• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer

Sarah1111

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone, I'm Sarah, 37, leaving my very stressful job at the end of August to reassess my life! I would love to do the camino frances in mid September. Any advice? Do you think it's realistic /advisable with covid situation? I am worried re distance as haven't been training. I plan to take it easy the first week and build up to 20-25km days. I am.very flexible on time as won't be rushing back to work or anything but I will need to be very strict with budget.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you start with short (10 -15km) days you can walk your way into shape. Just increase your distance gradually as you grow more confident.

Sorry...I would hesitate to guess what the Covid-19 situation will be in Spain a few months from now.

Good luck and I hope you are able to walk in September.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you’re on a very tight budget perhaps wait, save, plan, train, and go later. No one knows what the covid situation will be, but it’s potential to increase costs should be noted: less albergues open mean you may need to stay in hotels. $. Potential for you to catch covid, even fully vaccinated now that delta is going around, could mean two weeks isolation in hotel with room service. $$ Potential to need to pay for medical care, hospitalization, and medical evacuation home. $$$$$ 😱. Need to buy equipment and tickets last minute $$$. Potential for cancelled flight (probably pretty slim) meaning more hotel costs $

the physical getting ready you can easily do, but the potential for bills that could be difficult for you can’t be ignored. Consider using the next few months to plan, save, and dream while seeing where COVID variants are going. If you press anyway Buen Camino!

If you’re on a very tight budget perhaps wait, save, plan, train, and go later. No one knows what the covid situation will be, but it’s potential to increase costs should be noted: less albergues open mean you may need to stay in hotels. $. Potential for you to catch covid, even fully vaccinated now that delta is going around, could mean two weeks isolation in hotel with room service. $$ Potential to need to pay for medical care, hospitalization, and medical evacuation home. $$$$$ 😱. Need to buy equipment and tickets last minute $$$. Potential for cancelled flight (probably pretty slim) meaning more hotel costs $

the physical getting ready you can easily do, but the potential for bills that could be difficult for you can’t be ignored. Consider using the next few months to plan, save, and dream while seeing where COVID variants are going. If you press anyway Buen Camino!
I see you’re from Ireland so at least that decreases the medical cost for hospitalization or medical care. Cost for medical evacuation remains but would be less than getting to the US or Australia

Sarah… this is a great personal trek. One that can change you or settle you. I would suggest if you are not in walking shape to start your Camino in Roncelleves or Pamplona. The Camino is about you, your journey, and what you hope to get out of it. From my experience… you will meet a lot of kind, listening mentors. People with wisdom and great listening skills. Be open, share your life and dreams. Be open to voices. Pray if that fits with you. I wish you
well, be safe, and hope to see you there. I should be in Leon on Sept 10/12, if our paths should cross. Peace be with you and Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everyone, I'm Sarah, 37, leaving my very stressful job at the end of August to reassess my life! I would love to do the camino frances in mid September. Any advice? Do you think it's realistic /advisable with covid situation? I am worried re distance as haven't been training. I plan to take it easy the first week and build up to 20-25km days. I am.very flexible on time as won't be rushing back to work or anything but I will need to be very strict with budget.
Hi Sarah1111,
My first Camino was from SJPdP to Santiago at the ripe age of 50. I completed in 34 days without much training before I set out. Bonus, I lost 20 pounds. I’m not saying it was all easy but if I can make it up and over the Pyrenees on day one, surely you’re up for the challenge.
I know planning and waiting can consume every cell in your brain. Try not to over think it. The Camino provides.
I’ll echo the others where COVID is concerned. Who knows. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Buen Camino!! 👣

Your Camino has already begun. Deciding to go is the pivotal moment, the only thing left is to pick a day. Given that your travel distance is short 'n easy, you have time here. The concerns others have brought up concerning covid costing you more money potentially are very valid. You have time. Start by walking near home, slowly at first. Gradually build up your distances, and buy yourself a pack. Start planning your stages, and research all the million questions you will have on the forum. You have time. When the covid situation looks a little clearer, and the waiting is killing you, buy a plane ticket.

Buen Camino

I just booked my flight today for mid September for my first Camino. I'm a little apprehensive, of course, too.
"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal".
If I'm unable to finish for whatever reason, I'll still have been there. I'm in reasonable shape and am working on getting my feet in shape. Blisters are my biggest 'fear' and each day gets better as I spend more time in my boots.
Maybe I'll see you out there. I'm thrilled for the opportunity. 💚

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you start with short (10 -15km) days you can walk your way into shape. Just increase your distance gradually as you grow more confident.

