• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Fleece (Sweater vs jacket) vs Puff vs Merino Sweater vs nothing at all.

AttheEdgeoftheWorld

Time of past OR future Camino
vdlp (may/june 2015)
So perhaps this is a bit close to the fleece coat vs jacket debate, so I apologize if people feel that this is a bit repetitive...

I am a first time camino walker doing the VDLP starting in Seville at the beginning of May. I have been reading through gear list and "a fleece" is something that comes up quite often. For the most part, it is not very clear to me if people mean a fleece sweater or a jacket as one is quite a bit lighter than the other. I am not overly fond of fleeces for completely irrational reasons involving static electricity, but as that won't be an issue while hiking, I would consider buying or borrowing one.

I did large chunks of the Lycian Way and St Paul's trail back in Sept/Oct of 2013. I was fleece-less for the duration bringing only a thick-ish Icebreaker sweater, which I only used a couple of times at night in the mountains (we camped most of the way).

I'm wondering the pros and cons of fleece vs other comparable jackets/ sweaters, and what level of warmth people feel is needed for VDLP at this time. I was thinking that a light Puff (down or otherwise) might be more compressible where as a Merino sweater may be more versatile (and just as warm under a rain jacket). Then again, maybe all of the above are over-kill, especially as I am not doing any camping.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When people talk about fleece, they are talking about a thin insulating layer. Fleece is heavier, Synthetic is better than down as it can retain warmth even when wet. Like your icebreaker sweater, or patagonia nano puff. Whether one needs one depends on if you are carrying any windproof/waterproof shells. I used my event shell. It serves as my town jacket, windbreaker at higher elevation or insulating shell when colder in the morning. I hardly ever had to put a sweater on. Just my 2 cents.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rajy62's experience matches mine (Frances, July 3-Aug. 9, 2014). I have only a Marmot Essence rain shell (and a knit hat--very important, and very light), that I wore at nights when it got cool.

Thank you Rajy62 and Jo Jo for you advice.
And thanks Jo Jo for the advice about the hat. I'd better start knitting (never a problem ;))

Btw, don't forget good wicking baselayer for the next layer to be effective. I used synthentic tshirts on the CF, had to wash them every day. On the norte, i switched to merino wool (smartwool microlight crew). The best investment i made for long duration hiking. Specially on those long rainy days when you will soak in your own sweat because of the limited breathability of shells under heavy rain. Merino wool feel dry and warm even when wet. They are pricey. But usually one can find them on sale. I just picked up an icebreaker tech lite tshirt and a smartwool nts 150 pattern tshirt (25% off) in anticipation of my upcoming vdlp.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Rajy62,

I am a huge fan of merino, and used it on hikes, both in Turkey and Peru/Ecuador, as well as in my every day life, but I have never done something anywhere near as long as the camino, and I've been worried that I needed something more substantial like a fleece jacket. Your comments lean me toward going with what I know.

I'm sure you can get some use out of layering up those merino shirts before VDLP, things have been awfully frosty in Montreal this winter.

I too have found that layering merino wool can provide great flexibility in widely varying temperatures. I also carried a Montbell Versalite rain jacket (6 oz.), but the one piece of gear I absolutely love is the Montbell Plasma down jacket. At around 4 ounces it provides great warmth for its weight. I wore this jacket every night from Le Puy to Santiago in spring and summer, and in Santiago in early July and never felt better. It also layers well to keep you comfortable in winter hiking conditions. Quite versatile IMHO.

Back