compromise. as said on here previously, Kuhl makes some good ones. I own a pair of their pants. Well made. Columbia also makes some good ones.
silk liner-yes
rain jacket or poncho?-rain jacket
Merrells?-yes, wore them on all three of my CF's
cheers and ultreia

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks!

Ok so no to shorts with built in liners. Any running short models to recommend?

Shorts -My son ( next to me on my picture :) ) is 6'5. He has pretty big upper legs and wore compression underpants and tech sport shorts (without the mesh).
Pants- He found a pair of good Columbia hiking pants that were long enough for him, in an outlet store.
socks-We both wore Thorlo medium cushioned hiking socks and loved them.
shoes- Keen (me) and Merrell (him) hiking shoes that were 1 size bigger then our normal size. We also prefer pre-taping our heels and pinky toes with Leukotape P. (both of us had a blister free Camino) and use bodyglide (or vaseline ) where needed.
Fleece - I love having one with me, mostly for mornings and nights and during flights/bus trips.
sheet- we had cocoon sleep sheets with us.
rain jacket or poncho- I tried both and I prefer a good poncho. Only because I sweat too much in a jacket (mine said it is breathable but still...)
Buen Camino :)

Last edited:
I tried several makes and now use Sloggi Shorts with a bit of Lycra in. They are horribly expensive and the most comfortable underwear I've ever walked in. BUT a word of warning!!!! I had a pair purloined in Boadilla

Hahaha - when I saw the question about men's underwear, I just knew Peter was going to get here eventually to tell us about his wonderful underwear that got stolen! :eek:

(Hi! Its Jennifer - in case you can't tell from my picture!)

Regarding the question about mesh/commando vs underwear - I have a logistical question. If one were to go commando, then wouldn't you need to wash your pants (trousers) every day? I always thought one of the reasons for wearing underwear was to keep all that contained so just your underwear gets sweaty and the pants remain clean(er) for another wearing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hahaha - when I saw the question about men's underwear, I just knew Peter was going to get here eventually to tell us about his wonderful underwear that got stolen! :eek:

(Hi! Its Jennifer - in case you can't tell from my picture!)

Regarding the question about mesh/commando vs underwear - I have a logistical question. If one were to go commando, then wouldn't you need to wash your pants (trousers) every day? I always thought one of the reasons for wearing underwear was to keep all that contained so just your underwear gets sweaty and the pants remain clean(er) for another wearing.
Study the lyrics to The Lumberjack Song from Monty Python to find out what real men use for underwear!

Need more help guys!

For shirts I was thinking of Icebreaker COOL-LITE shirts. Anyone tried these? Worried if they are wool they will be too hot? Also people recommended a long sleeve shirt. I see they make these in icebreaker as well. Thoughts? I want to go as light as possible so trying to hone in on the "perfect" gear.

Need more help guys!

For shirts I was thinking of Icebreaker COOL-LITE shirts. Anyone tried these? Worried if they are wool they will be too hot? Also people recommended a long sleeve shirt. I see they make these in icebreaker as well. Thoughts? I want to go as light as possible so trying to hone in on the "perfect" gear.
I say definitely throw a long sleeve one in your pack.
I start off again on the CF again next week. I'm bringing three synthetic tech shirts with me. Two short sleeve ones, and one long sleeve. I'm also bringing a lightweight fleece pullover.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Need more help guys!

I'm starting from SJPP the same day as you this year, and I'll have two long-sleeved Icebreaker shirts with me (200 weight), and an Icebreaker t-shirt with me (150 weight), same as last year when I walked in the summer. I love the way they keep me cool when it's hot, and warm when it's cool, and the long sleeves are perfect sun protection. Not for everybody, but works perfectly for me! :)

Rachel

I'm starting from SJPP the same day as you this year, and I'll have two long-sleeved Icebreaker shirts with me (200 weight), and an Icebreaker t-shirt with me (150 weight), same as last year when I walked in the summer. I love the way they keep me cool when it's hot, and warm when it's cool, and the long sleeves are perfect sun protection. Not for everybody, but works perfectly for me! :)

Rachel

Oh Cool! Where do you suggest staying in SJPP? Any advice on which rain coat/jacket to get? Am scrambling to put my gear together.

Also, definitely doing Icebreaker Shirts 2X short sleeve 1X long sleeve.

Which brand/model of sock do you recommend for july/Aug?

Scott

I say definitely throw a long sleeve one in your pack.
I start off again on the CF again next week. I'm bringing three synthetic tech shirts with me. Two short sleeve ones, and one long sleeve. I'm also bringing a lightweight fleece pullover.

