• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fitness level

Luc007

Time of past OR future Camino
New member - plan to walk camino first time Sept 2018
Hello all pereginos,
I'm asking for opinions on doing the camino when you are fat. I am 50lbs overweight but somewhat fit ( if that is possible). I have been training for the past month to walk 10-12km on 3 or 4 times a week and can manage that easily. But camino days are more like 25-30km, so yesterday I pushed myself to see what I could do. I walked 25km. It took about 6.5 hours including a one hour break half way.
At the end I was completely exhausted and very sore (glutes/hams/quads and feet). I'm not sure I could do that everyday for 5 weeks. So I am wondering how fit must you be to do the whole CF?
Thanks to all that reply. Buen Camino!

Luc

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do no push yourself, specially not the first days or you will regret it during the rest of your camino. If time and money aren't an issue, there's no problem in doing shorter 15km days. If you are walking the francés or the portugués, you will always find accommodation in between towns (reserve beforehand if you do it in summer).
Also, even if you do decide to do 25km a day, 6.5 hours seems like a really good mark, that means you'd leave at 7am and reach the albergue by local lunch time. Having had the reservation, you may as well have walked slower or taken more breaks in order to arrive two hours later and still have plenty of time to rest or enjoy the town.
There's not an specific level of fitness one must be. Each one is walking their own camino.

Hello all pereginos,
I'm asking for opinions on doing the camino when you are fat. I am 50lbs overweight but somewhat fit ( if that is possible). I have been training for the past month to walk 10-12km on 3 or 4 times a week and can manage that easily. But camino days are more like 25-30km, so yesterday I pushed myself to see what I could do. I walked 25km. It took about 6.5 hours including a one hour break half way.
At the end I was completely exhausted and very sore (glutes/hams/quads and feet). I'm not sure I could do that everyday for 5 weeks. So I am wondering how fit must you be to do the whole CF?

Luc
Hey Luc,

It sounds to me like you have already put a lot of effort into your training so don't throw that away on doubt of not being able to cover those large distances everyday. Remember that it is up to you how far you choose to walk in a day. It's your way and your journey.

I can tell you that from my own experience doing the CF last year, I definitely found the first week to two weeks quite hard on the body...I experienced some serious aches and pains! It can be very tough at times.

But I can also tell you that your body adjusts to the physical demands of the trail and a lot of it also comes down to your mindset. You will be amazed at your physical endurance once your mental endurance kicks in!

I met some pretty inspiring people that were doing the way at the same time as me. And if I learnt anything from those people it's that you aren't too old or too overweight, not fit enough (etc); it's about your willingness to get yourself out there and make something of the experience no matter what the outcome.

So hopefully this can provide you with a little more reassurance and I have absolute confidence that you will get out on the CF and make the distance Luc!

I wish you all the best on your journey!

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all pereginos,

Luc
Hi Luc
Your walking regime sounds good and you still have a month or so to go
With 5 weeks to cover the walk, then 20-22 km a day would suffice and as Enice said starting off early...mainly to beat the sun and heat...you should get to your destination early in the day

Have lots of short breaks rather than one long break during the day
And when you reach your destination...just rest, rest,rest and relax...no more walking for the day!

Maybe in certain sections with a lot of Tarmac....eg..Leon to La Virgin del Camino...hop on a bus

Also think about transporting your backpack

Being very overweight on a long walk like the Camino does bring its problems......mainly for the feet and sweating.....
So changing your socks as often as possible will help to prevent blisters
Am sure you will get a lot more tips from the forum..
And as they say....
"There's more than one way to skin a cat"!
My cat has never heard me say this though!! ......I love cats so would never upset them by saying this out loud!

