• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First two weeks of October 2023

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned
Good morning fellow travelers. A friend of mine from UK recently sent me a note saying October on the Camino Portuguese can be cold and rainy. My dates are October 5th thru October 14th. What is off shoulder season, because I can back up the dates to end of September if necessar.
1). Is this true?
2). Does that mean that waterproof trainers (though not generally recommended) are best during that time of year?
3). If packing light, is a poncho enough with a light weight sweater or does it require heavier rain/warm jackets with waterproof pants?
4). Are there bus/taxi/private drivers around the Camino Portugues that rescue pilgrims who get soaked and cold and drop them off at accommodations?
Please forgive me if these questions have been answered. It’s quite an undertaking for me and I’m abit anxious.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It CAN be cold and rainy or it can be absolutely lovely like it was when I walked it at the end of October 2021! It’s weather, so who knows!!!

My wife and I always walk with trainers/sneakers/tennis shoes/trail runners (take your pick of name) and wool socks - your feet might get wet, but they stay warm and blister-free. I like a rain jacket, but she wears rain pants and a jacket. Not a fan of ponchos, but many are. It was NOT freezing cold and we did fine with layering warmer clothes under waterproof jackets.

I’d keep those dates if they are the best for you. September can be a bit busier, so I enjoyed the less crowded (but still plenty of pilgrims) time in October. It will likely also be harvest time, which adds some local color to the route.

The CP travels through many populated areas and taxis/buses/trains are never very far away. If you have cell service, you can easily call for a taxi or have a bar/cafe call one for you. It’s not like the CF with signs posted wverywhere with taxi numbers, but it’s also less remote so you can ask for assistance from business establishments.

Everyone, including me, wants a reliable weather forecast. Unfortunately, we just aren't that good at meteorology yet. Any camino can be cold and rainy at some point. The trick is to be prepared for rain. Take a poncho or rain jacket. That time of year, you should have some type of fleece jacket to wear underneath since it cools off in the evenings anyway. Does it rain where you live? Try walking in the rain before you go. You will discover, in the words of a fellow pilgrim, that "you're not made of sugar, you're not going to melt". What happens? You get wet. Your feet get wet. You walk to the next town, and either wait for the rain to stop, or if it looks settled in for a few hours, find a place to stay. Taxis are readily available if you want to move ahead to a prebooked accommodation. Rain is not a catastrophe, it's inevitable. Take the right equipment. Test it until you are confident. Step forth boldly. That time of year, you might get lucky and have two weeks of sunny weather. Or you might not. Either way, you will have the experience of a lifetime.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1) My first Camino was the Portuguese in October 2018. I was hoping for cool weather and it was a heatwave with temperatures reaching the mid 30's (around 95F). I learnt how to walk in those temperatures and lost my fear of the heat. But I also got heavy rain in Santiago. There are no guarantees with weather so close to the Atlantic! You will be fine whatever the weather, truly you will.

2) I prefer non waterproof trail runners. I had a day of very heavy rain this autumn on the Camino Frances and everyone's feet were wet! My shoes dried the quickest though, they were never wet the next day. (If you can get hold of some newspaper stuff that in your wet shoes after removing the insoles.)

3) I take a lightweight jacket as a windproof layer. It can be cool first thing in the morning. I am now a convert to ponchos as they are so easy to pop on and off if it's showery. Best to practice with one before you go. I hated it at first until I got the hang of putting it on. When it was very windy I just held it to my belly from the inside.

4) I've not used taxi's but I have had extended breaks in cafes!

Getting anxious is very normal if you are someone who likes to be prepared and you've not done something like this before. You are brave enough to come here and ask some very sensible questions...you will be fine. Ask away and you'll get all sorts of answers then you can decide what might work best for you. Just be wary of packing your fears. Remember too that this isn't a wilderness walk, you will find shops that cater to pilgrims needs in the bigger towns.

Happy planning

It CAN be cold and rainy or it can be absolutely lovely like it was when I walked it at the end of October 2021! It’s weather, so who knows!!!

