• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flashbacks

J.Patrick

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto 2015.
Northern 2017
Francigena Oct 2023
Every now and then, there’s a moment when I’m overwhelmed by the emotions of my Caminos. Sometimes it happens because of music. I didn’t listen to music while I walked. Only when I was resting. And yet, one of my pilgrimage playlists rips me right back to my time in Spain.

Sometime is it has to do with food that tastes of something of the Basque country, or of the beautiful fabadas of Asturias.

Sometimes I’m pulled in by a book that I’m reading that calls to mind a moment with people, or alone, or in a restaurant on the Way, and I’m ripped right back.

Sometimes it’s while I’m doing a practice walk, preparing for the next Camino, and I’m struck by a view of the lovely hills here in Camarillo that remind me so much of Spain. Or, perhaps, a random thought occurs, and I’m swept right back to the Way.

I’ve learned so many important life lessons from the Camino, but the greatest blessings are the flashbacks that take me home again, and remind me that I am always, everywhere, a pilgrim. Do you feel what I’m saying here? Does it connect with you at all?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Me, too, "suffer" from flashbacks from time to time.

As I planned to walk the CP from Porto on Easter-break this year, postponed it to fall this year the flashbacks are getting stronger. Due to C19 and my medical conditions I'm not vaccinated yet, so I postponed it again.

I did a hike in the Harz last weekend and some of the views reminded me of the Sierra after Portomarin.
I sighed and walked on.

Happily there still are flashbacks!

I finished my tenth CF in December 2014 but every day since there have been flashbacks often based on the weather. For example today here in rural France there is heavy fog and thus in my mind I "see" ie. recall similar fogs across the years on the Camino.

Leaving Hontanos.jpg

Since 2009 sharing and participating in this unique Forum is part of my daily life. Providing information about the Camino almost always based on a flashback has become a particular pleasure whether responding to another pilgrim or writing for unknown readers.

Now at 82 and unable to walk long distances I regularly look forward to the next time to recall; may such flashbacks continue as long as I.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do after my first camino (Sarria to SDC) in Sep of this year, that I decided Im going to recreate the "camino" experience and spirit of adventure in my daily life, while still waiting for the actual next camino portugues which I plan to do spring next year if all goes well.

Right now what I started to do is take long walks on weekend around Madrid green zones and parks to keep fit while trying to recreate the Camino experience and whenever I can, I try to keep up with the blogs here to maintain the that sense of community and adventure with other pilgrims.

All the best,
AC

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I encounter someone here at home who has walked a Camino (which happened on a local trail last month). That instant camaraderie...
So true for me too. I have experienced that same thing and that instant camaraderie is a welcome feeling because they "get it" even when some of our close friends or family do not.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have just started (3 months ago) a series of oil paintings(6) reflecting my Caminos and sometimes my heart just aches to be there. Next year Norte Camino.
Sweetbaboo,
Your Meseta painting is such a wonderful way for you to remember; each brushstroke must be laden.
Thank you for sharing this personal memento.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I see a whole bunch of eucalyptus trees I also think of @peregrina2000, because she dislikes them so much
I dislike them, too. They are so messy and an invasive species brought in from Australia. On the other hand, I don't think the Caminos would be quite the same without tromping through a few forests of eucalyptus.

Last edited:
With me, it is the sensory perceptions that hit me bringing me back to the Camino...
A noise of a mobile phone clamouring in the dark, rustling of sb getting up next to you, flickering light and the taste in your mouth of long, deep sleep and the inadverdently sour taste of wanting breakfast really hard, but then at the same time remembering that you clean forgot to save some apple or banana, a youghurt or some bisquits for emergency breakfast before you reach the next town, which is....which is......what the hell is the next village, and where am I ??

This is when, back to reality, that I realise it is my hardworking homebirthing midwife spouse being called on the horn in the darkness of night, and I can go back to sleep... and now thanking my self that due to switching to an intermitting fasting and keto diet, I am not due to any breakfast soon, not until 10 o´clock anyhow....

You can do it pilgrim, so many times you walked 10 K before a breakkie !!!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I dislike them, too. They are so messy and an invasive species brought in from Australia. On the other hand, I don't think the Caminos would be quite the same without tromping through a few forests of eucalyptus.
For me they eucalypts signify that my camino is nearly over and I’ll be back on a flight to Sydney soon enough. They mean home to me and don’t really remind me of being on camino, but dark, wet streets first thing in the morning certainly do!

So many reasons to dislike this non-native plant I agree…otoh eucalyptus groves are where the monarchs prefer to winter in California.

I live on a hill, and some hundred year old oaks were cut down for homes below (😢). I planted some manzanitas to block that view except a cluster of white houses in one spot…on some mornings the sun and fog can make me almost believe it’s Roncesvalles

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Every now and then, there’s a moment when I’m overwhelmed by the emotions of my Caminos. Sometimes it happens because of music. I didn’t listen to music while I walked. Only when I was resting. And yet, one of my pilgrimage playlists rips me right back to my time in Spain.

Sometime is it has to do with food that tastes of something of the Basque country, or of the beautiful fabadas of Asturias.

Sometimes I’m pulled in by a book that I’m reading that calls to mind a moment with people, or alone, or in a restaurant on the Way, and I’m ripped right back.

Sometimes it’s while I’m doing a practice walk, preparing for the next Camino, and I’m struck by a view of the lovely hills here in Camarillo that remind me so much of Spain. Or, perhaps, a random thought occurs, and I’m swept right back to the Way.

I’ve learned so many important life lessons from the Camino, but the greatest blessings are the flashbacks that take me home again, and remind me that I am always, everywhere, a pilgrim. Do you feel what I’m saying here? Does it connect with you at all?
Sometimes it has to do with seeing my shadow stretched out in front of me....

the greatest blessings are the flashbacks that take me home again, and remind me that I am always, everywhere, a pilgrim. Do you feel what I’m saying here? Does it connect with you at all?
I did this today... purposefully. I downloaded a couple tracks of ocean waves and beach sounds before heading out for my walk this morning; at least for that hour, I was once again walking the litoral/coastal route from Porto.

Yes, every time I see the yellow shell on the blue background. I live in a town that has a Jakobsweg going through it so I get a lot of flashbacks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back