• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

first timers walking the Ingles in July 2011

mel410

Hello
We are thinking of walking this route in early July. My question is how isolated is this route we only have 8 days to walk and know the obvious route would be from sarria to santiago but we are not keen on the crowds but then also don't know if we want to walk a route where there is nobody else - a bit of a catch 22.
Has anybody walked this recently and if this is an extremely isolated route can anyone recommend a different section.
Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did the Ingles in August 2010. I found it the perfect mix of meeting an occasional person but yet the right amount of "isolation" for myself, which was one of my goals for the pilgrimage -- time for myself.
It is walkable in five days do you certainly have the time to leisurely enjoy it.

Dear Mel,

We are also walking the Camino Ingles in July, it will be our first time, and having received
so much encouragment from other members of this forum, we feel really confident about
walking this route.

We are starting our Camino from Ferrol and will be taking 8 to 9 days for our walk, taking our
time and looking forward to seeing the countryside,and meeting others on the way, after staying in Ferrol before we start, we are going to stay in hotels mainly, our stops will be Fene, Pontedeume,Mino, Betanzos, Meson Vento (2 nights), Deixebre, Siquiro and finally Santiago.

Im sure you will really enjoy your Camino, it is a bit daunting I know, but we are really 'up for it !!!'

Neil & Brenda White

Thanks for the replies. We are really looking forward to our trip although due to unforseen circumstances can only go in september now.
Neil & Brenda hope you have an amazing time please let us know how it went when you get back.
With regards to the isolation comment - we just wanted to avoid the heaving crowds but then didn't want to be the only ones walking this section as we want to meet other pilgrims along the way as i am sure that that is part of the experience.
Kind regards
Mel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In June 2009 I had days when I met just a few pilgrims and other days when I met no one until I got to the albergue.

Numbers are impossible to predict and you might meet no one or you might be in a crowd.

On the Camino Inglés you have to trade off not fighting for a bed with the lack of company.

The last 100km of the Camino Norte might be a better choice if you want more people but not be overwhelmed for the first three days.

Personally, I think you have made your plans; stick with them and as the message in one albergue was read to me in 1998, a peregrino must accept whatever comes their way.

Beun Camino.

Mel--My son and I will be walking the Camino Ingles around mid September, a first camino for both of us. Perhaps we will see you.

Nell and Brenda--Please do post give us a summary of your trip. I, too, want to break the walk down into more days. I had already thought of two days at Meson do Vento, but am interested how your other stages work out. Also comments on your accommodations would be helpful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back