• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fleece sleeping Bag (Frances)

HeatherWriter

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Le Puy- Roncesvalles & Figeac-Rocamadour 2014
Le Puy-Conques & CeleValley 2016
Whew! The sleeping bag debate is huge here and I'm still confused. Sounds like a fleece liner would be nice and cozy with a silk liner inside, but, where does one get the former and are they light and compact? I've found a Vietnamese company who makes and sells silk liners cheaply but don't know where to find the fleece ones.
Also, what do the temperature ranges really mean-I've heard that the fleeces are good to 15degs C and a silk liner add another 5 degs=10degsC. Does that mean that if the temperature of the Albergue is 10 degs I would be cozy??? And if it was 5 degs outside I would be cold? (I'll be heading off the start of October 2012). :D
EEk! I know someone out there will know the answer. I'm on a budget, so don't want to spend $100 on a sleeping bag (the lightest one I can find here in Melbourne -the Roman Palm-is actually 750grams in its case and the reviews for it are not great).
Thanks folks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
fleece liner is a bit of a misnomer....they are normally mico fleece.I have one for this summers camino...purchased in TK max for £4.99

they are normally sold for between 10 to 15 pounds in most outdoors shops in london.A brand to look for is lifesystems.Make sure you wash it in the machine at home before you set off.

i would maybe be concerned that in october the weather in the second half of the camino may be a bit chilly...depending on your transit options...can you buy a sleeping bag on the way?...for example..here in london?

just checked on field and trek website...karrimorr x lite sleeping bag...£25.00....680 grms....plenty of others there too...worth a look

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fleece feels warmer, but it often is an illusion. A 200 gram fleece sleeping bag liner has the same warmness rating as a 130 gram silk liner. A 50 degree fleece liner weighs about 550 grams, and gets you about another 10 degrees of warmth. I suggest going with just the lightest liner you already have, and get a blanket at the albergue if you need one. I have only been one place that did not have blankets, Leon parochial, and it had nothing except a lukewarm welcome. Body heat kept the place about 90 degrees at night, anyway, and my clothes stuff sack made a very good pillow.

Hi Heather, I have walked in late April and mid September and have used a Gelert X-treme lite 1 season sleeping bag weighing 600g. It worked for me. As you'd expect for 600 g, it's a snug fit :lol: (Mummy shape, as in Egyptian) If you are still feeling cold, you can always layer up with socks or a jacket across the top. Buen Camino!

Hi Heather,

I just got my snugpak traveler travel pak sleeping bag from sheepleg.com it super lite and compact and they have many to chose from in the $50-$80 range. I also ordered a vietnam silk from ebay. Additionally I ordered long johns from landsend.com on clearance and what they call NQP (not quite perfect). I cant even find what is imperfect about the silk tops I purchased at a fraction of cost. I ordered Ladies petite in a blue color so that I can wear it as a top or baselayer/pj's. The bottoms I ordered a girls XL and they fit perfect- I am a ladies size 6-8P normally- again a fraction of the cost. I hope this is sufficient for my camino in sept/oct if it dips down a little or alot!

Buen Camino!
Lisa

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
caminocalling said:
Hi Heather,

I just got my snugpak traveler travel pak sleeping bag from sheepleg.com it super lite and compact and they have many to chose from in the $50-$80 range. I also ordered a vietnam silk from ebay. Additionally I ordered long johns from landsend.com on clearance and what they call NQP (not quite perfect). I cant even find what is imperfect about the silk tops I purchased at a fraction of cost. I ordered Ladies petite in a blue color so that I can wear it as a top or baselayer/pj's. The bottoms I ordered a girls XL and they fit perfect- I am a ladies size 6-8P normally- again a fraction of the cost. I hope this is sufficient for my camino in sept/oct if it dips down a little or alot!

