• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First two days

Jim Miller

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, I'm already planning my 2016 trek, probably May 1st for 6 or 7 weeks....I'll be 76 years old. I've been reading about the 1st two day out of SJ, planning to stop at Orisson and then on to Roncesvalles. Is it as bad as it sounds?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's a slow, very steep climb to the top, and a steep descent through rocky, slippery trail.
Some people have no problem.
Many do.

Just cutting off that first 8-9 kilometers and breaking it up into two days makes a HUGE difference, because you are not exhausted when you reach the downhill part.

As far as being 'bad," it can be stunningly beautiful on a sunny or clear day.
But they don't call it "hell day" for nothin'!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, I'm already planning my 2016 trek, probably May 1st for 6 or 7 weeks....I'll be 76 years old. I've been reading about the 1st two day out of SJ, planning to stop at Orisson and then on to Roncesvalles. Is it as bad as it sounds?
Hi Jim , its bad for lots off people but you stay in Orisson that makes a huge difference . But it is beautiful up there.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Like most of the responses to questions like yours, it has to do with fitness. For me at 67? I made a reservation at Orisson and looking back, it was one of the best decisions I made for Camino planning. It's a tough walk on the first day and breaking it into 2 days made it doable and kept me sound for the next 30 days. If I had it to do all over again, I'd make the same decision!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'll be 66 and starting my camino a day or 2 later. I plan on taking 2 days to cross too. Maybe our paths will cross. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As I have said here before, I am a flatlander. For me, a mountain is 20 feet.

As well as I trained, I was not quite prepared for the walk between SJPP and Roncesvalles. So, for me personally, it was worse than I thought it would be.

I would strongly suggest one of two options: 1) Stay overnight in Orisson, or 2) take a taxi and start in Roncesvalles.

What is that old saying? Slow and steady wins the race. Whatever you decide, I wish you a buen camino.

Take your time while walking. Don't take any risks with your health. Drink lots of water. Remember that Spain has taxis and buses too. Stay an extra day along the way if you need to. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take your time while walking. Don't take any risks with your health. Drink lots of water. Remember that Spain has taxis and buses too. Stay an extra day along the way if you need to. Buen Camino.
I'm old (76 when I walk) but also lucky, I can take as long as I want to. I've drawn up a schedule, and it looks like I'll be on a 45 day trek, with at least 3 layovers.
I won't have many 20k days, and average around 17k/day.

I'm 61 and walked SJPP to Roscenvalles on 4 and 5 June 2015 on the Napoleon route, staying at Orisson refuge. It's 8km from SJPP to Orisson, and 600 meters elevation gain. From Orisson to Roscenvalles, it's about twice that distance, and other 600 meter elevation gain to the summit pass, and then a very, very steep 400 meter downhill to Roscenvalles. It will take an average walker 11 hours to go from SJPP to Roscenvalles, the stop at Orisson is highly recommended. Also, you can have your pack shipped ahead from SJPP to Roscenvalles for a small fee. The walk is much much easier with very little or no weight on your back. I had about 15 Kilos in my pack on the walk from SJPP to Orisson, and it was very very difficult, arriving in Orisson completely exhausted. A long hot shower, and a bottle of vin rouge made me feel rejuvenated. I then had the pack shipped to Roscenvalles, and the section after Orrison was much much easier. Only had a water bottle, hat and walking stick. Many thanks to Chris from California, "Umbrella Bob" from Brisbane, and Girard and wife from Montreal for their friendship, support and camaraderie, along with many others that made this part of the journey possible.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
it is tough i always thought that down hill has got to be easier but it not ! so rest in orrison and take the downward walk slow and steady you will be fine !dont over worry about it,,so many people of all ages are in the same boat . enjoy the planning .

Took me 42 days strolling from SJ to Santiago.
I had rest/sightseeing days off in Pamplona, Logrono (wine festival), Burgos, Leon, and somewhere else I've forgotten.
That's about one a week.
Just take it easy. You'll get fitter as you progress.
Buen Camino
Gerard

We are now in Los scrod but stayed in Orrisson and it was lovely. Well worth booking - food fab and so much of it great for energy next day. I wS not that fit and climb out of St Jean hard. Second day to Roncevalles found quite hard but satisfying and just great views . Take your time and enjoy .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jim, as you know I stopped in Orrison - and enjoyed the experience there. It's a really a short jaunt, albeit an uphill one, from St. Jean. There is plenty of time to enjoy passing the small farms and the beautiful views across the valleys. If the weather is clear there is no need for a dawn start - explore SJ, have a leisurely breakfast, and then wander on up. If the weather is bad, or there is any chance it may be, you may want to start earlier, or take the Valcarlos route - check with the Pilgrim office, for sure. Err on the side of safety and don't worry about the prepaid stop in Orrison.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back