• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fleece or Micro-fleece or?

Vancouver Rose

Tu Puedes ... and I did!
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Fall of 2022)
I'm wondering about the best choice of jacket for walking the Camino Frances (~Sept. 8 - Oct. 20?). A fleece jacket takes up about 5 litres of space, but would be pretty warm and I think, pretty good in the rain coupled with a poncho; while the micro-fleece takes up 1/2 the space, but wouldn't provide the same level of insulation. I'd welcome guidance from those who may have walked at roughly the same time of year, as to what worked, or didn't, for you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For cold weather I’m microfleece and a smart wool long sleeve 1/4 zip turtleneck. I like layers over 1 single item. I also have a twist tie that gathers the poncho between my legs and keeps it from blowing away. Worked very well over last 5 walks in the fall. Oh and also a buff.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My 3 layers are a merino wool, or technical base layer, a berghaus fleece and finally a berghaus softshell rain jacket. Just had an Altus poncho delivered, though hoping not to use it😅

For cold weather I’m microfleece and a smart wool long sleeve 1/4 zip turtleneck. I like layers over 1 single item. I also have a twist tie that gathers the poncho between my legs and keeps it from blowing away. Worked very well over last 5 walks in the fall. Oh and also a buff.
Twist tie to gather the poncho between the legs so it's doesn't fly away ... cool idea! Thanks!

I prefer to bring more very lightweight Patagonia LS shirts and layer them according to current conditions. Then a poncho or a very light rain jacket such as Frogg Toggs is really sufficient for me. However, I stay in private accommodations, which are more likely to provide some heat the indoor temperatures drop.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm wondering about the best choice of jacket for walking the Camino Frances (~Sept. 8 - Oct. 20?). A fleece jacket takes up about 5 litres of space, but would be pretty warm and I think, pretty good in the rain coupled with a poncho; while the micro-fleece takes up 1/2 the space, but wouldn't provide the same level of insulation. I'd welcome guidance from those who may have walked at roughly the same time of year, as to what worked, or didn't, for you.
I'm not sure that I understand the difference between a fleece and a micro-fleece. My own approach is to use a 1/4 zip fleece jumper as part of my layering system. I have bulkier fleece jackets that are designed to zip inside a rain jacket, but even when I have carried that rain jacket on a pilgrimage, I have not taken its matching fleece. It is just too bulky.

Did the CF at the same time in 2018. Wore a good fleece vest, coupled with a windbreaker and long sleeved tech shirts. Was very comfortable, even in mid October. You'll encounter a few frosty mornings in October. Take a beanie cap and gloves as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Twist tie to gather the poncho between the legs so it's doesn't fly away ... cool idea! Thanks!
This sorta thing , one at each corner and then 1 in middle. Otherwise the snaps found on ponchos tend to release in high winds.

Attachments

• 1AC3B2ED-E41F-4E3E-8646-8591402E2681.jpeg
    1AC3B2ED-E41F-4E3E-8646-8591402E2681.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 75
I'm not sure that I understand the difference between a fleece and a micro-fleece. My own approach is to use a 1/4 zip fleece jumper as part of my layering system. I have bulkier fleece jackets that are designed to zip inside a rain jacket, but even when I have carried that rain jacket on a pilgrimage, I have not taken its matching fleece. It is just too bulky.
I think I might now know the difference! Thanks to the OP for describing them in volume, I never thought of that!
[ for the OP:]
For my first Camino, I bought what I thought was a pretty good "Light Fleece" as everyone advises. Its a zip-up hoodie. Walking in April, I froze on a few days, and had to buy a heavy long sleeve extra layer to stave off hypothermia. I still have that fleece, and wear it around town from time to time. I just balled it up, and its lofted volume is about 2-3 litres. Its sweet spot is over a base layer. Works great from about 14-20 C, perfect for summer nights where I live.

For my next camino, I bought what I call a heavy fleece. Its not many more grams than the light one, maybe half again, buts its lofted volume is easily 5 litres, I just checked. Its literally the only article of clothing I have worn every day on every camino. It goes on when I get out the bunk, and comes off when the sun warms up. It goes back on the evenings when I'm sitting outside. Mind, I have only walked April and September, it wouldn't be needed in the summer. Its also my pillow, and where I keep my valuables. It takes up the same space as my down quilt, but does not challenge my 40 litre pack.

