• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fitting my backpack

Pieces

Veteran Member
I bought an Osprey Tallon 44 and am very happy with it. I can easily carry what I want to bring on the sholders, but figured the hipbelt is there for a reason.

Now, twice, when I have been out training I have ended up with bad pains in my hips pulling down towards my knee, and somewhat towards the butt, like the muscle contracts in my leg. Both instances I have walked with my pack using the hipbelt. Also, I was just walking this evening for a short distance and noticed that while it still hurt quite bad I could make the pain almost go away entirely by walking with a lot more swing in my hips and but and keeping the shoulders back.

Therefore I am assuming that I am adjusting the hip belt in a way that constricts my normal gait which would probably be somewhere in between.

I was googling, but i really need the idiots picture drawn here, as most of the sites just say "adjust the hipbelt" not exactly where and how tight or if this is a common problem. And as I am leaving in less than a week, I cannot really afford toexperiment much, but I assume I could turn the camino portuguese into the worlds longest catwalk should all else fail :lol:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
well, slightly nervous, it has had me imobilised for weeks recently as well as change my camino from primitivo to portuguese, but I will be on that plane come sunday even if i have to crawl onboard :D

Until then I will spend my time reading your link, very informative :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There could be several things going on here. One is loading--women should load their packs just a little differently from men as we are constructed a little differently. Weighty items should be closest to your back and above the hips. Everything needs to be compressed and close to your body so that the load is tight and not wobbly--like a turtle--your pack is your shell. Second, it is important that weight be balanced on both sides too. An imbalanced pack or one improperly loaded will cause back problems. Third is to adjust the shoulder and hip tensions to see if changing the way your shoulders and hips are carrying the pack makes a difference. The hip belt should really be around the crest of your hip bones rather than around your hips--it should not interfere with how you walk. Is there a hiking store near you with folks who can help you? An REI or other store where people know how to load a pack? You can also look on line for examples and you-tube. I have an Osprey and I love it but if it is not correctly packed, I can only imagine the discomfort.

I watched a woman struggling with her pack on the Camino but when I came up to her to help, she was indignant. She had stuff hanging off of it, it was clearly not balanced because one side was higher than the other, and she had the hip belt pulled real tight and yet the shoulders were hanging loose. She was going to be one hurtin buckeroo but clearly did not want anyone telling her anything.

Buen Camino! After all the struggles, you are due!

This video has a good demo for fitting backpacks for women: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLCM_3RjuA&feature=related

This video from Osprey has some good tips for loading the pack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0mRmiuHSbY

Osprey makes good packs, and pack selection is as individual as feet and shoes or boots. When I was trying on packs, I found the Osprey Talon series to have very light weight but very minimal padding, especially on the hip belt. So I selected the Osprey Kestrel instead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7VAVNoyvDg&feature=related

Do you have hip bones? When hiking the 65 pound pack weight is on mine hip bones. Now mine dad don't have the hip bones like I do so he get the hip belt the best he can. I would try letting the pack top go back little to get the hip belt tke more of the weight. In mine case all weight is on the hips and the should belts is to keep the top of the pack steight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
thanks guys. I will try and tamper with it some more.

It actually does feel real comfortable nice snug fit and I dont really feel like i have anything on my back or that it constricts me in any way, only thing is that every time Ive been using the hipbelt I have been in severe pain (further down not where the belt is fastened) it is all very odd, it is less than 6 kilos too :(

Here's an idea to try. Put on your pack and scrunch your shoulders upward. While your shoulders are up, fasten and tighten your hip belt. Then drop your shoulders to normal and adjust the shoulder straps to be snug enough. This might make the pack ride on a slightly different place on your body. And fasten the chest strap.
Good luck resolving this issue.
Nancy

Apart from fitting your pack so that the hip belt takes the weight and the shoulder straps are to hold it secure, which is how I was told mine should fit, there is one other possibility. Some time ago I was told that forcing the pace at which you walk can strain your hip joints and cause pain. This is why it can sometimes be difficult to walk with a group or partner.
Are you simply trying to walk to fast with your pack on? If walking slower helps then adjust your speed to suit. After a while you will probably speed up again, but not to the 'packless' walking speed.
It is maybe something to do with length of stride, rolling along etc rather than short quick steps etc so what you say about the way you walk makes sense.
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I went to the store today and had them help, and I think I definitely had it too low, I think now it is sat about where it would be by Nancys advice :)

also, maybe I do walk faster with the pack Tia, the day before i walked a leisurely 7 km without as an on the spur of the moment evening thing with no problems at all, even if i did go running in the morning and had been for a workout, but i think i did walk slower as I was just walking along...

I think it is probably a combo, hip belt restriction and pace :shock:

so hoping it will gt better I will roll my hips and limit the hipbelt use so as people will think i am a ship on the camino :lol:

that is if everything between my knees and my neck will stop hurting :|

Rule of thumb when training you run 1 mile in 15 mins. It 1.6 km for you in 15 min or less. 4 time around the track. I would get down to 13 mins then I know to be ready. By running this it will tell you where you are at in training. When walking with pack maybe put a brick or two to make it heavier so the pack will break in faster and will be lighter in your mind when you do the trail. Plus if it on flat ground you are not using the muscle that will be used climb the hills. Walk the stair with the pack sometimes. Plus walk slow. Walk like you climbing a rocky trail one step at time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.