Am sure you will make it Luc.....let us know how you get on
Best wishes
Annette

Hello all pereginos,

Luc

If you have time, there's no reason you have to walk 25-30 km stages. You can walk as few kilometers per day as you like, and slowly build up as you go. There's no law that says you have to walk any particular "stages." If you have a Brierley's guide, or another guide, you'll find places to sleep in between those stages all along the route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Luc007 ,

I wish I was 50lbs overweight, see picture left, and kept up with people nearly 20 years younger and 100lbs lighter without any trouble getting from SJPdP to SdC in 29 days. As long as you've been reasonably active over the years carrying around some extra bulk should have given you strong legs and cardio-vascular system, as another plus the additional weight of your backpack will be proportionately smaller than for the more waif like on the Camino.

This of course comes with a major disclaimer and suggestion that you might want to get a check up with a medical professional first but just because you're overweight doesn't in itself mean that you will definitely struggle. You've done a lot more dedicated preparation than I ever did already and that's a very good thing.

@Annette london makes some great points, wear and tear to the body when you're carrying that extra weight is significant, I would strongly suggest using poles to let your arms take a little of the strain away from the legs.

Annette is also right about sweaty feet if I'm anything to go by. I got terrible blisters on Camino 1 with thick socks that I thought would provide cushioning but instead got damp and created friction so for Camino 2 I wore walking sandals and fairly thin socks with a light coating of vaseline to the feet, that along with regular airings during breaks worked a treat. One thing to be careful of is not doing so much training in the shoes you plan to walk in that they fall apart before you get to Santiago, I got maybe 1200km out of my Keens and by the end of the Camino they were done.

And one final positive thought. Both times I've done the Camino despite eating and drinking whatever I liked I lost over 10lbs, just be careful when you get home.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Sounds like you will be just fine.
We don't train much due to chronic foot injuries.
So we just start slow and gradually increase distances as our endurance builds. We are lucky as we are not pushed for time.

We start with 8 kms. and build slowly. Our day 7 is tomorrow and we'll aim for 22 kms.

That is about our limit. Beyond that and we start to struggle. I can do 30 kms if pushed. But injuries will not recover, so not worth it.

You'll find your own comfotablee distance. Don't worry about what others do.

And, I'm about 10-15 kgs overweight too!

Hope this makes sense. Just finished a menu del dia with a bottle of wine!

Siesta time....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all pereginos,

Luc
Luc, the Camino is yours. Have it your way.

Thank you all for the many replies. I realize that endurance (both mental and physical) will come with practice/time. I'm not looking at it like a race, but I also don't want to take it too slow. My budget will allow 35 days at most. I still have a few months to prepare so hopefully my training and fitness will continue to improve and I can shed a few pounds. I read somewhere "not to walk the camino before you walk the camino". This will become my new mantra for pacing myself . I've been fat pretty much all my life at varying degrees through out the years. So I'm kind of used to it, which is why I said I feel "somewhat fit" despite 50lbs overweight. Anyway many thanks to all of you.
Buen Camino.
Luc

If you start to "fall behind" - meaning that you aren't on track to get to Santiago within the 35 days you have available, you can always take a bus, train, or taxi to make up some time. A lot of people do that. The only portion that you must walk to qualify for the compostela is the last 100km - before that, it's a matter of personal choice whether or not to walk the whole way or take transportation for part of it. Another option is to just go as far as you can with the time you have and then come back another year and finish it up - plenty of people do that too - complete the Camino over the course of 2 or 3 visits.

Of course, another option is to start walking somewhere west of Saint Jean. Saint Jean to Santiago is 790 km, so you'd need to average 22-23 km/day to make it in 35 days. But if you start farther along, you'll have fewer km to cover with the time you have and can average fewer km per day.

There are a lot of ways that you can put this together - just need to decide what's the right approach for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello,
I am in the final weeks before my Camino, and am very far from my hoped-for physical condition. Am now able to do daily treks, and sorting out how to accommodate my vulnerable hamstrings.

My discoveries:
1) Learning to make best use of my poles (weighting on straps every step, good form in swinging back, using shoulder blades to assist arms) and
2) Taking shorter steps than usual. I can speed up pace a little by swinging poles more quickly; somehow my legs follow my arms.
3) All the while, engaging (kind of squeezing) my abdominal core to ensure proper posture, and not straining my back.

