• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flight and accommodation problems: Rescheduling everything

Lhollo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF pt2, Belorado to Sarria, May 21 – June 12, 2022
Hello all!

I’ve taken the sad decision to postpone our September Camino (stage 1 of the Camino Frances) to next May/early June. Last night, I changed my flights, but there’s now a problem because the new flights arrive in Bilbao at 10pm at night. I planned to stay in Pamplona on the first night then take the bus to SJPP the next day.

I have two appealing options, as far as I can tell: I can hire a car or taxi to get to Pamplona, and find accommodation there with a 24 hour reception desk; this presumes that car hire companies at the airport are still open late at night. Or I can change the flights again, lose a day from our Camino, and arrive at around 5pm the next day. Even then, though, I don’t have time to get to SJPP on the same day, but I could get to Pamplona more easily, and we are keen to take that route. I know that staying in Bilbao then taking the coastal route to Bayonne is an option (although for public transport it seems expensive?), but we loved the idea of an extra morning in Pamplona.

(Edit... the first section, from SJPP to Roncesvalles, is particularly important to us so we do want to begin the Camino in SJPP).

The accommodation I had booked in Pamplona is the only one that charges a cancellation fee. Their check-in closes at midnight and so far they have not responded to my enquiries.

Because of a medical condition, we are booking all of our rooms in advance, so all of the rescheduling is on hold until this first night/flight can be resolved.

What do you suggest?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I suggest start in Pamplona.

Stay overnight in Bilbao and get a bus early the next am to Pamplona and start walking - get your first Stamp at the Cathedral.

Just a thought. I'm sure you will get other suggestions.

I suggest start in Pamplona.

Stay overnight in Bilbao and get a bus early the next am to Pamplona and start walking - get your first Stamp at the Cathedral.

Just a thought. I'm sure you will get other suggestions.
Ah, I probably should have made clear that the first section from SJPP to Roncesvalles is probably the most important for us of all! Sorry for not making that obvious, and thank you for your reply. Getting to SJPP, ideally via Pamplona, is the issue. I've edited my initial post to reflect this now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From Bilbao, why go to Pamplona at all before you walk? You'll get there on foot and will have plenty of time to explore it.
Go to Bayonne, and then to SJPP from there; if you left in the morning there would be enough time to walk to either Valcarlos or Orisson. Or take the direct way to Pamplona from Bayonne on the Baztanes.
Edit, seeing your reply!

If you are not getting into Bilbao until 10pm about your only option is to get into town and find a room. You had better make sure the shuttle bus runs that late from the airport. Even finding an inexpensive hotel there that late at night is going to be an issue. I have stay and several low cost places which are not far from the bus terminal. Hotel St Mames and Optimi Rooms. The second is a hostel with private sleeping pods. The only two accommodations at the airport are a Holiday Inn Express and Hotel New Bibao, I have stayed at both of them and they run shuttles from the airport, they are very popular for business and international travelers because so many flights originate at 6am from the airport.
This will give you the entire next day to get to SJPdP, there is a bus from Bilbao to San Sebastian and Bayonne, train from San Sebastian to Bayonne and of course the train from Bayonne to SJPdP, if yopu chose the break up the transport that way. It's not speedy but it's reliable and you will eventually get there. Check the schedules on Rome2Rio.

If you are not getting into Bilbao until 10pm about your only option is to get into town and find a room. You had better make sure the shuttle bus runs that late from the airport. Even finding an inexpensive hotel there that late at night is going to be an issue. I have stay and several low cost places which are not far from the bus terminal. Hotel St Mames and Optimi Rooms. The second is a hostel with private sleeping pods. The only two accommodations at the airport are a Holiday Inn Express and Hotel New Bibao, I have stayed at both of them and they run shuttles from the airport, they are very popular for business and international travelers because so many flights originate at 6am from the airport.
This will give you the entire next day to get to SJPdP, there is a bus from Bilbao to San Sebastian and Bayonne, train from San Sebastian to Bayonne and of course the train from Bayonne to SJPdP, if yopu chose the break up the transport that way. It's not speedy but it's reliable and you will eventually get there. Check the schedules on Rome2Rio.
Thank you! I think I'll either do this, or reschedule the flight. What is taxi availability like at night, from Bilbao airport? I presume that it'd be fairly simple to jump in a taxi to a hotel nearer to the bus station?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you! I think I'll either do this, or reschedule the flight. What is taxi availability like at night, from Bilbao airport? I presume that it'd be fairly simple to jump in a taxi to a hotel nearer to the bus station?
Taxis are normally waiting for planes to land, so probably not a problem. Hotel rooms are harder to come by.

Taxis are normally waiting for planes to land, so probably not a problem. Hotel rooms are harder to come by.
Excellent! I've booked a place in Bilbao: AliciaZzz Bed And Breakfast. It's close to the station. We'll abandon the idea of going through Pamplona and instead head to Bayonne the next morning, then over to SJPP. As ever, you've been a brilliant help on the forum! Thank you!

