• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fisterra via Muxia and back to Santiago

handzondeck2

Time of past OR future Camino
Life is one big adventure - follow your dreams.
Hi all

Just finished walking back from Finisterra via Muxia. Seven days in total. Weather at the moment in Santiago is superb. Bring the suntan cream. Heaps of pilgrims walking towards Negreira. Track is very good in most places. Well sign marked except if walking back from Muxia can be a little deceiving.

Albergue in Negreira was completo when I passed through both times. Option stay at Albergue San Jose. Good albergure. Kitchen and rest area. Sheets and towel with blanket. Cost 12 Euros. Reservations taken. +34 881 976 934. A little off the camino but a direct route in the morning and you can walk the road straight to Zas and cut out the small detour to the municipal albergue.

First bar stop after Negreira is Cafe-Bar Nova(A Pena). Look for red arrow at the 8 km mark and go up a slight rise. Bar is on the road and you can walk 2 km on road to the next camino turn off.
Next Bar: Vilacerio. Approx 4 km fro A Pena. Meals are very good and fulfilling. Has private albergue for 12Euro. Municipal albergue (donativo) about 300 metres down the road in the school. Basic. No kitchen but can get a meal at the bar.

A Maronas - Casa Victoriano does great meals. This stop is about 12km from Olveiroa. Private albergue next door. Book ahead if you want to stay here as it is becoming quite polpular.

Olveiroa - two albergues. One municipal - kitchen, 34 beds (can get blankets from hospitalera). Cost 5€. Take a bed and the hospitalera comes at 1830 to 1930 hrs to give you sheets, sello and take payment.
Private albergue about 2 metres before municapal turn off - Albergue Horreo. Cost 12€ basic sheets and blankets. Laundry service (6€ wash and dry). Has small and reasonable supermercado in bar area. Does breakfast (3.50€) at 0600 hrs for the early risers.
Also Pension Casa Loncho which is next to the private albergue and run by the same people. e: casaloncho@gmail.com

AS Pias - pension ph +34 981 741 520. Not sure of cost but does great menu del dia at 12€. Also breakfast (3.50€) at 0630hr.

Bar stop at 4 km - Hospital (last bar for about 15km if going direct to Fisterra).

Cee - ample accommodation.

Corcubion (San Roque) - Donativo. If you are planning to stay there albergue opens up late afternoon. About 10 km from Fisterra.

Fisterra - ample accommodation.

N.B. If walking to Muxia from Fisterra or visa versa to Fisterra from Muxia you must stop at Lires (14 km halfway mark) to get a sello if you want to stay at the albergue. Bar AS EIRAS has a stamp.

If walking back from Muxia. Waymarking can be a little difficult in some areas before Dumbria. Path is very good and hilly. Full of ups and downs but that´s the camino.

Dumbria - albergue opens up late. Cost 5€. Reports from pilgrims - very good.

That´s all for now

Buen Camino

Sharon :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stopped in at the Albergue in Dumbria to drop off some info on The Little Fox House and I was flabbergasted! They didn´t make alberges like that in my day (when they were still called refugios)!

HĂłla Sharon,
This post is useful for anyone travelling beyond Santiago towards the coast.
It also helps me recall much from my walk at end of August 2011.
AS Pias - pension ph +34 981 741 520. Not sure of cost but does great menu del dia at 12€. Also breakfast (3.50€) at 0630hr.
I availed of menu del dia which I thoroughly enjoyed. Owner told me room was €43 without breakfast as it was peak season. Did you see the coins in the brickwork in bar?
N.B. If walking to Muxia from Fisterra or visa versa to Fisterra from Muxia you must stop at Lires (14 km halfway mark) to get a sello if you want to stay at the albergue. Bar AS EIRAS has a stamp.
OK, I should know better. I walked to Muxia via Lires beach and arrived at albergue at 8pm without evedince of sello. Luckily I had taken photo at beach which assured hospitalero I had passed that way.
Way back in 2009 at Corcubion, Sil told all pilgrims to obtain sello in Lires en route to Muxia as there is a bus service operating this route. I repeat I should know better as questions were asked in 2011 when I completed Camino Ingles from Neda to Santiago in 3 days. We shouldn't put personnel in pilgrims office and albergues under pressure to complete their job dutifully....so collect those sellos if it's important to you to stay in albergues.
Dumbria - albergue opens up late. Cost 5€. Reports from pilgrims - very good.
I arrived at 6pm on a Sunday evening and door was open. Hospitalero arrived at 7pm and stayed until 10pm.
Thanks for post Sharon. Stay safe.

Buen Camino.

Edit: Yes, Tracy it is spacious, clean etc

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you owned "Zara" Tracey we would not have The Little Fox House.
We deliberately stopped @ Dumbria last May because i think its a wonderful effort by the lad to help .
Will see you later in the year when we know our travel times,
Well done Sharon ,
David

Thanks Dave,
Always good to keep this section updated as the guides go out of date quickly. 8)

Thornley said:
If you owned "Zara" Tracey we would not have The Little Fox House.
Oh Ho ho! Oh yes we would and it would be bought and paid for and I'd have the donkey house next door and the field behind and I could relax and stay home and write and welcome my tired and weary pilgrims in royal style! (as I try to do anyway!!!) I've done the Marbella life....not for this pilgrim. Never was!
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Will debate his wonderful gesture when we arrive later fhis year .
He has helped Dumbria get on the map mate.
But then he would not drive to Muxia to get us would he?/
Keep well T
D

Hi all,
Im off on Monday. Starting my maiden voyage. Santiago/fisterre/muxia/santiago. Its my practice run before the big one next year.Sooooo excited !!!
Ive been trying my best to learn spanish but Im still not very good. How easy is it to get the bus from Santiago airport to the city centre?. I know its silly but right now thats the only bit thats worrying me. Any tips?
Trish

Trish - there is a half hourly service from right outside the arrivals hall - 3 euros one way I think. The bus stops at the bus station and also near the Plaza Roja in the heart of the centre.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[there is a half hourly service from right outside the arrivals hall - 3 euros one way I think. The bus stops at the bus station and also near the Plaza Roja in the heart of the centre.

Thanks Johny,
Prob get off near Plaza Roja. Im sure im worrying over nothing. Im used to planning things to minute detail. Its quite hard to let go and just let things unfold on their own. :?

Trishkerry said:
Hi all,

Ive been trying my best to learn spanish but Im still not very good. How easy is it to get the bus from Santiago airport to the city centre?. Any tips?
Trish
Hi Trish,
I have found that the people working in bus and train stations are pretty amazing at guessing where people want to go. But when in doubt when buying your ticket, consider writing down where you want to go, what day and approximately what time. That way they don't have to guess whether you want to go now or want to sight see for awhile (doesn't usually apply at an airport;) ). Don't worry about putting it in a sentence although a please and thank you is always appreciated of course, and it's easy to forget when we're struggling to be clear in another language.
Buen camino
Cecelia

Hello all,
I think I'm going to do the trip by going to Muxia first then on to Fisterra.
I'm planning on doing it during the last week of September, however I am slightly concerned about the weather - do you think it will still be sunny and warm and has anyone done it at this time of year?

Also, I'm thinking of camping out one of the nights - could you recommend a spot to do this? Either by the sea or in a quiet place maybe near the romanesque church?

Thanks!
Natalia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back