• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fitness Plan Six Weeks Out for Camino Francés

Katherine Radeka

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2023)
Camino Portuguese (2024)
Hi! I had planned to walk the Camino Francés in 2018 but ended up injuring my knee in training and having to bail out. I'd really like to avoid that this time.

This time my husband is joining me, and he has low tolerance for pain. Walking to get into shape on the Camino isn't an option as he'd probably quit if he's that uncomfortable. We plan to start on May 4 from SJPP, and we've already booked Orisson to break up that first long stage.

So we've been training on the weekends since November by very slowly increasing distance, elevation and pack weight. So far, so good: no joint pain, no blisters. But training during the week has proven to be nearly impossible with my schedule and his. I think we've managed one short midweek walk.

Our longest walk so far was two weeks ago, 18 km. Then we started splitting the distance between Sat / Sun: last week we walked 7 km on Sat and then 14 km on Sunday. Highest elevation has been 1600' with fully loaded packs.

We effectively have four weekends left to train because the weekend before we leave is super-busy with events, and then we fly out the following weekend. So the current plan has us going 2.5 weeks between our last hiking weekend and the start of the Camino.

We're now about six weeks out and I'd like to check in with some experienced folks on what else / how much more we should do.

Questions:
--What do you think our longest walk / max elevation should be before we leave?
--Should we try to get some training in on city streets / asphalt paths?
--Should we try to get new boots or insoles before we leave (we have about 500 miles on the boots we have now)?
--If we can add only one midweek walk, should we try to do it on Friday to increase number of consecutive days?
--Should we take an extra day off to do another walk to compensate for the weekend that we're busy?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do you have 4 consecutive days in which you can walk at least 12 km? (16 would be better though)
It's important to know how your feet handle walking a long distance over several consecutive days. People who say that they never get blisters during weekend hikes often will have problems when their feet are subjected to walking day after day.

We're now about six weeks out and I'd like to check in with some experienced folks on what else / how much more we should do.

Questions:
--Should we try to get new boots or insoles before we leave (we have about 500 miles on the boots we have now)?
--If we can add only one midweek walk, should we try to do it on Friday to increase number of consecutive days?
--Should we take an extra day off to do another walk to compensate for the weekend that we're busy?

I'll be starting out from SJPP two days after you and am also entering that "home stretch" of pre-Camino prep, so will be following this thread with interest. (Slightly envious that you seem to have elevation options for training where you live - those are nonexistent here in flat New Orleans, and there's only so much I can do on staircases and treadmills.) Buen Camino to you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll be starting out from SJPP two days after you and am also entering that "home stretch" of pre-Camino prep, so will be following this thread with interest. (Slightly envious that you seem to have elevation options for training where you live - those are nonexistent here in flat New Orleans, and there's only so much I can do on staircases and treadmills.) Buen Camino to you!
We live at over 7,200 ft and the highest we will be on the Argonnes this year will be about 3,900 feet in elevation. In some ways living at elevation it is an advantage, but training of any kind is valuable no matter what elevation you live at! Still many (like us) have walked with very little training and its still ok. Just take it easy and know that you will be sore and tired at the end of the first few days no matter what. Some of the most fit people I know have injured themselves early in the game by pressing their bodies too hard.

Hi! I had planned to walk the Camino Francés in 2018 but ended up injuring my knee in training and having to bail out. I'd really like to avoid that this time.

This time my husband is joining me, and he has low tolerance for pain. Walking to get into shape on the Camino isn't an option as he'd probably quit if he's that uncomfortable. We plan to start on May 4 from SJPP, and we've already booked Orisson to break up that first long stage.

So we've been training on the weekends since November by very slowly increasing distance, elevation and pack weight. So far, so good: no joint pain, no blisters. But training during the week has proven to be nearly impossible with my schedule and his. I think we've managed one short midweek walk.

Our longest walk so far was two weeks ago, 18 km. Then we started splitting the distance between Sat / Sun: last week we walked 7 km on Sat and then 14 km on Sunday. Highest elevation has been 1600' with fully loaded packs.

We effectively have four weekends left to train because the weekend before we leave is super-busy with events, and then we fly out the following weekend. So the current plan has us going 2.5 weeks between our last hiking weekend and the start of the Camino.

Questions:

fitness in preparation for Camino is a positive thing to do, but you need to be deliberate about how you proceed. You have enough time to make a significant increase from where you are now, without frantically pushing yourself too hard and beyond your body's ability to recuperate from each exercise session. That same deliberation will help prevent injury as well. Be consistent and patient. If you would like other more specific guidelines and suggestions, send me a PM. :)

This is a guide I had posted a while back.

As to training, there are really two different parts to focus on:
1. Cardiovascular fitness.
2. Muscle strengthening.

