• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First world question - hair dryer

Cycle gal

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese Route from Lisbon
In the auberges and hostels, are there hair dryers available in the bathrooms? I want to pack really light but sometimes there are items you can't do without!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hahahaha, second post with same question today (last few hours actually).
Try use Search function or look in New Posts.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, there are times when I read posts and laugh because I had hitherto never considered undertaking a camino with, for example, a hair dryer. But since I'm bald, it is no wonder it has always flown under the radar. However, if I had very long hair then maybe I would think it a priority. Pack it if you want to. It can be done without though - many moons ago, as a young colt, I backpacked through Europe for a months with my John McEnroe-like thatch, during which time it never felt the caress of hair-dryer nor comb, with the marvelous exception of the youth hostel in Zermatt, which thoughtfully provided built-in hair-dryers in the bathroom ceilings(!)

I never saw any, but then I wasn't looking for one either.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Before my Camino...I shaved off my hair...and I saw two women that shaved off their hair too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In all my Caminos I only encountered hair dryers on two occasions - one in Foncebadon because the hospitalera brought her own and once on the Via de la Plata in the parochial albergue in Monesterio where they have a real bathroom just for ladies. Both came as a nice surprise and quite a luxury after weeks of walking.

Haha!! Only if you use it in the washroom and not in the common rooms where people are still sleeping. :) Still, I do think it would come in handy to finish drying those socks that may not have dried overnight....
One of the beauties of the Camino, is that you don't have to do things like you do at home. At home, I blow my hair dry and straight-iron it, etc.... On the Camino, however, I would wash my hair in the afternoon and throw a hairband or a buff on it, and voila, au naturel hair, kinky/curly as it was!! Sounds silly, but giving up the act of having to groom my hair was very freeing!! Or, you could do what a friend of mine did which was to get a weekly blowout as a treat to herself, so that's something you could consider, instead of taking a blow dryer.

Having said all of that, some folks elect to bring along a luxury item, so I would consider this one. A lady I know actually took a tea-set on her Camino, so whatever floats your boat.

Buen Camino!!

Last edited:
One of the best things about the Camino was letting go of things that I normally used at home. No hairdryer, no makeup. Cut my hair short and air-dried.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am on CF now. I wash my hair every 2-3 days n dry my hair by sun, wind or hand drying machine in albergue. Never need a clumsy hair dryer.

Trust me you will leave a trail of things you thought essential and by day two it will dawn you have to carry it. Sending lots of love and blessings Buen Camino
In the auberges and hostels, are there hair dryers available in the bathrooms? I want to pack really light but sometimes there are items you can't do without!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Haha!! Only if you use it in the washroom and not in the common rooms where people are still sleeping. :) Still, I do think it would come in handy to finish drying those socks that may not have dried overnight....
One of the beauties of the Camino, is that you don't have to do things like you do at home. At home, I blow my hair dry and straight-iron it, etc.... On the Camino, however, I would wash my hair in the afternoon and throw a hairband or a buff on it, and voila, au naturel hair, kinky/curly as it was!! Sounds silly, but giving up the act of having to groom my hair was very freeing!! Or, you could do what a friend of mine did which was to get a weekly blowout as a treat to herself, so that's something you could consider, instead of taking a blow dryer.

Having said all of that, some folks elect to bring along a luxury item, so I would consider this one. A lady I know actually took a tea-set on her Camino, so whatever floats your boat.

Buen Camino!!
High tea on the camino ! I think I take my hoover with me. I hate to walk on dusty roads

High tea on the camino ! I think I take my hoover with me. I hate to walk on dusty roads
But about drying your laundry with a hairdryer, I know as I worked several times as hospitaleiro in a privat albergue in Portugal that if the owners see that you dry your fresh washed things with a hairdryer , you are told off because you use their electricity impropriatly. You can hang your laundry on a line in the garden.and if not dried enough the next morning , hang your socks or long John-I bet you will have that :) at the outside of your backpack to dry. Looks charming .:cool: Electricity for us-anyway for myself living in a modern big city in the " rich western "world is a logical thing but living in a small hamlet in the countryside of Portugal it is a different piece of cake.
The only electrical device I carry on is my cellphone charger. Next dicsussion maybe ? Do we need a cellphone on the camino ? I don't think so but tomorrow I go off to Portugal for another caminho. And my Iphone is joining me because it is so handy that I can put my ID and creditcard into the slots of the phonecover :):). Not that I would swap life with medieval pilgrims but I wonder how did they cope with that in ancient times. bom caminho !

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back