• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fisterra route "destroyed" by fire and flood

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
are they working on the damage currently? we will be walking from sdc to finisterre in late january, and hope for no problems.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't think it is a problem actually walking out to Finisterre, but with the recent fires and the flooding you may walk some stretches in burnt forest.

Esau: What did you find hard, finding your way or just to see the destruction? I am curious to know so that I can better give advice to people that ask me about this. I have driven out to Costa da Morte a few times since the fires and I see burnt forest, but not that much.

The flooding problem is a minor problem for pilgrims I think. Everything that was a problem related to the flooding has now been fixed enough so that a pilgrim would not have any problems.

Anyway, it would be nice to hear from someone that has walked to Finisterre lately.

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

I walked too

I walked 3 days after the rain (at the end of october) this route. I think no problem. Ok a little bit water but only two time I must take an road for an short part. From Muxia to Finistere it was harder. 5 km more because an river has only stone to cross over. But the people there say wich way you must go and they are great, they helped if they can.
Here I must say thanks to the police when they closed the camino and to some pilgrims which must go the original route and dont knowing what they do, crazy man. Nearer the death as alive. If you trust the camino you have never an problem.

Markus

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To add to all this, we are getting ready for another few days with bad weather. The weather report is saying that we will get strong wind and moderate to heavy rain. I saw some pictures from Cee and they are getting ready with sand-bags to try to avoid another flooding downtown.

This type of weather is normal for Galicia in fall/winter, the problem is that with the fires we had this summer the vegetation is gone in many places and the water does not go into the grown. Too much water on the surface create bigger rivers than normal and flooding.

Right now in Santiago, the wind has picked up but still no rain. But you get the feeling that it will start any moment now.

Un saludo,
Ivar

ivar said:
Esau: What did you find hard, finding your way or just to see the destruction? I am curious to know so that I can better give advice to people that ask me about this. I have driven out to Costa da Morte a few times since the fires and I see burnt forest, but not that much.

It was hard to find the way AND to pass it (flooding)...I had had to take a long part on the road, especially from Olveiroa to Cee. But I think without rain it's no problem and NOT dangerous.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back