• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flamenco along the Way?

nreyn12

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked (2005) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010) (2011) (2012) (2013) (2014) (2015); Guide 2013-2016
I know Flamenco is found mostly in the south, say in Sevilla, but has anyone come across a Flamenco show along the Camino Frances? Maybe in one of the larger cities?

Thanks,
Nancy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have not seen any Flamenco along the Camino....but then again I wasn't looking. :wink:
I have traveled quite a bit in other parts of Spain over the years and Flamenco is very popular in most tourist areas like Madrid, Seville, etc.

I would think that one would find some in Leon or Burgos. Try to google it it those places.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The real flamenco will NOT be found in the touristy places. The things you see there is commercial and tacky. For the genuine stuff you will have to go to Andalucia. The genuine flamenco is a much more private affair. Cities like Jerez de la Frontera, Cadiz and Granada are known for flamenco.

This is a link I posted yesterday on my FB....

"Duende".....!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX2iszWw ... ture=share

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't know if you can call it "real" flamenco, but when we were staying at the big albergue in León, we saw some.

We went down to the benches in front of the entrance for a smoke, where some gypsies started gathering. I think they lived in the nearby flats. Two had guitars with them, some others were joining them from the sporting tracks that are next to the albergue. There were some women with them also with children.

They were too young to play good flamenco, but tried anyway, and it was a real, spontaneous evening. They were singing, clapping and there was some shy dance from the ladies too. No flashy flamenco clothes, though. We really enjoyed it. We also chatted with some of the guys.

It was a really friendly night and was good to see that youngsters had things other on their mind than tagging walls, kicking bins and beating up each other etc.

Then, what is "real" flamenco?
It can be found everywhere.
I've been at the "Noche Flamenco de l'Albaicín" in Granada, and at the Flamenco bienale in Sevilla. I've seen Paco Pena en Maria Joncal in my home-town, Zwolle, Holland.
In Amsterdam there is a bar "el Duende" where thay play flameco and give lessons.
Flameco can be found the world over.

Olé,
Carli Di Bortolo

P.S. My favorite DVD is "Flameco" by Carlos Saura.

dutchpilgrim said:
Then, what is "real" flamenco?
It can be found everywhere.
I've been at the "Noche Flamenco de l'Albaicín" in Granada, and at the Flamenco bienale in Sevilla. I've seen Paco Pena en Maria Joncal in my home-town, Zwolle, Holland.
In Amsterdam there is a bar "el Duende" where thay play flameco and give lessons.
Flameco can be found the world over.

Olé,
Carli Di Bortolo

P.S. My favorite DVD is "Flameco" by Carlos Saura.

Sorry I did not express myself correctly. Of course flamenco can be found in other places too, including Holland and Belgium for example. I was referring to the mass touristy things in holiday resorts which can be very tacky and commercial.
Flamenco in the Franco era was considered as a kind of anarchy manisfestation and after that era the upcoming and onwards moving spanish society was a bit embarassed by gipsy and flamenco culture. So in able to " survive " the gipsies had to give into to some commercial musical and cultural demands. Bu still there is a lot of great flamenco to explore.

Worthwile to read is " Duende " from Ivo Hermans, a belgian historian and flamenco aficionado.
http://www.amerigo.nl/andalusie/9064450846.html
But again

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have heard some good flamenco down south, but the only "on the camino" flamenco I have experienced was on the Via de la Plata. The music school at the University of Salamanca has some very talented students who practice their guitar/box drum licks in the garden next to the pilgrim albergue, and the occasional student or tourist or whomever wants to will often join in to dance or sing.

One beautiful April evening in 2008 I heard the finest flamenco performance of my life, out there in the garden above the city -- two guitars, a drummer, a passionate singer, and several ladies of several age groups doing the dance. Made me happy to be alive.

Another reason for pilgrims to consider becoming hospitaleros!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back