• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flight departure points

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Like many others in Europe I can take advantage of cheap flights. I truly feel for the less fortunate amongst us who have such long and complicated journeys.
As I say I am quite fortunate but I sometimes wish that my nearest airport in Birmingham, England (supposedly the 2nd city) doesn't fly to Santiago (or SJPdP, Bilbao, A Coruna etc.)
In fact unless I want to start in Malaga, Barcelona or Lisbon I spend more time travelling in the UK than flying!
So please. Can those less fortunate take time for a little moan to remind me to be more grateful for what live gives me? Pretty please!
Edit. Sorry I meant to say I wish Birmingham HAD flights.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll think of you when I leave my home in Apr. It will only take three flights and 24 hours to reach Dubai, and a fourth flight and another 10 hours (three as the stopover) to reach Barcelona. I expect to be in my hotel a couple of hours later, and take the train the next day to Burgos, and a bus to Castrojeriz. I'm so sorry that you won't get such a wonderful opportunity. Perhaps it's time for you to plan an Australian pilgrimage.

I'll have a moan: it takes me 5 minutes to walk to the station, then 17 minutes by train from Leiden to Schiphol. I'll probably spend more time waiting around at the airport than I will actually travelling to get to Madrid. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
WOW Doug. Just what I needed to cheer me up after I waking up to a light snowfall this morning. Not that I revel in others misfortunes just that they help me to appreciate my good fortune. So thanks for humouring me. Buen Camino for April.

I am 23km from my local airport, so I could walk it if I wanted to but I think I'll have the hubby and dog drive me over at 5am. Then it's a regional commuter jet to the big city #1, another to big city #2 and my international flight to Madrid.

Hi guys.
As "Al" know very well, I just need to close the door of my house and in a minute I'm in the "Camino"
I am sorry:p

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll think of you when I leave my home in Apr. It will only take three flights and 24 hours to reach Dubai, and a fourth flight and another 10 hours (three as the stopover) to reach Barcelona. I expect to be in my hotel a couple of hours later, and take the train the next day to Burgos, and a bus to Castrojeriz. I'm so sorry that you won't get such a wonderful opportunity. Perhaps it's time for you to plan an Australian pilgrimage.[/QUO

An outstanding pilgrimage to begin your pilgrimage :)

EasyJet fly from Bristol to Bordeaux and Bilbao maybe that's an option for you Al.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
After reading about Doug's journey, I will not be complaining! Drive 5 minutes to the teeny airport (usually 2 gates, one for departures and one for arrivals, but they've been opening up a side gate for extra arrivals.) Then fly to Montreal before flying to Paris. (flight leaves home at 10h40 and lands in Paris the next morning at 5h40) We'll figure out how we're getting to SJPdP soon. On the way home, we'll get from Santiago to Madrid, then Madrid to Paris, then Paris to Toronto then Toronto to home. (Flight leaves Madrid at 10h10 and we get home at 11h05 pm - the yucky thing is that it will feel like about 3 or 4 am to us, the good thing is that it doesn't take long if we have checked bags! I shouldn't, because I'm not planning to check my bag.)

Like many others in Europe I can take advantage of cheap flights. I truly feel for the less fortunate amongst us who have such long and complicated journeys.
As I say I am quite fortunate but I sometimes wish that my nearest airport in Birmingham, England (supposedly the 2nd city) doesn't fly to Santiago (or SJPdP, Bilbao, A Coruna etc.)
In fact unless I want to start in Malaga, Barcelona or Lisbon I spend more time travelling in the UK than flying!
So please. Can those less fortunate take time for a little moan to remind me to be more grateful for what live gives me? Pretty please!
Patience has its rewards Al, so Suck It Up Buttercup. :) That's the best I could do for a moan. Have a safe and uneventful journey. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When are you leaving and starting Pi. My sister and I are travelling from NZ and starting on April 15
I leave a week before you do then. I leave NZ this Friday and will be in SJPP next week. We may meet up at some stage because I am in no hurry to the finish line ;-) Have a wonderful journey over! :)

I leave Christmas Island on a 3.5hr flight to Perth where I overnight then board a 22hr flight with a 2hr transit before reaching Paris. I then wait 2hrs before hopping on a train for 7.5 hrs to Bayonne with 1 connection. Stay the night there before heading to SJDP.
AND all this will only happen if the weather gods are shining on Christmas Island and my plane is able to land so I can then board it to start my journey. Fingers crossed everyone for good weather on April 16th :D

Thanks guys. Maybe your stories will help us appreciate how committed you must be to undertake such arduous journeys to share the Camino with us. Keep them coming!
EasyJet fly from Bristol to Bordeaux and Bilbao maybe that's an option for you Al.
Bristol Airport is a lovely little thing but very inconvenient to get to by public transport from Wolverhampton whereas Liverpool and Manchester are not so bad and get me also get to Bilbao, Jerez and Madrid. But I am still left with the dreaded Stansted or Gatwick for Santiago or Oviedo and Heathrow for A Coruna.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I leave Christmas Island on a 3.5hr flight to Perth where I overnight then board a 22hr flight with a 2hr transit before reaching Paris. I then wait 2hrs before hopping on a train for 7.5 hrs to Bayonne with 1 connection. Stay the night there before heading to SJDP.
AND all this will only happen if the weather gods are shining on Christmas Island and my plane is able to land so I can then board it to start my journey. Fingers crossed everyone for good weather on April 16th :D
Wow... unreal... hve a great journey, I hope everything works out just great. :)

Edit. Sorry I meant to say I wish Birmingham HAD flights.
Thanks Al, I am enjoying this post, it is awesome to see all the Ways to The Way :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I leave a week before you do then. I leave NZ this Friday and will be in SJPP next week. We may meet up at some stage because I am in no hurry to the finish line ;-) Have a wonderful journey over! :)
You too and we are on a bit of a time frame so quite possibly will catch up. Go well.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back