• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fleece or light rain/wind jacket?

Andrea Mayfield

it's about the journey.....
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2015)
Camino Portugues - Porto to Santiago (June 2018)
I'm walking the Camino Frances beginning on September 13. My internal temp. usually runs warm. So, I'm leaning toward packing short sleeved wool t-shirts (1 long sleeved) and a puffy vest along with a light weight North Face wind/rain jacket with hood rather than a fleece. I have an Altus poncho for serious rain. This is my first fall Camino - I'd appreciate advice on your experience with temperatures this time of year. Thank for your thoughts.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What I've learned from cycle touring is that anything that retains water is bad. One trip my rain jacket was soggy for days ... next trip I upgraded to an expensive shake dry. Layers dry faster and if your clothes can't be reasonably dried rolling in a towel they will stay wet too long.

Layers, that's what works best. You just have to decide how many layers work for you.

I wear three layers, the second being a light cycle zip up top, the third being a lightweight goretex raincoat.

You mentioned wool t-shirts. You just need to ensure your chosen tops will dry as fast as more technical fibres.

I finished the CF mid October last year and at times it was 5c in the mornings. But, it rarely lasted long, and walking raises your core temperature anyway.

I'm walking the Camino Frances beginning on September 13. My internal temp. usually runs warm. So, I'm leaning toward packing short sleeved wool t-shirts (1 long sleeved) and a puffy vest along with a light weight North Face wind/rain jacket with hood rather than a fleece. I have an Altus poncho for serious rain. This is my first fall Camino - I'd appreciate advice on your experience with temperatures this time of year. Thank for your thoughts.
Layers good as others have said. A bit of mixed weather in September in northern Spain is a distinct possibility.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Layers, that's what works best. You just have to decide how many layers work for you.

I wear three layers, the second being a light cycle zip up top, the third being a lightweight goretex raincoat.

You mentioned wool t-shirts. You just need to ensure your chosen tops will dry as fast as more technical fibres.

I finished the CF mid October last year and at times it was 5c in the mornings. But, it rarely lasted long, and walking raises your core temperature anyway.
Thanks Dave. Only long sleeved T-shirt is 100% Merino wool - for coldest times. Other t-shirts are 60% merino wool and 40% poly - very light weight.

Sounds like you're well prepared with wool based clothing, the poncho alone should suffice for any possible rain.
I did the CF last year in September and only had to use the poncho twice over 33 days. It was quite hot until around Leon (started early September) and I bought a fleece in Leon for the cooler evenings.
Looks like this year it could be an Indian summer as well.

Buen Camino!

Your layers sound good. I walked last year in September and found early mornings and afternoons to be chilly after Leon. So chilly that I bought a pair of pants to go over my leggings and a jacket to go over the merino hoodie I had. I also had a pair of ultralight merino glove liners that I wore some mornings.

In late september/early october expect mornings to be 5-15C. I adjusted layers frequently throughout the day, removing or adding layers as I needed them.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I usually take stretchy silk singlet, short-sleeved Merino, light fleece or uniqlo light down jacket and the light Altus or Sea to Summit poncho. It has been a great combo for years in June or Septemberin Spain, France, Portugal.

Take both. You will use both, and it gives 4 options;
1) Nothing
2) Fleece only
3) Rain jacket only
4) Fleece and Rain Jacket (which has performed well for me even through a Canadian Winter.
Heat is retained close to the body and the Rain Jacket will not only keep everything dry but also deflect cold winds, as well as snow and sleet. If it gets colder, add another larger fleece.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.