My wife and I always walk with trainers/sneakers/tennis shoes/trail runners (take your pick of name) and wool socks - your feet might get wet, but they stay warm and blister-free. I like a rain jacket, but she wears rain pants and a jacket. Not a fan of ponchos, but many are. It was NOT freezing cold and we did fine with layering warmer clothes under waterproof jackets.

I’d keep those dates if they are the best for you. September can be a bit busier, so I enjoyed the less crowded (but still plenty of pilgrims) time in October. It will likely also be harvest time, which adds some local color to the route.

The CP travels through many populated areas and taxis/buses/trains are never very far away. If you have cell service, you can easily call for a taxi or have a bar/cafe call one for you. It’s not like the CF with signs posted wverywhere with taxi numbers, but it’s also less remote so you can ask for assistance from business establishments.
Thank you kind sir!

Everyone, including me, wants a reliable weather forecast. Unfortunately, we just aren't that good at meteorology yet. Any camino can be cold and rainy at some point. The trick is to be prepared for rain. Take a poncho or rain jacket. That time of year, you should have some type of fleece jacket to wear underneath since it cools off in the evenings anyway. Does it rain where you live? Try walking in the rain before you go. You will discover, in the words of a fellow pilgrim, that "you're not made of sugar, you're not going to melt". What happens? You get wet. Your feet get wet. You walk to the next town, and either wait for the rain to stop, or if it looks settled in for a few hours, find a place to stay. Taxis are readily available if you want to move ahead to a prebooked accommodation. Rain is not a catastrophe, it's inevitable. Take the right equipment. Test it until you are confident. Step forth boldly. That time of year, you might get lucky and have two weeks of sunny weather. Or you might not. Either way, you will have the experience of a lifetime.
I live in Seattle, I walk in the rain almost 365 days a year! I asked about the weather conditions in early October because I need to pack lightly and we Seattleites have excellent rain jackets with rain pants but they take up a great deal of room in luggage. Oh, and we do have fleece, wool socks and Birkenstocks, lol.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
1) My first Camino was the Portuguese in October 2018. I was hoping for cool weather and it was a heatwave with temperatures reaching the mid 30's (around 95F). I learnt how to walk in those temperatures and lost my fear of the heat. But I also got heavy rain in Santiago. There are no guarantees with weather so close to the Atlantic! You will be fine whatever the weather, truly you will.

2) I prefer non waterproof trail runners. I had a day of very heavy rain this autumn on the Camino Frances and everyone's feet were wet! My shoes dried the quickest though, they were never wet the next day. (If you can get hold of some newspaper stuff that in your wet shoes after removing the insoles.)

3) I take a lightweight jacket as a windproof layer. It can be cool first thing in the morning. I am now a convert to ponchos as they are so easy to pop on and off if it's showery. Best to practice with one before you go. I hated it at first until I got the hang of putting it on. When it was very windy I just held it to my belly from the inside.

4) I've not used taxi's but I have had extended breaks in cafes!

Getting anxious is very normal if you are someone who likes to be prepared and you've not done something like this before. You are brave enough to come here and ask some very sensible questions...you will be fine. Ask away and you'll get all sorts of answers then you can decide what might work best for you. Just be wary of packing your fears. Remember too that this isn't a wilderness walk, you will find shops that cater to pilgrims needs in the bigger towns.

Happy planning
Carol, sending you a huge hug and gratitude for your response and guidance. I really appreciate the kindness and understanding for those of us who are blindly headed out to pursue a dream.

It’s nothing like your Seattle weather - more like walking in Southern Oregon in October. If you are comfortable hiking there in October, the CP will be a breeze.