If this sounds a little tricky, it is. That’s why I’m trying to make it all habit before I begin the walk... and building further awareness of this 68-year old body.

Best wishes. Might see you along the way,
Jo

everyone can walk... Unless there are disabilities, medical issues etc etc. Then you need to consider those issues

You can be superfit, having done marathons, triathlons etc - and end up with medical issues... (Been there, seen them...)

You can be unfit, at the beginning, and listening to your body, you will walk a joyful walk to the end. (Been there, seen that)

We all worry (I think), but - it aint a punishment, breaks are good ( take shoes and socks off, if you can).

I think the hardest thing - might be listening to your body... If you do that right, you´ll get there. And - if that is 2km, let the 2 km be the victory. Then grab a book, share a coffee etc etc

How much time you got to walk?
If you absolutely have no need to walk the Camino in under 35 days or so, walk shorter days, especially at the beginning. Even take some short, short days of under 10 km's when you feel tired.
Get some trekking poles and learn their proper use. They can be very beneficial in helping you to walk more efficiently. Stay hydrated. Eat properly.
Most of all, travel as light as you can.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Luc007 , greetings

Take your time for preparation. In my case I was more than 20 kg over (my BMI) weight when I started training in early 2012. My first walk was less than 5 km downhill. And at the end I was buggered.

My regime was much like yours, increasing the distance gradually each time until 30 km trips were normal. And I started reducing the size and frequency of my intake.

After two years, as my BMI approached normality, I regularly incuded two components in my training trips. First was to complete 15 km or more without stopping. The second was to achieve, say, 700 metres of elevation gained in that 15 km or less. The objective was to get stamina and train the head.

After four years I felt ready. Coming from the uttermost ends of the earth (northern Spain is my antipodes) I wanted to return to my small community with my mana pretty much intact.

So, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Your fitness and strength will build up as you go. After 5 days I took my pack downstairs in the morning, and I was convinced that it was too light and that I must have left something behind. I went back to the dormitory to find I hadn't forgotten anything, I had just become stronger, and it felt lighter because of that.
Also, remember that you won't be walking the 20 -25 kms or whatever you choose to so, all in one go. You'll be stopping at cafe's , to look at things, its not continuous.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found walking long distances on the Camino much easier than trying long distances at home. Maybe because of the beauty. Maybe because we stopped for breaks more often, but home training and walking the Camino are not the same.

Me too. I think a big part of it is that walking is basically the only thing you "have" to do each day on the Camino. At home, most of us have to fit in our walks with all the other stuff we have to do so we rush through it and that makes it more fatiguing. On the Camino, you've got all day to walk, so you just walk - and like you said, stop, then walk some more, then stop, then walk - and before you know it, you've gone 20+ km.

........ So I am wondering how fit must you be to do the whole CF?

Luc

I look at fitness levels and the pursuit of something like backpacking, trekking, tennis, racquetball, swimming, or walking the Camino a bit differently than some.

The fitter one is to do an activity, the more enjoyable doing that activity will be. I tend to train hard in order to walk easy.

BUT .... The Camino is not an expedition to summit Everest, so one can be in less than ideal fitness and shape and still undertake a successful Camino. Let me give you an example.

When I started my thru hike of the Pacific Crest Trail, I saw several backpackers at Campo also starting their thru hikes of the Pacific Crest Trail overweight and over packed and having done no real training. A few of these guys I saw at different times along the way; some others I kept in touch with for a while. I noticed that there were things they all had in common that determined whether or not they were able to continue to the end.

Keep in mind that none of these guys had ever met until starting the PCT, and they didn't hike as a group after they started.

1. Determination and commitment. My gosh, sometimes I felt like I could feel waves of that determination roll off of them. Barring accident or injury, there was no way they were going to quit before reaching the Canadian border 2,650 miles away from where we started. Out of 7 that I got to know at different times on the trail, all but one ended up making it. The one guy who didn't was stopped at Stevens Pass in Washington due to heavy snow in the North Cascades making normal trail walking impassible.

