• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First week of March lodging

tsher09

Time of past OR future Camino
Beginning of March (2019)
Hi all! Having a tough time finding open lodging for the last part of the route beginning Sarria March 1. In addition,it looks like many restaurants are also closed. Is this generally a bad time to walk? I will be doing so solo and would love not to be totally alone the whole time... I may be able to push to the first of April, if so. Opinions helpful!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't worry, no advance reservations needed unless you're expecting four-star digs. Plenty enough places are open then, and you won't have to compete for beds. Sarria is Caminolandia year-round.
It’s so weird bc many of the places I’ve gotten in contact with are closed until mid March... I just don’t want to be wandering about trying to find lodging and food especially in case of bad weather :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
many of the places I’ve gotten in contact with are closed until mid March
Only a fraction of the places will be open then, because only a fraction of the number of pilgrims will be out then. However, there will be plenty of accommodation available for you. You only need one bed each night.:)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We walked in the winter and never ha an issue of finding an open bed. And if there wasn't one available where we planned we just walked to the next village and found one. I travel a lot internationally and my favorite word is Flexibility.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is it best to call ahead or to look around once I arrive to the town I wish to stay in? I’m more concerned about the whole safety in numbers thing- don’t want to be the only woman staying somewhere each night.

This website is in Spanish, but you can easily see how many "albergues" (i.e. pilgrim hostels) there are per stage from Sarria onwards (just use the arrow at the top saying "siguente" to go to the next stage). If you click on the name of the albergue and look for "disponibilidad", you'll see the months it's open. "Todo el ano" means open all year - I've randomly clicked on a few, and it seems a good number are open all year.

Just follow the arrows into town, and you'll be led straight past the albergues. If the municipal one is full, the hospitaleros will direct you to the next one along the way.

I just looked at the stats from last year, and in the month of March 6,400 people finished the Frances, with 4,500 of those starting in Sarria. That's around 200 people per stage, per day. So don't worry, you'll have plenty of company!

This website is in Spanish, but you can easily see how many "albergues" (i.e. pilgrim hostels) there are per stage from Sarria onwards (just use the arrow at the top saying "siguente" to go to the next stage). If you click on the name of the albergue and look for "disponibilidad", you'll see the months it's open. "Todo el ano" means open all year - I've randomly clicked on a few, and it seems a good number are open all year.

Just follow the arrows into town, and you'll be led straight past the albergues. If the municipal one is full, the hospitaleros will direct you to the next one along the way.

I just looked at the stats from last year, and in the month of March 6,400 people finished the Frances, with 4,500 of those starting in Sarria. That's around 200 people per stage, per day. So don't worry, you'll have plenty of company!
Thanks so very much, that’s the info I was hoping for!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back