Good morning fellow travelers. A friend of mine from UK recently sent me a note saying October on the Camino Portuguese can be cold and rainy. My dates are October 5th thru October 14th. What is off shoulder season, because I can back up the dates to end of September if necessar.
1). Is this true?
2). Does that mean that waterproof trainers (though not generally recommended) are best during that time of year?
3). If packing light, is a poncho enough with a light weight sweater or does it require heavier rain/warm jackets with waterproof pants?
4). Are there bus/taxi/private drivers around the Camino Portugues that rescue pilgrims who get soaked and cold and drop them off at accommodations?
Please forgive me if these questions have been answered. It’s quite an undertaking for me and I’m abit anxious.
Hello,

My husband and I did the Camino Portugues (Littoral and then cross over to the central) this past October. October 1st through the 16th. We had great weather! There was one day it sprinkle some in Armenteira- (this was on the Spiritual route) In the mornings, the temperature were in the 50's and the high in the 60's and into the 70's. I think it was warmer than usual but it was very pleasant. There are taxi's if you need them.

We did bring our rain jackets but only wore them the one day. I did bring my rain pants too. They slip on over my regular pants. I did not were them though. Might not take them next time.

For clothes - I do wear layers. Although on this past camino it was warm and it was not necessary. When we did the Camino Frances (Leon to Santiago- 2021), I wore layers, cami, short sleeve, long sleeve, fleece (rain jacket if raining or needed an extra layer).

We are planning on walking another Camino next October. We are not sure which one yet.

Buen Camino and welcome!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It’s nothing like your Seattle weather - more like walking in Southern Oregon in October. If you are comfortable hiking there in October, the CP will be a breeze.
Ohhhhhh…..that is different. Humm,
hummmm….that’s a different story altogether! Medford etc., has RAIN not our Seattle drizzle. I may have to take my heavy rain jacket and forgo a poncho then. I’ll have to check at REI and Patagonia to see if they have a lighter, more packable rain jacket. Thank you kind sir.

Hello,

My husband and I did the Camino Portugues (Littoral and then cross over to the central) this past October. October 1st through the 16th. We had great weather! There was one day it sprinkle some in Armenteira- (this was on the Spiritual route) In the mornings, the temperature were in the 50's and the high in the 60's and into the 70's. I think it was warmer than usual but it was very pleasant. There are taxi's if you need them.

We did bring our rain jackets but only wore them the one day. I did bring my rain pants too. They slip on over my regular pants. I did not were them though. Might not take them next time.

For clothes - I do wear layers. Although on this past camino it was warm and it was not necessary. When we did the Camino Frances (Leon to Santiago- 2021), I wore layers, cami, short sleeve, long sleeve, fleece (rain jacket if raining or needed an extra layer).

We are planning on walking another Camino next October. We are not sure which one yet.

Buen Camino and welcome!
Fabulous reply. Thank you for taking your time to answer. Much appreciate. I really am grateful for the layering information.

1). Is this true?
I think it depends on the year. I walked the Portugues from Porto on October 1-13, 2018. Temperatures were in the 30s (C) the first few days. They did cool down a bit into the second week, but to nice walking weather, not to cold temperatures. The only rain we got was in Galicia, and you can always count on rain in Galicia, whatever the season. There really only was one day that had a lot of rain. I found a poncho enough. I never looked for bus/taxi/driver options.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I live in Seattle, I walk in the rain almost 365 days a year! I asked about the weather conditions in early October because I need to pack lightly and we Seattleites have excellent rain jackets with rain pants but they take up a great deal of room in luggage. Oh, and we do have fleece, wool socks and Birkenstocks, lol.
Well then, howdy neighbor, I'm in Vancouver. The area you are walking is warmer than what you are used to. Porto's climate is more like California. Galicia is damp like where we live - it even looks a bit like the PNW, but a bit warmer. You don't need a "heavy" rain jacket. That time of year, a very thin rain shell over your fleece will be all you need for the most part. Another way of thinking about it is this: In the worst case scenario, would you be warm enough if you were wearing everything in your pack all at once as layers? In my case with a merino base layer, a polyester long sleeve, my fleece, and my rain jacket, I'm good down to freezing in a strong wind. You are never going to see anywhere near that type of cold along the coast in October. But you will likely have all of these items in your pack. Layers are the key to keeping warm and keeping your pack weight down.