Sorry...I would hesitate to guess what the Covid-19 situation will be in Spain a few months from now.

Good luck and I hope you are able to walk in September.
Hi there, thanks for the advice that sounds very achievable! I had been very fit up to December last year but damaged a tendon. Its healed now but I need to start building my fitness from scratch. I started with my first 1 hour walk last night and slept great :)

Yes this is definitely a strong consideration! As i will not be working I need to be very careful with not wasting any money. Maybe i can do some long walks/ adventures in Ireland first for a couple of months. I do have a strong urge to jump on a plane and experience the real camino but I will need to consider this logically and carefully. I am doubly vaccinated but delta is a concern

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sarah… this is a great personal trek. One that can change you or settle you. I would suggest if you are not in walking shape to start your Camino in Roncelleves or Pamplona. The Camino is about you, your journey, and what you hope to get out of it. From my experience… you will meet a lot of kind, listening mentors. People with wisdom and great listening skills. Be open, share your life and dreams. Be open to voices. Pray if that fits with you. I wish you
well, be safe, and hope to see you there. I should be in Leon on Sept 10/12, if our paths should cross. Peace be with you and Buen Camino
Hi Jim, thanks for the response. Yes that is definitely a consideration- leaving out the pyrrenees start and that is definitely an option if I felt I could not reach a fitness level. That rest sounds exactly like what I need listening, being open and meeting great people! im getting excited for whenever it may be. If i make it in September i will let you know

I just booked my flight today for mid September for my first Camino. I'm a little apprehensive, of course, too.
"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal".
If I'm unable to finish for whatever reason, I'll still have been there. I'm in reasonable shape and am working on getting my feet in shape. Blisters are my biggest 'fear' and each day gets better as I spend more time in my boots.
Maybe I'll see you out there. I'm thrilled for the opportunity. 💚
Yes me too getting excited even to start planning!

Hi Sarah1111,
My first Camino was from SJPdP to Santiago at the ripe age of 50. I completed in 34 days without much training before I set out. Bonus, I lost 20 pounds. I’m not saying it was all easy but if I can make it up and over the Pyrenees on day one, surely you’re up for the challenge.
I know planning and waiting can consume every cell in your brain. Try not to over think it. The Camino provides.
I’ll echo the others where COVID is concerned. Who knows. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Buen Camino!! 👣
Thanks for the inspiration!! That is good to hear. I am definitely not going to overthink it

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Your Camino has already begun. Deciding to go is the pivotal moment, the only thing left is to pick a day. Given that your travel distance is short 'n easy, you have time here. The concerns others have brought up concerning covid costing you more money potentially are very valid. You have time. Start by walking near home, slowly at first. Gradually build up your distances, and buy yourself a pack. Start planning your stages, and research all the million questions you will have on the forum. You have time. When the covid situation looks a little clearer, and the waiting is killing you, buy a plane ticket.

Buen Camino
Ive bought the plane ticket a week ago :) :) :) - but luckily it was only €35 so it doesn't matter if i have to change the date or buy a new one. That is the great thing that i am in Europe and close by and have my EU health insurance card. I would have about 8 weeks to train based on today so lets see how the research goes and the covid situation. Thanks for reply!

Hi Sarah
I’m leaving London on the 5th August. Walking from SLPdP on my own and a first timer too. Nervous but so excited to be finally going. I’ve done some moderate training and I’ve booked my accommodation for the first three days so I know my distance and hopefully will be able to gauge my capabilities too.
Good luck

