• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fleece

mcopeland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - April-June, 2016
Portuguese Lisbon-Santiago - October, 2017
We are making our first Camino Frances around April 25th through mid-June. After researching the forum on layers to wear in this changing season, we discovered that base layer, fleece layer and rain jacket was recommended several times. So we ordered fleece jackets with hoods. We're not crazy about them. They seem too thick to be able to compactly store after the weather gets hot. And they don't seem that warm (wearing the base layer but not the rain jacket). Admittedly they've only been worn so far in non-hiking situations of around 35 degrees. Maybe if we were walking all day we'd feel warmer. Do we need a shirt over the base layer? Would appreciate any wisdom on layers for this time of year.
Mary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are making our first Camino Frances around April 25th through mid-June. After researching the forum on layers to wear in this changing season, we discovered that base layer, fleece layer and rain jacket was recommended several times. So we ordered fleece jackets with hoods. We're not crazy about them. They seem too thick to be able to compactly store after the weather gets hot. And they don't seem that warm (wearing the base layer but not the rain jacket). Admittedly they've only been worn so far in non-hiking situations of around 35 degrees. Maybe if we were walking all day we'd feel warmer. Do we need a shirt over the base layer? Would appreciate any wisdom on layers for this time of year.
Mary

I'd ditch the fleeces and maybe the base layer - instead buy some Merino wool shirts (I use Icebreaker) - but keep the rain jackets

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Go for light layers. In cool weather I sometimes wear an Icebreaker t-shirt, 2 lightweight long-sleeved layers plus my very light rain jacket and a merino buff. The buff and gloves are excellent for temperature control as you are warming up or when conditions change for a short period. (You can raise/lower the buff or remove buff and gloves without stopping.) I would never have a hood except on the rain jacket. I recommend that you trade the heavy hooded fleece for 2 lighter layers and a buff. Then you have more flexibility.

Mary

Mcopeland:

I have walked all my Camino's in the March/April time frame. I wear an Under Armor shirt as my base and then a fleece pullover (no hood). I have never been cold. Some mornings it is cool but once I get walking there are rarely cold issues. If it is raining or very windy, I will put on my rain gear (blocks wind and keeps me dry). Main reason I use rain gear versus a poncho. For my head, I usually wear a ball cap. I also carry a lightweight UA headgear. It protects face ears and neck on cold and windy mornings.

What works for me may not work for you. Everyone's tolerance for cold is different. I suggest you try different combinations in your local Winter weather and go with what suits you best.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Last edited:
"Fleece" covers a very wide category. I have fleece sweatshirts that are very thick and some that are quite thin. A fleece jacket with a hood is probably a pretty bulky item.

My husband likes the fleece pullovers from Eddie Bauer - like this one. It's lightweight, packs small, and can be layered for extra warmth or worn with just a t-shirt if its only a little chilly.
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/m...ece-Sale&previousPage=LNAV&tab=sale&color=907

I am not a fan of wool, so I don't wear it, but others really like it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My lightweight layering system for the same time of year includes a long sleeved base layer (200g), long sleeved lightweight shirt (212g), lightweight hooded fleece with full length zip (330g) and a Montane windshirt which is windproof, showerproof and breathable (106g).

I have just one of each of these except the base layer of which I carry a second one. All the items are synthetic, wicking, easy to wash and very quick drying.

The full set of 4 layers is good for the coldest conditions, and layers are removed as the weather warms up to the point where I will only be using the base layer.

If it is raining I don't use a rain jacket as it gets too sweaty, so just a lightweight poncho (118g) to let the air circulate underneath, plus lightweight Goretex overtrousers (228g).