Buen Camino!
Lisa

Test sleeping in your sleep sack with the pants you intend to wear to ensure they don't drive you crazy. I wore a pair of cotton yoga pants in my micro-fiber sleep sack and I went INSANE! It kept catching and tangling around my legs and I felt like I was sleeping in a torture device. :) I decided I'll have to get some sort of "slippery" material pants to sleep in otherwise I won't be able to wear pants at all (which is what I generally do because I hate them).

vagabondette,

Is your sleeping bag a mummy type? The travelpak traveler by snugpak is an awesome square type, its light and slightly slippery on its own...it has a zipper that can unzip into a blanket for more freedom-I tried it out with running shorts (which Im bringing to sleep in) and the long johns if needed- they are good but yes I agree the runing shorts are silky and way more comfortable..with bag. The bag also has a little mosquito net that goes over the top..hopefully keeping out any bed bugs too!! ;) The bag compresses really small and has a little pocket inside too! As you can tell Im a fan of the snugpak!And so relieved I didnt have to get a mummy sak as they make me claustrophobic!

Cheers!
Lisa

Mine is a mummy style and while I typically don't like that, I don't really find this one confining, probably because it stretches. I generally sleep on my stomach with one knee bent and I was able to do that in this sack. Yours looks good and square with a zipper would be nice but I'll give up a little comfort and convenience for something that weighs a pound less. A pound is 10% of the total target weight of my pack which is a huge difference.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Im wrestling to eliminate some weight as well ...its amazing to me how all these "light " items add up. Im sold on my snug pak..but probably need to think about leaving out some other items.

Vagabondette, please tell us which mummy did you find that is on the lighter/stretchier side?

Sleep tight ya'll :wink: omigosh been on here for hours re reading tips OCD, info etc..must get shut eye.

Night,
Lisa

caminocalling said:
Vagabondette, please tell us which mummy did you find that is on the lighter/stretchier side?

I am taking the Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme. As-is, it's 14 oz. That will be reduced when I modify it. It's currently 7ft long and I'm only 5'4" so I'm going to cut 1 ft off the bottom and add snaps or velcro so I can open it and stick my feet out if I need to. I think one reason it doesn't bother me is because it IS so long it doesn't really get narrow until after my feet end. So that, with the stretchy, works ok for me.

http://www.rei.com/product/797114/sea-t ... -bag-liner

Hi Heather
I took a Roman Palm 1 sleeping bag in June with a silk liner and I found the combination to be great. I mostly slept in the silk liner and used the bag as a blanket. On the odd night when I didnt need a blanket I lay the bag on the bed opened up and the few times when it was quite cold I just wrapped myself in the bag. I find most bags zipped up just too confining. I washed the liner in a pyrethrum solution suitable for clothing and sprayed the outside of the bag with the same solution.... no problem with bed bugs but maybe I wouldnt have had problems anyway.

I didnt use the stuff sac that comes with the bag....just shoved the liner and sleeping gear in the sleeping bag in the morning and pushed the lot into the bottom of the backpack. The sleeping bag alone weighs 655g which is the lightest I could find and I dont know why anyone would give it a bad review...no complaints anywhere from me.

There is a store called DownUnder Camping that have on-line sales and the bag is retailing now at $69.95 .... :) http://www.downundercamping.com.au/home.php?cat=396

Buen Camino Heather
Debbie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have done a lot of research and feel that a sleeping bag is the answer but it all depends on weight you wish to carry. Try the sea to summit site as travelled with their goods last year and it was light and fantastic and also will re use them again as lasted the distance and worth the investment.

Am on the Camino now and very happy to not have a sleeping bag. As it is, most nights I don't sleep in my sleep sack as the rooms are too warm.

I only took a a silk liner in April--I didn't want to carry ANY extra weight. Most refugios had blankets on the beds. Along the way, I discovered that those that didn't have them on the beds had a hidden supply available on request. I slept in long underwear for pajamas and used a down puff jacket for additional insulation when it was needed during the night. It worked for me. I'm going in November and will travel the same way again.
buen camino
ali

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.