• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer

Pancho

Peregrino 2018
Time of past OR future Camino
I’m starting the Camino France in Pamplona September 4, 2018. Anyone out there on a first time Camino , like me, seeking a walking partner?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Being married, my wife and I spent a couple of years walking each holiday a section from Holland (where we live) to St. Jean.

Then, in 2011, decided to walk from St. Jean to Santiago on my own. This proved to be the best decision we could have made. The experience of walking on my own versus walking together with my wife proved to be very different. When walking together we used to always meet people as a couple. And when taking a break, going out for dinner, looking for a place to sleep, we never had to bother about connecting to other people: we had each other.

Walking the Frances on my own made me open up to other people much more than I would have walking it together with my wife. On this Camino a group of people were formed in a kind of natural way: just a number of people walking on their own, but meeting each other regularly, because we had a similar pace of walking. So we kept bumping in to each other, without actually walking together for more than a couple of miles. But, we became friends and are now meeting each other annualy for a kind of Camino reunion, each time in a different place (where one of us lives). This group of friends comes from different countries: England, Ireland, France, Spain, Rumania, Australia, Italy, Holland. I doubt if something like this would have happened if I would have walked it together with my wife.

My wife was supposed to walk the Frances in 2014, also on her own, but she got cold feet about it, only speaking one foreign language (English) poorly. So we decided I would walk the Frances again, joining her for as long she wanted. I spent 5 days walking together with her, teaching her how to find an ATM, how to order her favourite coffee or check into an albergue. On the 5th day she made it clear to me that she felt confident enough to continue on her own. So we parted ways, each of us walking our own camino, in our own pace. So we walked the Frances seperately, joining each other shortly before Santiago, to walk the last two stages, finishing the Camino as we started it: together.

My wife really enjoyed walking on her own, grasping the full Camino experience. And so did I.

So don't feel worried about walking on your own. There will be plenty of people like you. If you are willing to open up to other people, your Camino might have some special, meaningful encounters in store for you.

On my first Camino, in the group of people that kept bumping into each other every couple of days, was an Irish man that had a great idea: he suggested to go to the local church (or cathedral, in the bigger towns) at 6 p.m. to see who would also turn up. This actually worked. One day I walked into a town, and would really like to join up with one of the people I had met before. Went to the church at 6 p.m. finding 5 fellow pilgrims also waiting. Found out that this idea from the Irish man had been adopted by the people he met. This way the group of people meeting at churches at 6 p.m. grew and grew.

I'm sorry for the length of my story. I don't mean to bother you with it. I only hope that you'll feel more confident about walking it 'on your own' and that you'll have a wonderful experience.

Enjoy it!!!

Better to decide who you want to walk with while on the trail. You can get a sense of their pace and, more importantly, if you are compatible. Feeling compelled to walk with someone you don't like absolutely will ruin your experience.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And, that being said, I urge you to try just walking on your own to begin with. More intimate experience with your surroundings AND much easier to get a bed in the albergue if you're just looking for one.

Last edited:
Being married, my wife and I spent a couple of years walking each holiday a section from Holland (where we live) to St. Jean.

Then, in 2011, decided to walk from St. Jean to Santiago on my own. This proved to be the best decision we could have made. The experience of walking on my own versus walking together with my wife proved to be very different. When walking together we used to always meet people as a couple. And when taking a break, going out for dinner, looking for a place to sleep, we never had to bother about connecting to other people: we had each other.

Walking the Frances on my own made me open up to other people much more than I would have walking it together with my wife. On this Camino a group of people were formed in a kind of natural way: just a number of people walking on their own, but meeting each other regularly, because we had a similar pace of walking. So we kept bumping in to each other, without actually walking together for more than a couple of miles. But, we became friends and are now meeting each other annualy for a kind of Camino reunion, each time in a different place (where one of us lives). This group of friends comes from different countries: England, Ireland, France, Spain, Rumania, Australia, Italy, Holland. I doubt if something like this would have happened if I would have walked it together with my wife.

My wife was supposed to walk the Frances in 2014, also on her own, but she got cold feet about it, only speaking one foreign language (English) poorly. So we decided I would walk the Frances again, joining her for as long she wanted. I spent 5 days walking together with her, teaching her how to find an ATM, how to order her favourite coffee or check into an albergue. On the 5th day she made it clear to me that she felt confident enough to continue on her own. So we parted ways, each of us walking our own camino, in our own pace. So we walked the Frances seperately, joining each other shortly before Santiago, to walk the last two stages, finishing the Camino as we started it: together.

My wife really enjoyed walking on her own, grasping the full Camino experience. And so did I.

So don't feel worried about walking on your own. There will be plenty of people like you. If you are willing to open up to other people, your Camino might have some special, meaningful encounters in store for you.

On my first Camino, in the group of people that kept bumping into each other every couple of days, was an Irish man that had a great idea: he suggested to go to the local church (or cathedral, in the bigger towns) at 6 p.m. to see who would also turn up. This actually worked. One day I walked into a town, and would really like to join up with one of the people I had met before. Went to the church at 6 p.m. finding 5 fellow pilgrims also waiting. Found out that this idea from the Irish man had been adopted by the people he met. This way the group of people meeting at churches at 6 p.m. grew and grew.

I'm sorry for the length of my story. I don't mean to bother you with it. I only hope that you'll feel more confident about walking it 'on your own' and that you'll have a wonderful experience.

Enjoy it!!!
Thank you Sir

Enjoy it!!!
So warmed up now after I read your message! I

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Mira (?),

Never thought to get a reply to a post of last year. Hope my story (and those of other forum members) will inspire you to 'go take a walk'. ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.