I have tried a couple of different base/middle/outer layer combinations over three long pilgrimages, and many more in local walks. My take on this is:
  • for base layers, avoid polypropylene, but otherwise most of the practical performance differences are minor if you can detect them at all. I find most of the brand differences are generally advertising hype. Good synthetics with an anti-bacterial treatment or fine-wool blend perform just as well as the pure fine wool garments, and have a far better price/performance ratio. I currently intend to use a synthetic/fine-wool blend base from a well-known manufacturer. Similar products are made by a number of firms. If having a well known name makes you feel comfortable, so be it, but a maker's badge doesn't necessarily make anything perform any better.
  • I wore a long sleeved trekking shirt over the base layer in Spain, but a short sleeved shirt in Norway. Wearing long sleeves is a sun-protection measure, but in early spring it is also another insulation layer. I also wear long trekking trousers.
  • In the mornings I wore a light fleece, or a rain-jacket if it was windy. I was normally able to remove this third layer after an hour or so of walking on a good day. I also wore a very light beanie under my hat in the mornings, as well as gloves or trekking mitts depending on how cold it was.
  • If it was really cold, I wore all four layers - base, middle, fleece and rain jacket.
  • I started my first CF with thermals, used them in the Pyrenees and sweated so much that they were never used again and were packed of home at Los Arcos. I packed thermals for St Olav's Way into a zip-lock bag, and never opened it even with snow still on the ground in the Dovrefjell. I found that I warmed up enough walking to overcome most chilly mornings. On one day in Spain and another in Norway, I put my rain pants on as wind protection, and that was sufficient.
  • Both my rain jacket and rain pants got some use in the rain as well as being used for wind protection and as additional insulation.
  • I also protect my extremities, although I have taken different approaches to this over time, particularly with respect to gloves. In summer I use a trekking mitt that provides good sun protection but leaves my fingers free. In colder months I now normally use a fleece trekking glove and carry 'waterproof' gloves from time to time. I have yet to find a waterproof glove that has lived up to that claim. Most of them seem to be designed for snow sports, and don't withstand constant rain.

@dougfiz; why avoid polypropylene. If you are a heavy sweating person, pp has the largest index for transporting humidity to the next layer...
What properties of pp do you not like/ approve of !??
I ask because my pure merino base layer tended to get wet on CF (may with cold mornings) when I got hot and back in my humid & cold climate I now use Helly Hansen base layer pp or a pp/merino mix base layer with good results...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What ever you decide to wear...wash it in a sink, hand ring, and hang it to dry overnight (8-10 hours)...if it is not very dry by morning it is too heavy of fabric and wearing damp clothes is miserable...I don't know about fleece but three layers of quick dry clothes is better than one layer of heavy damp clothes...I completed my Camino in September and every morning it took about an hour of wearing my damp washed clothes to get them up to body temperature...and expect to be wet from sweat everyday so washing clothes daily becomes a necessity unless you like the smell of your own body odor.

Mary, I walked in May 2014 and Sept 2015. Both had hot, cold, sunny and rainy times, sometime on the same day. And wind! Lessons I learned from my first walk is layer, layer, layer. Cold mornings Under Armour short sleeve tee shirt, long sleeve light weight merino wool top and light weight Eddie Bauer zippered fleece, no hood. My rain coat is an Altus type which covers my backpack and is loose and while stops the wind and rain doesn't add warmth or really much weight. Even on the coldest mornings (see your breath) with leggings under my hiking pants, I was warm and comfortable. As the day warmed and I heated, easy to remove layers on the go. All very light and packed very small.
On my first walk I brought a rain jacket (Eddie Bauer) but didn't the second time. I did regret is as there were days where the rain was more mist than a downpour and the long rain coat was overkill so if you can afford the weight and space take a light weigh rain jacket. I would replace at least one layer, likely merino wool as I like the cozy feel of light fleece.
I brought a Buff, that multi purpose headwear/bandana thing. Excellent head wear for heat or cold. No hood needed.

Buan Camino!

Mary

I have walked the English and the short Portuguese caminos, one in early spring and the other in the fall. I perfer and use synthetics. My daily dress---synthetic tee shirt, under shorts, long sleeve shirt, converter pants, light weight fleece or down vest, mid weight wool socks, cheap zip up fleece without a hood, I carry a watch cap for cold weather, and a water and wind proof nylon shell. I do take a base layer, use them for PJs in coed dorms . Oh and a zip up poncho wit space for a pack. Galicia is like the Pacific Northwest, it can be very wet very often! This year I'm adding bikecycle rider sleeves. Slip them on for instant long sleeve tee shirts. One heavy and one light weight set, works great. Check out REI, their very knowledgeable and have a 12 month return policy. Located all over Texas.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
After a long testing period what work for me which is important to note that what works for me may not work for you, my system for early spring and fall is consistent with most long distance hikers here in the US while on the move and is as follow: base layer Next to skin long sleeve merino wool 150 ( warm even soaked wet) the job of a base layer is to absorb the sweat from the skin and transfer to the mid layer keeping you dry and less of a chance of hyperthermia second layer or mid layer a long sleeve wool zip neck 150, 3rd layer is my rain jacket and I add a neck gaiter and wool hat I also carry a short sleeve wool shirt that I could use as my base layer and 5oz Montbell puffy for when I stop so it keep me from loosing body heat. So experiment what works for you, everything has a price poliester is less expensive then wool but better then nylon, you can find some very good synthetic materials without going for name brand, even with natural fibers you can find on sale outlets are are great.

