• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flight cancellations and customer service

peregrina2000

Staff member
Just about a week ago, I was in Madeira, hoping to arrive in Lisbon on a Sunday night. Our flight to Lisbon was delayed several times because of high winds, and then they finally cancelled it. My first surprise was that during the several hours of delay, TAP gave us all vouchers to go get something to eat in the airport. But then, much to my astonishment, when the flight was finally cancelled, we were not just left to fend for ourselves. We got vouchers for taxis to and from the airport, a reservation in a nearby 4 star hotel and both dinner and breakfast were included. My jaw literally dropped. I assume this is an EU requirement? In the US, as many of us know, when a flight is cancelled because of weather, oh well, it's your problem!

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very interesting. I've been treated that well in the US when cancelled for mechanicals but not for weather.

Some of the people I talked to in the airport while we were all waiting told me that not all airlines are as compliant as TAP. So, word to the wise, if you are in Europe and your flight is cancelled, know your rights!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It depends what weather it is if you get this kind of customer service or not. If it is unexpected and heavy like snow, fog or a thunderstorm airlines can offer this customer service to protect from money replacement and more. They have to do the customer service if the airplane has mechanical issues or the crew is not complete at the airport. And if there is an unexpected extreme bad weather like a snow storm.
In your case is was in Madeira and the runway is build " into" the ocean. The winds there are heavy and strong. Often flights get cancelled. They could fly, but you as a passenger would be very scared. And this makes the difference. They could fly but decide to stay in place. So they have to support you.

I hope I could explain the difference between they have to support the passengers or they can support them.

Hi Laurie, a couple of years ago I got bumped off a morning flight from Lisbon to Rome by TAP as they had overbooked. They scheduled me onto the late evening flight instead and gave me FOUR HUNDRED EUROS IN CASH as compensation, plus lunch vouchers. I spent a lovely day at the airport chatting with the nice young man from Mozambique who had also got bumped off.
Jill

Hola Laurie - you have just had the benefit of the EU consumer laws. Sometimes the airlines - especially the full service ones - will volunteer the service you experienced, some you not only need to ASK you might even need to be a bit forceful. My only reservation was that the delay/cancellation was not TAP's fault - it was weather related, so they have just decided that the hotel was the best customer service option. Don't let your US airlines hear about this - I can hear their screams here in Oz. Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yup, standard way of handling things in Europe. Mind you, flying back from Mexico one day in transit in the US our flight was delayed so we arrived too late to catch the next one. Shuttle to the airport Sheraton and a night there paid for. May have been one of the NYC airportd or O'Hare.

Peregrina2000,
Glad your, "Act of God", flight problem was handled in a godly manner.
Travel well and buen camino.

A Canadian friend of mine just reminded me that when she was stranded in London due to the Icelandic volcanic eruption, BA put her up, full room and board, for two weeks! in central London!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just about a week ago, I was in Madeira, hoping to arrive in Lisbon on a Sunday night. Our flight to Lisbon was delayed several times because of high winds, and then they finally cancelled it. My first surprise was that during the several hours of delay, TAP gave us all vouchers to go get something to eat in the airport. But then, much to my astonishment, when the flight was finally cancelled, we were not just left to fend for ourselves. We got vouchers for taxis to and from the airport, a reservation in a nearby 4 star hotel and both dinner and breakfast were included. My jaw literally dropped. I assume this is an EU requirement? In the US, as many of us know, when a flight is cancelled because of weather, oh well, it's your problem!

Buen camino, Laurie
Our flight from Guadalajara was once cancelled due to something wrong with the plane...they put us up in the airport hotel for the night and gave us vouchers for dinner and breakfast. Another time in MX, we got free drinks and food on board. In Canada you have to pay for your own hotel if needed, but you do get vouchers to eat at the airport and sometimes, a free flight voucher. I´ve never had a US flight cancelled...

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back