• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

fitting boots sized up

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I'd like some more input on boot fitting suggestions every one has had
I know my feet, and I will be wearing light weight hiking boots Mid levels
my current boots are years (decades) old so I have been looking at options. Some of my favorites, like one of the Zamberlan styles, aren't even made any more

In general, people are suggesting getting a pair from 1/2 to 1 size up to accommodate foot swelling/ spread.
However, as I try on boots, yes in the evening at the end of the day, I struggle to interpret the boot for that future swelling
so questions: do you wear three pairs of socks to mimic a bigger foot?
In fitting the extra size, it seems the heel cup or toe length or width as not all proportionately bigger. so which is more important?
how can you be sure this bigger boot won't be the source of blisters, since obviously, I am usually fitting a boot to PREVENT blisters

I have varied lacing systems to try and sink my heel back in the bigger size but still feel a slip with my sock system
talk me through this?
nanc

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here's what I do...

Go shopping at the end of a day on your feet. Find a pair of boots that seems really comfortable, and the right shape for your foot. That's your model. Then try the next size up - how does that feel? Sometimes it is equally good. If so, try the next size up. Once you get to "too big", try that one with different socks or double socks and make a judgement. Finally, if you aren't sure (and after checking the store's return policy) take both candidates to a shopping mall for a brisk walk - try one pair, the other pair, one of each, the other of each, each for 15 minutes or more. Take another pair of socks to test.

In the end, I wear the same size for the Camino as for walking around at home. It is the roomiest shoe I can wear, that fits without my foot moving around too much. I use a single pair of medium-thin socks. That works best for me; in the past I have had blisters on the bottom of my foot from too-thick socks that allowed friction. Adjusting the laces is all I need to do during a day on the Camino.

If your current boots are decades old, I'm not sure how you can know what will work best for you. Keep an open mind, and understand that they should be comfortable right away, out of the box. You still need to "break them in" but that is for issues that may only arise after 20 km of walking.

Good luck!:)

I'd like some more input on boot fitting suggestions every one has had
I know my feet, and I will be wearing light weight hiking boots Mid levels
my current boots are years (decades) old so I have been looking at options. Some of my favorites, like one of the Zamberlan styles, aren't even made any more

In general, people are suggesting getting a pair from 1/2 to 1 size up to accommodate foot swelling/ spread.
However, as I try on boots, yes in the evening at the end of the day, I struggle to interpret the boot for that future swelling
so questions: do you wear three pairs of socks to mimic a bigger foot?
In fitting the extra size, it seems the heel cup or toe length or width as not all proportionately bigger. so which is more important?
how can you be sure this bigger boot won't be the source of blisters, since obviously, I am usually fitting a boot to PREVENT blisters

I have varied lacing systems to try and sink my heel back in the bigger size but still feel a slip with my sock system
talk me through this?
nanc
There will probably be a million answers to this, but there is a brilliant video on the website of "Go Outdoors" (a UK-wide outdoor gear chain). Google them, then go to the walking boots section, and you'll be able to find the fitting video. best I've seen.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, you could always do what I did -- buy multiple pairs of styles in alternative sizes. I'm going to embarrass myself and attach a picture of my contenders (minus the ones I had already returned....) Some I ruled out immediately. For the most likely ones, wear them around the house for several hours with the socks you want to wear. Return the losers to the store or online vendors. Thank goodness for free return postage from the online vendors....

I settled on Solomon's women's mid-rise boots in my normal size, wearing only one pair of SmartWool PhD mid-weight socks.

good luck!PB090527.JPG

Well, you could always do what I did -- buy multiple pairs of styles in alternative sizes. I'm going to embarrass myself and attach a picture of my contenders (minus the ones I had already returned....) Some I ruled out immediately. For the most likely ones, wear them around the house for several hours with the socks you want to wear. Return the losers to the store or online vendors. Thank goodness for free return postage from the online vendors....

I settled on Solomon's women's mid-rise boots in my normal size, wearing only one pair of SmartWool PhD mid-weight socks.

good luck!View attachment 23873

I just got the same - second from left - salomon boots. Loving how light they are. I have gone up more than one size, but I think I have been bying small shoes all my life because I love the roomy feeling. Do you have some special insoles in them or am I just seing things?

I just got the same - second from left - salomon boots. Loving how light they are. I have gone up more than one size, but I think I have been bying small shoes all my life because I love the roomy feeling. Do you have some special insoles in them or am I just seing things?
Yup, those are the ones I chose. And yes, you are seeing my orthotic insert. I started putting them under the insole, though. Based on the advice of others, I'm also going to see whether I should switch to a different orthotic for the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Put your foot into the boot wearing the socks you intend to wear, push your foot forward in the boot until your big toe touches the front of the boot, you should then be able to fit two fingers between your heel and the back of the boot. This should allow for you feet to expand. This is how I was shown how to fit boots in my local outdoor store.
Buen Camino.

If you're in the US buy them at REI - free exchange for a year. You can wear them for several weeks or months and take them back for another pair with no hassle. First time I bought 1 1/2 size shoe (Keen's) bigger than usual but was still having trouble at the end of a several mile hike with slipping and my toes hitting the front (especially my second toe, which is longer than the rest). My chiropractor told me I needed to get an insert (Super Feet) to keep my heel from slipping forward. When I went back to REI to get them. the sales person told me I needed a bigger size. I'm now 2 sizes larger than usual. I wear medium to heavy Thorlo socks with a thin liner and they are just right now. I've also learned to tie my shoes for a tighter fit at the top, looser at the bottom.

RE lacing. There are many answers to this questions and just as many techniques. But all attempt to put a cinch point mid way up the laces such that you can tighten up the laces around the upper foot and ankle while leaving the toe box laces as slack.
The method that I use was taught to me by a gracious hospitalaera at Cizur Menor. I lace up 2 holes leaving the very first lace with an obviously slack loop. This was the "signal lace". If I ever saw that lace tighten, it was time to rework the boot.
At the third lace, instead of just crossing the laces as normal, the two laces were twisted in a "double overhand" as if you were starting to tie up your laces before putting in a bow x2. The next lace was a 1/2 lace where the left lace stayed on the left side and the right lace stayed on the right side but hooked around each other. This was the cinch lace that gave excellent ankle holding power. Finally the upper lace was hooked around the uppermost hole from top to bottom such that the bow would end up between the upper and 2nd lace..

I know this is impossibly awkward to describe in writing and a picture would be worth a thousand words, but I don't have a very good picture of my boot at the moment. I've tried to include one below....but it's probably too grainy to understand the conceptBoot.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.