2. Recognizing and abiding by limitations. These guys knew they were overweight and underfit, and so did not try to act like they were not. For most of them, that was part of the incentive to take on the PCT. Each knew they had a higher than normal risk for injuries, blisters, over-exertion complications, etc. and did what they could to minimize the risk.

3. Having a goal is also compatible with being flexible with conditions as they occur, and of one's own expectations. Each of the hikers had a broad idea of what to expect, but they also realized from the very beginning that they could not know how things would actually unfold. As such, they remained open to the unknown.

4. They had planned on using the first weeks of their 5.5 month hike to 'get in shape'. Actually, there are a goodly percentage of backpackers on the PCT that do the same thing. It's the same thing that a lot of folks do when starting Camino. It works to use the beginning of a long, physical adventure to work oneself into shape as the first days and weeks pass.

So, to me, the question of how much training to do for Camino is answered by the question: How quickly do you want the basic physical effort of walking Camino to fade into the background, allowing more focus to be on the reason you are doing a Camino?

All of us walking Camino deal with aches and pains and foot care and stuff like that. Dealing with that routine kind of stuff along with the effort of getting into walking fitness takes much more energy. So, do what training you can ahead of time, like you are already doing, and it will pay you back as you start your Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
people WORK UP to 25 km
the suggestions everyone had to start out with shorter days then you might want worked well for me- the suggestion was, that easing into it , makes overuse injuries less likely- few people have the chance to truly walk continuous days of 20 km prior to their walk

i suspect, like me, you will find that the mileage naturally increases as your body strengthens and you are doing mileage after 3 weeks that you could not image prior

Indeed,It's the Spanish Camino not the Spanish inquisition :)
That actually made me laugh! On my CF in 2014, I was chastised for taking a bus on day 3 of pouring rain when I was sick... (I have a tendency for colds to turn to brinchitis and then to full on lung infections)... and was accused of being insufficiently penitent on my journey because I refused to suffer adequately for my interlocutors. I think you have identified the problem: they have confused the camino for the inquisition!!!

€149,-
I weighed 325 pounds when I started in Pamplona on Sept. 22,2017. I had gone to the gym 5 days a week for two years prior to my Camino. I walked three miles on the treadmill and did weights each day. I would also walk five miles two days a week on the trails. I thought I was in fair shape for a guy that weighed 325. Well my first day out of Pamplona was an eye opener! Of course me being a big guy I thought I could carry more weight than I should have. Wow, the first day killed me. I made it about 12k. I thought about quitting as I was way over my head. Thank goodness I learned about bag transport. I used bag transport for the first week and took it slow. I walked between 10 to 12k a day for the first week or two. I then got slowly used to the walking and my distance went up when not in the hills. It would take me all day to walk what others would do in four hours. This meant that I never got in with a group as everyone would walk faster and therefore a town or two farther than me so I was sleeping with a new group every night. Anyway it took me 43 days to get to Santiago and I look back on the Camino as being the hardest physical thing I have ever done and would not have missed it for the world. Just know it was so hard for me that I thought about stopping and flying back home at least once a day for the first week. I am so glad I just kept going and did not quit.
Be safe and taking it slow the first week is the key. It does get easier after the first week.

Hi Luc!

I'm pretty sure you can do it, and walking 10km in a day is already great!
Instead of stressing out about distances, maybe start slightly closer to Santiago, so you won't have the psychological "time pressure"? Burgos is a wonderful city and also a traditional starting point for many pilgrims :) The cathedral over there has credentials, there are many camino-related places to visit.

Remember that it is YOUR Camino. You don't have to do 25km a day. You have to do what you feel like doing, ok? With time, you can try longer distances, but there is no itinerary you HAVE to follow.

And everything else that was already said above - people in this forum are just amazing :)

EDIT: out of curiosity, I'm a 30-ish, fit, small girl. I can rarely do 25km a day, my ideal distance is 18-20km followed by a nice stroll to enjoy the place where I decided to stop. I did 30km once (almost at the end) and almost ruined my camino on how sore and broken I felt. Each person is different :)

As a fellow "under tall" person...I am not overweight...I am under tall..." Allow me to offer these reflections and suggestions. I have done six Caminos, and have been "fat" for all of them.

