• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fish Free Portuguese Food Options?

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
Have seen lots of posts raving about the food along the Camino Portuguese, but I've lots of dietary restrictions to contend with. I'm wondering if there is anything in particular that is suitable and readily available without any of the following : Fish, Shellfish, Mushrooms, Gluten, Lettuce...I survived Spain on hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, bananas, apples, rice cakes, potato chips and that 'omelette' with potato and egg. Is there anything similar in Portugal to watch out for? I do carry a card in the required language when I travel listing allergies, but only tend to use in evening for sit down dining. ( and no, I do not make a spectacle looking for special meals in alburgues. It's my issue, not the hospitalaro's ) I'm looking more for suggestions and availability of grab and go items/ things in local bars/cafes.

Who the heck goes to Portugal and can't eat any fish? The same person who made it through Italy without wheat...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I plan on eating one of these soon after landing in Porto.

Francesinha is made with bread, wet-cured ham, linguiça, fresh sausage like chipolata, steak or roast meat and covered with melted cheese and a hot thick tomato and beer sauce served with french fries.5.jpg

I plan on eating one of these soon after landing in Porto.

Francesinha is made with bread, wet-cured ham, linguiça, fresh sausage like chipolata, steak or roast meat and covered with melted cheese and a hot thick tomato and beer sauce served with french fries.View attachment 45820
Looks yummy for someone else...I can't eat bread...( or beer ) lol This walk will be tricky...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have seen lots of posts raving about the food along the Camino Portuguese, but I've lots of dietary restrictions to contend with. I'm wondering if there is anything in particular that is suitable and readily available without any of the following : Fish, Shellfish, Mushrooms, Gluten, Lettuce...I survived Spain on hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, bananas, apples, rice cakes, potato chips and that 'omelette' with potato and egg. Is there anything similar in Portugal to watch out for? I do carry a card in the required language when I travel listing allergies, but only tend to use in evening for sit down dining. ( and no, I do not make a spectacle looking for special meals in alburgues. It's my issue, not the hospitalaro's ) I'm looking more for suggestions and availability of grab and go items/ things in local bars/cafes.

Who the heck goes to Portugal and can't eat any fish? The same person who made it through Italy without wheat...
Although not an affliction I have I do have a relative with a gluten issue and she eats the bread in Europe with little to no trouble but can not in USA. She is not celiac however. As to the rest of it Portugal is awash in delicious "meat". You can purchase dried and ready to eat cured meats everywhere, that can be carried a day or two w/o refrigeration unless in severe heat. You can purchase easy to fry and eat chorizo (or similar) and of course eggs. Cheese abounds everywhere from your choice of goats, sheep or cows and many times a mix of two or even three. Many forms of cereal that are not going to contain wheat. And of course fresh fruits and veggies (seasonal adjusted).

I remember enjoying frango asado (grilled chicken) last time I was in Portugal. Of course, that was decades ago.
Yes, Frango can also be taken with you (in cooler weather) and eaten hours later again. We had one in Lisbon that was so amazing we had to order a second "to go" (this was an unknown concept at the time and we had trouble arranging it) for our drive up the coast. Lots and lots of garlic though so if that is an issue too be warned. We ate that second Frango many hours later watching the sun set on a desolate beach about 3 hours north of Lisbon (near Nazare I think). Was it that good? Good enough we still talk about almost 30 years later.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Although not an affliction I have I do have a relative with a gluten issue and she eats the bread in Europe with little to no trouble but can not in USA. She is not celiac however. As to the rest of it Portugal is awash in delicious "meat". You can purchase dried and ready to eat cured meats everywhere, that can be carried a day or two w/o refrigeration unless in severe heat. You can purchase easy to fry and eat chorizo (or similar) and of course eggs. Cheese abounds everywhere from your choice of goats, sheep or cows and many times a mix of two or even three. Many forms of cereal that are not going to contain wheat. And of course fresh fruits and veggies (seasonal adjusted).

