• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flaming bull

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

MADRID (AP) — A flaming-horned bull trampled and fatally gored a man early Saturday during a festival in eastern Spain, an official said.

Large balls of flaming wax are traditionally affixed to the beasts' heads before they are let loose to rampage through squares and narrow streets in such festivals.

The mayor of Navajas, population 730, said emergency services in his town were unable to save the life of the 45-year-old man whose name was withheld. Jose Vicente Torres said the accident happened when the man, who had traveled from Alboraia, about 70 kilometers (45 miles) to the south, tripped just as the bull was released.

Torres said the bull charged the man, gored him and then stamped on his head, causing him "irreversible injuries." He said he had offered his condolences to the man's family, but would not cancel similar events scheduled for early Sunday.

"Although ours is a small town, many people from outside come to visit our feast dedicated to Saint Anton," Torres said, adding that black bows had been tied to town hall flags as a mark of respect and mourning.

Many towns in east and northeastern Spain celebrate feasts with "toros embolados," or "flaming bulls," which feature the animals racing around and shaking their heads as a reaction to flames or fireworks attached to or close to their horns. At these regional festivals, flaming-horned bulls are taunted and teased by rowdy crowds in bullrings, town squares or down streets. Unlike with most other events involving bulls, the animals aren't killed in the end.

The regional parliament of northeastern Catalonia banned bullfighting in July 2010 following a signature-collection campaign by animal rights activists. The ban took effect Jan. 1. But the region then passed other legislation protecting flaming bulls, called "correbous" in the Catalan language. Many critics said banning one act while enshrining the other in law was hypocrisy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I saw that in the news, also.
I checked to see if the town was located on any of the Camino routes and found that it is to the east of Madrid....if I located it correctly. Happy to hear that we will not have to deal with Bulls with flaming horns as we trek to Santiago. I have seen many unusual things on the Camino...but this would probably take 1st place. :wink:

good for this Saint Anton dude
let not minor inconveniences mar the festivities for the masses
parhaps they could consider introducing the "flaming-A" as a type of sideshow
for when the bull gets tired

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
+@^^ said:
good for this Saint Anton dude
let not minor inconveniences mar the festivities for the masses
parhaps they could consider introducing the "flaming-A" as a type of sideshow
for when the bull gets tired

how about a flaming person? any volunteers?...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Come on guys...get a grip...this is getting a bit off course!

Though I must I remember a story about how tapers were attached to the horns of goats and sent down a hill at night to sow fright into the invaders. But can't remember the entire context.

Attaching one to each horn would be quite a task.

Attachments

• taper.jpg
    taper.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 423
Arn said:
Come on guys...get a grip...this is getting a bit off course!

Though I must I remember a story about how tapers were attached to the horns of goats and sent down a hill at night to sow fright into the invaders. But can't remember the entire context.

Book 22 of Livy's History of Rome says Hannibal used flaming brands on the horns of oxen to deceive the Romans.

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10907/pg10907.txt
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Secon...ts-into-the-Roman-Lines-Posters_i1866726_.htm

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lots of Spaniards think attaching flaming things to bulls is cruel and unusual, and anyone who travels 40 km to be gored by said bull is just getting what he signed up for.

Pilgrims on their way to Santiago during fiesta season (June through September) may well run into an encierra -- there´s three of them every June in Sahagun, part of the Fiesta of San Juan de Sahagun. Young bulls are sent running through the streets and up to the bullring, chasing and being chased by young drunk men from the district. The bulls are teased and messed-about, but it is not considered overly dangerous. Until somebody gets hurt... last year, right outside the big pilgrim hostel, a young man was killed when he vaulted over the barrier fence to escape the bulls, and went head-first into the stone camino mile-marker. What a way to go.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.