Buen Camino
Zzotte

Layers: a short sleeve synthetic or Merino. Then long sleeve, relatively light as you may also want to use it as sun protection midday. The a light fleece, like the LLBean Finess Fleece. Finally the rain jacket. Hoods in my opinion are just a pain as they generate heat when you don't want it. And do you really think you will need a head covering at that time of the year? Bring a Buff then ( although they annoy me but many love them); they make them in Merino.

@dougfiz; why avoid polyprpylene. If you are a heavy sweating person, pp has the largest index for transporting humidity to the next layer...
What properties of pp do you not like/ approve of !??
I ask because my pure merino base layer tended to get wet on CF (may with cold mornings) when I got hot and back in my humid & cold climate I now use Helly Hansen base layer pp or a pp/merino mix base layer with good results...
You are right, polypropylene has good wicking performance. But I have found wearing it I quite quickly becomes obnoxiously odorous, and it takes a lot of washing to properly remove the smell. I still have some polypropylene thermals, but otherwise I have polyester/wool blends, some polyester/elastamine, anti-bacterial treated polartec and a couple of pure fine wool items I use as base layers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I love my light polar fleece 100 zip up jacket. Upon the frequent recommendation to use merino or merino blends, while some feel silky to touch I just find them uncomfortable against my skin. I also have a hooded polar fleece 300 which I have used for alpine and winter conditions, bulky but light, won't take it on my camino. I use my gortex for wind, snow, rain protection.
Base layer will either be a Macpac Geothermals top or Columbia Omni wick long sleeve top or both if really cold.
I am traveling early April to mid May. Hopefully will be warm enough.

Mary

Clothing is such a personal thing :rolleyes: Some people 'run' hot and others cold.

There are as many opinions on clothing here as there are on boots and back packs :D

So I'll add some more!

I walked at the same time in 2015 as you are planning. Overall I was warm, and hot. Except for the evenings as it cooled a bit.

I wore no base layer (on top).

I walked in trekking pants and a very light shirt. That's it. The shirt was so light it dried in about an hour! A nylon mix I think. I tried every shirt you can imagine. I sweated in all of them. So I just went fort the lightest.

Some people swear by Marino. I have 3 Marino trekking shirts and 3 Marino base layer shirts. The trekking shirts take ages to dry. And both the trekking shirts and base layer shirts when worn (not together), are (for me at least) like trekking in the desert with a thick wool sweater on :oops: And both styles are the lightest weight made by IceBreaker.

The only time I wore Mario, was at night, as it got cooler and my walking shirt was drying out on the line. On cool evening I would wear a shirt and my rain jacket.

In 40 days, I only walked in my shirt. Except 3 days when it rained and I wore a very light Gortex rain jacket and pants. I never wore a fleece whilst walking. It would be too hot. I think I might have worn it twice, in the evenings. On a couple of chilly mornings, I started out with my rain jacket on. Just to provide an extra layer and protection from wind. It usually came off within the first hour.

I wore long sleeves, at all times, usually wit the collar turned up as well, to add to sun protection. And a wide hat, with a neck flap. and even gloves. My hands were getting sun burnt. And the very lightweight gloves actually felt more comfortable anyway as I was holding trekking poles every step of the way. They tended to soak up sweat as well.

But........ as many wise people say on this Forum. Pack for the climate and dress for the weather ;) Which is unpredictable year on year...

Light weight layers give you lots of options. I actually planned to take a couple of spare shirts of different types and see which ones were most comfortable and then just ditch the others.

This was my everyday walking 'uniform'.

See the video clipped titled 'Avoiding Sunburn'. Third one down I think. http://robscamino.com/7th-of-may-the-way-to-navarrete/

To the OP: there are different thicknesses of fleece. You can probably find a lighter weight fleece and don't need a hood. And yes, fleece might not be that warm, but is very breathable. Add an outer windproof (waterproof) later and you'll be plenty warm. I've been going back and forth, but plan to bring a lightweight down jacket, as I can pack it really small when I don't need it. ( Unlike fleece, I'll need to be sure I don't get it wet, though)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
To the OP: there are different thicknesses of fleece. You can probably find a lighter weight fleece and don't need a hood. And yes, fleece might not be that warm, but is very breathable. Add an outer windproof (waterproof) later and you'll be plenty warm. I've been going back and forth, but plan to bring a lightweight down jacket, as I can pack it really small when I don't need it. ( Unlike fleece, I'll need to be sure I don't get it wet, though)

A good point! There are fleeces and then there are fleeces ;)

Mine is very thin and only weighs 430 gms.