Can u recommend a rain coat?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@ScottRD many of us (including me) like the Altus. Available at SJPDP. Like a raincoat but shaped to go over the top of a pack. Cost is about 45 euros. poncho-altus-atmospheric-deportesnomadas.jpg

As Kanga said Altus is a very popular coat/poncho! In SJPdP you can get one at the Boutique du Pelerin. Jean Jacques the owner has walked the trails and speaks English. Here is their web.
Perhaps you might contact/email him to reserve your size.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Oh Cool! Where do you suggest staying in SJPP? Any advice on which rain coat/jacket to get? Am scrambling to put my gear together.

Also, definitely doing Icebreaker Shirts 2X short sleeve 1X long sleeve.

Which brand/model of sock do you recommend for july/Aug?

Scott

First off, as others have said, my rain gear is my Altus rain jacket/poncho. I bought it before my first Camino (I had it shipped from Spain because I wanted to make sure I'd have it in time, but last year I helped a new Camino friend buy one from the shop in SJPP the night before we started walking), and it's been worth its weight in gold over the last 6 years.

For light rain and as a windbreaker, and for walking on chilly mornings, for the first four times I had a jacket I'd bought in Leon on my first Camino -- I went the first time in September-October, with just a fleece jacket and my Altus, and I found it quite chilly in the evenings and early mornings, so I bought the jacket as an extra layer and it was perfect. But last November I threw it away because the inner waterproofing coating had unfortunately rotted and peeled away over time. I just bought a lightweight 100% nylon windbreaker to replace it. It's an experiment for this year, I'll see how it goes! (I think it might not do for rain at all but I suspect it will be great as an extra barrier for warmth against the wind, especially in the mountains and by the ocean).

As for socks, I wore Smartwool PhD Outdoor Crew socks the first three times I walked They were comfy and great but not perfect (I have narrow feet and the socks were always a touch wide at the toe; people's feet are individual!). Then last year I had three brands of socks I'd discovered in the three years since I'd last walked in 2012. They were all beautiful and they're coming with me again this year: Bridgedale, Nord Blanc, and Asolo.

Here's a link to the Bridgedale socks http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/brid...ion-cuped-trekker-sock-b2612194?id_colour=161

And you can see the Nord Blanc socks and Asolos in the photo, with their packaging (I bought new ones for this year a couple of days ago).

DSC01888 (903 x 1204) - Copy.jpg

They're all beautifully cushy yet keep my feet relatively cool, mostly merino wool. I like having all of them because I choose between them depending on the terrain and weather and temperature each day.

In SJPP I've stayed in three albergues, the first year (2010) was at L'Esprit du Chemin, which is now called Beilari. In 2011 and 2015 I stayed at the municipal albergue. And in 2012 I stayed at Le Chemin vers l'Etoile because the municipal albergue was already full when I arrived in SJPP. All three of them were wonderful, and I'm sure there are several other great places there that I haven't had the pleasure of staying in yet.

I hope that touches on most or all of what you were asking. Keep asking if there's more you'd like to know, but also do keep in mind that it's not worth getting too stressed over buying "just the right things" before you leave home. A lot of these things are sort of hit and miss, and you can't know how something will work until you get there. I've made a few mis-buys along the way (but was thankfully able to pass them along to other people for whom they worked great). Live and learn!

Oh, and if you like, you can have a look at this video I made after my 2011 Camino. :) You'll see a lot of what I'll be wearing this year, and what other pilgrims choose to wear too (keeping in mind that it spans September and October so some of the heavier-weight clothing and layering towards the end of the video won't be necessary when you go).

Rachel :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can u recommend a rain coat?
I carried and used a Columbia brand, breathable, packable rain jacket. It worked well for me and and one advantage I found with the rain jacket was it can be used for double duty as a jacket worn over my fleece pullover for warmth if it get's cooler. The times I was rained on during the summer on the Camino I never worried about my legs getting wet and just wore my tech shorts. No rain pants. Same with the shoes. If they get wet, they get wet. Not that big a deal when it is warm outside. I'm more concerned about the stuff in my pack getting wet and kept everything in trash bags in my pack as well as a waterproof pack cover.

Thanks so much rachel! My Main reason for stress is that i'm a super odd size (6 foot 4 with size 15 feet) - so its impossible tio buy things on the go - or even in stores here in the USA. I have to order everythign online :(

Hi Everyone,

Just booked my tickets and very excited to be walking the first section of the Camino Frances (I have three 3weeks and am starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port and will just see where I end up).

I start on July 24th and have to return Mid Aug. Let me just preface everything that follows with the fact that i've never done anything like this before in my life and am not familiar with any of this stuff so please forgive my silly questions.