If you are thinking of rescheduling the flight, consider flying to Bayonne/Biarritz airport instead of Bilbao. It is the most convenient for getting to SJPP.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are thinking of rescheduling the flight, consider flying to Bayonne/Biarritz airport instead of Bilbao. It is the most convenient for getting to SJPP.
Thanks for this. I've managed to rearrange things so it's all ok now. I did want to fly to either of the airports you suggested but the flights in total would be 4x the price of those to Bilbao, from my part of the UK, so it's just not feasible for us! It took me quite a long time to accept this :D

I see you’ve worked it out but for others looking for other convenient points of entry, Bordeaux (BOD) offers another option. Regular shuttle between the airport and station. Trains to Bayonne with a change to SJPP. From BOD, I was in SJPP in about 4 hours.

An idea for your way back or the flight to your second stage whenever it will be.

Airport Vitoria-Gasteiz in the Basque Country.

By train it´s around one hour away from Pamplona and also Burgos. There are no direct flights to UK (for example via Mallorca), but they are quite cheap.

And.....Vitoria-Gasteiz is a very nice city if you have one day :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Excellent! I've booked a place in Bilbao: AliciaZzz Bed And Breakfast. It's close to the station. We'll abandon the idea of going through Pamplona and instead head to Bayonne the next morning, then over to SJPP. As ever, you've been a brilliant help on the forum! Thank you!
Good for you. Keep in mind this B&B may be close to the train station but the bus terminal is probably about 2 miles away.

Good for you. Keep in mind this B&B may be close to the train station but the bus terminal is probably about 2 miles away.
5DF04928-9D77-4649-8E37-2BCA3E115894.pngI hope I haven’t misunderstood the bus information on Rome2Rio. The thing is, I zoomed in on the route and the quickest bus appears to leave from by the train station, as in the screenshot. If I’ve got this wrong then worst case scenario we’ll take a taxi. Edit… So I’ve now realised that the quickest option on Rome2Rio is with Ibericoach, in the middle of the night, and only three days per week. You’re quite right and all the other buses leave from the terminal on the other side of the city, but according to Google it’s only a 31 minute walk. Hey ho! Thanks for drawing my attention to this 👍🏻

Last edited:
So I’ve now realised that the quickest option on Rome2Rio is with Ibericoach, in the middle of the night, and only three days per week.

Rome2Rio is just a guide. Follow the links to the source. The actual transport schedules are often quite different. Happy planning and Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are two companies from the Bus Terminal, some times they want you to have a ticket in hand. When it gets closes to the day of your departure you might want to check that out, there was a time when they wouldn't sell tickets on the buses. The ticket office at that Terminal is pretty crowded most of the time.

I came in late to Bilbao, took taxi to Holiday Inn, then got a taxi right to the train station early next morning...easy transition.

If time is a factor in making connections spend the money for a taxi!

Hello all!

I’ve taken the sad decision to postpone our September Camino (stage 1 of the Camino Frances) to next May/early June. Last night, I changed my flights, but there’s now a problem because the new flights arrive in Bilbao at 10pm at night. I planned to stay in Pamplona on the first night then take the bus to SJPP the next day.

I have two appealing options, as far as I can tell: I can hire a car or taxi to get to Pamplona, and find accommodation there with a 24 hour reception desk; this presumes that car hire companies at the airport are still open late at night. Or I can change the flights again, lose a day from our Camino, and arrive at around 5pm the next day. Even then, though, I don’t have time to get to SJPP on the same day, but I could get to Pamplona more easily, and we are keen to take that route. I know that staying in Bilbao then taking the coastal route to Bayonne is an option (although for public transport it seems expensive?), but we loved the idea of an extra morning in Pamplona.

(Edit... the first section, from SJPP to Roncesvalles, is particularly important to us so we do want to begin the Camino in SJPP).

The accommodation I had booked in Pamplona is the only one that charges a cancellation fee. Their check-in closes at midnight and so far they have not responded to my enquiries.

Because of a medical condition, we are booking all of our rooms in advance, so all of the rescheduling is on hold until this first night/flight can be resolved.

What do you suggest?
Our first camino we spent the night in Bilbao, took the morning bus to Bayonne, then to SJPP. We stopped in Orisson, then Roncesvalles. I wouldn't miss Orisson for anything. Anyway we spent 2 nights in Pamplona when we got there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You could also consider flying into Pau and taking the train/bus to SJPP

If you fly in to Pau you could just start walking from there, either to Somport or St. Jean.

Also, if the Pamplona establishment charges a cancellation fee, maybe they will move your dates, without charge, to the third night after SJPP ( which is when you might arrive by foot). Perhaps worth a try!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back