Cardiovascular fitness is the ability for your heart and lungs to supply oxygenated blood to your muscles during exercise under load, and your muscles ability to use that oxygen efficiently so they can produce energy.

Exercises should be used which will allow you to hit a target heart rate zone, over a for a period of time during exercising, which provides the needed aerobic effort for conditioning. This is a website which will help you calculate what your target heart rate zones will be.

https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitness/resources/target-heart-rate-calculator

Treadmills at incline, running, walking at a faster than normal pace, walking up hills, rowing machines, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts, riding a bicycle at a faster than normal pace, swimming, etc. are all examples of effective aerobic exercises when used to achieve target heart rates.

Keep in mind that as your fitness level improves, it will take a more sustained effort to hit the same heart rate zones. That is why using target zones is so effective. They don't change relative to fitness level. Someone extremely out of shape does not exercise as hard as someone who is extremely fit to reach their target.

Muscle strength is a function of how much maximum force your muscles can exert against resistance. Exercises for strength will also provide a temporary aerobic effect, but the main goal is to increase your capability to function while under resistance.

Think about having to lift the weight of your body, with a pack, with each step going up the Pyrenees. Or being able to lift and carry a load. Or the constant resistance of your body weight and pack to your shoulders and to the 'core' muscles in your back and abdomen.

Some basic strengthening exercises for home include push-ups, lunges, squats and planks. A google search will show you the way to do these exercises.

Other conditioning issues involve things like ankles, feet, and flexibility. Do a search on this forum for posts about exercises to help prevent shin splints and to help prevent plantars fasciitis.

As your departure date nears and you've been involved in your fitness regimen for the next 6 weeks or so, rather than your routine exercise schedule, put on the clothing and footwear you will be using on Camino, load up your pack, and spend the next several days in a row walking. See how you feel and at what pace you are able to best sustain yourself. That will give you a baseline estimate to calculate logistical issues surrounding the question of how many days it may take to walk your Camino.

More than anything else, enjoy the entire process of getting ready for Camino. Write down your reasons for doing your camino: list your personal goals for doing Camino, and what type of experience you are hoping for. If you become discouraged with your preparations, or feel anxious and overwhelmed, or get a bit of cold feet about leaving home for the camino, or simply to refresh your resolve anew, review what you have written to yourself.

Last edited:
This time my husband is joining me, and he has low tolerance for pain. Walking to get into shape on the Camino isn't an option as he'd probably quit if he's that uncomfortable.
Before you leave you two should discuss what you will do if one of you doesn't want to continue but the other does.

Besides the obvious of one or both of you going home a possibility would be a bailout plan where the non-walker takes a course in Spanish or cooking or something. Or a stay behind cultural exploration of a city for a few days before moving ahead to join the walker at another city or large town.

This doesn't respond to your question, I'm sorry. From what you said it looks to me that there may a fair possibility that this may happen and a calm discussion of this at home looks better for everyone than a louder discussion in an albergue.

I do, though, wish a buen camino to you both.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wear the footwear and sock combination you plan on walking the Camino with and just walk. Walk and walk and walk. Don't over complicate it. Do some stretching before and afterwards and if you are overweight lose some weight. As much as possible.
If you have had since November and still aren't in shape and leaving in six weeks, you definitely want to pack as light as possible. Walking the Camino won't beat you into shape if you cannot walk any of it in the first place.

Questions:

My suggestions is that you do what you can - personally I've never managed to do continuous days of long walking before a camino. I'm sure that it would help but as someone who struggles in "real life" to exercise, I'm happy if I can start a camino having done some work on the cross trainer and stairs. My aim is to be generally fit. Prior to a camino I will try to get out walking using all my gear, and carrying my backpack. It is more to check that everything is comfortable than training. Finding and fixing any rubbing spots, shoe problems, choice of walking clothes.

Specifically I would not be buying new shoes if the ones you have are comfortable. They sound as if they have plenty of life. If your feet are happy in what you have, then I would stick to them. Perhaps take an alternative in case you get blisters; that is the one contingency hard to predict without walking long distances over consecutive days - as @trecile says. To give your feet a rest from the boots in the evening you will need alternative footwear anyway. Perhaps look at something that could be used for walking if necessary. I would go for open toed walking sandals as the most blister friendly choice - something that has a sturdy hiking sole. I don't ever get blisters between my toes, but I often walk with someone who does - she loves toed socks in open sandals.

Before you leave you two should discuss what you will do if one of you doesn't want to continue but the other does.

Besides the obvious of one or both of you going home a possibility would be a bailout plan where the non-walker takes a course in Spanish or cooking or something. Or a stay behind cultural exploration of a city for a few days before moving ahead to join the walker at another city or large town.

