• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

fleece weights

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I've seen reference to people taking fleece jackets that weigh a mere 200g or so. I have one that weighs in at almost four times that - and one that I got for last year's camino thinking it was so much lighter, but even that is still 430g. I would be happy to shave off 200g from that one item of clothing because all the 200g increments add up. What would you recommend?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What time of year are you going?

The light weight ones are summer morning or cool evenings.

The heavier ones are useful in mid winter.

we plan on being walking from early May to early July

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Then no point IMHO to bring the very heavy weight ones.

I just weighed my lightest and it's about 350grams. But I'm a L/XL. Even this one would only be worn early morning/late evening.

I wore a light Macpac 1/4 zip fleece top in Mar/Apr/May 2010, and again last summer in Norway on St Olav's Way. It weighs about 270gm. I regularly use it in sub-zero mornings here in Canberra, maybe as much as -5degC. Its fine at the lower temperatures if there is no or little wind.

In Norway, I also used a Helly Hansen wind and rain resistant jacket that weighs about 170gm. It is not a fleece, but worked well on morning temperatures that were down to about +5degC.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I too carry only a 200g fleece (jack wolfskin brand, Swazi do one same/ but have 3 others same weight, microfleece). If it is really cold I put on the rain jacket (also a light weight one 460g). It is better to have all your gear on you than carrying it!. BUT I am a warm person, I prefer to start out a bit chilly, even with bare arms as i warm up very quickly.

Kiwi-family said:
I've seen reference to people taking fleece jackets that weigh a mere 200g or so. I have one that weighs in at almost four times that - and one that I got for last year's camino thinking it was so much lighter, but even that is still 430g. I would be happy to shave off 200g from that one item of clothing because all the 200g increments add up. What would you recommend?

There are fleece jackets which are full of details such as a hood, zippers, pockets etc, which make them unnecessary heavy. I have one of these and it weighed 500 grams something. Maybe your fleece jackets are like that, too?
If I were you I would buy a new light one, 200 grams instead.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At least here in the US (she says, as she writes from Germany) the weight of the fleece (raw goods) is expressed as 100 g/sq yd, etc. and usually the "sq yd" gets left off. But that's only a measure of the thickness and heft of the fabric itself. It's not the garment weight - which can vary with the size, sleeves, pockets, zippers, decorations, dog whistles ... You get the picture. That being said, a sleeveless vest of 100g fleece will be lighter than one from 300g material; but the difference is probably not 200g.

I have several like this from L.L.Bean. Very similar to the one from Lands End.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/53635?fe ... ece-jacket

Mine are 1X and weigh in at 269g. Wore one all over Ireland this past fall, most often with a raincoat (in every picture I have that purple raincoat on :roll: ). It is a good light layering piece. I took a slightly heavier fleece but only used it once and even then the lighter one would have done.

That said if you were going during a colder part of the year you would definitely want something with more thermal protection.

Just got a 260g Macpac one on clearance. With thermals and walking shirt and beanie and gloves and scarf and raincoat, it should do the trick even if it gets pretty cold.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.