• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flashlight

JustRob

I've seen several people mention they packed flashlights, but am trying to understand when the need for them would arise.

I do a good deal of camping and haven't used an artificial light source in years. I simply rely on moonlight and starlight to get the job done.

I am planning to do the Camino this summer (2007), with a May departure. Even with a 6 am departure, shouldn't there be sufficient light for the trail by then?

Rob

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I took a torch with me last may on the via de la plata and found it useful for one reason-I usually have to get up once during the night for a leak. With a torch I dont have to turn on the light. My strongest suggestion is to take earplugs to help keep out the snoring and tthe noise made by those strange people who get up at 5am and seem to pack everything into noisy plastic bags.

Hi !

If you are in Galicia wth no stars or moonlight, and you want to start before eight o'clock in the morning, it is wise to have some kind of light to be able to se the yellow arrows, and avoid tripping over stones etc. Because it is very dark. :shock:

I had a very light headlight, nice in albergues too, if you need to do the toilet-trek in the middle of the night and avoid to trip over pilgrims sleeping om mattresses on the floor close to the servicio.

Light and love from Liv who has only 19 km left to Santiago :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Camino Frances last May 2006 (starting at SJPP) and packed a small headlight with me. When I reached Pamplona, I sent it home.

If you want to walk in the dark, sure bring a light, but what's the point in doing the camino if you can't see the sights? In May you can leave the refugio at around 6:30 or 7:00AM. Those who leave earlier are obviously leaving not because they want to avoid the hot midday sun; they just want to make sure they get a bed in the next refugio.

Just for fun, I tried leaving in the dark at 6AM from San Martin del Camino, and got lost in another village not on the 'official' path. I wouldn't say it was a waste of time though, as I encountered an old philosopher on that road. "You ask is this the 'right camino'? There is no right or wrong camino. Whatever path you're walking on, that is your camino." A minor adventure, but worth treasuring.

Some think the headlight is good for moving around in the dark in the refugio at night but it irritates the others. The room can look like a disco house without music if there are enough light beams dancing around.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back