Anyways, I'm fairly tall (6 foot 4) and an odd size 38 waist and size 15 feet! and NOTHING ever fits me in stores so buying clothing etc is very stressful for me as it's a game of "find what you can online and GUESS if it works"

So now i'm trying to get my gear together. Please help with suggestions on certain brands or materials. I have already read many of the pack lists, just trying to figure out best options within that.

SHOES: Already decided Merrell is my only option for shoes (size 15). They make several models of shoe - anyone suggest anything? I know not to get gortex. ut i see that have several lines of shoe.

SHORTS - have been thinking about doing running/gym pants - but since i've never been a runner or a gym guy or hiker, not sure if it's better to get the ones that have the "mesh support" built in (BTW - are you supposed to wear underpants with these??) or just get regular shorts? Sorry i know, but i've never worn "tech" clothes in my life.

Guys? Do you get the pants with the built in mesh and go commando or just regular shorts without the mesh "cradle"?

I tend to get some chafing in the heat so all suggestions are welcome!

PANTS: People suggest getting a pair of long pants for hiking. I've always worn jeans but i know i cant bring those so any suggestions on a very light weight pair that will work well in the heat? Thoughts on convertibles? Not fond of the way they look but never worn them

UNDERPANTS: Smart Wool. 3 pairs. Already Sorted

SOCKS: I already have regular REI merino Crew socks, BUT is there a better sock for Hiking in the heat?

SHIRTS: ICEBREAKER. Already Sorted 2Xshort sleeve, 1X long sleeve.

PACK: Debating between the OSPREY EXOS 38 or Stratos 36: Any opinions? My torso is fairly short for my height and found the OSPREY packs that had a dedicated MEDIUM size to fit the best.

SILK LINER: Any recommendations for brands here? I'm looking at the RAB Travel or the Cocoon Travel Sheet. Open to any suggestions. I will probably cut the side open of whatever I get as I hate being "trapped" in a bag.

FLEECE: Looking to get an ultra light fleece jacket (100 grade)

JACKET OR PONCHO OR BOTH? I also have no jacket or windbreaker. Any recommendations? No idea what would be good in the heat!

Water Bottles: From what i've read 2X 500ML seems the way to go. Not too worried here as I can get a bottle anywhere

That's really all i need help with for now. I know, silly over thinking - but it's heard when i can't actually try anything on in a store so hoping to hone in quick and buy some options, returning what doesn't work.

Please help! Leaving soon and i have to order all this stuff and test!

Thanks!

6' 4"? Good luck with the beds mate!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
... The times I was rained on during the summer on the Camino I never worried about my legs getting wet and just wore my tech shorts. No rain pants. Same with the shoes. If they get wet, they get wet. Not that big a deal when it is warm outside. I'm more concerned about the stuff in my pack getting wet and kept everything in trash bags in my pack as well as a waterproof pack cover.

It's mostly my pack I want to keep dry too (and my camera). Before I walked my first Camino a woman who'd already walked went to an outdoor shop with me and showed me around for about 45 minutes, pointing out useful gear she'd had with her. One of the best tips she gave me was to buy a waterproof pack liner. I've appreciated it so much over the past few years, I wouldn't want to be without it! Between it and my poncho I know I'm covered.

ScottRD, I'm reminded of being at the municipal albergue in Astorga in 2010 with two German guys, each about 6 foot 2, who kept bumping their heads on the ceiling of the albergue laundry room that afternoon. "We're too tall for Spain!" they exclaimed, and everyone burst out laughing. :D

I feel for you, it must be a challenge to buy things sight unseen and not be able to be try them on first. I guess it's especially a time for you to connect with your instinct and intuition!

There are some advantages of being that tall. My 6'5 son for example only needed to do 35000 steps on a stretch while I did 38000 steps ;).
I also was able to spot him easily from a distance.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
An alternative to waterproof trousers especially if you are walking in shorts is a rain kilt. They are lightweight about 3.0 oz and can be used as a ground sheet for sitting and some have loops in the corners to convert it to a sun shade. Don't forget that it would be possible to make your own. I think that would make a rain kilt the most versatile piece of equipment you could carry.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks guys and girls! Very excited now. Just need hiking pants and a ultra light rain coat. Ugh!

Side note - Anuy suggestions on where to stay in saint jean pied de port? I should prob book my first night there in advance so i'm not worried about it when i arrive.

Thanks guys and girls! Very excited now. Just need hiking pants and a ultra light rain coat. Ugh!