1. 25-30 km daly is unrealistic when you are starting out carrying the equivalent of two extra, loaded backpacks (the extra 50 pounds you mentioned). I recommend you seriously consider adjusting this, at least in the beginning, to less than 20 km. Do not be put off by the "Brierley Stages."

Simply adjust your daily starting place to somewhere in between. You may find getting a bed easier as well. If you gain capability as the days and weeks progress, then increase your daily targets. As others have said, you do your own Camino. It is NOT a race. Be the tortoise, not the hare.

2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!! Those of us carrying extra weight sweat more and need more replacement water, as well as other foods and liquids that contribute to maintaining electrolyte levels (oranges, bananas, etc.). Do not overdue it with beer and wine. It is VERY easy to do in Spain.

Force yourself to consume water on a regular schedule even if you do not feel thirsty. I took three "dirt naps" (sudden onset syncope [fainting]) on my way from Porto to Santiago in April 2015. The doctors in the US later determined that I was likely suffering from heat exhaustion and dehydration.

3. If you know you will have joint pain after walking for a few hours, take an appropriate NSAID BEFORE you start in the morning. Most of these pain relievers take an hour or so to metabolize. This way, the relief will be there when you need it. It works for me.

4. Take better care of your feet than you might do at home. Many folks use Vaseline or something similar to lubricate their feet, before booting up each morning to reduce friction. But, remember that EVERYONE'S feet are different. What works for me (and it does) may not work for you.

5. If you find you need something for your feet, you can pick it up as you progress in most any farmacia in Spain. On my last Camino - I just returned Sunday - I even found Dr. Scholl's gel insoles in a farmacia. Many pharmacists speak at least a little English, and along the Camino, they have seen every imaginable illness a pilgrim can get.

6. If you planned to do 20 or 25 km and you just cannot finish the last 5 - 8 km for the day, there is no crime or sin in stopping at a cafe and asking them to call a taxi to take you to the next stop. It costs about €1 per km. Do not tip, but do round up.

7. If you are going to be on Camino for a month or more, try to build in a rest day-off every week to 10 days. If you arrange these at places like Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, etc. you will be able to rest up for an extra day. If you are in an albergue, simply tell them you are having health issues and ask to stay a second night. It is not odd, and most albergues will oblige you.

I could go on, but these tips will help you manage your Camino in a sane manner.

Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello all pereginos,

Luc

Even though "the book" shows 20+ km days, you will not be castigated if your days are less. I am 84 now, walked the Camino Frances in 2015 and simply went as far as I could go comfortably each day, and even took the bus occasionally. I did manage the 100km at the end by foot, but not in 20+km days. The bag transport companies also help those of us with more age and/or more weight. I think there are folks who will not agree with me and think one must push on harder, always carry one's own bag, etc. They are okay to have their opinions. I am planning to go to Portugal in June to follow that Caminho and will do it the same way as before. Around Fatima, I expect to meet some local (and not) people who consider going there to be a genuine Pilgrimage. Another "angle" - there are many people who are unable to set aside the time to manage the entire route and so follow one part, then come back other years to do the next...... You can do it your way.

Thank you all again for the many replies and ideas. The common theme seems to be "do your camino your own way". And of course, there are just as many "ways" to walk the camino as there are peregrinos. But I'm still at the planning stage - for now just visualizing myself doing it. And for today ,"my camino", the way I want to do it, is pretty traditional if not brutal: start at SJPDP, carry my pack, walk rain or shine, sleep in albergues, do it in under 35 days, suffer my poor feet, etc ect... That is the plan for now, as I sit in my comfortable office fantasizing about it. But of course all this may change when I finally get there. Who knows! I may decide to rent a bibycle and use the time saved to play the tourist, or just come home early, or do it in sections over a few years , or whatever. But I do enjoy a challenge and pushing myself, so we'll see. If my extra weight gets in the way, then so be it. All is good. And judging by these responses, I'm starting to see that the extra 50lbs is really just in my head. Buen Camino.

