• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flashlight??

Lora

At this time of year when it is light so late, do I really need to bring a flashlight :?: Opinions please :!:

Or, will I need it to find my way to the bathroom during the night? I would still be worried about it bothering fellow pilgrims. Would most places not have some sort of night light?

8 days to go! At this point, I am getting tired of training, packing and wondering, just want to get there :!:

Blessings, Lora

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Flashlight

Hola Peregrina-Lora,
Take one of those diddly-little flashlights so that you can wend your way between the double bunks to the bathroom in the night without shining the light in a sleeping pilgrim's face. You don't want to be switching on lights while everyone is sleeping!
Sunrise in Pamplona is at about 7am so when the pilgrims start crackling their plastic bags at 5h30 it will be pitch dark. In 9 days time the rain might be over, the snows all gone and the wildflowers blooming!
Hugs,

It's not for the evening you need it it's for the pre-dawn getting up to walk before the sun gets too high in the sky and for any middle of the night WC journeys you may need as you said.

At the moment the weather is pretty cool so there is no need yet for the early starts but that can change very quickly.

You will find if there is any night-light you will still need one to see your way around and if you turn on the lights those wanting to get up later will be very unimpressed and make their views known.

Buen Camino
William

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Sil and William, a flashlight will be in my pack. Were weight not a consideration, I wouldn't have hesitated, but I guess that goes for lots of things....

hugs back at you Sil.

Lora

With regards to the bag rustlers, perhaps we should start a section on Pilgrim Etiquette :lol: :roll: How not to annoy your fellow pilgrims :!:

With regards to the bag rustlers, perhaps we should start a section on Pilgrim Etiquette How not to annoy your fellow pilgrims

Good idea. First step, get a consensus on (mod) etiquette, with peregrinos coming from all over that may be some task. Then, organizing a system of enforcement, setting penalties, like a (forced) scholarship to an intesive A. Vanderbilt course at the albergue of choice, then... :lol:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok. I've been reading this forum for a while, and I feel like I need to put in a word of defense for the early-morning bag-rustling brigade. From the perspective of a member. :oops:

I often left before dawn. I liked walking in the dark. I liked watching the sun rise. And I hated walking in the heat of the afternoon. It wasn't a race to get a bed -- I slept on the floor several times, and it never bothered me a bit -- but it was in some sense a race against the sun. (Although I'd often stop for cafe con leche and toast two or three or even four times over the course of a morning, so it wasn't a very competitive race.)

I never set an alarm, but once I woke up, I got up. I packed as much as possible the night before and did my very best not to shine my flashlight in anyone's face. So have some pity on the bag rustlers. :wink: They aren't out to annoy you, and aren't necessarily racing to get to the next albergue before you do.

But back to the specific topic... Yes, you need a flashlight. I'd personally recommend a small head lamp in case you ever want to walk in the dark. But by all means carry it in your hand whenever you're inside an albergue. It's too hard to control where the beam goes when it's on your head, and you will wind up annoying everyone around you.

End of rant.

...packed as much as possible the night before...

Hi summer2005, one thing that I've gotten into doing is in leaving my backpack close by the WC, I like to take a shower when I arrive at the albergue + another one in the AM right after I wake up (my substitution for the lack of a solid cafe con leche at that time + I really like it + it wakes me up, and more, what can I say...) to ameliorate the noise + be able to leave the albergue asap. It seems to have been working. Let's see this time around. Best, xm 8)

Lora said:
At this time of year when it is light so late, do I really need to bring a flashlight :?: Opinions please :!:

Or, will I need it to find my way to the bathroom during the night? I would still be worried about it bothering fellow pilgrims. Would most places not have some sort of night light?

8 days to go! At this point, I am getting tired of training, packing and wondering, just want to get there :!:

Blessings, Lora

A cheap and very versatile light selection are the little photon lights:

http://www.photonmicro.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi

They are so small, take two. First of all a red one to use in the albergue at night for the toilet run or for early packing. the color want perturb your fellow pilgrims as much, plus it protects your night vision. If you think you might need it for way-finding, get a white one, because all you are looking for are large yellow arrows.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found an awesome little light that hooks over my ear.... gives the perfect amount of light for walking or just moving around the house... love it!!

I haven't done the camino yet but from previous experience in hostels I've found that the light from my mobile phone gives enough light for me to find my way around a room without bumping into anything or waking anybody up.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
At Christmas I received a three-LED light that clips to the bill of a hat! It is extremely light weight, sufficiently bright, and uses two of the CR2032 button batteries. Very inventive.

I did not take a flashlight and I did not miss having one.

There is plenty of light to get up and pack when the hospitalera turns the morning lights on.
But don't worry... you'll be awakened long before that by the OTHER lights from people's headlamps, which will also supply you with enough light to get up yourself up and about.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I wore one of those tiny little LED lights (Pulsar) on a soft twine around my neck. Helped me at night if the alberque was totally dark and used it in the mornings to find my way. Isn't a great deal of light but it was sufficient. Weighed less than an ounce and I kept it around my neck all the time.

Didn't take a flashlight but I bought a cheap (E9) headlamp at Decathlon which was helpful during those dark early mornings. I did not use it in the aubergue as the light was much too bright! The dim light from my telephone helped me out on occasion. I made sure that my pack was ready the night before.

If a torch, definitely the type that fits on the head, the newer type with those tiny bulbs (much lighter).

As for early bag rustling. It is very simple ... you get up quietly, pick up your things quietly, carry all outside quietly, quietly closing the door behind you, and then rustle away to your hearts content - simple. :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A small torch is essential. I stayed in some fire traps. As well, if you have to go to the WC in the night, a small torch pointed to the floor to light the way and the WC is a must. However, the head torches are a pain. All they do is flash someone whilst sleeping (or attempting to) in the face every time the wearer pops their head up. PS. If you have to get up early, be considerate and please pack your bag the night before, grab your sleeping bag and mochila and complete the packing outside the room.

Just an aside, though linked to flashlights - that firetrap thing. I couldn't agree more. Whenever I go into a closed space - especially where I will be sleeping - I always check my exit in case of fire, too late at 3am with people screaming and flying around like escaped canaries.

So flashlight is good just for that eventuality :|

And if ever and it is full of smoke, get down on your knees or lower to get out - less poisonous smoke down there .

I third the thought on firetraps. There was more than one occasion that I thought, "Jeez! If there's a fire, we can't get out of here!" Especially in a couple of albergues where they (literally) locked you in, which would be illegal in the USA. I was shocked and a bit concerned.

But as a previous poster has said, take a quick study of the place and figure out how you'd escape in case of fire. The chances are more than you'll get flashed, apparently. I think next time I'll take a bullwhip ::::::CRACK!:::: Then I can use it for both flashers and to escape from high windows! :lol:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think next time I'll take a bullwhip ::::::CRACK!:::: Then I can use it for both flashers and to escape from high windows!

Ah! a new backpack extra (or essential :wink: )

Anniesantiago said:
I third the thought on firetraps. There was more than one occasion that I thought, "Jeez! If there's a fire, we can't get out of here!" Especially in a couple of albergues where they (literally) locked you in, which would be illegal in the USA. I was shocked and a bit concerned.

But as a previous poster has said, take a quick study of the place and figure out how you'd escape in case of fire. The chances are more than you'll get flashed, apparently. I think next time I'll take a bullwhip ::::::CRACK!:::: Then I can use it for both flashers and to escape from high windows! :lol:

Remarkably, it's illegal in Europe too.

Were you concerned enough to complain?

Illegal in Europe too. Were you concerned enough to complain?

Absolutely Caminando - I would break such a locked door down before I gave myself to sleep.

locked doors - cemeteries

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, I didn't complain. I was too tired. And I'm trying to think where the heck that was... you walk into the village and to a street to the left. You walk into a bar, then to get to the beds, you go to the back of the building and turn right, through a door and up some stairs. All the beds are upstairs. There are rows of beds along windows that open (so you COULD jump!) but they LOCK that downstairs door and don't open it until morning. Where WAS that!? I hate that my journals are all in storage.

I think that I was there too .. I came down early to find that the outside door had been barricaded with a table and chairs as some drunks had wanted to get in to fight during the night - slept through it of course.
One long room, window at the far left end ...

AnnieSantiago was it "Buen Camino" in Palas Del Rei? The bar downstairs had heaps of Compostela's on the wall and there was a huge covered plaza out the back.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sharni, I'm not sure but I'm going to ask Joe today when I see him. I don't think we stopped in Palas del Rei. And I don't recall a covered patio. The place was between two streets. You entered on one street, and they let you out in the morning on another street.

They had the bar downstairs, and then a separate dining room for the pilgrims. Dinner was quite good, as I recall. The bartender was hilarious.

At the bottom of the stairs, coming down from the sleeping area, were two doors. One went back into the bar. It was locked tight. The other went outdoors. It was also locked. There was, literally, no way out except to jump from the windows. I suppose since it was only a one story jump, nobody would have died. But it was a little worrisome being locked in. I've actually stayed there twice, and I'm embarrassed that I can't remember the place... where the heck was that?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I stayed at that Albergue in Ages as well but I didn't realize they had locked us in as I went to bed early ;). The one in Palas Del Rei did lock the door to protect the bar and I only realized because we could hear knocking on the door and we went downstairs to let them in but it was someone knocking to be let out as they had left there phone etc beside the computer in the bar, I never did find out if it was still there in the morning. Ah fond memories ;)

PaulM said:
A small torch is essential. I stayed in some fire traps. As well, if you have to go to the WC in the night, a small torch pointed to the floor to light the way and the WC is a must. However, the head torches are a pain. All they do is flash someone whilst sleeping (or attempting to) in the face every time the wearer pops their head up. PS. If you have to get up early, be considerate and please pack your bag the night before, grab your sleeping bag and mochila and complete the packing outside the room.

As I walked the Camino Francès during the winter of 2009, I used to have a head torch of type "Petzl Tactikka XP Adapt". It did not only save my life more than once as I had to walk in the dark but also kept other pilgrims sleeping since you can switch to red light to grab your stuff, get dressed or hunt "chinches" in the night without disturbing other people...

Anniesantiago said:
Sharni, I'm not sure but I'm going to ask Joe today when I see him. I don't think we stopped in Palas del Rei. And I don't recall a covered patio. The place was between two streets. You entered on one street, and they let you out in the morning on another street.

They had the bar downstairs, and then a separate dining room for the pilgrims. Dinner was quite good, as I recall. The bartender was hilarious.

At the bottom of the stairs, coming down from the sleeping area, were two doors. One went back into the bar. It was locked tight. The other went outdoors. It was also locked. There was, literally, no way out except to jump from the windows. I suppose since it was only a one story jump, nobody would have died. But it was a little worrisome being locked in. I've actually stayed there twice, and I'm embarrassed that I can't remember the place... where the heck was that?

it sounds very similar to the albergue at Iterol de la Vega. The lay-out sounds similar, and I think we were locked in.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For any UK pilgrims, Millets currently have a little torch for only £3 including batteries. Rubber casing makes it weather resistant. Obviously not state of the art, but sufficient for the Camino in my view.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back