Side note - Anuy suggestions on where to stay in saint jean pied de port? I should prob book my first night there in advance so i'm not worried about it when i arrive.

Quoting from part of my long post from above (so you might have missed it)...

"In SJPP I've stayed in three albergues, the first year (2010) was at L'Esprit du Chemin, which is now called Beilari. In 2011 and 2015 I stayed at the municipal albergue. And in 2012 I stayed at Le Chemin vers l'Etoile because the municipal albergue was already full when I arrived in SJPP. All three of them were wonderful, and I'm sure there are several other great places there that I haven't had the pleasure of staying in yet."

Not possible to pre-book at the municipal albergue, but you could try Beilari or Le Chemin vers l'Etoile if that will give you peace of mind. They both have websites and/or Facebook pages.

Only two more things to get?! Yay! You're almost done!

Well... two more "big ticket" items to get but still need to get a bunch of little things. Ugh. So excited but nervous.

Can't decide between 2 pairs of shoes I have sitting in my room. Merrell Moab Ventilators or Merrell Moab FST. Ugh the dilemmas of knowing i can NEVER buy a pair of shoes once i leave. Frigging scarey.

Just emailed Beilari asking for a reservation. Should be good! Are you also leaving the 24th? Staying at Orrison?

Well... two more "big ticket" items to get but still need to get a bunch of little things. Ugh. So excited but nervous.

Can't decide between 2 pairs of shoes I have sitting in my room. Merrell Moab Ventilators or Merrell Moab FST. Ugh the dilemmas of knowing i can NEVER buy a pair of shoes once i leave. Frigging scarey.

Just emailed Beilari asking for a reservation. Should be good! Are you also leaving the 24th? Staying at Orrison?

I was guessing it was two big ticket items and perhaps other little things still to buy, I was just hinting at the possibility of shifting "Ugh" into "Wheeeeee!" :D ;)

Never say never about the Camino (especially NEVER)... Camino magic happens!

If you're too freaked out and worried, take both, and either carry both, or mail one pair ahead to yourself to a post office along the way (for example Estella or Santo Domingo).

But that probably is not even close to necessary! :)

In fact, if you happen to have two possible contenders for Camino shoes, either of which could conceivably work for you, that's pretty dang cool. Try them on, walk around in them, again, and again, hold them, let them speak to you (I think it's hilarious and perfect that someone with the forum name ShoeWhisperer (hi!) checked in on this thread because that's exactly what I was thinking, haha!); your intuition can help you to decide, that and your feet.

I've gone with the wrong shoes before. In 2011 I bought a pair of Salomon Whisper shoes with the pull-cord lacing system. I trained in them for a couple of months, regular walks of at least 8-10km. They were great! Or so I thought until I got to Hungary for my 3-week pre-Camino hiking trip and got several blisters the first day I walked in them there, 16km. I hadn't been on hilly terrain through the forest with them when I trained, and didn't know the lacing system wouldn't stay secure enough for my ankles and feet not to move around too much in the shoes. I was so annoyed! But thankfully I also had my Adidas running shoes with me, which were a little used but fit like perfection. I switched over to my Adidas, left the Salomons in Hungary (didn't want to carry them or pay to send them back to Canada, I knew I'd never wear them again). And happily walked on. (I've worn Adidas for all my Caminos, they're the only shoe I've found that fits my feet properly.) The Salomons were one of the mis-buys I referred to in a previous post.

Also in 2011 I met a guy from the United States who was very tall, and had flat feet (that were size extra large to match his height). His feet were a mess when I met him in Tosantos. He had horrible blisters and his boots were not working for him at all - he'd cut the ends off them if I remember correctly, in order to try and make it easier for his feet to fit into them. Either which way, there was no way he could walk into a shop in Spain and have a hope of buying shoes big enough to fit him (same size as you, I think). His dad ended up bringing him a replacement pair when he flew across to Spain to meet him some days later. So that's one example of a possible solution. Not to say that would be the case for you this time, but I've seen people walk in sandals, Crocs, and even flip-flops. Where there's a will, there's a way!

Best case scenario, one or both of those pairs you have now will fit you just fine, and be great for the time you spend walking. :)

As for the rest, this is quite long so I've sent you a private message on here. Check your conversations alerts and see if you can find it.

No worries!

Rachel

Need more help guys!

I'm slowly converting all my T-Shirts & underwear to Icebreaker merino wool. I own a few cool lite t shirts, and long sleeve icebreakers too...and although expensive, I think they are fantastic and totally worth it. They keep you cool in the heat and warm in the cold. They dry super fast too. I'll never wear cotton again on long hikes.

Oops...just read that you left on the 24th already....Bien Camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back