Hello Sarah,
My advice, from a town on the Meseta in the middle of the Camino, and living in a albergue here among pilgrims for almost three years, including every day since the beginning of the Covid, is not to be afraid.
There have been no known cases among pilgrims or in albergues in the last 17 months. Only once in Galicia, a group of 12 and all were cured without problems, they were infected by a pilgrim from Madrid from their group.
It seems that the government of Spain has closed more than 9,000 hospital places this summer, which suggests that no big problems are expected.
Use common sense, take logical measures, simply logical, analyze situations and information, do not get carried away by the general panic that exists in Spain, and enjoy your Camino de Santiago. Everything is well controlled, and if there is a healthy place in Spain, this is the Camino de Santiago, all those who do it are healthy people to the maximum, and the air and food are also very healthy.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes this is definitely a strong consideration! As i will not be working I need to be very careful with not wasting any money. Maybe i can do some long walks/ adventures in Ireland first for a couple of months. I do have a strong urge to jump on a plane and experience the real camino but I will need to consider this logically and carefully. I am doubly vaccinated but delta is a concern
I felt the same way.. “ a strong urge to jump on a plane…” so when I saw a plane ticket for $230 one way, I jumped on it. I had a one way plane ticket from the US to Madrid leaving July 21, but with all the Covid developments, I chose to postpone until next spring. I lost $230 that it cost me but did not break the bank. I also didn’t train, and am on a strict budget and am solo so navigating all the unpredictable logistics seemed overwhelming especially since I only allotted 2 weeks walking because of work. So here I am at home. I feel a combo of relief and regret. It certainly is an easier choice physically to postpone and plan more carefully for walking early next June. For now, I am reading this forum daily and enjoying a great book about a woman and her father walking the Camino. I wish you the best in your decision making. Burn Camino

Looking at the posts you have already received a great deal of very wise advice. My 6 pence worth would be skip Roncevalles and the Pyranees and start in Pamplona. The 10 days to Burgos are physically demanding but not outrageously so -it will break you in gently. I live in Spain and I can tell you that the current Covid situation in the north is very bad. If you can put your trip off until next year I think that it would be easier. However if you do go - buen camino - the Camino is an incredible experience where you can meet yourself and really clear your head. One of the great experiences however is the interaction you can enjoy with other peregrinos, and there will be more next year than now.

I think someone posted a while ago about “the shortest Camino” in England and I’m sure there are plenty of walks associated with Catholic shrines in Ireland.

when I first heard about the Camino it was winter, I had a few months before my plan to start as early in spring as I thought the Napoleon would reliably be open (early April). The planning and anticipation was also fun

Wherever and whenever you go, Buen Camino

[Edited by moderator to remove reference to moderation, and statements about vaccine and transmissibility.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sarah one more thought for if you do delay—there are many in England and Ireland who have walked and/or plan to again. You could probably meet up with some of them for training walks, for meals to share plans and stories, etc. people who’ve walked love to reminisce (as this site proves) and share tips and it helps make the waiting time fly. Before I went someone on here (@Arn i recall) invited me to a gathering in VA. It made me even more excited about my upcoming trip (and I won the prize for next person after the dinner to start 🙂)

For the third time I think it’s a good alternative plan

Ive bought the plane ticket a week ago :) :) :) - but luckily it was only €35 so it doesn't matter if i have to change the date or buy a new one. That is the great thing that i am in Europe and close by and have my EU health insurance card. I would have about 8 weeks to train based on today so lets see how the research goes and the covid situation. Thanks for reply!
Sarah (or anyone else) - do you fly to Biarritz and then take the train to SJPdP ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sarah one more thought for if you do delay—there are many in England and Ireland who have walked and/or plan to again. You could probably meet up with some of them for training walks, for meals to share plans and stories, etc. people who’ve walked love to reminisce (as this site proves) and share tips and it helps make the waiting time fly. Before I went someone on here (@Arn i recall) invited me to a gathering in VA. It made me even more excited about my upcoming trip (and I won the prize for next person after the dinner to start 🙂)
That's a great idea. My dad walked it 10 years ago and I have had some really nice chats about his experience recently. He has been sending me his previous packing lists etc im really enjoying reading this blog aswell.

Looking at the posts you have already received a great deal of very wise advice. My 6 pence worth would be skip Roncevalles and the Pyranees and start in Pamplona. The 10 days to Burgos are physically demanding but not outrageously so -it will break you in gently. I live in Spain and I can tell you that the current Covid situation in the north is very bad. If you can put your trip off until next year I think that it would be easier. However if you do go - buen camino - the Camino is an incredible experience where you can meet yourself and really clear your head. One of the great experiences however is the interaction you can enjoy with other peregrinos, and there will be more next year than now.
Thankyou I will look into starting from pamplona. Thanks for update re covid on the ground also! Lots to think about if I postpone until next year