This doesn't respond to your question, I'm sorry. From what you said it looks to me that there may a fair possibility that this may happen and a calm discussion of this at home looks better for everyone than a louder discussion in an albergue.

I do, though, wish a buen camino to you both.

We've already talked about that . . . his bailout plan is to book an AirBnB someplace in Spain and taunt me with the cafes con leches and vinos tintos he's enjoying while I walk 😁

But I also know him well after 30 years and I think he's actually decided to do it. Which is why I want to make sure we're prepared.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, we're fortunate to live at the mouth of the Columbia Gorge so lots of options for hill training. The downside is that we have to carry all of our water and food for the day for the type of trails we like to do. No fountains in wilderness areas. Since you'll probably faster, I'm sure we'll cross paths.

Do you have 4 consecutive days in which you can walk at least 12 km? (16 would be better though)
It's important to know how your feet handle walking a long distance over several consecutive days. People who say that they never get blisters during weekend hikes often will have problems when their feet are subjected to walking day after day.
Thank you. I think we'll plan to do this over Easter weekend - we can both take extra time that week (and seems appropriate somehow to do a "mini pilgrimage" that weekend).

Questions:
Really just go on as long of a walk as you can fit into your schedule - at least once a week. Back to back is even better. At home, I get up early every Sunday and walk from my house to my husbands work - which is 17.25 miles from home (27.7 km). The rest of the week I do a loop around my neighborhood trails which is just about 6 miles (9.6km). Practice with a half filled pack then a fully filled pack. Don't forget to stay hydrated!

Definitely train on different surfaces and elevations as possible. I don't have much opportunity for inclines and descents myself - But I do get to walk on sidewalks, asphault, dirt, gravel, and even the rocks that line either side of the railroad tracks that I follow to my husbands work. There are lots of uneven rocky surfaces along the Camino.

How many miles have you put on in your boots in one day? Are they comfortable for 12km plus days? What about 20-30km days? I assume they are broken in, but do they till have plenty of traction? I no longer like boots for long distance hikes myself.

If you can take the extra day off to hike, go ahead. But if you can't - you should be fine. I think the biggest factor to success is really just listending to your body as you go. I think you said you reserved Orisson which is great. From there - go to Roncesvalles and rest for the night. And for the next few days - don't attempt to go beyond the "stage" as you acclimate your body. If you need to stop before the next stage - do it. Go your pace. Rest when your body tells you to rest. I think most injuries in any sort of hike like this is because people are pushing too fast and too far those first few days. It isn't a race!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Our group was older guys and we trained 6 days a week, 3 hiking with progressive weight in packs, added hills, then steeper hills.
On non-hike days we did exercise biking, swimming, resistance bands. In really bad weather, or really hot(85+ degrees F) we walked in parking garages to limit sun exposure and those garages are warmer in winter and cooler in summer.
We made it to Santiago but Covid struck in March 2020, so we had to cancel our stage SDC to Finisterre to Muxia back to SDC.
But, hey, we got to go and got home fine, with some interesting twists and stories
Buen Camino.

Questions:
Join a gym and train during the week.

Questions:

fitness in preparation for Camino is a positive thing to do, but you need to be deliberate about how you proceed. You have enough time to make a significant increase from where you are now, without frantically pushing yourself too hard and beyond your body's ability to recuperate from each exercise session. That same deliberation will help prevent injury as well. Be consistent and patient. If you would like other more specific guidelines and suggestions, send me a PM. :)

2. Muscle strengthening.

Cardiovascular fitness is the ability for your heart and lungs to supply oxygenated blood to your muscles during exercise under load, and your muscles ability to use that oxygen efficiently so they can produce energy.

Exercises should be used which will allow you to hit a target heart rate zone, over a for a period of time during exercising, which provides the needed aerobic effort for conditioning. This is a website which will help you calculate what your target heart rate zones will be.

Treadmills at incline, running, walking at a faster than normal pace, walking up hills, rowing machines, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) workouts, riding a bicycle at a faster than normal pace, swimming, etc. are all examples of effective aerobic exercises when used to achieve target heart rates.

Keep in mind that as your fitness level improves, it will take a more sustained effort to hit the same heart rate zones. That is why using target zones is so effective. They don't change relative to fitness level. Someone extremely out of shape does not exercise as hard as someone who is extremely fit to reach their target.

Muscle strength is a function of how much maximum force your muscles can exert against resistance. Exercises for strength will also provide a temporary aerobic effect, but the main goal is to increase your capability to function while under resistance.

Think about having to lift the weight of your body, with a pack, with each step going up the Pyrenees. Or being able to lift and carry a load. Or the constant resistance of your body weight and pack to your shoulders and to the 'core' muscles in your back and abdomen.

