Search 59,165 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Flight cancellations from volcano

pilgrimgal

It's looking sketchy whether my Dad and I will be able to get to Portugal or not in the first week of May - flights may still be cancelled due to volcanic ash! Is anyone else experiencing this set-back en route to the camino?
Cath

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Cath, can you not re-route to Madrid and then take a train from there?
There are two daily trains and they take about 10-hour to Lisbon - cost around 60 euro

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
pilgrimgal said:
It's looking sketchy whether my Dad and I will be able to get to Portugal or not in the first week of May - flights may still be cancelled due to volcanic ash! Is anyone else experiencing this set-back en route to the camino?
Cath
I think Portugal is fine...as far as I understand no ash there..unless you fly via London of course..

As of the TV news just now, only 6 countries have closed their airspace in europe at this moment... it is starting to pick up... and in Island, it has started to rain..cooling down the volcano and the rains takes down the ash as well.. someone should drop some ice cubes in it! ...I mean... it is Iceland...

Saludos,
Ivar

ksam

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Portuguese '08, Frances '11, del Norte '14, Invierno '16, Ingles '17, Primitivo October 2018
Ivar, who knows, with all that ash in the air, we may wind up with another "ice" age! :shock:

pilgrimgal

Our flight does go through London, but they're apparently opening the airport again tomorrow. We're keeping our fingers crossed! Hopefully the volcano with the ridiculously long name won't erupt again...

Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

flamidwyfe

I'm in Abu Dhabi and we were suppose to fly to Heathrow last night, of course it was cancelled.

We are now rebooked to fly to Casablanca on Friday night, take train to Tangier, then ferry to Gibraltar, not sure how to get to Pamplona from there... any suggestions?

I've come to the conclusion that this is my first "lesson" from the Camino :roll: and all will be well... like my moms says, "the getting there is half the journey".

Sandi.. thanking God I have 39 days off from work and therefore, some flexibility!

DesertRose

flamidwyfe said:
We are now rebooked to fly to Casablanca on Friday night, take train to Tangier, then ferry to Gibraltar, not sure how to get to Pamplona from there... any suggestions?

I haven't checked flights, but for me the easiest way by land would be Gib-Malaga-Madrid-Pamplona. Train journey Malaga-Madrid is around 3 hours and EUR 80, then Madrid-Pamplona should be another 3 hours.

kstaylor

pilgrimgal said:
Our flight does go through London, but they're apparently opening the airport again tomorrow. We're keeping our fingers crossed! Hopefully the volcano with the ridiculously long name won't erupt again...

TAP just announced that it expects to have all backlogs resolved by Saturday, putting on extra flights if needed, and should have everything on its normal schedule by Saturday also. At least that was what they announced, per this mornings Lisbon newspaper (I'm in Barcelos at the moment).

Yesterday in Barcelos I met a pilgrim from Vancouver -- he is moving at a very rapid pace, by my standards anyway, so I doubt I'll run into him again.

Kit
kstaylor@centurytel.net

pilgrimgal

kstaylor said:
Yesterday in Barcelos I met a pilgrim from Vancouver -- he is moving at a very rapid pace, by my standards anyway, so I doubt I'll run into him again.

Hey, there's someone from close to home! Aaaand British Airways are working again, so everything will go as planned for us.
- Flamidwyfe, hope you arrive safe and sound!

flamidwyfe

pilgrimgal said:
kstaylor said:

Hey, there's someone from close to home! Aaaand British Airways are working again, so everything will go as planned for us.
- Flamidwyfe, hope you arrive safe and sound!

Leaving tonite, flying to Casablanca and working our way up from there, next avail. flight to London was May 8th :( So, we're coming our way, and learning lessons from the Camino already!!! :p

Blog updated:
http://flamidwyfe.wordpress.com/2010/04 ... g-6-25-kg/

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 102 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances