• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flector bandage for tendonitis on El Norte

Globalroaming074

El Norte ‘22, El Primitivo ‘23
Time of past OR future Camino
El Norte (May 2022)
Primitivo (May 2023)
Hi guys
I’m currently resting up after experiencing sudden sharp pain in my lower shin going down a hill 2 days ago, fortunately at the end of the day. I gave it a massage and stretch and then walked 31km yesterday - it constantly felt like someone had kicked me in the shin. I met another peregrino who had experienced the same and said it’s likely tendonitis tibialis and gave me a bandage to strap my lower shin, while another gave me some voltaren gel. I took some voltaren pills which helped a lot but the guy who helped me suggested I buy Flector bandages that contain ibuprofen within the bandage. I’ve since tried 3 different pharmacies here in Gijón but they don’t sell it. Has anyone else been able to buy this brand (it’s French) while in Spain? Should I keep trying every pharmacy I see or is there a local brand I should be asking for? In the meantime I’m sitting with a bag of ice on my lower shin/ankle, taking voltaren pills and using the voltaren gel and hopefully I can continue to walk from tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your suggestions or comments and merry weekend!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I feel your pain @Globalroaming074 — having suffered similar in the past.

I don’t know the tape you mentioned. But if you can find KT tape or similar in a pharmacy, it may help you. KT tape is ‘stretchy’. The trick with KT or similar is how you apply the tape - positioning and the tension.

You can Google ‘taping tibiales anterior tendonopathy’ and you’ll find videos like this.

Best of luck.

PS. You probably don’t want to hear (read) this but if it’s shin pain even with taping you are probably well advised to rest for a day or two.

I have suffered from shin splints in the past. Now, as a preventative measure, I do calf stretches at least once an hour when walking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished the Le Puy route 2 days ago and a lot of pilgrims in France were wearing the Flector patches on their legs…… Sorry I don’t know if they are available in Spain

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I feel your pain @Globalroaming074 — having suffered similar in the past.

I don’t know the tape you mentioned. But if you can find KT tape or similar in a pharmacy, it may help you. KT tape is ‘stretchy’. The trick with KT or similar is how you apply the tape - positioning and the tension.

You can Google ‘taping tibiales anterior tendonopathy’ and you’ll find videos like this.

Best of luck.

PS. You probably don’t want to hear (read) this but if it’s shin pain even with taping you are probably well advised to rest for a day or two.

I have suffered from shin splints in the past. Now, as a preventative measure, I do calf stretches at least once an hour when walking.
Thanks @anamcara, I didn’t think of getting some Osteo tape to tape it up. I’ve got a bandage but I think Osteo tape would be better. I’m going to head out now to try and get some. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I just finished the Le Puy route 2 days ago and a lot of pilgrims in France were wearing the Flector patches on their legs…… Sorry I don’t know if they are available in Spain
Thanks @Audtrekker 1, after a couple more unsuccessful pharmacy visits today I’m quite sure it’s not widely available here. Never mind, I’ll make do with what I have and if I encounter more French peregrinos maybe I’ll try my luck at buying them a beer in exchange for some patches 😂

Are you walking with hiking poles? I suffered until my husband forced me to rest a day and to buy poles in Burgos back when we where on the Frances back in 2017 it made a world of difference I was able to come off my daily dose of 600mg of ibuprofen and after a week - and not end up drug dependent. I hated using them but it made a world of difference it took the load off my shins especially on long down hills.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Flector patches seem to contain diclofenac, the same active ingredient as volteren / volterol. Topically applying the gel will be similar to using a patch.

Treatment for shin splints might usually be RICE as opposed to ‘take anti inflammatories and carry on’.

The actual evidence for the efficacy of KT tape is marginal at best. The placebo effect may be greater from a pretty bright colour.

Treatment for shin splints might usually be RICE as opposed to ‘take anti inflammatories and carry on’.
As a sufferer of same, I agree with this. Anti inflammatory tablets or gel have done little to help in my case, other than brief respite.

But I don't agree with this.

The placebo effect may be greater from a pretty bright colour.

I know when something genuinely works - for me. The tape I used most recently - on the Chemin du Piemont with a patella injury that was preventing me from walking - was similar to KT and black. So I don't think the 'pretty bright colour' was a factor. It was very effective and my knee was well supported for the many ups and steep downs.

Could be worth a try @Globalroaming074

Edited to add: Tape is only a recent addition to my 'farmacia' - on the Piemont when all else had failed. I haven't used taping for shin splints as my 'religious' stretching in recent years has kept them at bay. Fingers crossed. But, based on my recent experience with the patella injury that stopped me in my tracks, if I had the first niggle of a shin splint, I'd give the taping a go. It certainly won't hurt. Best wishes for your recovery and continuation.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a sufferer of same, I agree with this. Anti inflammatory tablets or gel have done little to help in my case, other than brief respite.

But I don't agree with this.

I know when something genuinely works - for me. The tape I used most recently - on the Chemin du Piemont with a patella injury that was preventing me from walking - was similar to KT and black. So I don't think the 'pretty bright colour' was a factor. It was very effective and my knee was well supported for the many ups and steep downs.

Could be worth a try @Globalroaming074

Edited to add: Tape is only a recent addition to my 'farmacia' - on the Piemont when all else had failed. I haven't used taping for shin splints as my 'religious' stretching in recent years has kept them at bay. Fingers crossed. But, based on my recent experience with the patella injury that stopped me in my tracks, if I had the first niggle of a shin splint, I'd give the taping a go. It certainly won't hurt. Best wishes for your recovery and continuation.

If you listen to podcasts could I recommend one called ‘sliced bread’ - it’s a BBC fact-checking programme - specifically the episode on taping for sports injuries.

“We’ve all seen athletes sporting brightly coloured stripes on the backs of their legs – but is kinesiology tape all it’s cracked up to be? Presenter Greg Foot is joined by Olympic medallist heptathlete Kelly Sotherton, along with consultant rheumatologist Dr Benjamin Ellis and Manchester United FC’s head of physical therapies Prof Michael Callaghan …”

In my opinion, taping with non-stretch tape offers support and obvious benefits. When I suffered from plantar fasciitis several years ago a physio (on here) recommended it.

The science of KT tape is another matter - even the manufacturer makes their claim in very careful language; but - if it works for someone; it’s good.

I’ve used it and would claim it worked for me.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back