• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

fitness

Eric1985

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi im walking the camino from st. Jean the 25th of this month. Im 30 years old male. I had been doing some trainingabout 10k a night about 4 times a week. But due to one thing or another I haven't been able to do anything for about 4 weeks. Im starting to get a bit worried that I might not be fit enough to complete it. Has anyone got any advice

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Start slow and let your body build. You'll gain speed later on. If you don't think you'll be fit enough, I suggest taking the Valcarlos route since you can overnight there to break up the trek to Roncesvalles. That said, if you are a normally healthy 30 year old, you should have no problem with the first stage. After that, you'll build up endurance.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You will be fine!! Please start slow and let yourself build up naturally. The biggest threat that you face will be in trying to do too much too soon. There is a huge difference in our bodies ability to do something for a day or two and its ability to do it day after day after day. We older people don't usually have as much trouble accepting that, but sometimes younger ones do. You are definitely on the right track as you are questioning yourself and not jumping in with an attitude of invincibility. Buen Camino Eric.

Hi im walking the camino from st. Jean the 25th of this month. Im 30 years old male. I had been doing some trainingabout 10k a night about 4 times a week. But due to one thing or another I haven't been able to do anything for about 4 weeks. Im starting to get a bit worried that I might not be fit enough to complete it. Has anyone got any advice

Eric:

As others have said, start slowly and ease your body into daily walking shape is important. That said, equal or more attention should be given to your feet. There is no reason to get blisters. If you feel a hot spot or friction, stop and attend to it immediately. I am always amazed at how bad some Pilgrims foot blisters get. You can get blisters walking slow or fast. There is a lot of good information in the forum on blister prevention. The Camino will take care of the rest.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks for the advice I will take it all in. I hear the first day is pretty hard going I was thinking about breaking it into 2 days. What u think ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great idea. Orisson is such a friendly place. Staying there (and having dinner) sets the stage for getting to know people that will be in and out of your life thruout your journey. Making that decision (and reservation) also sets you on that "slow and steady" routine that will pay off later.

I walked it twice from SJPdP to SDC in my fifties with no prior preparation or training. No problems.
At thirty you should be able to practically jog the whole thing, and no need to break up the first section from SJPdP to Roncesvalles into two sections. It's not that bad.
cheers

If you want to do that, you'll almost certainly have to go the Valcarlos route -- Orisson is usually booked about 3 months in advance (you can check with them, of course). The Valcarlos route is quite nice too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will wait an make a decision on it closer to the time I have time put aside for at least one rest day a week. So looking forward to it now. I suppose my big worry was that I got so tired doing it I wouldn't enjoy it. Just haveto remind myself it's not a race.

Eric, I am 60. I've been walking from St. Jean for 6 days now. I trained some but did nothing notable for ten days prior to starting. I stopped in Orisson the first night then went through Roncesvalles to Burgette the second night. I am now in Ayegui, just past Estella.

You will probably do just fine!

Start slowly my friend and pack light.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Eric, I am 60. I've been walking from St. Jean for 6 days now. I trained some but did nothing notable for ten days prior to starting. I stopped in Orisson the first night then went through Roncesvalles to Burgette the second night. I am now in Ayegui, just past Estella.

You will probably do just fine!

Suzanne S, you are going well considering you stopped at Orisson the first night. Good luck, and please be mindful of how sneakily fatigue and muscle strain can creep up on you, even when you feel good

Buen Camino

Eric, I booked Orisson about a week ago for early June and they still had a spot, so you might get lucky! Worth an email to check.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Im just go to go at my own pace and take it all in. I will take breaks when needed. Sometimes I cant believe im doing this cant wait. If you have any more advice like about places to stay or anything u would like to share that might help me im all ears.

Suzanne S, you are going well considering you stopped at Orisson the first night. Good luck, and please be mindful of how sneakily fatigue and muscle strain can creep up on you, even when you feel good

Buen Camino
Yes! Today was a long day from Ayegui to Sansul. Tomorrow will be shorter to Logronos... And I already have a reservation at a hostel. Time to rest a bit!