All that said, you need to have a solution that gets you down to freezing with some degree of comfort. Many like the down vests, others, like me, prefer the heavy fleece. A light fleece works too, you just need another long sleeve layer to go with it. Dealer's choice. And your rain jacket is not just for rain, its the best outer layer when its quite cold.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am curious - where is this ubiquitous advice to take a "fleece"?
It was pretty ubiquitous in 2014 when I was setting up for my first, and also featured in guidebooks of that vintage. Actually, I just did a search on "fleece" in this forum, and the term appears, a bazillion times. You might re-read the last paragraph of my response.

I just did a search on "fleece" in this forum, and the term appears, a bazillion times.
Yes, I know. I am never sure what they mean, although I can guess. And the answer is always "it depends".

"Fleece" is a type of fuzzy fabric that provides good insulation. It comes in several thickness, and the clothing can be styled in different ways. "A fleece" is commonly used to describe a style of athletic jacket, but it could be light or heavyweight, with or without a hood, zip or not. These days, it is usually polyester, although it can also be applied to wool or wool blends, or even cotton-poly blends.

When someone asks if they should bring a "fleece" because everyone advises it, I ask what they mean. They certainly need several layers to provide insulation, but those don't need to be of a fleece fabric.

(I apologize for the minor rant.:confused:)

For my next camino, I bought what I call a heavy fleece. Its not many more grams than the light one, maybe half again, buts its lofted volume is easily 5 litres,
This piqued my curiosity. My 'light fleece' that I have worn on most of my pilgrimage walks since my first Camino weighs about 260 gm and rolled up in a 'ranger roll', is a bit over 2 li in volume. The heavy fleece that is a liner to one of my rain jackets is 527 gm and rolls up to be about 4.8 li.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @Vancouver Rose I walked the Frances September 4 - Oct 14 in 2012. I took a micro (100 weight) fleece jacket and I've used it on every camino since, in different seasons. I purchased it at Taiga in Vancouver. It's very light and comfortable under my rain shell. By the 3rd week of September the early mornings / evenings were quite cool and I was grateful for the warm layer as well as a light fleece cap & gloves. I didn't feel that I needed anything heavier that the 100 weight fleece.

I think I might now know the difference! Thanks to the OP for describing them in volume, I never thought of that!
[ for the OP:]
For my first Camino, I bought what I thought was a pretty good "Light Fleece" as everyone advises. Its a zip-up hoodie. Walking in April, I froze on a few days, and had to buy a heavy long sleeve extra layer to stave off hypothermia. I still have that fleece, and wear it around town from time to time. I just balled it up, and its lofted volume is about 2-3 litres. Its sweet spot is over a base layer. Works great from about 14-20 C, perfect for summer nights where I live.

For my next camino, I bought what I call a heavy fleece. Its not many more grams than the light one, maybe half again, buts its lofted volume is easily 5 litres, I just checked. Its literally the only article of clothing I have worn every day on every camino. It goes on when I get out the bunk, and comes off when the sun warms up. It goes back on the evenings when I'm sitting outside. Mind, I have only walked April and September, it wouldn't be needed in the summer. Its also my pillow, and where I keep my valuables. It takes up the same space as my down quilt, but does not challenge my 40 litre pack.

All that said, you need to have a solution that gets you down to freezing with some degree of comfort. Many like the down vests, others, like me, prefer the heavy fleece. A light fleece works too, you just need another long sleeve layer to go with it. Dealer's choice. And your rain jacket is not just for rain, its the best outer layer when its quite cold.
Super helpful! Thanks Rick.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @Vancouver Rose I walked the Frances September 4 - Oct 14 in 2012. I took a micro (100 weight) fleece jacket and I've used it on every camino since, in different seasons. I purchased it at Taiga in Vancouver. It's very light and comfortable under my rain shell. By the 3rd week of September the early mornings / evenings were quite cool and I was grateful for the warm layer as well as a light fleece cap & gloves. I didn't feel that I needed anything heavier that the 100 weight fleece.
Thanks @Theatregal. That’s good context, and I’ll check out Taiga.

