• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First week / last week on the Camino

MichaelC

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023: Via Francigena, Lucca to Rome
This one is just for fun.

First week: Wow, I can't believe I just walked 100km!
Last week: Only 100 km to Compostela? That's so close!

First week: I can't survive on just toast and coffee in the morning. I need a big American breakfast.
Last week: That albergue offered us toast and coffee in the morning -what a treat!

First week: Gotta keep on walking walking walking 'til I get to my stop
Last week: Anyone want to stop for a slow lunch? I read that there's good pulpo in this town.

Feel free to add your own!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
First week: "Isn't it lovely how all the villages sit on top of hills...a church occupying the highest point looking over the surrounding countryside..."
Later weeks: "Why did they build all the villages on top of #@*! hills?! This thing is tiring enough! Didn't they know it would be easier building (& walking..) if they built them in valleys?!"

Actual excerpts from my emails home during my first Camino (& first long distance walk)...the CF in 2012.
Of course I knew why the villages are built on high points but that didn't help my demeanour on those exhausting days! 😆
Great topic @MichaelC 👏
👣 🌏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
First week: Has everything that was packed when leaving home.
Last week: Has only the essentials, or less since the soap was left in the shower and the underwear was left on the drying line a few villages back.
Yes - exactly this - no matter how ruthless you may be prior to day zero; you can always find something to dispense with by day 10. My pack always weighs less when checked in for the flight home than it did on the flight out.

Also first week ‘hello tree, hello flowers - let’s take the scenic detour; how horrible that every signpost is covered in taxi stickers’

Last week: ‘surely there’s a short cut’

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
First week, thought when entering an albergue "I'll take a shower later after a siesta". (Unfortunately you fall sound asleep dirty and when you try to shower there is no hot water .)

Last week, thought when entering an albergue "I'll take my siesta later after a shower". (Probably you'll have hot water to shower and you can fall asleep clean.)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here is another:
First week (getting to the starting point): What train or bus do I take to get to my albergue or the starting point? And how many KM am I supposed to walk today/in the morning???
Last week (getting ready to go home): The albergue/airport is only 'x' kilometers away - may as well walk!

I seriously said to myself that the airport in Madrid was only 7 miles - it would be an easy walk - but better sense prevailed as airports are notoriously difficult to access by foot!

Here is another:
First week (getting to the starting point): What train or bus do I take to get to my albergue or the starting point? And how many KM am I supposed to walk today/in the morning???
Last week (getting ready to go home): The albergue/airport is only 'x' kilometers away - may as well walk!

I seriously said to myself that the airport in Madrid was only 7 miles - it would be an easy walk - but better sense prevailed as airports are notoriously difficult to access by foot!
We actually tried this back in 2016 but were only about 1km away. Problem was the parking lot goes on forever before you even get close to the airport and we didn't know which way to walk. Luckily it was just a trial walk the night before our departure.
Ever since my first time on the Camino in 2013 I always guesstimate walking distances at roughly 15 minutes per km. Nothing seems so far anymore.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This one is just for fun.

First week: Wow, I can't believe I just walked 100km!
Last week: Only 100 km to Compostela? That's so close!

First week: I can't survive on just toast and coffee in the morning. I need a big American breakfast.
Last week: That albergue offered us toast and coffee in the morning -what a treat!

First week: Gotta keep on walking walking walking 'til I get to my stop
Last week: Anyone want to stop for a slow lunch? I read that there's good pulpo in this town.

Feel free to add your own!
I'm always up for good pulpo.... what town was that?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First week: Get back to the albergue by 10pm or you will be locked out.
Last week: Get back to the albergue by 10pm or you will be locked out.

(I am not very good at getting back to the albergue by 10pm 🤣.)

First Day: I didn't know it will be a life changing experience.
Last Day: I want to do it in reverse

Great thread idea!...and so many fun replies to read!😃
First Day: After a long travel day and a delicious dinner at Corazon Puro, I retired to my room. Stepping in the bathroom down the hall I wondered "Where are all the towels and soap?"🤷 Then it occurred to me "Oh yes, I have to dig in my backpack and use my own, starting today!"
Last Day: Upon seeing the Cathedral in Santiago; "I made it! I conquered! This amazing walk is now off my bucket list!"😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
First week: Taking the bed way back in the corner, up against a wall, putting up my towel from the top bunk to hang down for sleeping privacy. (Very modest)
Last Week: dressing at the side of my bed without a care. Introducing myself to the man whose bed is about 12 inches away, with a “ since I see we are going to be sleeping together, we should probably introduce ourselves”. 😜

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
First day: "Oh look, it's another pilgrim!"
Last 100km: "OMG. Where did they all come from?!"

Also good where other Caminos feed into Frances.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back