Luc

Luc:

35 days to do the entire Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port is fairly standard, even following the prescribed stages in the Brierley Guide. In his seminal guide book, Brierley allows 33 days, but that is an arbitrary number. He chose it originally as it was the number of years Jesus Christ lived on earth. He might just as easily chose 40 days, with its biblical connections.

The Brierley guide book is replete with mediative passages and religious themes to this effect. There is nothing wrong with this and I have used his book. The actual logistical content is quite good. My point is simply to make everyone understand that there is no "official" required time to do the Camino Frances.

Over time, this 33 - 35 day number has become sort of set in stone as the authoritative measure for how long it takes to do the Camino Frances. But, this amount of time DOES NOT allow you to take things at your own pace. It does not allow for rest days. And, it requires many 25 - km 30 days. Do the math... Just take 799 km and divide by the number of days in question...the result is interesting. For example, if you walk 20 km daily on average, covering the 799 km will take 40 days, with no rest days...etc.

Having done the entire CF twice and the second half from Leon a third time, I can say with some authority that the only logical way to cover the distance in 35 days, while taking things at a more moderate pace, is to use buses and / or taxis to skip some portions. I advise against this on purely esthetic grounds. Anything you miss is missed. In my experience, it would take another week, or at least 42 days, or more to accomplish the entire 799 km at a more relaxed pace.

This is a situation where you have choices, but those choices have consequences. If you have on 35 days, and insist on covering every meter on foot, you MUST walk more km daily. Everything else requires compromises.

IMHO, alternatives include starting in Leon and only doing the second half, starting at Saint Jean Pied de Port and going as far as you can, planning to return in future to complete the route, or finding more time to do it completely as you seem to want to do, seem to define your range of options.

However, and as others have said, in the end, it is YOUR Camino. Our formal / informal rule #1 is that: "Every pilgrim walks their own Camino. No other person has the standing or right to challenge the manner you use to accomplish your Camino...PERIOD!" We stand by your right to do so.

Hope this helps.

Luc,
You're doing great. It doesn't matter how fit you are, your body will still have to condition itself when you start walking.

If I were to add anything to what has already been said, I'd say add strength training, particularly your core and legs - this really does make a huge difference. Learning to stretch is so important as well.

And yes, no matter what shape you're in, take the first week slowly. This is actually not as simple as it sounds. It's so easy to get carried away with everything. And never, NEVER, try to keep up with the 70 yr olds - that lot will wipe the floor with you. I'm serious.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I got home yesterday after completing my first Camino Frances in 38 days. I started at 275lb (at 5’ 7”), having done some training walks, but probably nowhere near enough.

I usd most of the strategies outlined above: started deliberately with shorter stages by cutting SJPdP to Roncesvalles into two stages, made it all the way to Zubiri (22K) the next day, but then was so tired I only managed 16K the following day, and made a conscious decision to do only 10K the next. I had a knee issue which forced a rest day and a couple of 10K days, so I used taxi/bus to make up what I’d missed, and avoid a climb/descent.

I listened to my body and didn’t try to walk faster, or longer, than I could. I took a lot of short breaks- 3 minutes sitting on a wall or whatever, at last once an hour. When I was really tired, I took a short day.

I got to the end, and did keep up with Brierley stages for the last week (when I had company), although it was tough.

You do get fitter. Take your time, listen to your body. A bus ride is a better option than doing yourself an injury.

PS, I came home 22lb lighter - I walked off my pack!

Hello Luc,
Lots of advice already for you to consider.
I would like to offer you some thoughts for consideration.................

I believe for most people their training should be aimed at getting fit enough to start their Camino, then walk into more fitness and stamina during their Camino. You sound to me as though you are ready to start, albeit perhaps with shorter days than you would like to begin with.

Have you considered adjusting your start point to allow you to walk shorter days to begin with, if you have a time-frame to walk within?