My first Camino was mid Sept-mid Oct with 5 straight days of chilly rain so it depends on your weather forecast. I'm an Arctery'x fan because the sleeves are longer; the Delta LT fleece is warm, light and fairly quick drying, weighs 7.6 ounces (women) for those who like postage scale planning. The hooded version is 9.8 ounces and this hood is great for pulling over eyes in an airplane/albuergue, or for having a clean place to lay the head. Arctery'x also makes great synthetic insulator puffies, similar to a Patagonia Nano but in various weights for different seasons, summer weight is about 8 ounces, mid is 12 and I would never take my ski insulator hiking, even in winter. 8 ounce merino zip necks are a staple, too, but personally, I'd take either a zip neck or the fleece or the insulator unless the weather is pretty cold. If the weather looks iffy in the fall, I'll use a short sleeve merino, a zip neck lightweight merino, the fleece and the rain jacket. If the weather looks colder, the insulator puffy gets packed instead of the fleece. I'm not a poncho person so that may affect layering as the rain jacket/pant combo keeps the heat in pretty well. PS: On the Via Podiensis last May, I sent home the insulator puffy in Le Puy to drop some weight and kept the fleece (baggage transport so able to take extra stuff!). I froze for a couple of days during hail and sleet storms but then fried in the early heat wave. So maybe it doesn't really matter because there's no being ready for everything!

I am wondering about why you twist tie your poncho and how you would do that? I have walked some of my caminos and it seemed my poncho was on half the time with really strong winds. I never had to worry about it blowing away. I am just confused maybe you can explain. Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am wondering about why you twist tie your poncho and how you would do that? I have walked some of my caminos and it seemed my poncho was on half the time with really strong winds. I never had to worry about it blowing away. I am just confused maybe you can explain. Thanks
Do you use an Altus, which really isn't a poncho but a rain cost with room for a backpack, or a regular pinch without sleeves?

An Altus wouldn't blow around like a regular poncho does.

I had a merino hoodie that was great for most of my Camino last September. I ended up picking up a light jacket along the way to go over my hoodie for some very chilly mornings/late afternoons. The merino hoodie dried very quickly when it rained (sleeves exposed under my poncho). I did see some people with micro-puffy jackets for evenings, keep in mind that down jackets do not do rain well. Layers are always your best friend, add and remove as you need throughout the day.

This particular brand has loops at each corner as well as in the middle. The snaps do not hold well in strong winds so I use a twist tie at the two bottom out side corners but more importantly 1 in the middle so the front panel of the poncho is held to the back panel between the knees. It’s not so much that it will blow off my body but more that it billows open letting in the rain. You may ask why not use an Altus coat style poncho but I find them too clammy.

Attachments

• 86D0B4B0-17FF-4AC7-A007-20EE4C3F9BB5.png
    86D0B4B0-17FF-4AC7-A007-20EE4C3F9BB5.png
    815 KB · Views: 49
  • 8FD61C85-4D75-4268-AD9E-EB5A55F0AA6A.jpeg
    8FD61C85-4D75-4268-AD9E-EB5A55F0AA6A.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 47
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This particular brand has loops at each corner as well as in the middle. The snaps do not hold well in strong winds so I use a twist tie at the two bottom out side corners but more importantly 1 in the middle so the front panel of the poncho is held to the back panel between the knees. It’s not so much that it will blow off my body but more that it billows open letting in the rain. You may ask why not use an Altus coat style poncho but I find them too clammy.
Ahhhh now it all is clear to me. I use an ALtus poncho and you are right about the clammy and sweat. It does keep me dry. When I take it off to rest and i am in a cold bar I have to change or put something over what I am wearing so I don't get cold. It has happened as I am walking in November and December. Thanks

Do you use an Altus, which really isn't a poncho but a rain cost with room for a backpack, or a regular pinch without sleeves?

