• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flight cancellations from volcano

pilgrimgal

It's looking sketchy whether my Dad and I will be able to get to Portugal or not in the first week of May - flights may still be cancelled due to volcanic ash! Is anyone else experiencing this set-back en route to the camino?
Cath

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cath, can you not re-route to Madrid and then take a train from there?
There are two daily trains and they take about 10-hour to Lisbon - cost around 60 euro

pilgrimgal said:
It's looking sketchy whether my Dad and I will be able to get to Portugal or not in the first week of May - flights may still be cancelled due to volcanic ash! Is anyone else experiencing this set-back en route to the camino?
Cath
I think Portugal is fine...as far as I understand no ash there..unless you fly via London of course..

As of the TV news just now, only 6 countries have closed their airspace in europe at this moment... it is starting to pick up... and in Island, it has started to rain..cooling down the volcano and the rains takes down the ash as well.. someone should drop some ice cubes in it! ...I mean... it is Iceland...

Saludos,
Ivar

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ivar, who knows, with all that ash in the air, we may wind up with another "ice" age! :shock:

Our flight does go through London, but they're apparently opening the airport again tomorrow. We're keeping our fingers crossed! Hopefully the volcano with the ridiculously long name won't erupt again...

I'm in Abu Dhabi and we were suppose to fly to Heathrow last night, of course it was cancelled.

We are now rebooked to fly to Casablanca on Friday night, take train to Tangier, then ferry to Gibraltar, not sure how to get to Pamplona from there... any suggestions?

I've come to the conclusion that this is my first "lesson" from the Camino :roll: and all will be well... like my moms says, "the getting there is half the journey".

Sandi.. thanking God I have 39 days off from work and therefore, some flexibility!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
flamidwyfe said:
We are now rebooked to fly to Casablanca on Friday night, take train to Tangier, then ferry to Gibraltar, not sure how to get to Pamplona from there... any suggestions?

I haven't checked flights, but for me the easiest way by land would be Gib-Malaga-Madrid-Pamplona. Train journey Malaga-Madrid is around 3 hours and EUR 80, then Madrid-Pamplona should be another 3 hours.

pilgrimgal said:
Our flight does go through London, but they're apparently opening the airport again tomorrow. We're keeping our fingers crossed! Hopefully the volcano with the ridiculously long name won't erupt again...

TAP just announced that it expects to have all backlogs resolved by Saturday, putting on extra flights if needed, and should have everything on its normal schedule by Saturday also. At least that was what they announced, per this mornings Lisbon newspaper (I'm in Barcelos at the moment).

Yesterday in Barcelos I met a pilgrim from Vancouver -- he is moving at a very rapid pace, by my standards anyway, so I doubt I'll run into him again.

Kit
kstaylor@centurytel.net

kstaylor said:
Yesterday in Barcelos I met a pilgrim from Vancouver -- he is moving at a very rapid pace, by my standards anyway, so I doubt I'll run into him again.

Hey, there's someone from close to home! Aaaand British Airways are working again, so everything will go as planned for us.
- Flamidwyfe, hope you arrive safe and sound!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
pilgrimgal said:
kstaylor said:

Hey, there's someone from close to home! Aaaand British Airways are working again, so everything will go as planned for us.
- Flamidwyfe, hope you arrive safe and sound!

Leaving tonite, flying to Casablanca and working our way up from there, next avail. flight to London was May 8th :( So, we're coming our way, and learning lessons from the Camino already!!! :p

Blog updated:
http://flamidwyfe.wordpress.com/2010/04 ... g-6-25-kg/

What an adventure!

I hope you will enjoy those stops you didn't plan for...

Casablanca... ::sigh::: sounds so exotic!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back