Your trial jump from 10/12 km to 25 was a big demand on your body, I'm not surprised you felt it.:eek: Your actual walking time for that was 5.5hrs. On average, for many people, a pace of 4-5 kph appears most common over flatfish terrain. Maybe you went too quickly for your first bigger walk over varied terrain?

I would also recommend walking poles if you consider yourself overweight. (By the way, a Camino, for the majority of people is a guaranteed, but fairly radical weight-loss plan;)), actually,,,,,,,,,,,, I recommend walking poles anyway.

Buen (fitness and fun-filled) Camin

Well, of course you are sore. You just doubled your distance in one day! Work up to it gradually. Add a K to your normal distance each week, if you have time. If not, do as others have said and start your Camino with your normal distance and then complete each day with what is comfortable.

€83,-
Luc, I think you are on the right track with your approach of planning it now the way you would like to do it and being ready to be flexible and respond to the situation as it appears when you are actually on the ground walking. Now you are picturing yourself walking the whole way, carrying your backpack, sleeping in albergues, on a Brierley-like schedule of less than 35 days. But you are prepared to adapt that to your experience.

My only advice would be, as you set out, build in the flexibility to adapt to the situation you meet. Don't book an unchangeable flight for 35 days after the start of the Camino. Give yourself a little (or a lot) of extra leeway. Maybe try and budget a bit of extra money in case you occasionally want to sleep in a hotel instead of an albergue. If everything goes as you picture it, you can spend the extra time and money you budgeted doing a little sightseeing in Spain, or walking to Finisterre. If things don't go as expected, you have more options to accommodate what you meet in the experience.

Hello Luc,

Congrats on your decision! I walked out of SJPdP exactly one year ago, more than 50 lbs overweight. Forty days after leaving, I walked into Santiago-- a bit lighter, and a lot more confident in newly discovered skills.

A month before leaving, I'd posted a similar question. The advice, support and kindness of people on this forum helped get me "over the hump" when I was questioning myself. You've been given some excellent advice here too.

You can do this! Walk your Camino, and have a life changing experience.

Ultreya!

Joe

Hello all pereginos,

Luc
Hi Luc, You've got lots of good advice here from fellow pilgrims. Walking poles should help A LOT. My suggestion is to increase your training between now and when you leave (I think your post said you don't leave for Camino til September?). You have months of good training ahead of you. Plan to do at least one 25 km walk a week in your training, along with your 3 10-15 kms walks. If you can manage the time, add in a few consecutive days (2 or even 3 days in a row of 20 km each) in July. Proper warm up exercises before, stretching during and after, are really important, to help prevent foot and leg issues. Then i suggest that you taper down your training from mid August, giving yourself a few weeks before September departure to rest a bit. I have found that the more time I devote to training beforehand, the more I enjoy my Caminos. I've done four long walking holidays in the last five years.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Luc,

Congrats on your decision! I walked out of SJPdP exactly one year ago, more than 50 lbs overweight. Forty days after leaving, I walked into Santiago-- a bit lighter, and a lot more confident in newly discovered skills.

A month before leaving, I'd posted a similar question. The advice, support and kindness of people on this forum helped get me "over the hump" when I was questioning myself. You've been given some excellent advice here too.

You can do this! Walk your Camino, and have a life changing experience.

Ultreya!

Joe

Good to hear from you again, Joe :)

Hello all pereginos,

Luc
Bonjour Luc. Tu ne dis pas quel mois tu vas marcher. In my opinion you are a very determined person. Aller Luc; Oser.

Hello all pereginos,

Luc
Keep walking. You will continue to get stronger. I saw someone in 2016 who was at least 100 lbs overweight and he did it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all pereginos,

Luc
Nobody but YOU will tell you how much to walk per day. You don’t have to do anything you don’t feel comfortable with. There is no law that says you have to walk that much. I certainly wont. Have trained 12km/day about 2-4times per week. Intend to walk in avg 10km/day. It’s not about how far and how many km u walk but about BEING there, enjoying and experiencing the Camino spirtit, culture, food n people

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.