• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fleece Jacket for the first week of September

Meliss35

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2019
My husband and I will be walking the last 100 Km of the Camino Frances during the first week of September. Is a fleece jacket recommended during this time? I do get cold very easily. Any recommendations for both men and women fleece jackets? Thanks!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is a fleece jacket recommended during this time?
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it depends on what layers you have. You should take several thin layers, which add up to a thickish layer if worn together and/or with a rain jacket. Many people take a medium weight fleece or a wool zip "jacket." During the first week of September, I wouldn't expect very cold weather in Galicia but I would always prepare for rain.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It all depends on what else you are taking/wearing.
The first week of September is unlikely to be cold but it might be damp.
Then again, it might be hot and dry.

Several layers of, for instance, merino, thin down layers and a waterproof outer would allow you to adjust to the prevailing conditions.
I took a thin Rab (UK) fleece top as one of my layers but hardly wore it in the last two weeks of September/first week of October. But when I needed it, I was grateful for its extra warmth.
If you feel the cold very easily, you could use an old trick for the evenings: a thin merino layer on your legs, under trousers, makes a big difference. We always think of keeping our trunk warm, with jackets or sleeveless insulation, but if our legs are warm, the rest of our bodies need fewer layers. A windproof top can be useful too; though a waterproof jacket would provide protection from the wind, as well as the rain.
Merino leggings make cosy nightwear too!

Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it depends on what layers you have. You should take several thin layers, which add up to a thickish layer if worn together and/or with a rain jacket. Many people take a medium weight fleece or a wool zip "jacket." During the first week of September, I wouldn't expect very cold weather in Galicia but I would always prepare for rain.

Snap! 😄

I would recommend taking a fleece.

NOTE: Most brands of Polar-Tech type fleece come in three distinct weights or thicknesses. Polar -Tech is the first brand invented in the 1980s, and is the generic term used to describe the poly fleece fabric, usually made from recycled plastic bottles. Some better brands still use this branded fabric. look for it on labels and in product descriptions.

You can tell the difference in weight or level by touch. The weights are referred to as 100, 200 and 300 level or weight. Sometimes the weight factors into the style name, or appears somewhere in the description.

However, if you have several different fleece garments of the same type *(e.g. a jacket or pullover) pinch the sleeve and slide two fingers to gauge the thickness of the material. You can readily feel the difference from levels 100 to 200 to 300.

I recommend using level 100 in the spring - early fall for someone who does not chill easily - like me. For someone who does get chilled easily, or if you plan to use the fleece in lieu of a sleeping bag, I recommend 200 to 300 level fleece.

If one is walking from late September through April, I recommend going up a notch to using 200 - 300 level fleece for all.

I use level 100 or 200. As a large fellow, who prefers to be a little cool, and who does sweat profusely, I prefer going no higher / thicker than level 200. For reference, in May I obtained a level 100, full-front zip, fleece from Decathlon in Santiago for €9,99. It was on their hunting aisle. While not branded Polar-Tech, it is nonetheless excellently made and provides excellent value for cost.

Hope this helps.

I would recommend taking a fleece.

NOTE: Most brands of Polar-Tech type fleece come in three distinct weights or thicknesses. Polar -Tech is the first brand invented in the 1980s, and is the generic term used to describe the poly fleece fabric, usually made from recycled plastic bottles. Some better brands still use this branded fabric. look for it on labels and in product descriptions.

You can tell the difference in weight or level by touch. The weights are referred to as 100, 200 and 300 level or weight. Sometimes the weight factors into the style name, or appears somewhere in the description.

However, if you have several different fleece garments of the same type *(e.g. a jacket or pullover) pinch the sleeve and slide two fingers to gauge the thickness of the material. You can readily feel the difference from levels 100 to 200 to 300.

I recommend using level 100 in the spring - early fall for someone who does not chill easily - like me. For someone who does get chilled easily, or if you plan to use the fleece in lieu of a sleeping bag, I recommend 200 to 300 level fleece.

If one is walking from late September through April, I recommend going up a notch to using 200 - 300 level fleece for all.

I use level 100 or 200. As a large fellow, who prefers to be a little cool, and who does sweat profusely, I prefer going no higher / thicker than level 200. For reference, in May I obtained a level 100, full-front zip, fleece from Decathlon in Santiago for €9,99. It was on their hunting aisle. While not branded Polar-Tech, it is nonetheless excellently made and provides excellent value for cost.

Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Fleece top layers on their own are useless in the wind, a rain or wind proof layer will make all the difference.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My husband and I will be walking the last 100 Km of the Camino Frances during the first week of September. Is a fleece jacket recommended during this time? I do get cold very easily. Any recommendations for both men and women fleece jackets? Thanks!!

I was in this area in early October, and I had a synthetic 'micro-puffy' with a good quality rain jacket as my 'outer layers' (plus a toque!). I then had a sunshirt (long sleeve, light-weight, hooded shirt) and a warmer 'base-layer' shirt. I actually hiked in shorts + sunshirt nearly every day. Just a couple of times, I put on my pants for the first hour in the morning, but then changed to shorts. I was glad to have the puffy to throw on during breaks. I didn't really NEED all the layers I brought until I was out in Muxia though, and it was a bit stormy and quite cold there in mid-october.
EDIT: I ended up making this website once I started digging into my pack list. Pack list information, and why I brought each item is included! My pack was 3.9kg.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back