That's about 15 oz I think for those living in the mid 20th Century :D

A good point! There are fleeces and then there are fleeces ;)

Mine is very thin and only weighs 430 gms.
This seems rather heavy for a light fleece. I have a 22o gm fleece jumper (no zip) and two tops with quarter zips at around 26o gm (all size XL). I used the 1/4 zip MacPac for previous long pilgrimage walks, and I expect to do that again this year.

This seems rather heavy for a light fleece. I have a 22o gm fleece jumper (no zip) and two tops with quarter zips at around 26o gm (all size XL). I used the 1/4 zip MacPac for previous long pilgrimage walks, and I expect to do that again this year.

Agreed. I'm sure I could have found lighter! But I do like a zip. This was probably the one piece of gear I did not research enough :oops:

Actually, you now have me thinking.... I used it so little, maybe next time I'll leave it and just take an IceBreaker (Marino) 1/2 zip long sleeve tee. I don't have the weight to hand (and not on their website), but probably well under 200 gm and super warm.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Agreed. I'm sure I could have found lighter! But I do like a zip. This was probably the one piece of gear I did not research enough :oops:

Actually, you now have me thinking.... I used it so little, maybe next time I'll leave it and just take an IceBreaker (Marino) 1/2 zip long sleeve tee. I don't have the weight to hand (and not on their website), but probably well under 200 gm and super warm.
I have a couple of technical shirts from Paddy Pallin that weigh under 200gm that are candidates for my middle layer this year, but nothing that light in a fine wool fabric. Most of what I currently have in fine wool is around 260 gm. I also don't find that as warm as the fleece. The knitted fabrics are much thinner than the fleece, and doesn't capture as much air.

For the coldest days, I have started out wearing a polyester/otton t-shirt (85% poly, so it dries very fast), a thin silk shirt, a medium-weight zippered fleece jacket and my all-weather raincoat, along with my wool scarf (thin, huge square which can be folded in many ways to provide warmth, sun protection or isolation from an irritating strap), wool hat and gloves. After 2 km, no matter what kind of weather we're having, I'm usually down to t-shirt, silk shirt, scarf and gloves, unless it's raining. Walking, with my back nicely isolated by a well-fitted backpack, makes me warm up quite quickly. I like layering, and pack so I can quickly get things off and on for breaks.

I LOVE my fleece jacket for evenings in chilly albergues and sometimes wear it in my sleeping bag if it's chilly.

Clothing is such a personal thing :rolleyes: Some people 'run' hot and others cold.

Some people swear by Merino. I have 3 Merino trekking shirts and 3 Merino base layer shirts. The trekking shirts take ages to dry. And both the trekking shirts and base layer shirts when worn (not together), are (for me at least) like trekking in the desert with a thick wool sweater on :oops: And both styles are the lightest weight made by IceBreaker.

Last September, I used the Icebreaker Cool-Lite t-shirts instead of a synthetic technical t-shirt - does what it says on the tin - short-sleeved only
No base layer, would use windproof rain jacket (or wear other Cool-Lite shirt) if colder

Fleeces are heavy and, more importantly for me, bulky - if I were going during the winter, I'd use my expensive but warm hypertherm jacket from Berghaus (less than 170g or 6oz in old money)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In 2014 there was snow and high wind at O'Cebreiro in mid May when we were there. It was so very cold. So take your fleece.

I walk in the autumn.
Most mornings it's warm enough to start reasonably early with a long-sleeved polyester shirt over which goes a 100 weight fleece.
As the day warms I unzip the fleece gradually, then finally remove it completely.

On the odd colder morning I utilise a polypropylene base layer as well. (I will replace it with a less than 19 micron wool t-shirt when it wears out)

I have never utilised my Alus poncho as a 4th layer for warmth, but it is there to cater for this eventuality.

