• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fleece as middle layer

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Do any of you have some recommendations /preferences about fleece jackets/ pullovers? I'm mainly searching for a lightweight fleece that I can wear on top of my base layer clothing.
Which thickness should I aim for? ( I will be doing the Camino in april/may ).
I must add that I already have a rainjacket and this includes a padded liner. I'll take both with me on the Camino.
http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/1 ... Women.html
My guess is that the lightest fleece will do since the padded liner is really warm? Of course the less weight the fleece has the better. So again, all ideas are welcome.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,
I used a light 'Sprayway Whisper 1665' zipped front fleece and find it great. I use it in combination with Berghaus base layer tech tee shirts and/or depending on conditions a Northface tech jerkin and Sprayway 'Compact' Jacket.
Nell

Thank you Nell!

I know it is still eleven months before I will (hopefully) leave but I'm buying my gear in different stages. It is indeed a luxury problem but I rather buy some basic gear from good quality which last for several years.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Sabine,
Being able to 'road test' and break in your gear before starting is wonderful and fun! The process means you won't end up taking any/fewer 'what if' (as in what if my these socks give me blisters) or experimental items so by the time you leave your pack will only contain vetted 'payload' and be lighter as a result :D
En route you'll still probably end up abandoning something you thought you'd need or something that worked well at home but 'turns rogue' once you start walking but don't worry by the time you've done your 7th or 8th Camino you'll be like Sil and have it down to a fine art :D
Nell

I walked in May, June, August, September and October. In June in Austria the temp dropped to 8 degrees during the day after an initial spell in the 30's. I was warm enough with the following: thin merino singlet, long sleeved light weight icebreaker merino top, lightest weight fleece from Kathmandu and windproof/rainproof gortec type jacket. I do not think you would need a thicker fleece if you have two layers of thin merino under it. Love, Gitti

I took a featherweight fleece along and used it often in the cool mornings.
What I discovered was that unless it was raining, I often only wore my fleece for the first half hour of walking. After that I warmed up enough to take it off.

I NEVER wore my jacket. Even if it was raining, the fleece with my ALTUS raincoat over it was always enough.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Gitti and Annie! Will go for a light fleece pullover. There's a promotion these two weeks in a local adventure store for two brands, one of them is the lightweight Jack Wolfskin fleece ( 185 gr ).
I also ordered a longsleeved Icebreaker shirt and pj / longjohn North Face ( through a UK online shop and so much cheaper than buying this in Belgium).

Yes Nell, who knows one fine day I can do this with the bare essentials... :wink:

Thanks, I did not ever need longjohns, just used my lava lava to sleep in with a singlet on top and undies. I took longjohns, but ditched them after a few days. I bought some croc slip on sandals, ultralight and very comfy and suitable for showers and walking around in the evening. They are fab, much better than the walking sandals I took before, which weighed a lot more and were not suitable for showers. Gitti

I used a mid-weight fleece vest -- Caminho Portuguese mid April to mid May. Needed it the most the last few days when I hit some cooler weather. I'm in Santiago now and I really needed it just walking around the city as there has been a bit of really cool weather.

On warmer days (most of my trek) I only used it for an hour or so in the mornings. It is a really cheap thing that I bought for about $10 at an Eddie Bauer outlet. So if I load up on books over the next few days (I'll be in Coimbra) and need more space in my pack for the flights home it will not be any great loss to leave it.

Kit
kstaylor@centurytel.net

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pilgrims and gravity

Hi Nell,
How are you?
We're making some progress on this quest.
There are Escher exhibitions at the moment in Amsterdam and The Hague.
Yes there are one of two other recently discovered natural 'wonder structures' patterns that have a mirror image in Islamic pattern making.
Could you please quote the source(s) you were thinking of?
Thanks!
Best!
Geerτ

PS: Couldn't PM on the proper thread so used this one hoping you don't mind.

When I hike in cold weather, I use a lightweight fleece with a full zip and a hood. I find that it's the most versatile - on cold days, I really appreciate that hood!

I'm walking next March and April, and figuring out clothes and gear is definitely on my mind! I don't want to carry too much stuff, but I can really feel the cold sometimes. Right now I'm thinking a merino wool base layer, my light fleece mid layer, a windshirt for dry days (a very lightweight windbreaker - not waterproof), and an altus for rain.

I'll also bring a pair of gloves, a fleece toque and a buff.

I'm also seriously considering bringing a featherlight down jacket. Mine weighs only a hair over 200 grams, and while I probably wouldn't wear it hiking unless it was freakishly cold, I could see it coming in handy on cold evenings - or while trying to sleep in an unheated albergue.

I walked from SJPdP in the heatwave in August 2012 and decided to leave my fleece pullover at home. I took my Altus as a rain jacket and pack cover, a light rain repellent jacket, and Craghoppers short sleeve shirts with sun protection and mosquito repellent as base layer. I then decided on merino longjohns and long sleeve top as nightwear, spare clothing, extra layer for Galicia etc. At one point I slept in everything at once, with a fleece hat on, and I was still cold! But what no one had told me about was how cold the wind can get - and there was a lot more of it than I had anticipated. So even though I loathe fleeces as they feel plasticky and sweaty, I will be taking one next time, as an insulating layer under a pertex wind jacket with hood to cover my ears. I gave up on the sun hat, it just wanted to blow away, and bought a fleece hat instead to keep my head warm. The fleece might not do a lot for you on its own, because the wind goes right through it, but it will be invaluable as extra insulation under something else.

€149,-
I brought a wool fleece vest in black, and bought it online from Woolrich. Cheap, but good. Real good. It did well for me, since the majority of my Camino was cold. I used it this year right up until June when I left. Fitted perfect under my parka. Thought of getting a long sleeve...looking back....no way. Vest, no sleeves, under the rain proof parka was perfect for the rain, and cold, and wind of the first half of this Camino I travelled in April and May of this year.

I walked from SJPdP in the heatwave in August 2012 and decided to leave my fleece pullover at home. I took my Altus as a rain jacket and pack cover, a light rain repellent jacket, and Craghoppers short sleeve shirts with sun protection and mosquito repellent as base layer. I then decided on merino longjohns and long sleeve top as nightwear, spare clothing, extra layer for Galicia etc. At one point I slept in everything at once, with a fleece hat on, and I was still cold! But what no one had told me about was how cold the wind can get - and there was a lot more of it than I had anticipated. So even though I loathe fleeces as they feel plasticky and sweaty, I will be taking one next time, as an insulating layer under a pertex wind jacket with hood to cover my ears. I gave up on the sun hat, it just wanted to blow away, and bought a fleece hat instead to keep my head warm. The fleece might not do a lot for you on its own, because the wind goes right through it, but it will be invaluable as extra insulation under something else.
My lightweight down parka weighs only 9 oz. while my lightweight fleece weighs 15oz. I've been wondering if the parka is overkill but your post is causing me to think perhaps not. (I am also considering the Marmot Nanowave45 sleeping bag/29oz. because I easily get cold at night. Again worried it might be overkill.) Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
It depends on your temperature preferences. I am basically a lizard. I walked in May 2016. It was cold. Every day I started out wearing a short sleeve technical t, a long sleeve technical t, an Eddie Bauer fleece jacket (light to mid-weight) and topped that with a Patagonia rain jacket. As I walked sometimes the rain jacket came off, sometimes the fleece jacket came off. Loved the Eddie Bauer Fleece. I still use it. I also had an Altus poncho with me for heavier rain and a heavier Patagonia pullover fleece jacket that I slept in every night.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.