Enjoy TE="Suzanne S., post: 301240, member: 38278"]Yes! Today was a long day from Ayegui to Sansul. Tomorrow will be shorter to Logronos... And I already have a reservation at a hostel. Time to rest a bit![/QUOTE]
Enjo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Eric1985! I'm in the same boat! I hike every weekend (or at least try to!) but the farthest hike I've done is about 12 miles RT. I plan on walking through to Roncesvalles from SJPP even if it takes me forever. I hike pretty slow but I'm usually good about making the distance I set myself out to hit. I'm sure you'll be fine! But then again, I've never been. I just have faith that I'll be okay and it sounds like you're a bit more in shape than I am haha so I think you'll be fine too! When do you start?

JoThanks post: 301372 said:
Hi Eric1985! I'm in the same boat! I hike every weekend (or at least try to!) but the farthest hike I've done is about 12 miles RT. I plan on walking through to Roncesvalles from SJPP even if it takes me forever. I hike pretty slow but I'm usually good about making the distance I set myself out to hit. I'm sure you'll be fine! But then again, I've never been. I just have faith that I'll be okay and it sounds like you're a bit more in shape than I am haha so I think you'll be fine too! When do you start?
Hi josie. Thanks for your taughts. I hope to be in st. Jean 25th of may and start the 26th. When do u start ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I fly into Paris on the 30th of May and am hoping to begin walking on the 2nd of June from St. Jean. I'll be about a week behind you!

Buen Camino!

Josie8post: 301379 said:
I fly into Paris on the 30th of May and am hoping to begin walking on the 2nd of June from St. Jean. I'll be about a week behind you!

Buen Camino!

Buen Camino!
Thats a pity. Are u walking it alone? Are paths might cross along the way. Where you flying in from?

I plan to walk it alone. Well not alone, alone haha. I plan to walk it with friends I make along the way! I walk pretty slow though so I'm pretty sure I'll just be meeting up with everyone as I stroll into town waaaay after everyone haha. I'm flying from LAX. you?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Eric, in another thread regarding Camino preparation a young woman wrote "I fell off the couch onto the Camino and I made it to Santiago" - I still think the way she worded her lack of preparation very funny. As a young guy you are going to be tempted to do too much too fast - as stated above by many others, force yourself to take it slow at first. Buen Camino!

Just celebrated my 69th birthday and will be starting on 27 May from Oloron-Sainte-Marie and crossing the Pyrenees at Somport. I might see some of you as I join up with the CF in Puenta la Reina around 10 June. This is not my first Camino and I have been a total slacker regarding my training this year, so it will be a slow and easy start as I begin climbing the mountains.

[QUJosie86, post: 301385, member: 42759"]I plan to walk it alone. Well not alone, alone haha. I plan to walk it with friends I make along the way! I walk pretty slow though so I'm pretty sure I'll just be meeting up with everyone as I stroll into town waaaay after everyone haha. I'm flying from LAX. you?[/QUOTE]
Im leaving from ireland. My email is ericm699@gmail.com. I can u send u some details of how im getting on since I will be a week ahead of u.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just celebrated my 69th birthday and will be starting on 27 May from Oloron-Sainte-Marie and crossing the Pyrenees at Somport. I might see some of you as I join up with the CF in Puenta la Reina around 10 June. This is not my first Camino and I have been a total slacker regarding my training this year, so it will be a slow and easy start as I begin climbing the mountains.
Cool we might cross paths

Where in Southern California do you live. I live in Long Beach and am thinking I may start my Camino walk in Sarria, in September or October.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
:cool::p:p
I found it interesting that all the people with injuries the first week seemed to be 30 & younger. Most was not due to weight but rather foot issues from poorly fit shoes or blisters that were not tended to early enough. Then it was the knee or bone issues. So I would suggest simple things. At first stop every hour & sit down. Pull your socks off check your feet. Within 4 hours you will know where the tender spots are.
Drink water at every stop
Don't try to walk 20-40k every day in the begining you have to learn your body respect it.
If you get knee pain go to the pharmacia & get a brace That day.

After 2 weeks you can try to catch up to the girls who left you in the dust

When I used to backpack, I would wear silk socks under my wool socks, which prevented blisters. You can also put some Vaseline on the bottom of your feet, which helps to prevent blisters.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back