An Altus wouldn't blow around like a regular poncho does.
Yes I do use an Altus. I have been very happy with the one I have. I was thinking of buying a new one when I get to Barcelona this October. It has served me well but it is starting to show signs of wear and tear.

I have walked a winter Camino and only used a medium weight fleece along with smart wool base layer and a hiking shirt under my raincoat. Last October I walk again with alight fleece hiking shirt and a rain jacket that I didn't use but the last two days walking into Santiago when it poured rain. Layer comfortably.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm starting Sept 8 as well. I ended up getting a light weight fleece vest, a light weight pull over smart wool long sleeve. I figure I can add my very light weight rain jacket if it gets too cool.

Medium weight wool sweater....less weight, warm and cool, dries quickly...coupled with poncho or light rain coat..

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Careful. In my world, fleece and micro fleece seem to have melted into one, though the former is definitely thicker than the latter. I have also found that even micro fleece can come in different, “weights,” or, “thicknesses.”

My main experience has been with Crag hopper. I bought on in Dublin in 2016 mid summer and that served well. At home, they are available on Amazon but they are thinner, but still as I keep my home at 17C all year long, I am always wearing one and they are very comfortable.

Thank you all for the thoughtful info. I'm not very comfortable in wool, but appreciate the reminders about layering!

I walked Sept into Oct in 2018. Took a Patagonia Nano puff with hood, which drys quickly and stays warm when wet. Layered with a long sleeve marino shirt, a short sleeve marino and the Nano. Rain jacket can go over it all if necessary. For early morning, glove liners and a buff are a must. Started every morning in October, for about the first hour, wearing the jacket and gloves. Nano is a touch heavier than down but it was what I had and it worked perfectly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
...I think we've been fleeced😂
Can't pull the wool over your eyes can we...

I used a polar tech North face fleece both camino frances in september- oct with a rain jacket ( light shell ) for rain emergencies which occured regularly. Layering is key as others have pointed out here and in similar threads

I am new to the forum and hiking on Camino. What do you mean from a twist tie and how do you use it with the poncho? it maybe a dumb question. Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i splurged and bought a Patagonia r1 fleece. Layered under a rain jacket it’s good to go. The problem with many solutions is sweat and the R1 is very breathable. It has no wind stopping capability on its own.

Standard kit for shoulder seasons: 100 wt. Polarplus zipneck pullover, Costco v neck merino wool sweater, FroggTogg rain jacket, Columbia Sportswear LS shirt. Except for freezing temps and snow, rarely needed all of them at once while walking. The sneaky warmth of a down vest would be a delicious addition when slow walking a cold wet urban area, or a freezing alberque in the evening, but I only add that in alpine conditions camping.

I wore layers, like most. Base was a synthetic t-shirt (I'd go merino next time for quickness in drying and odor control), then I had a long sleeved merino 1/4 zip shirt that was used both for warmness when coupled with other layers, and/or sun protection over the Tee), then I had a Kuhl 1/4 zip light fleece pullover, then a light 800-fill down vest, and a gore-tex rain jacket for both rain and cold wind. This system worked well for me on the Camino and other backpacking adventures.

I am new to the forum and hiking on Camino. What do you mean from a twist tie and how do you use it with the poncho? it maybe a dumb question. Thanks
Some ponchos have a dual use, in that they can also be pressed into service as a tarp shelter. In order to be used as a tarp, they have little tabs along the outside edges for the purpose of lashing down.

As @BombayBill suggested in his post above, when in use as a poncho these tabs can be secured together with a twist tie in order to stop the poncho from coming open or from billowing in the wind. One such poncho, (and the one that I believe @BombayBill has added thumbnails in his post), is the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Tarp Poncho.

I too had never heard of this hack before, but I think it's an ingenious idea, and since I have that poncho I'm certainly going to try his twist tie suggestion.

Last edited:
I would go with the lighter fleece, and a long-sleeved silk undershirt. Both of them combined take up less room than the thick fleece, and the silk undershirt is quite warm. Maybe a scarf around your neck too. This, along with a rain jacket, worked for me, but I walked in the Spring... which might be cooler than Sept.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back