Hi!
I walked from Porto to Santiago along the Coastal and Variant Espiritual from Sept 20th till 13 October 2021!
Average temp after a cool start was between 20 and 27 C with one day of heavy rain near Redondela! (temp was 22C)
The 27 degree day was on the 12th October in Santiago.
Rick M's advice is good!

I hope it's as good for you when you walk :)
Buen Camino
Woody

Well then, howdy neighbor, I'm in Vancouver. The area you are walking is warmer than what you are used to. Porto's climate is more like California. Galicia is damp like where we live - it even looks a bit like the PNW, but a bit warmer. You don't need a "heavy" rain jacket. That time of year, a very thin rain shell over your fleece will be all you need for the most part. Another way of thinking about it is this: In the worst case scenario, would you be warm enough if you were wearing everything in your pack all at once as layers? In my case with a merino base layer, a polyester long sleeve, my fleece, and my rain jacket, I'm good down to freezing in a strong wind. You are never going to see anywhere near that type of cold along the coast in October. But you will likely have all of these items in your pack. Layers are the key to keeping warm and keeping your pack weight down.
EXCELLENT REPLY Could you tell me what daypack you carried?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!
I walked from Porto to Santiago along the Coastal and Variant Espiritual from Sept 20th till 13 October 2021!
Average temp after a cool start was between 20 and 27 C with one day of heavy rain near Redondela! (temp was 22C)
The 27 degree day was on the 12th October in Santiago.
Rick M's advice is good!

I hope it's as good for you when you walk :)
Buen Camino
Woody
Thank you very much

EXCELLENT REPLY Could you tell me what daypack you carried?
My rain jacket scrounges up into a softball sized pouch. I don't carry what I would call a "Day Pack", I carry a 40 litre backpack that has all my stuff in it. Packs are a little bit like shoes, in that the "Right" one is the one that fits you best. Features don't matter for Camino use, just fit and weight. Head for an REI and start trying them on with weight in the pack. You will know which one fits you best after wearing it for a little while and walking around the store. Ospreys are very popular, but you'll see Deuter, Gregory and others. Find the one that fits your back, and start wearing it with increasing weight during your training walks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi drowdie!
Not sure if you are carrying all your gear in your pack or having gear transported between stops?

You don't need half the stuff you think you do; especially for nine days but you need to look after your feet (good shoes) first then what's on your back!
Stay dry and warm when needed.

But here's what i initially took for 27 day trip from Porto to Santiago!
There's some small stuff i haven't listed.

Pack Osprey Talon 33
Osprey dry sack 60grms
Pair of Hoka Stinson ATR6 non waterproof tail runners (super comefy but bl**dy lethal in the wet)
Pair Ecco lightweight off road hiking sandals
Euroshirm handsfree telescopic sun/rain umbrella.
Haglof LIM rain jacket 220grms(28000mm hyd/head great little jacket)
Rain Kilt 70grms
1 x Rab light weight fleece
2x t shirts
3 xsocks, 3 x liner socks (every one is different some people recommend gloop/vasaline , liner socks and a pair of merino socks to avoid blisters. I did this and my feet cooked in the 25 degree heat so reverted to just the merino 's and was fine but you must test out all this stuff first and make sure it works for you :)

3x boxers
long sleeve Montane tshirt
Columbia sun shirt
2xpairs columbia silver ridge zipoff's (1pair of zippoff bottoms to save weight)
Samsung Tablet 8 inch
Motog6 phone
Charger/cables
Powerpack
Meds/first aid (far far to many)
Miscellaneous other gear (you can find loads of pack lists on the forum as to what to take)
My total pack weight without water/food was 4.89 kilos i had more than enough gear to keep the rain/wind and col out (don't forget your not on the moon buy what you have forgotten or need along the way)
You can call Taxi get a bus most anywhere use Rome to Rio and the check the actual company site for price/timetable>
As i posted above the weather was great!
So i ended up after about 12 days donating:
The Ecco sandals, Montane long sleeve, liner socks, Columbia sun shirt. lots of meds to others and finally my boxers(binned) in the last few days as i couldn't be bothered to keep washing them as i washed shorts everyday (lazy old s*d really)
All the best
Woody
EDIT i always get caught out Rick posted while i was writing this!