There are people with 'gluten issues' and self diagnosed gluten intolerance who have stated that they can 'eat the bread in Spain'. It's more likely they have a very mild intolerance to gluten or the preservatives/processes used for bread in other countries. I have a full blown, medically diagnosed allergy to wheat and all wheat by products which make things a tad more complicated traveling. I would not suggest anyone with a medical dx to try the bread as wheat is wheat is wheat... I'm hoping veggies are more readily available than in Spain. Looks like another month of eggs...lol

I'm hoping veggies are more readily available than in Spain. Looks like another month of eggs...lol
If you go to open air markets for sure you will find tons of farmed items. There are of course also shops. As far as what is served in restaurants it will likely be more like Spain. I do know I had excellent vegetable soup everywhere we went (I was battling a cold while there) but can't swear by what ingredients were in there.

If you are going soon the markets will be overflowing with tomatoes, melons, stone fruits and tons of "veggies" like greens and squash. You could try to find out what day of the week different towns have their market and try to coordinate best you can with your walk. Obviously you will not want to carry several pounds of fruit every day so being able to shop every second or third day would be great.

If fresh / raw food is not a good option and you want to rely on eating out my suggestion (not camino based, simply traveling based) would be to avoid bar / snack types of places and look for sit down. Even in places famous for grilled sardines and pulpo they will have mixed green salad, olives, cheese and likely some fruit for dessert.

" I would not suggest anyone with a medical dx to try the bread as wheat is wheat is wheat.."
I added my relative is not celiac and I would imagine anyone who is would not experiment with bread in foreign lands. For the many "self diagnosed" or folks that have "issues" they report an easier time with bread outside of USA. That is all I was trying to say.

Last edited:
I have a friend who is Celiac and also doesn't eat fish and she had a great time in Portugal. She loves roasted chicken, and there are some great ones to be found there! I was googling "piri-piri chicken" (piri piri is a spice brought back to Portugal from their African/Indian former territories) - it's delicious and in its simplest form should be gluten free - anyway, I found this blog post that might be super helpful to you:

https://www.legalnomads.com/gluten-free/portugal/

A simple meat [asado (roasted) or a la plancha (griddled)] with potato (usually fries) and sautéed vegetables you should fare pretty well.
(verduras salteadas / legumes refogados)
( Spanish / Portuguese )

[I'm glad you said that about "wheat is wheat is wheat" ... in traveling with my Celiac friend, I know what a challenge it can be because some people don't truly understand the difference between "I don't eat wheat" to "if there's even a speck of gluten in my food I will become very sick". She now says when ordering food in a restaurant "This is not a lifestyle choice; I will get sick if I eat any gluten". The good thing is that in Spain & Portugal, I find it to be that they mostly cook from scratch and don't use as many processed ingredients as here in the US, for example, so it *should* be easier to be GF there. However, it also just depends on which café/restaurant you end up in.]

Buen Camino to you!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a friend who is Celiac and also doesn't eat fish and she had a great time in Portugal. She loves roasted chicken, and there are some great ones to be found there! I was googling "piri-piri chicken" (piri piri is a spice brought back to Portugal from their African/Indian former territories) - it's delicious and in its simplest form should be gluten free - anyway, I found this blog post that might be super helpful to you:

https://www.legalnomads.com/gluten-free/portugal/

A simple meat [asado (roasted) or a la plancha (griddled)] with potato (usually fries) and sautéed vegetables you should fare pretty well.
(verduras salteadas / legumes refogados)
( Spanish / Portuguese )

[I'm glad you said that about "wheat is wheat is wheat" ... in traveling with my Celiac friend, I know what a challenge it can be because some people don't truly understand the difference between "I don't eat wheat" to "if there's even a speck of gluten in my food I will become very sick". She now says when ordering food in a restaurant "This is not a lifestyle choice; I will get sick if I eat any gluten". The good thing is that in Spain & Portugal, I find it to be that they mostly cook from scratch and don't use as many processed ingredients as here in the US, for example, so it *should* be easier to be GF there. However, it also just depends on which café/restaurant you end up in.]

Buen Camino to you!!
Thank You! I had not come across that article...extremely helpful !

Walking the Camino Portuguese now. It seems like there are three things on all menus: codfish, varieties of steak, and a pasta without any meat or fish. They do tend to believe that life must have rice, potatoes, and bread with every meal :)

I think it may be tough in that Portuguese may inhibit communication a bit but that said, everyone I’ve run into has been very friendly and helpful.

If you made it through Italy ok, I think you can make it through Portugal.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.