• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to make a train connection after a flight change?

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
Delta changed my flight and I won't arrive to Madrid until 0915am. I purchased a train ticket to Pamplona and it leaves at 1135am.....I'm worried I will miss it. Thoughts suggestions advice?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As long as your flight is somewhat on time, you should have plenty of time to get to Atocha Station.

Where is your flight originating from? If you clear customs at another connection in the EU, then you will be out of the Madrid airport very quickly. Even with going through customs you should have enough time. Plus taxis and Uber are an option if time gets limited.

It’s POSSIBLE you’ll make that connection, but only if everything goes smoothly! Bus from the airport to the train station is 45 mins, metro 30, and a cab could be faster or slower depending on traffic. Immigration/customs is always a huge unknown - sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes much more if multiple planes land at the same time or there are many non-EU folks on board.

Madrid is a major rail hub, so if you miss your train there will likely be more towards Pamplona later that day. If your ticket isn’t changeable (many are), you can gamble on making it and always buy a new ticket if you miss your train (or if your Spanish is good, explain yourself ask at the station office and see if they’ll credit your unused ticket towards a new one - doesn’t always happen, but you could get lucky as a foreign pilgrim!)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Delta changed my flight and I won't arrive to Madrid until 0915am. I purchased a train ticket to Pamplona and it leaves at 1135am.....I'm worried I will miss it. Thoughts suggestions advice?
If you are flying on Delta, you arrive in the old terminal, which means you have different choices than those who arrive in T4 (Iberia and partners).

1. Take the intra-airport bus to T4 and take the half hour train ride on CercanĂ­as (the commuter rail line) to Atocha.

2. Take the metro from the old terminal to Atocha. This will require a change in Nuevos Ministerios (which is a huge station with long distances between lines) and takes about a half hour if everything goes well.

3. A bus that seems like a pretty good option, but which I have never taken.

4. A taxi — 35 € flat fee. In a pinch, this is likely to be the fastest, at least if it’s not high rush hour.

Good luck, @EL LECHERO!

I recommend you research later train or bus times to get from Madrid to Pamplona. Stuff happens.

It is always advisable to have a Plan B, or a Plan C. I am certain there are later trains.

Flexibility is part of the fun of a Camino. You need to learn how to role with unanticipated changes.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are flying on Delta, you arrive in the old terminal, which means you have different choices than those who arrive in T4 (Iberia and partners).

1. Take the intra-airport bus to T4 and take the half hour train ride on CercanĂ­as (the commuter rail line) to Atocha.

2. Take the metro from the old terminal to Atocha. This will require a change in Nuevos Ministerios (which is a huge station with long distances between lines) and takes about a half hour if everything goes well.

3. A bus that seems like a pretty good option, but which I have never taken.

4. A taxi — 35 € flat fee. In a pinch, this is likely to be the fastest, at least if it’s not high rush hour.

Good luck, @EL LECHERO!
What is the terminal number that Delta flies in to? Also, will my flight from Santiago to Madrid fly into T4 or another?

Delta flies into the old airport, which is broken into three sections, T1, T2, and T3. Those three are all very close to each other, I’m not sure which specific part of the old terminal Delta goes into, but it really doesn’t matter because knowing that it’s not T4 means you know you don’t have easy access to Cercanías and will have to use the intra-airport bus to get to T4.

Which airline is your flight from Santiago to Madrid on? I always fly on Iberia or Iberia Express and they go into T4. I don’t know if there are other airlines that fly from Santiago to Madrid, though.

It takes about 20-25 minutes from the time you get into the taxi at MAD until you reach the Atocha train station. Usually you need to have your luggage screened to get to your train. So I would simply forget other transport, jump in a cab and if you come into Madrid on time you should be OK.

You also might want to just take carry your pack in the plane with you and if you need poles buy them in SJPdP or inPamplona. Then you won’t have to wait for luggage.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My husband took the Airport Bus from the Atocha Station this fall. It was 5 euros. It is a yellow bus and goes back and forth to Atocha. Is your train out of Atocha or Charmartin stations?

Honestly, it’s unlikely you’ll make that train.

The flight arrives 0915 + or - some time. You have to pass immigration, collect baggage and pass the health officials who will check your entry documentation and covid vaccination status. Then you need to get to Atocha (I use the yellow aerobĂşs) where you have to (briefly) pass your bag through security and get on the train.

If I were you I would book a later train or an overnight in Madrid - my usual option. It’s your decision, but I try to take the stress out of travel.

(Double check whether your train is from Atocha or Chamartin)

I have done exactly what El Lerchero is proposing - depending upon what day and time of year you are arriving - It is doable. I have done it twice. My plane arrived about the same time, and I made it with a bit of time to spare. I did purchase a second ticket, each time, way in advance, very cheap leaving a couple of hours later, in case I missed my train…but never needed them.

Last edited:
Probably not. Why don’t you call me? I thought you were staying in Madrid?

There are some astoundingly cheap flights from MAD to Pamplona around noon. I'm looking at Iberia flights the first two weeks in June. Leaving 12:25 arriving 1:25. $36. About the cost of a taxi to Atocha.

In August last year my flight arrived at 9:15, took taxi to Atocha, and had time to grab a bocadilla to go before boarding train.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In August last year my flight arrived at 9:15, took taxi to Atocha, and had time to grab a bocadilla to go before boarding train.
That would be awesome! lets hope but otherwise I will just let things play out and get there when I get there I guess.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back