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I felt the same way.. “ a strong urge to jump on a plane…” so when I saw a plane ticket for $230 one way, I jumped on it. I had a one way plane ticket from the US to Madrid leaving July 21, but with all the Covid developments, I chose to postpone until next spring. I lost $230 that it cost me but did not break the bank. I also didn’t train, and am on a strict budget and am solo so navigating all the unpredictable logistics seemed overwhelming especially since I only allotted 2 weeks walking because of work. So here I am at home. I feel a combo of relief and regret. It certainly is an easier choice physically to postpone and plan more carefully for walking early next June. For now, I am reading this forum daily and enjoying a great book about a woman and her father walking the Camino. I wish you the best in your decision making. Burn Camino
That was a lot to consider so I can see you would have a mix of regret and relief. Lucky you didn't lose alot of money. Next June will fly im aswell and you will be fitter and more prepped. Could you recommend the book your reading? What's the title ?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello Sarah,
My advice, from a town on the plateau in the middle of the Camino, and living in a albergue here among pilgrims for almost three years, including every day since the beginning of the Covid, is not to be afraid.
There have been no known cases among pilgrims or in albergues in the last 17 months. Only once in Galicia, a group of 12 and all were cured without problems, they were infected by a pilgrim from Madrid from their group.
It seems that the government of Spain has closed more than 9,000 hospital places this summer, which suggests that no big problems are expected.
Use common sense, take logical measures, simply logical, analyze situations and information, do not get carried away by the general panic that exists in Spain, and enjoy your Camino de Santiago. Everything is well controlled, and if there is a healthy place in Spain, this is the Camino de Santiago, all those who do it are healthy people to the maximum, and the air and food are also very healthy.
Thanks gmag for the updates!

Hi Sarah
I’m leaving London on the 5th August. Walking from SLPdP on my own and a first timer too. Nervous but so excited to be finally going. I’ve done some moderate training and I’ve booked my accommodation for the first three days so I know my distance and hopefully will be able to gauge my capabilities too.
Good luck
Thanks Chris. Enjoy every second. Please post how you are getting on. Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Sarah - so you want to reasses your life. You wouldn't believe how many peregrinos I meet on the way are doing the same. So many of them have big decisions to make; should I emigrate, to go to uni or not,change jobs,divorce or stick it out..........Yes, they walk the Camino and take a month out of the 'real' world to think out their problems.
Maybe it's because I'm a harmless old bloke but so many young people in particular want to use you as a sounding box openly sharing concerns they wouldn't mention to their friends,family,colleagues .........
August is the month for young pilgrims. They've got a different outlook on life. Oh , and yes, they make you feel old.

Sarah (or anyone else) - do you fly to Biarritz and then take the train to SJPdP ?
Bananarama, go to
www.rome2rio.com
Enter the point of origin and the point of destination, and you will have all the connection possibilities between any two points in the world, with timetables and prices, it is updated and very very reliable.

Sarah, walk at your own pace and pay attention to your body especially your feet. If you feel any possible soreness stop. Remove your shoes and socks and rest your feet. Let them air out and apply paper tape over any possible sore spots to prevent any further irritation. I have used this method on both of my Camino Frances and had no issues. Also, don’t feel pressure to stay at suggested towns or villages, but rather where you feel like. You will have a wonderful and enriching experience. There will be moments that you are feeling overwhelmed by the path you are on but this feeling will pass and each step will come easier. I will walk the Camino Frances again some day but for now I am planning on walking the Portuguese Camino June of 2022. Buen Camino!!

€149,-
Sarah, I envy you not having to have to be back home anytime soon. With that said. I would say don't push yourself too hard. Stop and smell the roses. I was on a time constraint and had to be back to work so I walked 7am to 5pm almost everyday. I wish I was able to stop earlier like at 1 or 2 and enjoy the albergues a little more and the surrounding areas. As it turned out. I was so tired by the end of the day I just ate, took a shower and went to bed. then repeated. Good luck. You may not have a chance like this again so savour it.

Hello Sarah!
I left My very Stressful job just a few weeks ago and I took a ferry From Rosslare To Bilbao and doing my first Camino Frances. Not much training before coming here but hiking before and walking at least last few weekends 5-8km.
The budget for a day it's 25-40€ a day. It's depends if you are staying in albuergue or private rooms, if you drink/eat in pubs/restaurants or you shopping in local shops etc.. Anyway, my tenth day of walking and I feel better than ever! Body and mind are slowly but surely recovering from all that stressful time in work.

Hope you get here and enjoy yourself! Buen Camino!

