• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fleece or ....

Jeff Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (2017)
For my Sept/Oct 2017 Camino, have begun looking at fleece jacket options. Seems to be hundreds of brands/styles. Also, now see and read of Marino wool jackets.

Need advice on brands, poly fleece vs Marino, etc.

Suggestions, preferences???

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If the weather is cold, you will wear a t-shirt, long sleeve base layer, long sleeve warmth layer (the "fleece" you are asking about), your windbreaker/rain jacket, and anything else you might have. Otherwise you just need a light weight, quick dry layer to provide some extra warmth in the evenings. Get whatever is comfortable and suits your budget. Remember: several light layers are more versatile than a single heavier layer.

I found all merino jackets I looked at to be significantly heavier that microfill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For my Sept/Oct 2017 Camino, have begun looking at fleece jacket options. Seems to be hundreds of brands/styles. Also, now see and read of Marino wool jackets.

Need advice on brands, poly fleece vs Marino, etc.

Suggestions, preferences???

I've heard of preparation but this seems far too early and not necessarily the right solution
https://weatherspark.com/averages/32040/9/Leon-Castilla-y-Leon-Castille-and-Leon-Spain
This is a link to weather averages for Leon during September - you're more likely to get sunburnt than cold - even in October, I'd just bring something to protect against rain and a couple of Merino wool t-shirts - you can always wear both shirts at once if it gets cold - no need for a bulky fleece

I loved the poly fleece pullover I brought with me on the CF. Was perfect to wear in the cool morning and evening and really warm when layered under my breathable rain jacket.

The warmest piece of clothing I gave with me now is a man's cashmere pullover sweater. It weighs nothing and is my go-to for after walking as well as an extra layer when it is windy and cold.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To mix up the conversation a bit: As with my sleeping bag, I prefer down. Down is lighter and packs smaller. Before I made the change from fleece to down, a team member with whom I adventure-raced told me, jokingly, that my fleece jacket was passé, dated.

Happy planning!

I have a Merino vest that I love, but fleece or even micropuff is less expensive. Ounce for ounce, I think merino gives the greatest range of comfort, but dollar for benefit, it's most expensive.

IMO, down is fine for around the albergue, but be cautious---exertion sweat or rain can quickly wet out your down and it's useless after that.

Look at the average temps for that time of year, and then decide based on lows rather than highs. Contrary to Spursfan (who has a really light kit and has the experience to handle the implications of that if conditions go sideways), I suggest that prudence takes the jacket rather than relying on doubling up your clothing in colder weather. Moreover, only you know your tolerance to cold.

I forgot to mention another advantage of poly fleece pullovers/jackets is that they are inexpensive. If you lose it, donate it or it get's filched, no big deal. On my first Camino I left mine on a donativo table in an albergue towards the end. Didn't need it anymore and was about to fly to Paris and then to Dubai. No point in hauling it around. Hope whomever is wearing my charcoal gray, Columbia fleece pullover is enjoying it. You are welcome. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In September/October 2013 my "fleece" was an icebreaker 200 long sleeve pullover. It was enough for me layered with my few other items. My thinking was that I wanted to take as few items as possible making pack lighter and personal items easier to keep up with. I also knew that by the time October chills might require more cover I would be able to pick up something along the way. That wasn't necessary.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.