Some basic strengthening exercises for home include push-ups, lunges, squats and planks. A google search will show you the way to do these exercises.

Other conditioning issues involve things like ankles, feet, and flexibility. Do a search on this forum for posts about exercises to help prevent shin splints and to help prevent plantars fasciitis.

As your departure date nears and you've been involved in your fitness regimen for the next 6 weeks or so, rather than your routine exercise schedule, put on the clothing and footwear you will be using on Camino, load up your pack, and spend the next several days in a row walking. See how you feel and at what pace you are able to best sustain yourself. That will give you a baseline estimate to calculate logistical issues surrounding the question of how many days it may take to walk your Camino.

More than anything else, enjoy the entire process of getting ready for Camino. Write down your reasons for doing your camino: list your personal goals for doing Camino, and what type of experience you are hoping for. If you become discouraged with your preparations, or feel anxious and overwhelmed, or get a bit of cold feet about leaving home for the camino, or simply to refresh your resolve anew, review what you have written to yourself.

Just strap your backpack on and go out and walk. Enjoy the weather and the nature and the natural tiredness that comes with walking a long distance. Don't overthink it :)

2. Muscle strengthening.

So very helpful- and reassuring! I'm a month out from leaving for my Camino..excited but nervous about fitness level. This is really constructive advice. Thanks

My first Camino… I didn’t have much time to train as I was working full time. I think I did a few 8 km walks as training…
I was fine. Walked from St Jean to Roncesvalles in one day.
Mind you, I was 10 years younger then.
Now, post Covid, I do worry. (And 10 years older!).I plan on taking it easy the first week and hope for the best 😉

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Questions:
My two cents: Great idea to wear a loaded pack on your walks. Don’t be overly concerned about miles walked on specific days. Nor do you need to be overly concerned about doing really, really long walks prior to your Camino. If you can consistently do 30-40 miles per week (48-65km) you will be very prepared for the Camino👍

My two cents: Great idea to wear a loaded pack on your walks. Don’t be overly concerned about miles walked on specific days. Nor do you need to be overly concerned about doing really, really long walks prior to your Camino. If you can consistently do 30-40 miles per week (48-65km) you will be very prepared for the Camino👍
Whew! Very reassuring.. thanjs so much for your valuable two cents!

Another thought- If training is being hampered by your schedules try using a home treadmill and/or stationary bike to supplement your training.
As a last point incorporate core strengthening exercises which is so vital to walking.
None of the above would require you leaving the house and could be accomplished while watching television, reading a book or just before going to bed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is worth going up and down stairs several times to improve your heart and lungs and it will also help you on the way out/up of SJPdP - hold on to the banister on the way down to save a mishap if you get too tired!

I don’t think it’s at all necessary to hike further than about 10 miles/16 km in order to be ready for the Camino. What’s much more important than distance hiking, and a much more efficient use of time, is to work on cardio and weight training, as @davebugg and others point out. Obviously, you need to do some hiking, but it takes a lot more time to achieve results. I do all three every week, with quite a few hikes in the 8-10 mile range, but I have plenty of free time.

Also, the type of hiking that I do, and which it sounds like you also do, on rough trails with lots of hills, is a lot more strenuous than much of the Camino, which is a lot of smooth gravel tracks and country lanes. There are a few notable exceptions, of course. Yes, some walks on asphalt or gravel would be good. When I do them, the miles are very quick and easy compared to the boulder hopping, clambering over windfalls, and scaling mountains that I do on trails around here. Don’t worry about altitude; it isn’t a factor on the Camino. Hill climbing is a factor, but not altitude. If you can do a 1,000’ climb without too much problem, I think you’re good.

a calm discussion of this at home looks better for everyone than a louder discussion in an albergue.

So true, so true. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Also, the type of hiking that I do, and which it sounds like you also do, on rough trails with lots of hills, is a lot more strenuous than much of the Camino, which is a lot of smooth gravel tracks and country lanes. There are a few notable exceptions, of course. Yes, some walks on asphalt or gravel would be good. When I do them, the miles are very quick and easy compared to the boulder hopping, clambering over windfalls, and scaling mountains that I do on trails around here. Don’t worry about altitude; it isn’t a factor on the Camino. Hill climbing is a factor, but not altitude. If you can do a 1,000’ climb without too much problem, I think you’re good.

This is reassuring! The trails near us are remote, narrow, steep and rocky —we bring extra food, water, clothing, etc. in case something goes wrong and we end up with an impromptu sleepover. So I think we'll be fine from the perspective of hills and pack weight.

More worried about distance and consecutive days at this point, but my husband's personal trainer gave us sets of warm up / trail reset / cool down exercises that have really helped with recovery on back-to-back days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.