Yes that's what I was advised. I've just booked the flight to Biarritz at this stage though. Haven't got to the train part
Hi, I too flew to Biarritz twice. The first time I hopped in a taxi just outside the airport to get me to the Bayonne train station. It’s not far from the airport. The second time I walked to the bus stop just outside the airport and took the bus to Bayonne train station. Purchased my train ticket then off I went to SJPdP with all the other eager and excited pilgrims. Moments to cherish. ☺️

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's a great idea. My dad walked it 10 years ago and I have had some really nice chats about his experience recently. He has been sending me his previous packing lists etc im really enjoying reading this blog aswell.
You should ask him to show you pictures of his favorite spots (preferably with him in the picture). When you walk, get some in those places with you in the picture and send them to him as a surprise.

I am worried re distance as haven't been training.

Just another consideration:
For a person in good health, one can start slowly with reduced walking distances per day while on Camino and work toward getting in shape as the weeks progress. However, pre-training to get your body in distance walking shape PRIOR to Camino has a huge benefit: you are able to spend your time from the very first hour as a pilgrim engaged in the pleasure of walking and focusing on your interaction with the Camino, rather than focusing on how you feel and your fatigue and your discomfort from muscles and ligaments getting used to a new activity.

I do not really want to waste the time it takes to transition past the point of being unfit and struggling.

That was a lot to consider so I can see you would have a mix of regret and relief. Lucky you didn't lose alot of money. Next June will fly im aswell and you will be fitter and more prepped. Could you recommend the book your reading? What's the title ?
I got it from my local library.. it’s called “leaving behind the place where I’m going” by Kristin Sunday.. it may be self-published as I don’t see a name

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Sarah!
I left My very Stressful job just a few weeks ago and I took a ferry From Rosslare To Bilbao and doing my first Camino Frances. Not much training before coming here but hiking before and walking at least last few weekends 5-8km.
The budget for a day it's 25-40€ a day. It's depends if you are staying in albuergue or private rooms, if you drink/eat in pubs/restaurants or you shopping in local shops etc.. Anyway, my tenth day of walking and I feel better than ever! Body and mind are slowly but surely recovering from all that stressful time in work.

Hope you get here and enjoy yourself! Buen Camino!
I'm flying in to Bilbao. If you have a minute, please share your experience getting to Saint Jean.
Thanks!

Yes that's what I was advised. I've just booked the flight to Biarritz at this stage though. Haven't got to the train part
Awesome, you're going to love it! My two pence: take it easy on the first week, and keep a close eye on your feet, the second you see the possibility of a blister, add a pea-size amount of Bepanthen to the area (lubrication), and cover it with a makeup cotton pad (protection and cushioning).

Hi @Sarah1111 welcome to the forum and the Camino. Feel free to message me directly if you have any questions, i live in Dublin and have flown from there and started in different places in Spain. Check out the Camino Society too for info and advice (you can get an Irish credential from them too!) . If you do decide to do some walking in Ireland before Spain check out St Declan's Way in Tipp/Waterford - can't wait to that myself! Buen camino, S

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum.......

Lot's of good advice listed above.

Ultreia!

To the Smallest Sparrow, fly to Birritz, bus to
Barrone and train to SJPDP. I agree with your comments regarding the unexpected expenses being in Covid times however my first Camino was cut short after 7 days due to injury and travel back to Canada being forced into a wheelchair was devastating and very costly. So anything could happen or the journey could be quite smooth. Sarah 1111 - just know no money is wasted! It will all be part of your Camino story and trust me, the ‘Camino is your friend - it will look after you’! My return trip after 18 months of healing was September 2019 and in normal times, it tends to be the busiest month. It was beautiful- little rain, cool nights for sleeping and stunning scenery. After Sarria, reservations are recommended as many do the last 100 km ONLY and with potentially fewer albergues, Covid may exacerbate that fact. Be safe, buen Camino and enjoy every single step!!
NancyLee 🇨🇦

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Forgive the (obvious) simple observations- take care of the knowns before you go! Second you CAN accommodate the known ‘unknowns’ ahead of time. The unknown unknowns are confronted en Camino… prayer likely helpful. Boy Scout motto “be prepared”. See you in September, I’m planning my first 7 days now and allowing for jet lag recover. After I get ‘on the trail’ I’ll figure it out as I go and the spirit moves me 😎…. getting fired up as we speak!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.