Regards
Gerard

You are right, polypropylene has good wicking performance. But I have found wearing it I quite quickly becomes obnoxiously odorous, and it takes a lot of washing to properly remove the smell. I still have some polypropylene thermals, but otherwise I have polyester/wool blends, some polyester/elastamine, anti-bacterial treated polartec and a couple of pure fine wool items I use as base layers.
@dougfitz; see what you mean, smelly, bad odours, though I never had that problem..
they say that polarity is the cause of textiles attracting odurs, hence the reason wool does not pick up body smell ( in a greater degree).
I myself dfind nylon gear that are used for football and track practise are terribly prone to BO ( body odour) and they ususally stink to high heaven.
In my use of polypropylene, I always carry a layer of merino wool over it to have the said wicking effeft...

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
IMO, the typical fleece jacket or pull-over is too heavy and bulky, especially if it has a hood. I'd recommend primaloft instead -- it's lighter than fleece and almost as compressible as down, but does not loose its insulation properties when wet like down. Most will stuff into one of the pockets, or you can carry a small nylon stuff sack to keep it compressed in your backpack. Check L.L. Bean, REI, Lands End, etc. for examples.

We walked in late August through the end of September. I carried two short-sleeve polyester T-shirts, one long-sleeved polyester T-shirt, one long-sleeve polyester trekking shirt, one lightweight fleece (probably 100-gram or 150 gram) button-up shirt, and a rain jacket. (I did not have a primaloft at the time.) For most of the cool mornings just a short-sleeve T-shirt and the trekking shirt were sufficient. However, by mid-September when we reached Galicia, the mornings were cool and damp - sometimes misty. On those days I wore the long-sleeve T-shirt, trekking shirt, and fleece shirt, plus, depending on wind or degree of dampness, also the rain jacket. I also carried a fleece watch cap, which I never used.

I'd ditch the fleeces and maybe the base layer - instead buy some Merino wool shirts (I use Icebreaker) - but keep the rain jackets
My base layers are Icebreaker Marino wool. Love them

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hike in the Pacific Northwest for my training. I like Smart wool base layer and light weight fleece plus rain gear. That is all I seem to need otherwise I get too warm. Most of our winter training is in rain and temps around 35-45 degrees. We are walking our Camino starting in mid-March through the end of April. I am hoping for warmer weather than I am experiencing here at home.
Ultreya
Buen Camino

Wow. Thank you all for your answers. I'll have to sort through them and check out your recommendations. To clarify - I am very cold natured. So far I have Icebreaker Marino long sleeve and short sleeve shirts (base layer, pretty light weight), the aforementioned fleece jacket and a Marmot rain jacket and pants, plus a buff. I'm thinking of getting another long-sleeve base layer, switching to a lighter fleece and/or some kind of button down shirt (silk?). The rain jacket I can use when it's cold or windy and of course when it rains. Haven't figured out pants yet but have a pair of tech base layer tights (I can always use to sleep in). I don't want to carry a sleeping bad, but have a liner. Mary

Wow. Thank you all for your answers. I'll have to sort through them and check out your recommendations. To clarify - I am very cold natured. So far I have Icebreaker Marino long sleeve and short sleeve shirts (base layer, pretty light weight), the aforementioned fleece jacket and a Marmot rain jacket and pants, plus a buff. I'm thinking of getting another long-sleeve base layer, switching to a lighter fleece and/or some kind of button down shirt (silk?). The rain jacket I can use when it's cold or windy and of course when it rains. Haven't figured out pants yet but have a pair of tech base layer tights (I can always use to sleep in). I don't want to carry a sleeping bad, but have a liner. Mary

Very glad to have helped you in a small way to frame your next step

Not too sure about a silk shirt - I'd be doubling up on both the Merino shirts - you could try wearing both the short and long sleeve at the same time with and without the rain jacket before you go shopping

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Go to a well equiped outdoor store and ask for advise and have a try before buy .
As we did and found good quality lightweight fleeces and a very light, thin , breathing rainjacket.
We used them on 3 caminos and one long distance path in Holland.
All our walks we did in May. Never suffered from coldth.
We even used the combination two weeks ago in "rainy" north of Portugal during a round of golf . Temperatures of 12 ° C. No problem at all.

There are two, basic schools of preference on this:
  • The merino wool aficionados, who swear by it.
  • The synthetic fabric folks (like me) who swear by their choice as well.
People tend to be passionate about THEIR choice. But, it is a personal preference and an opinion. Bear that in mind.

Both camps have merit. My advice is to experiment BEFORE you go on Camino, then proceed with the solution that works best FOR YOU. Personally, as I itch when sweaty, and do not like feeling sweaty in any conditions, I prefer the synthetics, as they dry while walking. However, I accept that others will find the merino wool superior. C'est la vie! Enough about base layers...