My rain jacket scrounges up into a softball sized pouch. I don't carry what I would call a "Day Pack", I carry a 40 litre backpack that has all my stuff in it. Packs are a little bit like shoes, in that the "Right" one is the one that fits you best. Features don't matter for Camino use, just fit and weight. Head for an REI and start trying them on with weight in the pack. You will know which one fits you best after wearing it for a little while and walking around the store. Ospreys are very popular, but you'll see Deuter, Gregory and others. Find the one that fits your back, and start wearing it with increasing weight during your training walks.
Thank you for responding. Going to REI this week. Heard a man named “Joe” in shoes was familiar with all needs for Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi drowdie!
Not sure if you are carrying all your gear in your pack or having gear transported between stops?

You don't need half the stuff you think you do; especially for nine days but you need to look after your feet (good shoes) first then what's on your back!
Stay dry and warm when needed.

But here's what i initially took for 27 day trip from Porto to Santiago!
There's some small stuff i haven't listed.

Pack Osprey Talon 33
Osprey dry sack 60grms
Pair of Hoka Stinson ATR6 non waterproof tail runners (super comefy but bl**dy lethal in the wet)
Pair Ecco lightweight off road hiking sandals
Euroshirm handsfree telescopic sun/rain umbrella.
Haglof LIM rain jacket 220grms(28000mm hyd/head great little jacket)
Rain Kilt 70grms
1 x Rab light weight fleece
2x t shirts
3 xsocks, 3 x liner socks (every one is different some people recommend gloop/vasaline , liner socks and a pair of merino socks to avoid blisters. I did this and my feet cooked in the 25 degree heat so reverted to just the merino 's and was fine but you must test out all this stuff first and make sure it works for you :)

3x boxers
long sleeve Montane tshirt
Columbia sun shirt
2xpairs columbia silver ridge zipoff's (1pair of zippoff bottoms to save weight)
Samsung Tablet 8 inch
Motog6 phone
Charger/cables
Powerpack
Meds/first aid (far far to many)
Miscellaneous other gear (you can find loads of pack lists on the forum as to what to take)
My total pack weight without water/food was 4.89 kilos i had more than enough gear to keep the rain/wind and col out (don't forget your not on the moon buy what you have forgotten or need along the way)
You can call Taxi get a bus most anywhere use Rome to Rio and the check the actual company site for price/timetable>
As i posted above the weather was great!
So i ended up after about 12 days donating:
The Ecco sandals, Montane long sleeve, liner socks, Columbia sun shirt. lots of meds to others and finally my boxers(binned) in the last few days as i couldn't be bothered to keep washing them as i washed shorts everyday (lazy old s*d really)
All the best
Woody
EDIT i always get caught out Rick posted while i was writing this!
DELIGHTED by this reply. Oh how kind people are. I suspect if I wasn’t doing this alone AND have any experience traveling outside of USA and BC, Canada, I would not be such a ‘nervous nellie!” This is my pilgrimage to be thankful to the Creator for sparing my life, from severe illness when I came close to becoming ashes.
Thank you for packing list. Never heard of a hands free umbrella in my entire lifetime.

Never heard of a hands free umbrella in my entire lifetime.
Hi drowdie!

My umbrella is a Euroshirm Swing telescopic hands free Ivar sells them from his store!
You can buy Six Moons,Sea to Summit,gGossamer Gear (umbrellas and /or a fitting kit in the USA)
I think the fitting kit is (£9.99) so probs cheaper USA.
I also have a lighter Euroshirm but prefer the telescopic fits on easier.
Link below was meant to test it and my Altus poncho but daughter just got carried away soaking the poncho and me; but you can see its hands free!!
(as usual please excuse my language not to bad though)
Woody

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.