As regards a fleece mid-layer, please know that there are several standard thicknesses of fleece. All function similarly, but the thicker varieties have more insulation capability. None are wind resistant. You need to add an outer layer for win protection.

The industry-standard Polartec fleece (the inventor of this recycled plastic product) comes in three weights of thicknesses, referred to as: Polartec 100, 200, or 300. GENERALLY the 200 and 300 level fleeces are available with hoods. The 100 level fleece is good as a sweater or pull replacement.

I have been a fan of Polartec since it was first invented some 30 years ago. You know it is made from recycled soft drink or water bottles?

Anyway, my decades of experience and use, both casually and in performance situations, like the Camino, resulted in my finding that, for active pursuits, like walking the Camino with a rucksack, the "best" solution" appears to be a Polartec 100 or 200 level fleece without a hood, and with a full-zip front. This provides the needed insulation with the least relative weight.

For example, here is a link to the Cabela's fleece jacket page (Cabela's is a huge outdoor sports supplier in the US):

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/sear...e+jacket&searchTypeByFilter=TopRated&x=10&y=6

If you "drill down" on specific products, you will find the level of fleece mentioned in the description. For example, look at this item:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/colu...TopRated&x=10&y=6&Ntt=polar+tec+fleece+jacket

This Polartec jacket features 200 level fleece, without a hood, but with a full zip. I have one exactly like it, but from the North Face. It works just fine and it my "go to" mid-layer. The issue of hood, versus no hood, is again, a personal preference. There is no wrong answer. Personally, I prefer no hood, plus a ball cap, sun hat, and or a Buff worn as a skull cap. I am never cold, wet perhaps, but never cold.

I think you get the point. My only other advice in this regard is to consider what you will wear UNDER and OVER this fleece. Buy the correct sizes.

For example, If the fleece is a size MEDIUM, worn over a size medium base layer, make sure the outer layer is roomy enough (LARGE?) for movement. We do not want to go 'a sauntering' on the Camino looking like a sausage...:eek: Try stuff on in advance if you can. Just as an FYI, I have also had luck finding fleece garments in factory outlet stores. Try it.

The fleece is intended as a middle layer, over the base layer and under a wind-proof, perhaps waterproof outer layer. A typical configuration would be a short or long sleeve base layer (merino wool or performance synthetic fiber), covered by the zip-up fleece, covered by a waterproof rain parka.

I also use an additional poncho. It serves as a rain-fly. Depending on the ambient weather and winds, I can remove the rain parka, and wear the poncho over the fleece. The fleece serves as a jacket or light coat in the evening, or on "rest-days."

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
looking like a sausage
I hate the sausage feel even worse than the look. That is a very good point about sizes and layers. I use a rain jacket on the camino that is very large on me for normal use. I can wear all my tops for warmth, and I can create a kangaroo pouch between the chest strap and the hip belt, where my phone-camera, guide book, etc can ride dry and conveniently accessible. The very long sleeves are often folded up once, but in the rain I can unfold them to help keep my hands and gloves warm and drier, even when I am using poles.

Layering is ceratinly a sensible principle - but how many layers you need for a spring/summer camino depends on how badly you feel the cold

I will wear a single layer Merino wool (just like the Polartec, it comes in a variery of weights - I go for 140/150 but heavier such as 250 is also avaiable) with rain jacket if needed

And always bear in mind that Spain has lots of sun - and hence any cold period first thing in the morning is not likely to last very long (an hour or two)

I would also prefer to bring two of my single layer shirts rather than two different layers as this means I can typically change at lunchtime or, if colder, wear both at the same time

My suggestion would be to walk from Lockhart to Buda and see what works for you as for clothing.
The weather will be similar as march in your neck of the woods,except for those south Texas gully washers that happen in the spring time. The climate can always be iffy and unpredictable at best, but don't fret, it will most likely be better than you may think. Those bulky fleece items may be over kill, but it depends on you tolerance for the elements as well. You can always purchase clothing along the way if need be. A great adventure awaits you. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In regards to items for warmth, a couple of people have mentioned the buff. I loved the buff and used it for neck warmth, a head band, over my eyes at night, over my nose in smelly areas. It is truly has many uses. If you want one, I would suggest that you wait to buy one in SJPdP. They have many different camino related ones with the entire map on the buff. One of my best souvenirs.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back